Why did David Bowie start doing mainstream pop garbage in the 80's?

Why did David Bowie start doing mainstream pop garbage in the 80's?

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s0pnAVSJZgx4
youtube.com/watch?v=3ZwWnXuB_eg
youtube.com/watch?v=KkGLwQ76E5o
youtu.be/xZ_Wbjz8JTc
frokenkeke.bandcamp.com/album/howe-9
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Lets Dance
>Garbage

even if you like it you have to admit it's the most mainstream he has ever done.

>doesn't know bowie was making mainstream pop from the very beginning

stay naive pleb

Because he'd already tried most other stuff.

Why not? And also
>garbage

Bowie told Nile Rodgers if you make me songs half-good as these (PowerHouse) we'll be platinum. PowerHouse is quite shitty desu

Bowie was always trash, his poppy 80's stuff was just even worse

But user, that's his best album.

He wanted money, also probably to fuck with his ex-manager who fucked him over and got like 50% of his earnings for ten years. Make artsy experimental stuff that makes little and then bust out extreme cashgrab as soon as the contract expires.

I don't care if you got dubs David Bowie started doing mainstream pop garbage in 1975 starting with Young Americans. remember when FAME would be played everywhere then I'd here Heroes everywhere in 1977 and I Am a D.J. in 1979. Yeah I'm one of those plebs who think his last good studio album was Diamond Dogs. So what? Deal with it!

What about Space Oddity which got mainstream airplay in both 1969 AND 1973 faggot?

>

So what all of his music is incredibly mainstream

Ok kid

>le mainstream popular music is automatically bad meme

because money

Pic related is better than Let's Dance, fight me.

Worst taste in this thread.

>mainstream artist making a mainstream album
It's unheard of.

not really, Tonight and Never Let Me Down was even more mainstream and they were completely awful

Ricochet is a great song

He was sick of being artsy fartsy
He also assumed that his fans were sick of his shit aswell

>Generic dadrock
>artsy fartsy

>mfw I actually agree

Nice fucking meme

He said it himself anyway

Agree so much with this thread. Fucking can't stand bowie when it pops up on my shuffle, and too lazy to remove it.

Space oddity and starman are ok though

the only good song on that album is Loving The Alien

Part of David Bowie was constantly reinventing himself. Sometimes that meant being a pop star. David bowie was always kinda mainstream since '69 anyway.

>playing songs on shuffle
J*sus Chr*st

Implying Blue Jean, Modern Love and Loving the Alien aren't masterpieces of pop music composition

Stay bitch ass negro, pal

Why is bowie's version of tonight so fucking bad

This shit is honestly prime material for vaporwave, has anyone done it yet?

>generick dadrock
Kill yourself, the music Bowie made was different and influential, anything will seem generic if you've heard 40 years worth of music emulating it and being inspired by it.

>lodger
>outside
>low
>mainstream

Blue Jean and Loving the Alien are great but the rest ranges from meh to pure garbage.
Let's Dance had a lot of filler too though so I don't blame you too much.

Threw something together in fifteen minutes.
vocaroo.com/i/s0pnAVSJZgx4

Memewie's entire career was mainstream pop garbage.

he needed more money for cocaine-drugs. it was getting more expensive.

Except those times he didn't.

Pretty sure he was clean after 76.

such as?

Nearly every 70s artist had an embarassingly bad 80s run.

This is perfect

apart from phil collins obviously

>low b-side
>"heroes" b-side
>buddha of suburbia
>outside
>blackstar

are you implying that stuff isn't mainstream garbage? lol

Let's Dance is his only good 80s album

All the punk, post-punk, industrial, gothic, synthpunk, synthpop, new romantic, new wave, no wave, coldwave bands from the 70s fucking thrived in the 80s.

Pretty sure ambient instrumental, industrial and avant-jazz stuff is 2deep4plebs.

Umm...

Fuck, I always forget Scary Monsters was released in 1980.

>avant-jazz

lmao you have no idea what you are talking about

Bowie was a pop musician. he was technically an "experimental" pop musician but all that really means is that he ripped off sounds from the classical/jazz/avant-garde and mad watered-down versions for the masses. he never did anything that hadn't been done better before, and he sold so well because of his ridiculous image. I mean fucking look at him in pictures like this he looks like some lolsoquirky tumblr girl.

>he looks like some lolsoquirky tumblr girl.
You're fully aware that Tumblr fashion was basically invented by Bowie, right?

Everyone knows that weird period of time from 1979-1982 wasn't actually the 80s. It was basically the 70s but with less brown.

you sound like an utter spastic

please give me an example where bowie actually ripped-off music

This. How else would we have gotten Dexys Midnight Runners?

youtube.com/watch?v=3ZwWnXuB_eg

In the 20th century you were either a "pop" musician who made it onto the airwaves, or zero people knew who you were. It's totally ridiculous to use "pop" as a pejorative the way it is used in today's industry when radio was the one and only way people heard and digested new music. If you were heard you were considered worth hearing.

But you're foolish for thinking Bowie was the 1970's equivalent of Britney Spears. Shows some real ignorance when he existed in a climate where The Osmonds consistently beat him on the charts.

is this the worst bowie song?
youtube.com/watch?v=KkGLwQ76E5o

Nah, that's the prime iconic 80s, and it started in the late 70s. It's actually pretty funny how a lot of decade defining shit for the 80s wasn't actually made in the 80s.

Yo should be shot

>shuffle
>doesn't like bowie
kek

fucking this, great post

Try harder, user

youtu.be/xZ_Wbjz8JTc

there's something i kinda like about the laughing gnome

too dizzy is just cheesy trash

That's his best album you fucking pleb

>In the 20th century you were either a "pop" musician who made it onto the airwaves, or zero people knew who you were.

holy shit this is not true at all

please educate yourself

>Why did The Beach Boys start doing mainstream pop garbage in the mid 60's?

this is what you sound like :^)

This and Shining Star (Making My Love)

This album was just abysmal

didn't bowie call the 80s his "phil collins phase" in an interview somewhere?

Probably.

All those genres are garbage.
This

Isn't Bowie's whole thing doing mainstream pop stuff ironically?

Yes he did
He really hated much of his 80s output later on
He did Let's Dance because he was tired of not having hits and then it suddenly blew up and he had to cater to a new pop audience, so he spent much of the decade trying to appeal to a fanbase he didn't understand and that resulted in shit like Never Let Me Down.

Not an excuse for how awful those albums are (aside from let's dance which is ok) but it's a reason.

blame this man

Pet sounds=/=let's dance

user, you spelled "Rebel Rebel" wrong.

Ashes to Ashes is one of the most prescient songs in terms of what the 80s would become.

That's not what i was goin for with that post at all

It's just a reminder that when you chastise an artist solely for moving twards pop and and the mainstream, you sound like a tool.

This guy gets it.

I love you

holy fuck
this is good, I want more

Very nice

I made a vaporwave EP back in 2014, not Bowie, though.
frokenkeke.bandcamp.com/album/howe-9

I am sure he needed some cash. What a better way to do so than hitting mainstream once again? I am glad he realized it wasn't his thing tho. Not sure why he didn't so sooner since Scary Monsters was pretty anti-pop.

>Scary Monsters was pretty anti-pop.
Wasn't Ashes to Ashes his best selling single at the time?

rip stevie

It was but did it really sound like your ordinary pop song hit? I personally don't think so and you also have to take mind his song Fashion. The lyrics are really anti-pop like. You could apply it to any pop song now days and it would describe it perfectly.

F
too soon honestly

To make money on album sales. Same reason why all modern music is just pop music with different instruments.

yes