Tfw Radiohead is literally the only band keeping the rock genre relevant

>Tfw Radiohead is literally the only band keeping the rock genre relevant

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8hc6egaAUjI
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popular_music
twitter.com/AnonBabble

wait a minute, that the wrong eye... has he been faking it this entire time?

you mean swans right

>radiohead
>not pop

Arctic Monkeys

Not even baiting, their first album was legitimately superb

K Y S

>current radiohead
>rock

>rock music
>relevant

radiohead is not really rock and not really relevant

I agree but consensus on here is that they are bad...mostly cause they are really only known for AM in countries outside of England

isn't rock just electric guitar + bass + drums?

dont a good percentage of modern bands still use that

>it doesn't sound like acdc
>not rock

>debuts #3 in billboard
>not relevant

are you a fucking idiot?

What? That's not true at all. They got popular internationally with Favourite Worse Nightmare. I live in Croatia and I'd first heard of them when the singles of that album got played every now and then on MTV Adria (the regional variation of MTV). AM propelled them into weird levels of superstardom, yeah, but their old stuff still gets played here.

If we're talking about bands that are keeping a genre relevant, saying "their first album that came out a decade ago is great" doesn't really hold much currency?
also lmao milburn were better lol

Dude try listening to The Answer.

Jeff Rosenstock

desu the people who trash arctic monkeys after listening to only am are worse than the plebs who think am is the greatest thing ever

I hate that everyone shits on AM and I'm not even a big fan. I thought it was an enjoyable rock record.

nobody outside of the internet circlejerk knows who swans is. i never heard of them before browing Sup Forums.

>Radiohead
>keeping rock relevant
>by ripping off old electronic music
lmao

I saw a guy in his early 20s wearing a swans shirt. I was genuinely surprised.

wew lad take a walk outside once

Actually he can't move his left eye properly, so when he shuts his right eye, the left eye stays open, giving that illusion. It's more apparent in interviews.

He's had surgery to try and fix it but it botched it more

I thought his eye was completely sealed shut before surgery, so it kind of worked.

is it?

and they're barely even playing rock anymore.

Swans was literally the only Sup Forumscore band I listened to before coming to Sup Forums

nah man, swans is pretty well known

but they're definitely not keeping the rock scene alive lol everyone outside of the internet who's heard of swans thinks they're fucking weird

oh wow new guy alert

new guy to life, i mean

>rock ''''''music'''''

This -MSP couldn't even chart at #1.

On the other hand MUSE - DRONES debuted at #1 in 15 countries including the UK and the US and won the 2016 Grammy for "Best Rock Album"

>Tfw MUSE is literally the only band keeping the Rock Genre relevant.

You can't fool me Musefag

Radiohead-lite

And you can't dispute the facts that I posted. Radiohead-lite's last effort surpassed Radiohead's last effort.

Not critically

Whether you like it or not The 1975 has been a booster shot for rock. The whole era of buttrock resulted in a generation totally unmoved by rock. The old stalwarts like Radiohead and Tallicka kept rock alive but there was nothing new for a long time. The 1975 is as big-pop a rock band has been in decades.

The only relevant form of rock now is metal

and meddle

This. Every genre needs it's shitty pop artists to stay alive and relevant.

The 1975 aren't even as popular as Tame Impala, let alone "keeping rock relevant"

Critics aren't relevant. Charlie Puth's debut album is one of the lowest rated albums in Metacritic history, and it still sold 500K in a time when most people don't even buy albums.

Imagine Dragons, Fall Out Boy, and Maroon 5 are the most rock bands in recent memory. They're the only ones who consistently had hits on Billboard in the 2010s. THEY'RE the ones keeping rock relevant.

But they all suck so much dick

if AMSP was released by a different artist, rock would never come up in the discussion. They were a rock band at one time, but they've been making art pop for quite a while

Are you saying In Rainbows, TKOL or even AMSP is art pop? And are you actually using the term art pop unironically?

>>Tfw Radiohead is literally the only band keeping the rock genre relevant

All of those band went to a more radio, non-rock sound though. No guitars, no real instrumentation, no nothing. Maybe back in the day they played real instruments, but I haven't heard a song by any of these guys that isn't just over produced garbage in about ten years for the former two. Imagine Dragons is barely even rock.

I think that some of the more alternative bands that sneak onto pop radio like Alabama Shakes and The Black Keys have kind of kept rock relevant.

Tame Impala is the only band keeping rock relevant, and they're not even rock anymore.

>one album that was pop
kys

Agreed
Hopefully Kevin doesn't use the synthesizer on the LP4 too much though

Swans is technically pop music too.

