/jazz/

jazz generally

Who was the best jazz artist of the 20th century and why was it Monk?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FxailNkhpXs
youtube.com/watch?v=vmDDOFXSgAs
www114.zippyshare.com/v/mz7jDtz0/file.html
youtube.com/watch?v=tonexlw6tOo
youtube.com/watch?v=vqSLoxwkCYE
youtube.com/watch?v=fFOnt99Avp4
youtube.com/watch?v=oxzeDpBvxv4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

it was mingus though

youtube.com/watch?v=FxailNkhpXs

monk>mingus

I know Brubeck played into the 2000s but he still counts right?

obligatory youtube.com/watch?v=vmDDOFXSgAs

What albums have kickass percussion, besides stuff from art blakey/max roach

Elvin Jones is excellent, he ran the John Coltrane Quartet

Forgot to add albums. Giant Steps, Blue Train and his later work with Love Supreme all have great drum work

>jazz

more like jizz

Thanks for bumping the thread.

lmao
favorite miles davis album? I don't listen to him much, don't know where to start aside from the obvious pic related

Reminder to come check out the /BLINDFOLD TEST/ threads every Friday and Saturday.

www114.zippyshare.com/v/mz7jDtz0/file.html

This week's theme is Wayne Shorter tunes.

stop spamming my threads you gorilla

no

do any of you fags play jazz?

Taken an interest into the music and interested in doing some jazz bass. Was wondering if any of you anons have experience with it.

Never fully got monk

Played a bit of jazz drumming with other beginners it was cool

yes
andrew's judgment!
>'Round About Midnight
then jump to his second great quartet
>Miles Smiles
>E.S.P.
>Nefertiti
If you like Gil Evans
>Sketches to spain
>Porgy and Bess
Still haven't listened to his funk era tho'
>Wayne Shorter
He seems so tired nowadays, I hope he do not die soon. :(

Anyone seen this movie? It's sounds pretty bazaar, like instead of a traditional biopic they make some crazy gangster movie inspired by Miles life.

OP here I play jazz piano so I have (very) limited experience doing basslines. Do you already play bass? the best thing you can do for yourself is to listen to a lot of music and try to get an idea of what makes their playing special and knowing what that style sounds like. ofc, know your scales and modes. be able to distinguish your band-mates playing in dorian vs minor, or lydian vs major etc and modify the actual notes you play to make it sound good.

Here's some music to listen to --
>We Get Requests (album). The rest of Peterson's work in his trio and quartet is phenomenal as well
>Tales (album). Marcus Miller plays bass here, definitely worth listening to
>Obligatory Victor Wooten
>Paul Chambers. Featured in Giant Steps with Coltrane and Workin' with Miles Davis

Ya I'm a horn player who goes to jam sessions regularly. What would you like to know?

Does he do any other work with Gil Evans? Also, what all albums does he do with Hancock? I do really love listening to him. What's your personal favorite pianist he works with?

He collabs with Gil Evans on 'Miles Ahead' aswell.
As for the pianist, that's an easy question for me, it's Herbie Hancock. He's one of my favorite pianists of all time, his phrasing is so clever and inventive, and his solo compositions are magnificent.
There are several albums he does with Hancock, some you might wanna check it out are: E.S.P. and My Funny Valentine

Thanks for the info, appreciate it. I do lots of organ work at my church, it's rather large (>500 people per service) and they have a B3 that's just absolutely magnificent. Unfortunately, I'm not particularly skilled on it. I sound fine as far as the context is concerned, just playing it the way I'm supposed to, and I am improving on my slides all the time. My technical skill on the organ is really lacking though. Who would be someone good to listen to gather inspiration from? At home I have a Stage 2, can I effectively practice organ on it, or do I need to invest in an actual organ-keyboard? I know someone with an old VK7 in working condition, I could get it from him for not too much money, just have nowhere to put it

Easy

yeah, dont play bass

>best jazz artist of the 20th century

Opinions, of course.

1. John Coltrane
2. Duke Ellington
3. Charlie Parker
4. Eric Dolphy
5. Art Tatum
6. Louis Armstrong
7. Django Reinhardt
8. Chet Baker
9. Bix Beiderbecke

Coltrane was 10/10, as was the Duke. Where's Brubeck tho?

Can't give you opinions on the Stage 2 neither VK7 cuz I'm no organ player. Maybe someone more familiar with this matter can help you out. Glad you've been playing it at your church, don't stop practicing and try to evolve as a musician. If you wanna gain inspiration from some organ players I like Larry Young, Jimmy Smith and Baby Face Willette. Also, the guitar player Grant Green likes to have some organ on his works. Check these links:
youtube.com/watch?v=tonexlw6tOo
youtube.com/watch?v=vqSLoxwkCYE
youtube.com/watch?v=fFOnt99Avp4

Bud was Best

Not yet but I expect I will

also try pic related

I second this rec so much. Dope book, fucking DOPE!

looking forward to this

What are some good free jazz albums? I've mainly just heard The Shape of Jazz to Come and then various things tagged as "free jazz" on Bandcamp. I'm open to all suggestions, new and old.

See all of the artists mentioned in the thread thus far, they're the pillars. What are you looking for? describe as best you can and I can help you.

Thanks, appreciate the advice.

Bass is an essential instrument which requires just as much technical skill, experience, and knowledge to play well as any other instrument. Where great jazz trios and quartets leave out electric guitars and singers, they all have great bassists who add personality to the music. BTFO

Spiritual Unity

I mean "free jazz" not jazz that costs nothing, in case that wasn't clear. I'm not too picky really, just wonder whats all out there. The stuff on Bandcamp I come across is usually pretty abstract and dissonant, which is cool but I haven't found any that I like enough to give more than a cursory listening to. The Shape of Jazz to Come is good, but I'd also like to hear something a little less organized too. Or others like that album. Just looking for a good sampling of stuff to check out.

