>questions
>discussions
>post gear/workspace
>for feedback, use clyp.it

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/2jm130e5
clyp.it/djavzfty
clyp.it/hd5abca1
web.archive.org/web/20120319091525/http://www.dnbscene.com/article/88-thinking-inside-the-box-a-complete-eq-tutorial/1
web.archive.org/web/20130424093619/http://www.dnbscene.com/article/1474-compress-to-impress-a-complete-compression-tutorial
clyp.it/zk3cgxcd
clyp.it/1i1vvmr3
youtube.com/watch?v=7_KYEtspRa0
clyp.it/wuq5h43b
clyp.it/153xc3se
clyp.it/dki504iy
clyp.it/m0xb1q0d?token=925e32df997c4c7f920b2624ec9be3bd
youtube.com/watch?v=koDGTwC701Q
soundcloud.com/dummymag/kamixlo-mata-lo
youtube.com/watch?v=E8hzJpeRLG0
youtube.com/watch?v=qyuSIR0z-lQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Yqxz8RZFEVE
superlust.bandcamp.com/album/vector-superfields
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I guess I'll start off.

clyp.it/2jm130e5
Something I finished earlier today. What should I improve?
I'm thinking of changing the kicks/snares to a more simple pattern. Should I?

bump

clyp.it/djavzfty
probably about to master this. would really really appreciate any feedback on the mix (if you have decent monitors or something).

can i get a lil feedy feedback - clyp.it/hd5abca1

what plugins would you say made the best positive impact on your mix? still feel like i cant mix for shit, are there any decent, cohesive guides you'd recommend? need to just start learning that aspect more, im sure the sonical progression will just come with practice.

ty x

if you wanna learn how to mix good i'd say start by just focusing on getting good at EQ:ing shit. there was a great article about EQ for noobs that i found helpful. site it was hosted on seems to be gone but i managed to find this web.archive.org/web/20120319091525/http://www.dnbscene.com/article/88-thinking-inside-the-box-a-complete-eq-tutorial/1

after that you could take a look at this article on compression web.archive.org/web/20130424093619/http://www.dnbscene.com/article/1474-compress-to-impress-a-complete-compression-tutorial

smooth as fuck man, progresses really nice and doesn't get repetitive. i dont have any decent monitors but its sounding good to me. shitty feedback cus i cant give you anything to improve but id love to hear the mastered version when its done

your words make me smile at least :) most of my shit gets pretty repetitive (used to making hip hop beats) but i tried to step outside that a bit with this one. thanks

yeah, desu i hate how its standard in hip hop to make a 4-bar loop for 16 bars each verse. its the bit that i struggle with the most i think - coming up with new ways to progress a beat by keeping it similar but not changing too much as to throw off the flow.

could you gimme a little insight into your process? do you create one 'main' loop and then vary one element at a time for each bar so its a smooth change or something like that? I'm used to just creating a 'verse' loop and a 'chorus' loop and then dropping out certain elements occasionally but i wanna get more creative with it.

also would you be able to give me some feedback on the mix of my track, it's

mix sounds great for the most part. the crackling feels a little too present, but that just be a matter of taste. as for the track as a whole I think it could use a little more variety. maybe try dropping out percussion at some point, or switching out some of the rolled chords for more percussive stabs. still, very nice track.

how she doin dudes?

clyp.it/zk3cgxcd

well an easy thing to do is to just take out certain elements here and there. like taking out the kick and the hats but keeping the snare and some percs at the end of the loop.

that track is based on two different chord progressions. it starts with progression A, then there's a transition thats kind of a mix between them, then progression B, then at the end A comes in again.

then there are basically three melodic elements i play around with. one is a melody i made with a kalimba sound from kontakt but reversed, one is a vocal sample and one is me playing like three notes on the guitar. if you introduce them at different times shit doesnt get as boring as if you would begin the track with all three immediately and then just loop it all.

oh, and filtering everything is hella good sometimes

the kick is what bothers me about your track. i cant really tell if its supposed to be a big boomy 808 type thing or if its just a regular kick with a weak sine wave bass under it.if you're going for the 808 thing there are a million tutorials on how to mix that type of thing and get it to sound like X and Y. or you could make the kick a little less in your face and add a more ear grabbing bassline

