youtube.com/watch?v=DGbv8JR8x0s&ab_channel=TheAmbitiousOutsider
youtube.com/watch?v=JEWzXaGjRXM
youtube.com/watch?v=e32cF6vIMuc&ab_channel=just,Morrissey&TheSmiths
youtube.com/watch?v=SIr3YWI7WJw
youtube.com/watch?v=HZDI4PIq8_s&ab_channel=Benedetta84
youtube.com/watch?v=idM2F62BbaA&ab_channel=smithsfan1990
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Will's cool, the others less so

I've listened to three albums by them and I literally could not tell a single thing about any of them.

Excellent
I liked them way more when I was a teenager and depressed virgin though

They suck.

Best band of the 80's

OBJECTIVE ALBUM RANKING
hatful of hollow=queen is dead>strangeways=meat is murder>s/t

Love them prefer Morrissey Solo though, but i did prefer The Smiths when i was a teenager though.

Fair

>Compilation
>Album

we need a morrissy like figure in pop now more than ever

>Implying there will ever be a Morrissey like figure in music again.

Best pop band ever

Arty pretentious crap

The Cure is better.

Joy Division beats them both

i mean every song is the same

its like they r trying to write the same song over and over again

but that song is awesome

and i love that song

Agree that's why i prefer Morrissey's solo stuff more it's not all the same.

I love both but i have to agree with you.

This is how I feel about punk

>tfw we've been having a lot of smiths threads lately

I like their songwriting. I could get over the 80s production. But I absolutely can't stand Morrissey's voice. I've tried over and over, but I just can't do it.

Morrissey's vocal performance were at their worst during The Smiths they certainly got better in his solo career

youtube.com/watch?v=DGbv8JR8x0s&ab_channel=TheAmbitiousOutsider

probably the reason i chose to be gay

their music is great too

There is a Light That Never Goes Out always gives me feels at the worst times
I can live without these feels
But they keep coming

kek

My personal favorite band

Morrissey's autobiography is fucking hilarious

this x10

i posted what u replied to and i agree

Not better than The Greys

youtube.com/watch?v=JEWzXaGjRXM

How so

objectively wrong

S/T > Strangeway = Meat > TQID

The fact that he had it published in Penguin's Classics and the cover is just his smug face

This is the opening lines in the book

"Naturally my birth almost kills my mother, for my head is too big, but soon it is I, and not my mother, on the critical list at Salford's Pendlebury Hospital ... Once I am discharged from hospital, my sister Jackie, older by two years, is interrupted four times as she attempts to kill me, whether this be rivalry or visionary no one knows."

>rockism

More funny lines

"The Smiths fallout continues in Denver, where someone has held an entire radio station at gunpoint until DJs make the promise to play Smiths music. Unwittingly, this gunman is providing the very first active radio promotion on behalf of the Smiths, and evidently a loaded gun is what it takes to get a Smiths song on the airwaves."

Lol

>s/t last
>objectively wrong on that part
>the rest is acceptable
personally, s/t is my second favourite album

>Implying that's a bad thing

You forgot the best one

"The school looms tall and merciless in central Hulme, as the last of the old order, a giant black shadow of ancient morality since 1842, invoking deliberate apprehension into every wide eyed small face that cautiously holds back the tears as he or she is left at its steps - into long echoing halls of whitewashed walls, of carbolic and plimsoll and crayon blazing through the senses, demanding that all cheerful thought must now die away."

More

"All human activity is fruitless when pitted against the girls and boys singing on pop television, for they have found the answer as the rest of us search for the question. I will sing, too. If not, I will have to die."

I love how melodramatic he is.

"When my old friend Simon Topping [the frontman of Manchester band A Certain Ratio] appeared on the cover of the NME, I died a thousand deaths of sorrow and lay down in the woods to die."

The first three quarters of the book are fantastic. It completely falls on its ass in the last.

On being disliked:
"Whenever I'd overhear how people found me to be 'a bit much' (which is the gentle way of saying the word 'unbearable'), I understood why. To myself I would say: Well, yes of course I'm a bit much — if I weren't, I would not be lit up by so many lights."

Need to listen to more than 1 band

horrible and needless band

The only songs I've heard from them are There is a Light That Never Goes Out and How Soon Is Now. Is there any use in checking out their albums or have I already experienced peak Smiths?

I never understood when people called bands needless, unnecessary, etc. Like what determines a band as needed/necessary?

they don't contribute anything

If you like those 2 songs, listen to Hatful of Hollow

same

tumblrina band

Great band. Never goes stale

Strangeways=Queenisdead > meat > s/t

>the cover is just his smug face
morrissey rivals stephen malkmus for the title of "smuggest man in indie rock".

How Soon Is Now is the only song I like by them

Hey guys big time The Smiths posting trip here.