Thanks, I'll go look that up.

Ah, my mistake. Regardless, Coltrane was a legendary musician and challenged musical norms in a free jazz-esque style in his later album Love Supreme. Worth a listen but might not be quite what you're looking for. His album Ascension, however is free jazz. I have a feeling you would really enjoy it. While you're on Coltrane, his album Giant Steps is worth a listen.
You could also consider Sun Ra free jazz, another fantastic artist, he works with a more bop style in much of his work.

Much appreciated!

Funny how many people in here claim to be able to play jazz but the last time I asked people to post recordings of them playing jazz only a couple people did.

One of my personal favourites

Yeah

>pretending to be OP and not saying anything of value
why?
Listen to and learn from this
youtube.com/watch?v=oxzeDpBvxv4
GOAT bass solo imo. This is how skilled bassists play - aspire to this or whatever you idealize and practice in a way that brings you closer to your goals. And, ofc, listen to lots of musicians who are better than you and practice obsessively.

why is it never a good theme?

sorry

Yeah play jazz

Well what would you consider a good theme? Why don't you put it together for us?

Depends.
Do you mean the most serious chops? John Coltrane
Do you want the most genius level? Bird
Do you want the most influential? Miles Davis

Over all, the best of the 20th century would have to be the master himself, Duke Ellington.
Possibly the best composer/arranger in jazz for many, many years. Lead the best big band up till his death. Made jazz high art.

The Far East Suite
His Mother Called Him Bill
Jazz at Newport
The Nutcracker Suite
Duke Ellington and John Coltrane
Such Sweet Thunder
Black Brown and Beige
Anatomy of a Murder

The man was a god.

You have to ride the line between "Who influenced who" and "Who did the most".

Based on that, the three most immediate choices would be Duke, Bird, and Miles.
Bird basically invented the modern jazz language.
Miles was either at the forefront, or the inventor of every single movement in jazz from the 40s till the 80s, with the exception of free jazz.

But Duke was the first to truly make jazz and art.

Great response. My personal favorite to play and listen to has to be Coltrane. His changes are mind-bending, and when I listen to much of his less conventional music, it seems like there's this madness and complete disorganization, but he knows exactly where he is and where he wants to be. Just incredible. He had some serious knowledge and skill.

What do you think is in store for jazz in the 21st century? Will it die/fade away, will it sit at its current popularity, or will it come back in its relevancy? I'd like to believe it's making a return but I just don't know

not that poster but...

>Will it die/fade away,
not much more than it already has

>will it sit at its current popularity,
probably other than a few artists who get some crossover success then fade away

>or will it come back in its relevancy?
I highly doubt it

>I'd like to believe it's making a return but I just don't know
It's become art music and a niche genre mostly for other jazz musicians to enjoy. Musically this allows for some of the best music to be made, since now the music basically relies on patronage and gives more freedom to the artists to pursue their own direction without having to account for what will be commercially successful or fit into what's popular. The flipside is that it becomes more and more difficult to exist and make viable income as a jazz musician.

So to summarize, jazz is in a great place right now musically, but none of it will ever get very popular or culturally "relevant" ever again.

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.

>[YouTube] Dave Brubeck - Take Five
/thread

wew it's been a long time since I was on Sup Forums

He's not the best jazz musician but he was the most important in the creation of modern post-bebop jazz...

the best would come from this list though: Armstrong, Parker, Miles, Monk, Coltrane

you missed Charlie

Who do you guys think hosted he best bands?

Goodman's sextet was great, but my personal fav was Shaw, tho the guy was an absolute prick.

Also Davis would be nowhere without Coltrane

...coltrane woudnt be anywhere without miles...what

>Do you want the most influential? Miles Davis

That's a load of bullshit. The 2 people you named before him are both way more important. Miles never achieved anything more than a Chet Baker impression.

>most influential
>not Armstrong

I like all of those musicians besides Tatum, but here's my list.

1. Evan Parker
2. George Lewis
3. Derek Bailey
4. Paul Bley
5. Cecil Taylor
6. Art Ensemble of Chicago
7. Anthony Braxton
8. Alexander von Schlippenbach
9. Peter Brötzmann

Really, those are your picks for best of the entire century? Not anything against them, but they are all so modern, except George Lewis. And you don't like Art Tatum either, wtf.

>Davis would be nowhere without Coltrane

What? Davis was famous long before Coltrane came along. Coltrane only became famous once he started playing with Miles. Miles best albums don't even have Coltrane on them.

y'all should check out pic related, my AOTYSF, jazz wise

quite the hot opinion you have there lad

interested as to why you don't like Tatum. I mean its clear you like free jazz over more conventional subgenres, and there's nothing wrong with that, but I would think if you appreciate someone like bix beiderbecke or armstrong you would be capable of liking art tatum.
+1 for von Schilppenbach though, i really

I think it's clear he means the other george lewis

>Miles never achieved anything more than a Chet Baker impression.

Please link me to Chet Baker playing Bitches Brew type shit.

another good release from this year

and while we're on e.s.t
i've especially been enjoying ACT's catalog recently

does anybody have Robert Stillman's Horses and is willing to share it? I can't find a copy anywhere

pls help I'm desperate

rec some early 50s jazz albums?

what kind of jazz exactly are you looking for?