"That will make the ladies scream." - Joseph Hadyn

"That will make the ladies scream." - Joseph Hadyn

Previous thread An experiment in a pen-and-paper composing general, made for all the composition autists

This differs from /prod/ in that it is more focused on the actual writing of music, not the production. That is not to say /prod/'s electronic music is unwelcome, by all means, post here! But post with the intent on discussing composition. And remember, this is NOT /classical/. Any music, such as jazz, pop, rock, country, electronic etc. is acceptable

Post clyps and accompanying notation so we can give accurate feedback.

STUFF /COMP/ DOES
>the /comp/ YouTube channel
youtube.com/channel/UCqUEaKts92UIstFjrz9BfcA

>the /comp/ weekly challenge
[email protected]

THEORY
>Fux's Counterpoint
opus28.co.uk/Fux_Gradus.pdf

>Orchestration (Rimsky-Korsakov)
northernsounds.com/forum/forumdisplay.php/77-Principles-of-Orchestration

>Teoria - Music Theory General Guides/Articles
teoria.com/index.php

>Arnold Schcoenberg's "Fundementals of Music Composition"
monoskop.org/images/d/da/Schoenberg_Arnold_Fundamentals_of_Musical_Composition_no_OCR.pdf

>Jazz harmony (from the course at Berklee)
davidvaldez.blogspot.com/2006/04/berklee-jazz-harmony-1-4.html

PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS
>Basic composing
youtube.com/watch?v=hWbH1bhQZSw

>Free Notation Software
musescore.org/

IMPROVISATION
>Fake books for jazz and blues soloing
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BzW9o5O35hQzMzA0ZmI0MWEtZGFmNi00OTQ0LWI2MjMtOWUyNzgyNmUzNzNm&usp=drive_web&ddrp=1&hl=en#

Other resources (full of lessons and books): pastebin.com/k3xddxwr

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/jqkoe1ee
youtube.com/watch?v=-amweDhP3Lo
tobyrush.com/theorypages/index.html
clyp.it/tc0kdpzk
clyp.it/bvimecj4
clyp.it/uqa3lfpg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

shit forgot title

shitwit

>not doing the challenge this week
>too busy working on my cello sonata
Feels good that I can say such a thing at all to be honest.

Good luck desu

bump

Why is writing music so hard :(

Post some of your scores and we can help you out if you have problems

It's not even that, I want to write just a simple jazz track but I don't even know how to start it.

What instrument do you play?

Drums
It's more of a lack of knowledge in terms of song structure

>It's more of a lack of knowledge in terms of song structure

Do you mean what form you should apply or how you can follow up section A with Section B?

I don't want to shittalk you, but from my experience drummers lack knowledge in harmony.

>spend horse creating a relatively "album art" for music i plan to release in the future
>5000x5000
>almost 100MB

>spend horse

Had a good chuckle

i'm very tired

>but from my experience drummers lack knowledge in harmony
Oh you hit the nail on the head there, I've learnt the basics of reading music and so on but I don't really have anything to apply it to.
And I mean song structure in general terms, say verse chorus, that sort of thing.
Sorry if I'm coming off as a complete idiot, probably because I am at times when it comes to creativeness, but jazz just seems so complex and impenetrable.

>think you're learning and making some nice tunes.
>hear some crazy creative shit and realize you're a fucking pleb

Every time. How do get gud?

Do you understand how chords work in Jazz?
If you're a complete beginner I would just suggest to write out a II-V-I and look up some basic chord progressions like Rhythm Changes.

Also on a side note, a good drummer is worth a lot. I would take a good drummer over a good bass player or Saxophone player every time.

Post scores and we can help you out.

THE /comp/ COMPOSITION CHALLENGE #3 METERS July 8st - July 15rd

Compose a short piece (around 1 to 2 minutes) with three distinct meters in any instrumentation. Treat these time signatures as meters, rather than just throwing in a different time signature for a bar or two for phrasing purposes. Consider making your meters distinct by considering whether the time signatures you choose are duple or triple; simple, compound or complex/irregular.
BONUS CHALLENGE: Make at least one section of your piece polyrhythmic/polymetric

Post WIPs, talk about things to consider when changing meters, post pieces that have strong metric changes, post polyrhythmic pieces.

