/prod/ - Music Production General

"goddammit i'll make it" edition

Production Resources:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff
pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q

/prod/ wiki - still looking for contributors
mu-sic-production.wikia.com
There's a severe lack of DAW descriptions in the wiki. If you're good with your tool of choice, consider writing a paragraph about it.

/prod/ IRC is up!
To join, you can go to rizon.net/chat
Choose a nick, put #/prod/ as channel. Enter!
Or you can get a lightweight desktop client here hexchat.github.io/downloads.html

Use clyp.it links for posting tracks
No Soundcloud links

Checking other peoples' clyp.it links and critiquing them keeps the thread healthy.

Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/jam-city/today
youtube.com/watch?v=CiFbb6Waj_A
clyp.it/vswrpfki
clyp.it/l2frjaj4
clyp.it/3qxrarrc
landr.com/es/how-to-mix
clyp.it/0jfvsahq
clyp.it/bwwxkrjl
clyp.it/tmtzyh5r
clyp.it/meqktwlw
m.youtube.com/watch?v=ITi6uat0BuQ
youtu.be/ITi6uat0BuQ
youtu.be/XiBYM6g8Tck
bedroomproducersblog.com/free-vst-plugins/
youtube.com/watch?v=g4gPKeM7bqQ&feature=youtu.be&list=PLFC57D274A1E94943
youtube.com/channel/UCLPDZo4177jVTM9jBHcEKGA
flvto.biz)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

? what now

gonna ask again:
soundcloud.com/jam-city/today
youtube.com/watch?v=CiFbb6Waj_A

how do I make drums like that? and do I make them so dynamic(don't know if that's the right word desu)?
also, pointing out any interesting details you hear in the mix would be really helpful. thanks

I dunno but they wanted it.

There's probably a better way but try tape compression and sidechaining. Route all your drum tracks to a single aux and then slap a tape compressor on it. Sidechain synths and bass to kick drum.

what?

I added that particular vocal as a joke but it made me realize that a (rap) vocal actually sounds really good during the build up. Too bad I don't know any decent rappers.

bump

So I posted this in a previous thread asking for help in the build up because I thought It sounded too emtpy. One user said it sounded fine and another one said it needs some nignogs rapping on it. So that's what I did. (The verse on the seond one it clearly a joke, not a serious verse. I just wanted to see how it would sound.) Need some more opinions.

Example:
clyp.it/vswrpfki
First part is with the joke rap verse, second is just a loop. Which do you guys think is better? Keep in mind the stupid verse is just filler until I can find something else.

Also, the beat is only half way done.

>clyp.it/vswrpfki
Posted the wrong link.

Should be
>clyp.it/l2frjaj4

clyp.it/3qxrarrc

hows the mixing engineering wise?

landr.com/es/how-to-mix
should be on the op tb h

Does anyone have a mother 32? Are you enjoying them? I'm considering getting 3.

I have one. I had fun blowing my own mind patching shit around randomly for a few days. I wish the LFO and filter tracked 1V/Oct. It sounds a lot better than my minibrute but I think I'm kinda already bored of the Mother. I'm standing on the edge of the money pit that is eurorack and it's bumming me out. I can't stop thinking about it but I can see myself blowing all my cash on something I'll probably play for a few hours a week. I don't have anything else I really wanna spend it on tho.

I'm a bitter depressed person however. The Mother is a well built instrument. I'd just buy modules and keep it to one mother tho.

clyp.it/0jfvsahq

opinions so far?
mix is still rough, thinking of adding some vocal samples... maybe from an old chicago house track?

>clyp.it/l2frjaj4
It definitely needs something there, i don't think a rap verse is it. But i do like how it sounds with a vocal tag after the build up.

>clyp.it/3qxrarrc
wow this is really good.
I can't listen on my monitors cause its late, but in my headphones the kick drum sounds a bit boxy.
great sound design btw, what did you use?

just take is slow, start with a eurorack case, then get something else.

i'm currently in the middle of that

>great sound design btw, what did you use?
For which part? Thanks by the way.

Are you regretting it at all? I've been researching eurorack for years. Picking modules to create a unique synth voice. As soon as I started playing with the mother I started thinking I want to try random/generative stuff instead but it has me confused and seems module intensive. Clock dividers, switches, S&H and all that kinda shit. I'm still not really sure how it comes together.

Same here. Probably gonna pull the trigger sometime next month and get a case and a few modules to pair with my ms-20m.

Not him but If you're interested in generative stuff but unsure why not try it digitally first? That's what I did, using max for a few years and then expanding upon it. Starting from scratch in max will really help you understand the mechanics of what is going on too

no regrets, though it is a money pit.
I've already spent over 1k, but bassically only have 2 VCOs and a sequencer.

next purchase will probably be a VCA or envelope generator... simply because they are cheaper than everything else i want

Check out the Make Noise Wogglebug. Use your LFO square out on your Mother to create a clock signal for the Wogglebug, which will output a whole bunch of varieties of randomness.

I've considered the wogglebug but I think I like the look of the SSF Ultra Random Analog a bit more.

I has this brainstorm the other day to run a squareout into the sync of my volca sample to try and do some granular stuff the other day. Didn't quite clock fast enough tho.

