Who were the edgelords prior to the goth aesthetic becoming a thing? Did edgelords just not exist prior to the 1980s?

Who were the edgelords prior to the goth aesthetic becoming a thing? Did edgelords just not exist prior to the 1980s?

What did edgy teenagers in the 1940s dress like and what music did they listen to?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beatnik
youtube.com/watch?v=esfKfTBGadg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

skinheads

edgy teens didnt exist until the hippy shit in the 60s

beatniks

Here you go:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beatnik

Have fun.

Punks

my dad would get shit for wearing black sabbath/blue oyster cult tshirts and listening to the albums in the early 70s

this though

They're looking too old for being teens, IMO.

Watch this

youtube.com/watch?v=esfKfTBGadg

this isnt goth, its post-manson buttrock core

Pic related looks like fun, to be honest.

hipsters, greasers, beatniks, bikers the list goes on..

In the 1950's, being and edgelord required living an extreme lifestyle, sacrificing certain comforts, and becoming a shitty poet/ artist. In the 60s we had the "freak" subculture, with moderately successful Los Angelites dressing up like retards for the sake of art, followed by the hippies who did it more out of laziness than edginess.

Punk and Industrial came around in the late 70s, and while it was incredibly edgy the groups both required some integrity. Come the 80s and then we can see the poser "goffic" kid come to fruition.

B-but bikers at least are thugs who fuck shit up for real. They aren't exactly edgelords.

is there anything more edgy than fucking shit up for real?

>who is Rimbaud

RAPING OLD FRUIT THROUGH YOUR EYES IS SO MUCH FUN!

o rly

so should we should classify urban gang members and all fans of gangsta rap and trap edgelords?

if so, I have no objection

Gangbangers of any sort make trouble because they simply enjoy it or don't know better. They certainly aren't pseudo-intellectual 'misanthropes'.

Hey man, 80s Goths were alright.
But Hot Topic and mallgoths came in the 90s and everything went to shit.

Is any Beat literature worth reading? I've been put off because Ginsberg was an open pedophile and pedophile rights activist.

You've been there?

yes we should

you're literally arguing against yourself here
if anything they're even edgier since they let their antisocial and narcissistic tendencies run wild

No, it's all garbage. All literature is garbage.

naked lunch is kewl

Burroughs is legitimately fucking brilliant. Read his nova trilogy to see why.

Kerouac didn't do a lot for me personally, but I know plenty of intelligent and admirable people who swear by him so I'll give him benefit of the doubt

Ginsberg is actually a great poet

>using the term "edgelords"

nu-male detected

Bullshit. We're talking about "edgelords" here. OP brought up goths who definitely aren't known for their violent behaviour. An edgelord won't do shit. He just has an attitude that he considers "offensive" just for the sake of pissing off everybody else. After all, such a person isn't dangerous at all, just annoying at worst.

They pretty much are, and at least the music is. Edgelords are pretty common at the end of the day, most of them just don't look like it.

I'm sure 80's goths were fine, but they were the first group to have posers like they did, and the first to be chique to highschoolers.

I tried reading Kerouac and it was boring as hell. I'm guessing that the Beat aesthetic has aged pretty poorly since it's been borrowed from so relentlessly ever since.

we are essentially arguing semantics here, but I think you got it wrong. one of the first words people use to characterize harris and klebold here is "edgy", and they actually engaged in violent behavior

Ah, I get it: You're trolling.

i'm literally not

This

t. dudes who think their edgy idols aren't actual edgelords

No, I'm not. Simply because you find them cool doesn't make them any less edgy. Tbh pop culture pretty much strives on being edgy and provocative so it's not really a bad thing. People always want "dangerous" sounding music. What's considered dangerous and provocative in music just changes every 10 years.

this, most people are actual edgelords. the thing is there's a popular and a not so popular variant of edginess and you only get called out on your edgy behavior if you belong to the latter.

>trap
>actually violent