>How do get gud?
Practice. It takes at least 10 years to "get gud" at writing music. Keep doing it, keep learning more about it, keep studying the scores of the masters. Eventually you will improve.

You dont have to write "crazy creative shit" just music that you enjoy listening to. Nice tunes is fine and most people really enjoy that.

u get gud when get to the point you tell your gf to suck someone else off so you can work on your music

>muh 10,000 hours rule
>muh ira glass monologue
>Nice tunes is fine and most people really enjoy that.
you sound like you have absolutely 0 business explaining how to git gud to anyone

Personally, I think that if you have a very specific level/style/anything that you want to achieve, you can get there pretty darn fast with focused study and practice. Then you don't have to practice general harmony/counterpoint/form etc., you just have to beeline for the goal and take what you need along the way. Then later, you can of course expand into those areas you ignored and use them as a source of renewing inspiration and widening knowledge.

Probably, this is also more effective in today's society, where I get the impression that there's a lot more competition, and a composer needs to have a lot of other skills. The faster you get yourself up and working to aquire these other skills (business, production, networking, practical experience with musicians etc), the better, as these will be equally important in the long run. A full-time study of everything general composition would therefore leave you at a disadvantage and vulnerable when you finish and only THEN having to find out how to make money on your craft.

So yeah, if you go for a more straight forward/economic approach, it will get you up and working faster, so you can get precious work experience. And also, you don't have to endure all those years with excercises that are nothing like the music you actually want to make and you also avoid years of composing subpar quality because you only focused on harmony that first year, only to then go onto orchestration etc. which I know is how unis usually work. The quick start to composing (trademarked... just kidding).

>business, production, networking, practical experience with musicians etc
wew & while ur at it just make sure to study up on the custodial arts as well

he's right if you want to be a successful professional composer.

>u get gud when you tell your gf to suck someone else off so you can work on your music
fix'd

If you have better advice, feel free to give it.

not him, but being a professional composer is probably 50% running a business. all the things you quoted are essential.

reposting from last thread

a WIP for the challenge. I have the first section done, and I've sketched out grooves for the next tow but haven't completed the melody yet. Let me know how successful you think the meter changes are.
clyp.it/jqkoe1ee

Are you the guy people said makes music like a JRPG? This feels like something that could fit into one like that, no problem. I like it. Relaxing and atmospheric. A pad-like instrument like synth pads or strings could enhance this piece, as there are no legato/non-rhythmic elements in your texture. I feel that's what's lacking.

Don't think I'm that guy, but thanks, I'll be taking your advice.

That will also enable you to write more freely and interestingly for the flute. Not just using the same note values throughout.

Finally, I'd add another solo instrument, or trade the melody to one or two of the other instruments in the piece, for some needed contrast and variation later.

>"That will make the ladies scream"
Manheim Rockets are a meme

www.strawpoll.me/10720807/
decide on the day. So far, Sa is the fav.

My agenda would be
1. Modal scales as of today, incl. the modes added in later chant theory
2. Origins, introduction to gregorian chant
(2.1 introduction into mensural notation)
(2.2 introduction into solmization)
3. Modal scales in Gregorian chant
3.1 ambitus, tenor, finalis
3.2 Examples for most modes
4. chord progressions

I'm not familiar with modal jazz and the likes, so if anyone wants to make a follow up to this, feel free to!

Why do you do this?

I believe in the power of music to set hearts free from evil

just an offer. People were asking about modal stuff, so I thought I could provide some background infos.

We can ofc cut to the chase and skip the subsections

gonna highjack this thread for a personal /r/

Can somebody tell me which piece is played in the following Video? Its driving me crazy

youtube.com/watch?v=-amweDhP3Lo

14:30

Liszt Liebestraum 3

god bless you

No, I mean, what do you get out of this?

I get to solidify my knowledge of the gregorian modes, which in turn willl hopefully help me improve my playing / accompanying these kinda pieces on the organ.

tobyrush.com/theorypages/index.html
yo could we include this in the sticky rather than that dog shit youtube link. I don't want to pay 30$ a month for some staff paper worksheets, nigga is a scam artist.