I dipped my toes into Max but got sidetracked. I definitely will before I commit much more cash tho. I made a pretty good patch in ableton using a ton of arps, MIDI gates and a ton of MIDI routing. Worked pretty well.

The new MI Veils and Blinds look pretty good for VCA duties.

That SSF Ultra Random Analog is badass, didn't know it existed. It's going into my Modulargrid dream rack.

Since you brought it up.

I'll go ahead and tell you because I'm bored.
Mallet: custom Harlmess patch
Brass: Soundfount
808 bass/boom: Sytrus with very precise evelope settings
(I can provide the patches if you want, but they probably won't sound the same due to external effects and shit).

Pretty much everything else is percussion.

Feel free to ask questions.

who /nocomputer/ here? what's your setup?

Is Eurorack really this addictive? I've been wanting to dedicate a couple of rows (1 or 2) of my rack stand to euro rack. I really can't see myself wanting to buy a new module every week though.
Might just buy the most powerful laptop I can find and run Reaktor on that.

It's addictive until you find exactly what you're looking for, which can be an endless task. When you can add or replace any aspect of your synth with limitless permutations there's always the desire to change something or add a little more.

Check out some of the post your rack pages on Muffwiggler. You start out small, then 5 years down the road you have this, which is pretty goddamn big, but nothing compared to the shit some people have.

I run my Electribe 2 through a reverb pedal straight to my interface. Ocasionally sequence the Blofeld with it as well.

clyp.it/bwwxkrjl

I just love creating ambient soundscapes.

Hi ƒams, established composer/sound designer here.
Ready to give advice/answer specific questions for a few mins.

what the hell is that picture talking about?

also how did you get into doing sound design work/what kind of sound design work do you do?

Private joke ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Through luck really...I spent years just making and learning about music and sound. Someone heard my music through a friend and asked me to write music for an advert and it's gone from there.

All sorts, from making digital bleeps and bloops to foley or walking on gravel or whatever.

I'm that asshole who owns a Minimoog and a bunch of other expensive shit. I also recently acquired a Mopho x4.

My live setup consists of:
TR-8
Beatstep pro, controlling a
Dotcom modular and Microbrute
EHX crash pad (dooo drums, very important)

Can't wait to add the Mopho x4 to the setup, I still need to recreate some JX-10 patches.

I'll be traveling a lot in next few months and i need to get some sturdy headphones that are not completely shit for producing, any recs?

Examples of your work?

sony mdr-750

Not the nicest sounding but good for mixing, sturdy and not expensive.

Won't be posting'em, not why I'm here.

If you live in the UK (soon to just be 'k') you will've heard some on ur telly.

ok im oot bye x

clyp.it/tmtzyh5r

Started this yesterday, has become a mix of Push Button Objects and Metroid Prime.
Pretty basic stuff for now, just wanted to know if it's balanced correctly.

i made an ableton midi effects rack where one of the macro controls activates/deactivates a series of chord shapes, is there any way to get the macro control to show which device is being currently active (i just named them all for whatever chord shape they are) instead of just a 0-127 value?

hey, anyone know the site that lets you import your soundcloud uploads

i think i used it but can't remember what it's called

any ideas?

OT, 106 and MS20 are my most used. I might go back to computer sequencing though.

Which MS-20? Mini, full size reissue, keyboardless reissue, or vintage?

The mini version

clyp.it/meqktwlw

CC GUYS MY NAME IS BOI 1DA

jk

Ah. I had some questions about the other reissues.

Have you used the pitch to voltage tracker? I really want to try it with a mic to get the Goldfrapp sound

m.youtube.com/watch?v=ITi6uat0BuQ

I cant listen to what youve posted atm. I have used it though. It didnt track very well with a guitar, but feeding in a loop of percussive vocal sounds as an envelope was cool.

Try this link.

youtu.be/ITi6uat0BuQ

I'm not too big on guitar pitch tracking anyways, it's pretty played out.

Goldfrapp just used a mic and apparently that can be tracked better.

Why can't the beap midi object parse channels? is all this stuff catered to M4L instruments or something?

Anyone got good resources for learning all the ins and outs to Serum?

I'm thinking about just subscribing to ADSR for a month to quickly download all their shit.

If you do, i would suck your dick if you would upload them on mega or something.

Anyone have experience with FX/transition dummy clips in ableton?

Oh shit, you know, I used to do that a lot in 8 but haven't in a long fucking time, so totally forgot how. Would be good to relearn.

i've been trying to build them for performing, but they are a pain in the ass to make.

was hoping someone knew of a downloadable pack of some clips and racks

>clyp.it/0jfvsahq

bump

anybody here have experience with programmed computer music, i.e. creating music from code?

I'm learning ChucK and its been a lot of fun, and its taught me a lot about what actually goes into making electronic music (more than fucking around in DAWs have). I was curious if anyone else has done anything similar

/comp/, in a sense, is dedicated to this

I'm just talking effects generation and stuff. Programming your own unit generators seems like a pretty powerful skill.

I'm not interested in the compositional side (not right now, at least. Algogen music is p cool tho), I'm asking if any producers have worked it into their stuff.