Yeah I mean if we're talking relevant in the mainstream then Swans isn't even in the discussion and Radiohead isn't at the forefront. Plenty of rock-ish groups charting these past couple of years, one poster named a few like Imagine Dragons and FallOut Boy. Linkin Park sold a bunch in 2014 and a new album coming this year.

I hope you're joking. They are incredibly inaccessible. I listen to a lot of music and I just can't stand them at all.

Literally every other band has gone the way of twee indie pop that they can sell to tumblr girls flicking the bean while watching Teen Wolf reruns on MTV. Tame Impala is following the money, my friend.

I thought I was the only one

I just don't get the appeal of repeating the same note for 4 minutes straight at a time

I'd much rather have a good riff play for 10 minutes than 10 mediocre riffs play for 1 minute each.

Lmao Swans is about the furthest thing from "Pop"

I don't get it either. And constantly repeating the same word over and over and over.

Different strokes I guess

I've listened to The Seer and To Be Kind. Is their pre-trilogy work more of the same?

>QOTSA
>inb4 theyre not rock theyre stoner rock/metal

Stoner rock and metal are both rock though

And they are stoner rock

oh jesus, this is actually not a bad point

i really don't want this to make sense, but it kinda does

Zs

Get rekt

>Not relevant

>don't want it to
Who gives a shit

>The 1975 aren't even as popular as Tame Impala
the '75 have grossly outsold impala in record sales, and are most definitely more profitable. and shirly are playing to much larger crowds.

in what measure is tame impala more popular? did you forget to append the clause "...amongst patricians"?

forgot pic

I've been listening to Swans nonstop and I accidentally brought it up in conversation with a normie girl over the phone

Who cares?

You're pulling shit out of your ass Currents and whatever the name of the 1975's new album is had comparable first week sales

And both bands sell out whatever venue they go to

>like clockwork
>#1 on billboard
>not relevant
tripfags are truly the worst

Sales don't mean shit anyway with piracy and streaming.

>what is AWOLNATION

theyre electronic shit user

They don't bring it up in an argument about which band is more popular

QOTSA aren't exactly mainstream. They're definitely the best rock band on the planet tho.

not mainstream? the fuck are you talking about? no one knows was all over mtv and every rock radio station on earth and since then they've been mainstays. i saw them open for the chili peppers on that tour and they blew them out of the fucking water. and that was golden era frusciante too.

>I listened to one of their popular songs a few years ago and now know that they are undeniably shit
youtube.com/watch?v=8hc6egaAUjI
you have shit taste friendo

the user you're responding to isn't me who you were responding to at first.

anyway, according to wikipædia's reporting of album sales all of tame impala's albums combined don't equal the sales of the 1975's first album, even though it came out 3 years late than tame's.

but whatever man, i'm not saying TI aren't popular, i'm just saying they don't attract seas of screaming tweens and 1D fans

Did you, uh, forget about Muse?

It does because who knows how many people are pirating and streaming.

It's popular music.

I did not forget Radiohead-lite

pop =/= popular music you mong

Swans is not that popular

Kek

They're not popular by any stretch of the imagination.

They're popular music, not pop music

Get your shit straight retards

Are you fucking stupid? They're still not "popular". In the main scheme of things less than a million people in the entire world probably listen to swans.

Swans =\= popular

Hello idiots, time for a music lesson

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popular_music

LMAO dude Swans' TGM debuted at 151 on billboard that means it sold like 3-4 thousand albums and barely streamed. If that's "popular" to you then I'm done here

time for a history lesson

>nobody outside of the internet circlejerk knows who swans is
One of the most influential experimental rock/alternative bands?

Please lull yourself.

>i didn't read the article

>"Although popular music sometimes is known as "pop music", the two terms are not interchangeable.[7] Popular music is a generic term for a wide variety of genres of music that appeal to the tastes of a large segment of the population,[8] whereas pop music usually refers to a specific musical genre within popular music.[9]"

Man, I'm a Swans fan and you're embarassing as shit.

I mean one of the most experimental sure, but I don't know any bands that sound like them enough to say they're influencing bands and artists.

See

>swans
They don't at all appeal to a "wide variety" of people. They're not popular like you think they are.

That's what makes a band popular though

Appealing to either a wide variety of people or a very large number of people and Swans does neither

>h-haha i only r-read the s-small excerpt of a full article and you're wrong h-haha

Guess again retard

>The term popular music belongs to a number of musical genres "having wide appeal"[1][2][3] and typically distributed to large audiences through the music industry. These forms and styles can be enjoyed and performed by people with little or no musical training.[1] It stands in contrast to both art music[4][5][6] and traditional or "folk" music.

That describes Swans down to the last apostrophe.

That's what I was saying..? They're not popular no matter which at you try and spin it.