>melody

how do get good piano sounds please

EQ, compress, and reverb properly. You can get stock pianos to sound really good doing this. Expensive VST pianos sound shit out of the box anyways, so you need to learn how to do it properly.

ah ok thanks for the feedback man, gonna play around with some different kick/bass combos now.

keep this shit 100 lads

>id love to hear the mastered version when its done
not allowed to post sc link in here but i just finished it and posted it in the soundcloud thread

>4 hours
>still no feedback

Honestly I have no strong feeling about this one way or another. It was interesting enough to listen to, It didn't make me want to turn it off, but I don't really want to hear it again.

To your credit, it sounds pretty unique, like you are doing your own thing and not just worried about making edm banger number 858058. I appreciate that.

I take it back, it did start to grow on me. Sounds like you are championing a new genre that should be called pipe fog or something.

wip desu

clyp.it/1i1vvmr3

I got a new mixer today and the inputs are pretty crackly and the main fader hisses when I turn it up. It's pretty dirty on the outside but other than cleaning it what might fix it?

I take it the mixer isn't store-new, just new to you?

If the main fader is hissing with no channel faders or effect returns turned up (is this what you did to test the fader?) then the amp circuit feeding the line out is just plain noisy - could be bad circuit design or a bad repair. If you're using control room outputs on the mixer instead it could be a source selection causing excess noise.

Hard to say though without knowing the model of mixer.

>championing a new genre
That is honestly the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me. Thanks fami.

Used mixer from a guitar store? I got one like that too, they are really cheap but usually pretty fucked (when my pots are centered they bias the level left). I would say return it.

I understand all the discordance is intentionally stylistic, but it's personally unenjoyable and stale after about 30 seconds of toleration.

This is really cool. Nice textural progression. First sweep at 0:42 sounds more amateur than the rest of the piece tho.

Mixing is a little off-putting. Sounds empty. The drums could use some hi-end and the bass has no character

Mastering much needed this bitch is QUIET. This is like a good 8/10 however, I'm really enjoying it

is me

I don't know if you were inspired by a particular track, but it reminds me a lot of Melt by Leftfield. It's pretty good.

I want to isolate the piano in a sample I have. I use live 9. How the fuck would I do this?

I've been meaning to listen to them, are they good. I liked their one song, idr its name, they have cool basslines and sound design

New Behringer synth "wow"

youtube.com/watch?v=7_KYEtspRa0

Yeah, I got it on ebay. The guy said it worked when I asked him, but I'm guessing he just wanted to get rid of the thing. It's an Alesis multimix 16, I just read a few threads online about faulty circuits causing the main hiss on some models but it couldn't find anything about the inputs.

Hey can you guys give me production advice on this one slow song? It doesn't sound like stuff usually posted here.

clyp.it/wuq5h43b

Yes, the vocals and whisles are just placeholders, I know they're shit

clyp.it/153xc3se

What does everyone think of this? I pretty much just crank out tunes when I'm stressed and have 0 formal musical training. I think half the fun is just messing with the oscillators and getting things to sound interesting.

Anyway, tell me what you think. Drums are fairly weak.

That's the mixer I have, the USB 2.0 variant - it shouldn't be noisy. Do you have the 16 USB, the 16 USB FX, 16 Firewire or 16 USB 2.0?

Synths sound fantastic, I'm a sucker for large pads. Digital or analog? Techniques for getting that larger than life sound?

I got the firewire model

Hey thanks. All the synths are digital. The vangelis-type synths, as well as the drones are me trying to recreate a CS-80 in NI Massive, the distant-horns type sound is me layering a violin and horn preset in NI FM8, with some reverb. The bell is just FM8.

Basically for the big sound, use VST's that recreate analog instruments. Also a lot of smart reverb and EQing helps.

Cool, then your layout is the same as mine.

When you first switch it on, the green power LED lights up, and the signal (green) and peak (red) indicator LEDs for the built-in effects (immediately to the left of the little segment display) should flash and then go out.