Weebteam decided that the official Sup Forums Smiths pwer ranking is TQID > Strangeways > S/T > MIM

HOWEVER

It should be noted that while weebteam recognizes that TQID is the superior album, weebteam has also declared Strangeways their favorite album. Weebteam also decided after much debate that Hatful of Hallows doesn't deserve placement in the rankings. If it did it would fall between TQID and Strageways.

Thanks for all the replies though. This has been a nice little Smiths thread, and we enjoy seeing the Moz love being spread around. Please continue on with your comfy discussion with your newly accepted official Smiths power ranking in mind.

oh shit is the weebteam revival finally happening??

Yes, weebteam is making a comeback for sure. Starting with the rym threads, we will be reacquainting anons to our influence across the board. Glad you're on the right side of the revival, user.

Hell no
I mean, how does a song like A Rush And A Push And The Land is Ours to There Is A Light That Never Goes Out, or Meat Is Murder to Nowhere Fast?

Absolutely adored them when I was a teenager, I still like them but don't listen to them frequently.

Beyond true.
Either way he is a lying pretentious prick.

THEY SUCK

/THREAD

morrissey ruined it, would have been great as an instrumental band. also s/t is best

I take it your favorite song is The Draize Train?

Personally, I think The Smiths were an English rock band formed in Manchester in 1982. The band consisted of vocalist Morrissey, guitarist Johnny Marr, bassist Andy Rourke and drummer Mike Joyce. Critics have called them the most important alternative rock band to emerge from the British independent music scene of the 1980s.[1] Q magazine's Simon Goddard argued in 2007 that The Smiths were "the one truly vital voice of the '80s", "the most influential British guitar group of the decade" and the "first indie outsiders to achieve mainstream success on their own terms".[2] The NME named the Smiths the "most influential artist ever" in a 2002 poll.[3]

But that's just my opinion.

>A pretentious closet queer hellbent on insulting better acts
Nah, we're good.

They contributed to making me losey virginity with a 8/10 smiths fangirl now fuck the shit off

Rockists ought to love compilation albums though, they don't have any good full-length albums.

Yeah, the Smiths are for pussies who don't know almost anything about music

ON THE DAY THAT YOUR MENTALITYYY

Morrissey solo is better in my opinion not as repetitive and angsty teenager as most of The Smiths stuff.

I think every Morrissey/Smith fan should watch this documentary.

youtube.com/watch?v=e32cF6vIMuc&ab_channel=just,Morrissey&TheSmiths

While I agree, I would also add that The Smiths have been widely influential. Ian Youngs of BBC News has described them as "the band that inspired deeper devotion than any British group since The Beatles".[119] Marr's guitar playing "was a huge building block for more Manchester legends that followed The Smiths", including The Stone Roses, whose guitarist John Squire has said Marr was an influence.[120] Oasis guitarist Noel Gallagher also cites The Smiths as an influence, especially Marr. Gallagher has said that "When The Jam split, The Smiths started, and I totally went for them."[121] Singer Davey Havok of the band AFI cites The Smiths as an influence.[122]

agreed
Morrissey's voice is awful

you are just too stupid to understand what i am saying

We all know it's

Queen Is Dead > The Smiths > Strangeways Here We Come > Meat Is Murder

Holy fuck this is a smelly opinion. Get rid of that shit taste quick user!

I've seen it's pretty much the only Morrissey/Smith documentary worth watching.

Probably my favorite band of all time.

Morrissey is very charming.

youtube.com/watch?v=SIr3YWI7WJw

he's somehow charming and awkward at the same time

They've become very trendy now. My dad grew up in the 80's and liked The Smiths then so he is objectively better than all of you.

Funny story, my great grandparents heard my dad listening to The Smiths when he was a teenager and called my grandfather (dad's dad) because they were concerned about him because of how depressing the lyrics are.

You could say he's a charming man.

I think very few young men can say they haven't felt like a Smiths lyric at one point, even if they've never listened to them.

>mfw this charming man was written about future creepy italian kiddiefiddler morrissey

Yeah charming and awkward is Morrissey's default personality.

youtube.com/watch?v=HZDI4PIq8_s&ab_channel=Benedetta84

jajajaaja

nice, i want to read it

>That Never Goes Out
how soon is now has a different aproach compared with the rest of the smiths songs

Well i've a fan of The Smiths since the 90's, i've even grown to prefer Morrissey's solo stuff.Also i nearly broke my arm catching one of his shirts.

>i've even grown to prefer Morrissey's solo stuff.
the mark of a true patrician

If you read try to find the U.K or special edition version because the standard U.S edition edits out Morrissey's gay relationship.

His solo music videos are also amazing.

>who is Will Toledo

Still the best Smiths song N/A

youtube.com/watch?v=idM2F62BbaA&ab_channel=smithsfan1990

listened to meat is murder yesterday. it was awesome!

did you go vegetarian

you could sell that on ebay for a lot of money im sure. i have a signed johnny marr lp, i think if he dies it will be worth a lot more. though ill probably keep it

Meat is Murder is amazing probably my second favorite Smith album.

Probably but i've had it for 9 years so i'll definitely never sell it.