youtu.be/0jgrCKhxE1s
youtube.com/watch?v=n5-2tY0wo0I
youtube.com/watch?v=rq0rdilUgHo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

fucking idiot

First for absolute garbage opinions

prog album cover dump?
prog album cover dump

Which is a more nu-male band? Deafheaven or Periphery?

Probably the latter.

6THrd for ILLEGAL DEADLY THRASHING BESTIAL VIOLENT BULLDOZING GUTTURAL SLAM BRUTALITY

post some then

Can't get into Fartidaudi. Their songwriting seems too simple and amateurish.

Deafheaven are legit, Abbath said so

does the guy go around everywhere in his clown makeup?

well yeah that's what clowns do

Yes

he does actually

kek

deafheven is an absolute garbage band mate

>he doesn't wear corpsepaint all the time

anyone got a starter kit for doom?

What's /metal/'s opinion on this meme track?
youtube.com/watch?v=qM71torFNBQ
It's one of my favorites to post in cringe threads

deafhaven? are those the faggots he's sitting with?
>cuck o negative
oh boy

candlemass

black metal sucks

Personal Favs are Electric Wizard, Sleep, YOB, Church of Misery, High on Fire, Melvins, Boris, Acid Bath, and Eyehategod.

t. blackie

Post EQs
I lost my god-tier settings and now everything sounds like shit

I feel like I just read the plot synopsis for a cartoon.
Why is concept prog so ridiculously corny?

everything up all the way

I find it ridiculous that the song has a chorus. Is that part of the irony?

Treble-10
mids- 4-5
bass-2-3
gain-10

It's post-ironic

absolute garbage mate

>There's a sense of immediacy and visceral intensity to this missing from a lot of prog metal. This is extremely involved and technical music, with lots of proggy instrumental breaks and tons of keyboard runs, but the music never wallows in that, instead choosing to use those things to create a sort of roller-coaster experience. Rather than get caught up in cerebral instrumental exercises, Zierler pulls you in and keeps the twists and turns coming, and it wouldn't work without the delirious musical displays of excess and frivolity - the music is aided by those things, rather than clouded by them. The riffs are masterful slabs of chugging, rock-hard steel, and the venomous screams from singer Kelly Carpenter sound huge. Bassist Truls Haugen also does vocals, adding even more variety as he goes between a vitriolic bark and poppy clean vocals, giving the album even more of a sense of unpredictability.

>You just never really know where these songs are going. Each of them sounds different. This is a more song-oriented album than any of the Beyond Twilight ones, and at first listen this was so huge and so varied it made my head spin. But further listens opened this up and revealed its secrets as a collection of highly memorable, inimitable songs weaving tales of mental darkness and insanity the way we know and want from Zierler. Opener "A New Beginning" slithers out of the gates with a slow build, before exploding like a firework into the chorus. Then you get the chugging, hyper-melodic ride of "Aggrezzor" - a song that Machinae Supremacy could have written if they were high on cocaine. "Darkness Delight" is an album stand-out, sort of Symphony X-esque, with tectonic plate-sized riffs and screaming vocals building to a huge climax before traversing into eerie, contemplative waters in its second half - a fluid song that exists as its own universe; a fascinating experience.

>Later on you get slower, weirder songs like "Dark to the Bone," with its creepy chorus and grooving bassline, and the almost formless, structureless delve into the dark of "Evil Spirit" - one of Zierler's more nihilistic moments to date, and one of his most bizarre songwriting concoctions. "Rainheart" is another album highlight, a positive track about Zierler's love for his children, set to an uplifting keyboard melody, ringing guitars and a surprisingly warm, emotive chorus from Carpenter - usually more known for his brutal Halford-esque shrieking rather than anything heartfelt, but he pulls it off here.

>"You Can't Fix Me No More" is another schizophrenic thrill ride of blasting guitars, venomous vocals and lyrics about mental instability, and then the two eight-minute closers "Water" and "Whispers" drop out the aggression and go for atmosphere. Check out the insane prog break before the last chorus in "Water" - shit, that's good. I haven't heard a prog metal band do something this cool in a while now.

>These songs are brazenly open-minded and forward-thinking, rarely ever conforming to any kind of conventions. Zierler himself obviously intended that, as the extremely blunt lyrics of "No Chorus" attest, but it comes off as fun rather than pretentious here, perhaps due to how well put together the music is. If it were a more naval-gazing, pretentious experience, lyrics like the ones on "No Chorus" about breaking rules and bucking trends and fighting 'the norm' would come off as either immature or an extreme bore, but instead, due to how exciting this album is, it comes off as refreshing. You agree with them because the music is persuasive and vibrant - yeah, you know, we SHOULD break the mold more! Fuck having choruses!

What's the best Isis album?

>This is challenging, daring, exciting stuff. It absolutely never rests on its laurels, and even its mellowest and most tranquil moments are still vivid and electric due to the fact that you don't know what's coming next. Initially this may seem to be too much to take in, perhaps biting off more than it can chew with the variety on display and the long length, but it's that same restlessness that makes this great in the long run. To Zierler, there's no such thing as going too far. This album doesn't take shortcuts or provide relief. It's 70 minutes of high octane, no-holds-barred heavy metal taken in directions most bands wouldn't dream of. This is a glorious experience, and one of the best albums of the year.

allahu akbar

they suck, but the best isis movie is four lions.