After a while of owning the mixer (10 months and I got mine new) I started to see that the signal LED for the effects was starting to stay lit a faint green, associated with a slight hiss when the return B was turned up.

It was the caps in the power supply - these mixers were built smack in the middle of the "shit Chinese capacitors" period that affected loads of consumer electronics and made me a decent income for a while repairing their effect.

Willing to bet you have the same issue - either the caps have bulged, or they have already been replaced with caps that are just as shitty. It's not all that hard to open the thing up to check.

Yeah I've discovered that the fake "analog" virtual synths are usually the way to go. I've actually rather enjoyed limiting myself to stuff that's just built into Ableton (Operator, Analog, etc) instead of opting for some high class VST's. Although I'm curious about how much that would improve my game.

love it
apart from that dippy sidechain, imo

Pirating NI Massive was the best decision that I've ever made for my sound, you gotta put the time into learning it though; it's ridiculously complex but it can emulate pretty much anything.

Oh, meant to add - the power supply is really just the power regulation and distribution board within the mixer, not the external transformer.

>tfw no ppg wave gf

clyp.it/dki504iy been making beats for like 8 months lemme know what you think

What's the deal with ppg wave obsession? I never got why people who weren't around in the 80s love them so much.

Sup Forumstard here. Just got a macbook with garage band. how do I use it?

I'm looking at most likely getting one of these soon for making drum beats and furthering into beats in general, but honestly I don't know much about these at all, my only midi controller is a korg microkey 37-key. I use Reaper as my DAW and I was planning on probably popping out my copy of reason limited again for this thing and doing songs in chunks, and putting them together in reaper. Again though, I come from a black metal/doom background with recording so beats is a little new to me, what should I know going into this all together?

Delete system 32 and download ableton

Stop posting the exact same shit in every thread

nobody answered me last time

then you can stop now

I've never used my drum pads for beats, I just always end up plugging them in and adding artificial syncopation or adjusting them how I see fit. You're better off getting a midi keyboard, it's much easier to find a melody when you can "jam"

Well I have my microkey but I know someone here said that I'm unable to map and do a lot of other things I should be able to do. Maybe I could look down the line at a better midi pad with keys and a few programmable buttons

Ah I see. Yeah if you're trying to map functions or whatever I have no good advice for you. In fact, I probably have no good advice for anyone, I feel like I've developed this insanely weird way of producing music over the years just due to my habits and self learning haha

I've mostly self taught myself a lot of things. I attempt things first and when they don't work I take what I did wrong and use it to ask the question and find my answers. I mean working in my DAW over the years I didn't really understand equalization and paining until I played around with everything and it made sense. I want to say the same with composition as well, off subject, because now that I've got a new mew mic and finally have a bass amp I'm understanding how to dissect something I thought sounded good when I played it alone into three different instruments and how they all fit together in how I equalize them, where I pan them, and everything else. (Sorry for my soapbox, but make mistakes first to figure out what questions you need to ask or you won't know why the hell you're even learning something)

tight.

The Juno 106, 6, and 60 are like the most popular retro synths. Why the fuck don't they do a proper reissue as opposed to this stupid mini 4 voice thing?

Can I get an opinion on the mix/arrangement for this track? Would like to hear what could be done to improve

clyp.it/m0xb1q0d?token=925e32df997c4c7f920b2624ec9be3bd

well for starters it isn't techno

good post

Thanks

bump

Its roland lad

What's the difference between clipping, saturation and distortion?

They're all sort of the same thing. If you're dealing with actual electronic devices, there is a limit to how much gain that device can take before it starts to "clip" the sound, like in my pic. This can be referred to as "saturation" of the circuit. This changes the original signal, hence "distorting" it. Depending on what type of device you're "overdriving" you get different types of "clipping", which creates different harmonics in your output. So again, all sort of the same thing.

However often when you're dealing with effects not all the time, but often, distortion refers to creating the harmonics associated with distorting tubes, and saturation refers creating the harmonics associated with overdriving audio tape. Clipping on the other hand (again generally) refers to UNWANTED distortion caused by overdriving things.

