/idm/ general

despite idm acts often being praised here (aphex, venetian snares, autechre etc) i rarely see the genre itself, related record labels, and lesser known artists being discussed.

post recs, favs, rare rdj's. idc. go with the flow

pic related.

Other urls found in this thread:

discogs.com/lists/Esoteric-IDM/158473
pastebin.com/raw/4Takuf75
youtube.com/watch?v=UTHV9s8myFY
youtube.com/watch?v=3ub6NV8VEJw
youtube.com/watch?v=N1LfoJHiCN4
youtube.com/watch?v=c6W5Ghuft0Q
youtube.com/watch?v=zjoy8KHjfy8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Thats future jazz

I wonder if that dude who really knew his shit from the last one of these that popped up is still around
Thats downtempo ya dingus

The RYM list for '''''IDM''''''' is the funniest thing I've ever seen.

Theres house, hip hop, downtempo, techno and other genres which aren't remotely '''IDM'''.

PROTIP: Its not an umbrella term for ''''electronic music''''' /bleep/ would rip you apart for posting in their general.

yeah no shit its got jazz influences/could more aptly be called future jazz. tell me something new. regardless, there are obvious idm elements in flanger's music (short note with a few, options in the fire from templates)

what says simply confirms the thought that there aint any objective opinion on this stuff anyway

"thanks". threaten me with nasty bleep lol

RYM blows for electronic genres in general
pic related is in the top 50 for techno, and as great as it is it's not exactly an essential of the genre
not to mention that singles and eps are largely ignored as well
but yeah, IDM is especially bad, they tend to use it for anything remotely experimental that isn't glitch/noise and then call a bunch of it ambient techno for no reason

I'm and I was joking about that, I've actually never listened to the album in the OP. what you're saying sounds pretty reasonable though.

give it a listen! the other dude is correct about the album being more future jazz than idm, but there isn't that much pure idm to go around anyways.

I'll trust your taste and recommendation since you just posted a great album, but it'll be a bit before I get around to it since I have fucking gigabytes of music to go through (especially since encountering the knowledgeable user I mentioned in )

cool. do you have a link to that thread or any other way i can get ahold of the album titles etc? dont browse mu that often and mustve missed it. would love to have a look

here's the thread: here's a list he did on discogs: discogs.com/lists/Esoteric-IDM/158473
and here's a pastebin of every album tagged as IDM in his library: pastebin.com/raw/4Takuf75
be aware that his taste leans more towards the ambient techno side of things, but I've already found some pretty good shit from him
there was also some other good stuff mentioned by people in the thread, so it's definitely still worth checking out

boards of canada and aphex twin are their top recommendations for techno music

rym blows in general for electronic music tbqfh

the sor ost is also the top for acid house (whereas none of the actual essential acid house records are in there)

Plaid is where it's at in terms of idm. Haven't heard their latest album yet but it's supposed to be gud

>the sor ost is also the top for acid house (whereas none of the actual essential acid house records are in there)
kek, why am I'm not surprised. at least the SOR osts are getting the praise they deserve (though the first one is by far the worst to my ears.)
I've never been able to get into them or The Black Dog from what I remember. their stuff struck me as generic as fuck. not to say they don't do what they do very well, it's just that all the tones and sounds used on their work are the most simple, basic IDM-ey ones imaginable, and I'm a slut for unique sounding stuff.

post some tunes dont argue again about the term its fucking boring

youtube.com/watch?v=UTHV9s8myFY

youtube.com/watch?v=3ub6NV8VEJw

youtube.com/watch?v=N1LfoJHiCN4

damn, that EOG tune is more Autechre-esque than the Gescom one. can't believe I've never heard of them before.
comfy tunes
youtube.com/watch?v=c6W5Ghuft0Q
youtube.com/watch?v=zjoy8KHjfy8

bump

IDM doesn't really work as a genre for me. Whenever I go digging into more obscure artists it's all really terrible, especially the stuff recommended on Sup Forums

it's in this weird in-between area of being a scene and a genre. there's a few big names that are god-tier and then there's some hidden gems as well, but 95% are shitty knock offs that sound samey generic as fuck.
I'll recommend you Clark, Brothomstates, and Ilkae for some decent slightly more obscure stuff though.

bump

>goat early 90s cyberpunk ambient techno based on blade runner movie
tell me why haven't you listened to this album today user

s-sorry user
in my defense it's been sitting in my "needs tagging" folder for a good while