How do you guys know which key to use, I've heard certain modes serve certain emotions but what about key signatures?

key signatures all sound the same in equal temperament. Certain keys can point towards certain emotions based on the instrument you're using. For example, if you have a flute melody in C major that spans an octave and a third, C to E', it either has to be fairly high all the time, and quite brilliant, or very low, quiet and intimate. If you didn't want either of these, or wanted a middle ground, you could instead put the piece in F.

basically, you have to balance your instrumentation, writing, and key choice. If you sing a melody and transcribe it, and it's in Bb, you should consider what instruments could play it best. If you really want to use a specific instrument, try putting it in a key where it will shine in that instrument's range.

Also, some stuff is easier to play in certain keys, and again depends on the instruments

Shit like piano solos, it won't matter what key you're in outside of just how it sounds in that range, and if you want to use particular voicings.

Seconded.

To add further to your point: the objective frequencies also matter, because they have different characteristics. This too comes into play when choosing keys.

Also, it helps to know which keys are easier to play with which instrument. Lots of wind instrument players have an easier time with flat accidentals for some reason. Guitar players love keys that allow for empty strings.
Organ players don't like too many accidentals, cause that can make the pedalling a chore, just to name a few.

b

>Lots of wind instrument players have an easier time with flat accidentals for some reason
It's because most transposed instruments transpose down, like a fifth down (in F), two fifths or a major second down (in Bb), etc. Probably has something to do with physics, though A instruments exist, so I dunno.

So if you handed a F instrument to someone and told them to play a G, they'd play what someone with perfect pitch would call C. If you had them play a G major scale, they'd play a C major scale, if you give them something in the key of G they'd play in the key of C. In other words if you want such an instrument to play in C major, give them something in G major. (F instruments are called such because F is what's played when C is written.)

So something in concert C major is in (written) G major for an F instrument. Something in concert G major is in (written) D major for an F instrument, etc. Another way to put that is that, for an F instrument:
Concert C major has one sharp
Concert G major has two sharps
Concert D major has three sharps
Concert X has whatever the key of X normally has, plus one sharp (or minus one flat, a flat's basically a negative sharp).

This shift gets bigger for every fifth the instrument is transposed. Since most transposing woodwinds are F, Bb and Eb IIRC, if you write something in some benign key like D major, most of such instruments will have a key signature with three sharps, four sharps or five sharps. Not easy for any instrumentalist to read five sharps, except pianists who seem to be attuned to keys away from C in general. (Not that I, some pleb string player, know what I'm talking about, but the only A instrument I know about without googling, the A clarinet, is like something extra a full orchestra might have in case they're playing Schubert's Unfinished Symphony or something, while Bb is the standard one.)

I have a question, /comp/.

How do I compose an answer to a question that isn't much longer than it needs to be? I think I have a genuine problem

like this

just get dubs and say "git gud"

joking aside, we appreciate your detailed answers

Ah.

Well you see, first of all step 1 is to identify what the person was asking. Let's take your question as an example because it's pretty relevant right know. Identifying the question is important. There are three clauses in your post, but we need to single out the question. Take a look at the "?" also known as the question mark, or in italian, punto interrogativo. The clause BEFORE, not after (although the clause after may also be a question, but that's not always the case) is your question. In this case, it's "How do I compose an answer to a question that isn't much longer than it needs to be?" So we went to focus only on this question and not answer anything else that is irrelevant. For instance, I could fluff up my answer by address your other two clauses "You do have a question. You might have a genuine problem" but you can avoid them entirely. Avoid putting the question into different contexts unnecessarily. For instance, I could also answer
How do I compose an answer to a question that isn't much longer than it needs to be in an exam situation? Because my answer to that (figure out how many answers a question is worth, and dedicate a specific amount of lines to answered the question based on that) might not be relevant.

Well fuck

How's the compilation of the variation challenge coming along, btw?

When you lot load up musescore to try writing something, what do you do?
Just analyzing my habits to go straight away into a piano 4/4 in Cmaj

I usually start with an idea in my head, or start by improvising on a MIDI controller/keyboard instrument.

I always try to imagine a melody in my head before committing anything to the page. I usually start with a melody unless I'm writing electronic or game music where I usually start with a tempo or percussion part and a chord progression.

Bumpů

expanding on what said,
I usually find that if you get to the blank sheet music (analog or digital) before you have an idea of what you want to write, that blank sheet music is going to remain blank for a very long time.