>extremely involved and technical music
oh so shitty keyboard arpeggios are technical now...

literally children of bodom

non troll response

Where is your non-troll response? Because that's the worst of the first three Isis albums.

Where do I start with Melvins?
What albums do I listen to?

this one

Ozma, then bullhead and lysol, then gluey porch treatments, then houdini and stoner witch.

then stop

absolute garbage opinion mate cause that's the best

Literally the greatest power metal album ever made

Oh you're a britbong
never mind that explains it

see

Can we please keep our memes contained?

Fucking Canadians

oh shut up britbong

Celestial if you want riffs, panopticon if you want atmoshit

>atmoshit
where do i find more of this atmoshit?

You can ask someone else. That's as far as my interest goes.

see atmoshit section

why the fuck are there always canadians in every metal community i've been in
even fucking metallum is ran by a fucking leaf

where do i start with power metal? kinda bypassed that whole subgenre

Do you like riffs or keyboards?

>riffs
USPM and 80s and 90s JPM

>keyboards
EUPM and 00s and 10s JPM

>Annihilator
>Anvil
>Devin Townsend
>Rush
>Voivod

Some of the most meme metal bands ever too

riffs mainly but keyboards are pretty sick too

the leafs have given birth to some of the most influential metal bands of the 90s, particular in tech, death and prog.

tfw all those bands are pretty good

>Saint Vitus on the extras
The dude who made this deserves to be raped by a cemetary cross

There's three main scenes, the American scene, the European scene, and the Jap scene.

Essential USPM bands include Jag Panzer, Riot, Manowar, Liege Lord, Fates Warning, Savatage, Agent Steel and Armored Saint.

Essential EUPM bands include Helloween, Stratovarius, Rhapsody, Lost Horizon, Dragonforce, Sabaton, Keldian and Blind Guardian.

Essential JPM bands include X Japan, Galneryus, Sex Machineguns, Versailles, Aion, Light Bringer, After Image and Dragon Guardian

shit thanks man that's really helpful

>Essential EUPM bands
>Dragonforce

no problem lad, there's a ton more bands in each of the scenes but I mostly touched on the decent/good big names and not the mediocre big names.

Excellent picks all around but Dragon Guardian is 2weeb4me

what does /metal/ think about saint vitus being signed to SST? do you guys like any other SST bands?

funnily enough, dragon guardian's one of the least weeby anime power metal bands out there

there's power metal bands so ridiculously weeby they make dragon guardian look tame.

youtube.com/watch?v=xfcGPsm6mFU
youtube.com/watch?v=oimshiQGB9k

>not liking the band responsible for that one hard guitar hero song
youtu.be/0jgrCKhxE1s

really fucking dig the new defiled album
youtube.com/watch?v=n5-2tY0wo0I
any body got recs?
i like the sort of raw homemade feel that doesn't sacrifice clarity, and love the riffs and drumming

what's some good metal to read the fellowship of the ring to?

youtube.com/watch?v=rq0rdilUgHo

>that first link

I couldn't even make it past 30 seconds

I guess all of us have our guilty pleasures. That song is pretty catchy, if nothing else.

>shitting on dragonmeme

dragonmeme was literally the first Sup Forumscore band, from the 2006-2007 era. not even memeing

Wew lad

>rivendell
oh shit nigga

>Dragonforce
>Blood Stain Child
>Children of Bodom
>James "Hatefield"
>SUGAR! posting
>Souvenirs d'un autre monde being meme of the year
>spamming The Tourist Shining songs telling him to kill himself
>tripfags reinacting the cover of Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust

That was almost 10 years ago.........

p-pls respond

IT'S TIME TO FILL THE THRASH VACUUM
IT'S TIME TO THRASH LIKE IT'S '86

You are old now. Soon you will die. You and your kind will be forgotten.

I'm surprised blood stain child still gets brought up here since most really old Sup Forums metal memes have been dead for 5+ years

Varg too, but he's an eternal meme and will be meme'd til the end of time.

That's his actual face

Varg has stayed a fresh meme for almost a decade now, something no other meme can say

pretty impressive

That's because Varg knows how to be fresh with the meme scene.

varg cracks me up desu

Varg is adorable. It's literally impossible not to like him.

>for almost a decade now
he's been infamous around the world for over two decades

>varg killed a man to draw in the edgelords
>varg made atmoshit to draw in the pretentious hipsters and kvltfags
>varg LARPs to attract the neckbeards
>varg e-blogs to attract the internet crowd
>varg spews politics to appeal to Sup Forums

Varg has a monopoly on memes. He's a meme entrepreneur.

Seriously why is he such a meme?

>varg makes a tabletop game to draw in the /tg/ crowd

>varg killed a man to draw in the edgelords
but he killed the be all, end all edgelords, the Norwegian Elliot Rodgers himself, Euronymous

He told me about Basic Fantasy RPG which is basically the closest you can come to a simple to play, basically free 1st Edition Dungeons and Dragons.

>varg's so memey that erotic fanfiction of him and Dead exists on deviantart