I don't use DX clones for FM synthesis anymore, I just build my own for specific tasks. If I want to control a modulator by slapping my dick on a mic, u can make that happen.

u should be I

/prod/
How do I synthesis the sound at the beginning of this song. I know it's going to use a fairly percussive envelope and a bit of delay. But how do I get that throaty chunky sound to it? Do I need to tune the oscillators to a specific interval?

youtu.be/XiBYM6g8Tck

i just dropped omnisphere, nexus, ozone, komplete, spire, sylenth and all my drumkits to go 100% on legal software.
just got ableton live suite yet. damn how do you even compete against other producers without good software? it's like making fire with stones instead of using a lighter... everything takes much longer and i'm especially missing real sounds. all i can do with free software is digital sounding. i need a damn rompler :(
what to do now? waiting until i can buy good stuff or leaking again?
i could focus on making drum loops until i can afford the plugins, but i want to finish something again...
god damn i miss my plugins :(
but desu i feel much better now because i dont have to hide in the shadows.

just do some research on free vsts, you can do pretty good with the right ones.
bedroomproducersblog.com/free-vst-plugins/
check it out

Anybody here use / can recommend some motorized faders for FL Studio?
I've got carpal tunnel and using a mouse to adjust stuff is a literal pain.

hahahahahha

If you can't produce with just a mouse, you're probably just bad at it.

>I've got carpal tunnel and using a mouse to adjust stuff is a literal pain.

????

It's just a joke about the guy in the last thread.

Check out the Behrigner BCF2000
One of the few Behrigner products that don't suck

i doubt there are better free vst's than ableton suite stock plugins/soundpacks. what i want is cutting edge sound and cutting edge workflow. it's a pain and i feel extremely slowed down without these plugins.
and meanwhile thousands of other producers work with cracked plugins and have an advantage.
guess i'll stick to 100% legal anyways, because i really feel like ethics get me out of the dark place.

there are check them out

the motors are loud af tho

Thanks! Seems to be what everyone recommends
Should be fine for a mic-free environment though, eh

So am I, but that doesn't mean I'm going to keep myself outside of the studio.

>tfw when creative block and can't come up with a decent lead synth or melody

Nobody wants to take my post seriously because it's the Macarena.

Either that, or its some truly top level synthesis going on in there.

sounds like fifths

imagine trying to mix on monitors while there is a bunch of metal gears clanking in front of you with every volume change.

it's probably just a preset on some 90s rompler
he's asking about the sound design, not what's happening musically

tbhfam i wasn't taking you seriously

just guessing here, but it might just be 2 oscolators tuned apart, and then a quick chord is played on the keys.

I already got a rough approximation by using a snappy EG and oscillators tuned a 5th apart. Still doesn't sound "hollow" enough.

how do I make my drums sound organic? like evry hit sounding a little different?

Put chorus followed by a little reverb on them.
Additionally, vary the velocity of the drum hits.

that's smart, thank you

dave pensado covers a bunch of different tips for that in this video. he's using protools, but you can do this stuff in any daw .

youtube.com/watch?v=g4gPKeM7bqQ&feature=youtu.be&list=PLFC57D274A1E94943

Any reason to use 48khz instead of 44.1khz sample rate?

to get those sweet, sweet extra 3.9khz

nah but for real, i dont really think so

come up with a bad one and keep going until you get it right

The whole reason 48khz sample rate exists is film synchronization. For some reason 44.1khz doesn't sync well with video software so it usually isn't even an option for that kind of stuff.

There is no actual audible difference between 44.1khz and 48khz like there is with 44.1khz and 96khz. Anyone that says otherwise has no clue why 48khz exists.

If you're using MIDI, reaper has a humanize function. I think it's command H on a mac.

I use pro tools but I like exporting MIDI into reaper just to humanize it. You can randomize the timing and velocity to whatever percentage you want.

It's standard practice to record above the quality that you plan to release it as. So if you're releasing as 16bit 44.1k, you record at 24bit 48k. If your music ever made it into a movie or something you'd want it to be 48k for the DVD.

i thought protools also had a humanizing/randomizing feature?

post your gear and a WIP.
I want to know if privilege translates well into music

Need Original High Quality Instrumentals?
Want The Next Big Hit Record?
More Views, More Downloads, More Radio Spins, Get More Fans
Albums, Singles, Projects, LP's, Mixtapes
Original Costume High Quality Instrumentals
New Instrumentals Posted Daily
youtube.com/channel/UCLPDZo4177jVTM9jBHcEKGA
[(flvto.biz) use this to get beats from YouTube and convert to MP3.]
If you are interested in working together please let me know. Thank you.
[email protected] | Facebook: Sean Ennis
Twitter: Ennis_Means_Me | IG: ennisproductions

this is great

Did you download all the extras that come with ableton? There's a lot of sampled instruments in there.

Its like i really just posted a track to sound clouds

So it does; I should have known that. I knew you could randomize the timing but I didn't notice the velocity menu

>obligatory jelly poorfag post

are you a fucking chicken or something?
let some ears with actual real life experience judge if you have been wasting your dad's money