Actually, the same can be said of a blank canvas, a blank college thesis, a blank character creation screen, etc.

I've started on writing the materials for the stream on Modes, vote on a date for the stream. if you want it by tomorrow, I'll have to skip some subsections.

www.strawpoll.me/10720807/

What do I get out of it, I was asked
> consolidate my own knowledge
> test features on my current notation software
> learn the english specific vocabulary

good on you user. modes are based, thanks for your time

Honestly just take your time with it, if you rush stuff you'll miss certain things out (like the double sharp chord and the inversion on lesson 2)

bump with a short nightly doodle

clyp.it/tc0kdpzk

>wrote 6 measures of an intro to a cello sonata, currently stuck
>what I've written is tonal, but seems to follow its own set of rules more stringently
>don't actually know what those rules are, so wrote the piano part by trial and error, trying a haphazardly-chosen sonority and tossing it if it doesn't fit
This is a problem I have a lot, actually.
>a scale called 'lydian b3' can be derived from original idea / first two measures
>applies in varying degrees to other four measures, but not stringently and there's some disobedience to the scale I can't explain away in my wily music theory ways
>look at lydian b3 scale, decide on a whim to circle 'most important' notes
>originally came up with first two measures by improvising on what someone here suggested many threads ago, "use m2s and m6s"
>they're scale degrees 2 through 5 of the scale, B C D# E
>notated chromatically, (0,1,4,5)
>glance at the progression of sonorities I came up with by trial and error in the piano part in measure 5 and 6
>EBE (EMaj no third), AEb (Adim no third), then parallel octaves CC and BB
>highest voice is going E, Eb, C, B
>notated chromatically, (5,4,1,0)
>mfw

Sorry to write my fucking master's thesis here, didn't know how to say this more compactly.

post sheet music.

sounds very very very complicated
post clyp pls

m8 if it sounds good to you, thats the only "rules" you need to follow. Its good to do a little bit of analysis as you go, but dont get too caught up in it. It doesn't have to make sense theoretically as long as you feel it sounds correct.

is there anything glaringly wrong with this?
finally got around to attempting something remotely jazzy

except for the thirds in the low bass, no. the lower the notes, the larger should the intervals be.

>>larger should the intervals be

My handspan is only a ninth, so I fucking hate all these niggers who write 13 notes wide chords.

yoda is best composition teacher

"A composer must have the deepest commitment, the most serious mind. This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away… to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. Hmm? What he was doing. Hmph. Adventure. Heh. Excitement. Heh. A composer craves not these things.”

its bad form to go over an octave span in each hand imo. Not everyone is Rachmaninoff

Sorry, beginner oversight

Thank you. inb4 weeb, but my heart was torn when I realized I couldn't play my favorite piano piece. It starts like this and only gets worse.

Here. Details kind of inconsistently written in because it's transferred from a physical notebook.

Unfortunately I've resolved to never let the midi touch this with its dirty hands.
Could record the cello, though, the (newly edited) piano part is pretty simple, and easy to imagine once you know that silently holding a note on a piano causes a sort of reverb whenever notes of the same overtones are pressed. Unfortunately that effect isn't in digital pianos for obvious reasons, so I can't record that.
It's actually fairly simple, it's just that my specialty is looking far, far too deeply into music, and explaining things succinctly is not exactly my forte

That's true, and I'm writing the cello part almost solely by ear with my cello in hand. But there are a few things that sound like they fit into this piece, and then there are many things that don't sound like they fit at all (like, I dunno, uh, Shave and a Haircut? Beethoven-style over-and-over tonics at the end? The melody of Dvorak's 9th second movement?), and among those things is everything I've learned about traditional harmony and melody. In this case I can't just write an entire movement by slow trial and error to discern what pitch should go next, that would end up sounding disorderly and unfocused.

Like, what I've written actually falls pretty easily into a straightforward sentence structure, 2 measures of something, 2 measures of the same thing changed/transposed, and 4 measures (well, here it's incomplete) where that thing is cut to pieces and one of those pieces, especially the first half of the original thing, is developed further. So I can experiment and write by ear pretty easily in the confines of that comfy structure. But now that I'm leaving it, especially on such a contrasting note (those harmonics), I can't just trial and error my way through this uncharted ground.