All of this is very general, but I guess it's sort of the basics of it. It's easily argued that everything I said is wrong, because essentially all three words (plus my addition of overdrive) refer to the same basic principle.

is there a 'virtual analog' wavetable synth? like a synth that introduces minor random irregularities into wavetables to give them that 'analog' sound?

dune 2

u talkin above wat u know shoty

where can i find acapellas like these?

youtube.com/watch?v=koDGTwC701Q
soundcloud.com/dummymag/kamixlo-mata-lo

try saying a word in spanish over and over and over again. pretty sure it will be just as good as that track.

find the frequency of the piano and filter out the rest

lol
after that just use sausage fattener to bring everything else into the mix. after thats mixed use sausage fattener to bring the rest of it together.

give it like 30 minutes. then use sausage fattner again.

>web.archive.org/web/20120319091525/http://www.dnbscene.com/article/88-thinking-inside-the-box-a-complete-eq-tutorial/1

This is very good, many thanks.

u can do this in Serum rly easily

I was reading somewhere that all the guys who designed analog gear at Roland are retired or dead now.

is there a way in FL to map a sample to a keyboard and have it play at any key without the actual speed of the sample changing?

I get slight delay when I sequence my hardware synth from Ableton via MIDI, it is a strictly MIDI delay. How to fix?

select the stretch function in edison

do you know iftheres a way to do this in ableton? never bothered to try and change but it'd be helpful

do you have delay compensation on?
are your hardware synths plugged into your interface's MIDI or a MIDI-USB adaptor?

the new simpler (from 9.5 i think) lets you choose different ways of treating the sample, including stretch

I do not have compensation on.
It makes no difference whether it is USB or regular MIDI.

youtube.com/watch?v=E8hzJpeRLG0

how do you make this kind of voice riser that happens here before the vocals come in? I keep hearing it in songs and it's driving me nuts

>It makes no difference whether it is USB or regular MIDI.

it does actually. USB tends to have more jitter/latency

youtube.com/watch?v=qyuSIR0z-lQ

add to that the MIDI-USB conversion, shitty adapters, shitty USB ports/drivers, etc etc

Isn't that just reverse reverb?

Take vocal, add massive reverb, render it then reverse it.

>1ms

Oh fuck that's literally nothing m8.

I'm probably going to buy an Octatrack, not completely sure though. What's your experience with the box?

Can you do hour long seamless live sets with it?

How about making complete tracks in the box?

Reversed reverb - needs to be done in this order:

*Take your vocal sample, make a copy and reverse it.

*Add reverb to the reversed sample

*Record the reverb to its own separate track

*Reverse the recorded reverb

*Line the reversed reverb up with the original non-reversed vocal (you can delete the reversed one now if you like) so that the reversed tails precede the vocal

Why it needs to be done this way - you need the reverb to be acting upon the start of the vocal but reverb is an after-the-event effect, so you need to use a reversed vocal so that the start of the vocal sound you want effected is (temporarily) at the end, then (because reverb is after-the-event) you reverse the reverb to have the tail build up rather than die away.

>How about making complete tracks in the box?

bump wanna know this too

I am telling you the results of my experience.

youtube.com/watch?v=Yqxz8RZFEVE

You can make complete tracks with a simple electribe. Of course Octatrack is up to the task.

i know it's possible, im more asking for personal experience. if there's some inconvenience with there just being 8 tracks, does it feel unnecessarily limited sometimes, or does the limitation only make you make more creative. especially coming from the perspective of someone always working with 50+ tracks in a DAW.

[shill]
Fresh EP out, give it a listen fagios.
It has some bleeps and some bloops. Also it's free.
superlust.bandcamp.com/album/vector-superfields
[/shill]

shit, it was that simple? thanks for the help, yo!

I can attest that the limitations will make you explore venues you never have before and improve your music greatly.

i recon you have had one for quite some time?
how about performing hour long or so sets?
im buying it to breathe new life into my production process as well as to finally perform live

Yes, I have had a limitation for a long time, namely autism.

that was utter garbage

cool so far, has a nice a Rsdio vibe to it