>dat clef.

Ugh, the line counting begins.

Bad voicings mainly. As the other anons pointed out, your have minor thirds too low, and your spans are too long. You actually don't need to change most of your chords, you just need to move stuff into the right hand (thumb holds down chord tone, other fingers play melody). In the second chord, you have a minor 9th between the E and F, which is no bueno. Same interval pops up in your 4th chord. Also you chord progression is kind of not happening. G-7 E-7b5 C7 E-7b5 doesn't really want to go anywhere. For these 4 bars and your melody, I might suggest something really simple like G-7 E-7b5 A-7 D7 G-7 C7 Fmaj7 Fmaj7. Kind of lame, but more effective.
Your voice leading is also not good, you should aim for more smoothness. This is hard when you want to play the roots of your chords, but is possible. I've shown here how I'd do it.
The melodic rhythm in beat 4 of bars 1 and 4 can just be spelt with quarter notes, since you've indicated swing already. Yeah, swing is not exactly the same as triplets, but in this piece there is no need to distinguish.

Shit, skipped a step here.

>>originally came up with first two measures by improvising on what someone here suggested many threads ago, "use m2s and m6s"
>>they're scale degrees 2 through 5 of the scale, B C D# E

between those two should be something like
>>so the 'most important' notes in the scale are the ones from the original idea which I expanded into the first two measures
(which were D#, B , E and C.)

Uh, sorry, it's just a cello thing. If it helps, whenever I'm reading a viola part in alto I remember that the note the clef is "pointing" at is middle C no matter what.

I know it's a C clef, but I can't read it instantly. I have to count the lines from the c and calculate

>I can't just write an entire movement by slow trial and error to discern what pitch should go next
you can, but you're right it can start sounding unfocused. I'd suggest just sketching the whole thing to the end of the movement / piece trial and error styles, just using your own judgement to keep things coherent. Have an overall idea or overall sound you're trying to go for and just write with that in mind. Then you can go back and "focus" it, improving weak parts etc.

I guess everyone has their own work process, but I couldn't handle over-analyzing the first 6 bars of what I was writing unless it was something complicated like a strict fugue exposition. Just let the music flow out, you can always delete or edit it later.

Thanks user, sorry for being so shit though. It's no excuse but I've never played a melodic instrument in my life.

> when you write a nice depressing/melancholic melody but when you add chords that fit within the scale it just makes it sound happy
> and shit

I've got a B, D, C, bm, D sharp, and A and I'm in the D sharp scale (I'm assuming) what chords would compliment each note that would still keep the feel melancholic?

Also how are you doing the input for this?
(musescore)

Pretty sure he's using sibelius. surely musescore can do this though?

post melody, we will give you some dark chords

It's from a black metal song I'm working on which explains the tremolo

Anons being nice in /comp/ Feels good.

>I guess everyone has their own work process, but I couldn't handle over-analyzing the first 6 bars of what I was writing unless it was something complicated like a strict fugue exposition
I guess it's no wonder the first piece I ever completed was a fugue. (But that was because I never ever complete things, and also I was being a tryhardy little shit.)

clyp.it/bvimecj4

another short, maybe i'll continue with this one, it's kinda funny i think. what'd you think user?

Your melody seems to start in one key and finish in another, but I did my best.

clyp.it/uqa3lfpg

For Black metal you can keep things pretty simple, I'd try to think more about chordal writing than trying to have a melody and then harmonise it. Black metal is all about sweet chord progressions more than melodies imo.

Also reposting my "Standard Black metal chord Progression" I made ages ago. Literally every black metal song ever could get away with just playing this progression over and over.

Sometimes 2 note chords (dyads) are the most effective, more notes just clutter up the place. Semitone movement is also your friend. Up and down by semitone, while everything else stays static, can't go wrong.

This is great, it still has those "cheerful" chords that I was trying to get away from but it has the darker chords that compliment them with a darker stormy night feeling. Thankyou

just play around in a certain key or mode and know what interval jumps sound good

Yeah I'd focus more on writing cool chords than writing melodies and trying to harmonize them. You only need 2 notes per chord, just double them up or down the octave to fill them out. Dyads m8, lots of semitone movement and you're looking good