How do you listen to music?

Hello guys and gals. I haven't seen this question asked here, so I'm posting it.

What are your music listening habits like?
Are you 100% focused on music or are you doing something else (hobbies, chores, internet, ...)?
What positions, locations?
Does it depend on the type of music (if so, elaborate)?
Headphones or speakers?
Do you listen to full albums in one take?

It depends on the genre. With most music I can listen to it while browsing, but sometimes I'll get the feeling that I'm missing out and will exit out to focus on what's playing. For certain genres like drone or noise I'll try and pay attention/zone out to the whole thing. I listened to a three hour drone album the other day and it was really nice.

Always full albums, and always headphones. Sometimes I'll lay down on my bed to listen, but I usually fall asleep, so sitting on my chair is best.

Thanks for replying. I have the same issue with falling asleep if I lie down.
I find it strange however, that you focus on drone and browse while listening to most other music (however, I don't know what this term means for you).
I've never been able to properly appreciate an album if I didn't focus 100% (but I rarely have time and attention to do this, so I just waste time on the net while listening to bits of albums)

Depends on everything. The album. The mood. Where I am. I don't think everything should be listened to in the same way, unless of course if your trying to critique it and review it then I think there should be some little things that should be kept the same throughout

Thank you, I have the same opinion. But I'm interested in individual responses. Would you mind describing your habits?

Yeah sure.
Usually sat or laid on top of my bed/over the sheets with headphones on if I really enjoy something and want to experience it more. But usually I'm biking or on the bus when I listen to 70% of new music and my mind wanders alot when im there so it's not the best but it's by no means bad

thank you. what are your favourite artists outside Sup Forumscore?

It's kind of strange, yeah, but every time I like an album, it stands out a lot. Focusing on most music does nothing for me, but minimal stuff like drone is so subtle that you have to really tune in to notice anything.

what are your favourite drone albums?

I'm just getting into the genre, but I really like The Bees Made Honey in the Lion's Skull by Earth.

oh, i've been recently listening to Earth as well

i either like to listen at home, at friends house or in a dark chill place full of people. i havenĀ“t been the same ever since i got back from the Toto gig tbfh its hard to get into live concerts

what happened at the Toto gig?

oh wow an actual music thread

Dont see these here often

contribute something!
(it's odd how despite this being a music thread, only a few have posted here)

For me it all comes down by me putting music in the background if it is the first time I'm listening to an album. Reason for this is that I get a general mood on what the album is before I totally go indepth into the work itself.

I usually use both Speakers and Headphones when it is convenient for me to use. What I do recreational wise is usually editing pictures, videos, and documents. I usually put music that fits the mood. For example awhile ago I was listening to Autechre's Elseq 1-5 while working on document work. It was one of the few ways for me to listen to it, because it is a 4 hour work. I usually use Ambient/Drone music while I work.

Out of work I'm listening to whatever I feel like. I usually go to one album to the next if I finished one. If an artist starts to feel stale. I go to something else entirely.

I never go and make playlists unless I sleep and put a shuffle playlist for music I want while sleeping.

When I'm 100% paying attention to music It is usually when after my first listen through passively. And I decide to sit and listen to the whole thing intently until start to finish. I once did SWANS' trilogy in one sitting because of this. That's fucking 6 hours of pure amazement.

Also when I'm in Car or traveling I usually listen to anything as well. Depending if it is a (Insert Genre) day.

>Are you 100% focused on music or are you doing something else (hobbies, chores, internet, ...)?
Usually mostly paying attention to the album and occasionally checking up on stuff, sometimes posting on either Sup Forums or Sup Forums if a conversation strikes my interest. Also smoking weed
>What positions, locations?
In my bed, where I do most of my in-home recreation. I try to get as comfy as possible.
I used to ride the bus to work everyday and I would listen there too but I'm between jobs rn
>Headphones or speakers?/Does it depend on the type of music (if so, elaborate)?
I have a huge pair of DJ-tier full range speakers and I like to blast them whenever I can, usually past 11pm I switch to headphones though. And some music is more suited to headphones, particularly ambient strains of electronic music
>Do you listen to full albums in one take?
Almost always, I listen to albums almost exclusively.

I have a few habits:

>in bed, at bedtime, stoned, with headphones, in pitch-darkness, listening to the entire album and letting myself seize up, spasm, and twitch from it (post-punk, punk, metal, and indie rock)

>sitting down with headphones, rocking/thrashing around and swaying with eyes shut, occasionally waving my hands in front of my face so that I get a strobe effect for the colors and patterns (post-punk, punk, metal, and indie rock)

>upon waking up with my first cigarette of the day or during a wake-and-bake, in my windowsill, on my bed, on the balcony, or on one of the benches outside, and just letting the snow drift in/onto me as I shiver and listen to the music and the coyotes singing and watch the clouds coming over the mountains (anything contemplative that won't drown out nature's sounds)

>have specific tracks on CD's that I'll turn on as I enter the freeway while driving

>like Death Grips when I'm coked up or driving with friends on a bumpy road

>while showering (any songs I like and know the length of; use them to time myself)

I fucked up my habits when I was a kid.
> started *listening* to music (as in concentrating on the music not some other shit) as a 7-8 year old
> naturally, full ADHD mode, no way I could sit or lay down while doing it
> just put the cassette on and pace the room in circles while daydreaming
> 21 and still can only listen to music while walking/driving/cycling/etc

you are a class 1 faggot

You ever try listening to some ambient while dozing off?
Also that's unfortunate though I suppose that fact that you're active at all is probably good, I barely have the energy to do anything. I've been laying down listening to music that long, I'm an aspie and as an 8 year old shit like Pink Floyd and Gorillaz S/T blew my mind, I didn't care about sports or playing games and shit. I used to ride my bike and listen to my iPod Nano though...

I don't much like ambient actually. If I try listening to music while being static, I lose concentration and just start thinking about something unrelated with music as the irritating background noise.
It does have its benefits though. I gained weight due to thyroid problems about 3 years ago, a year after I got really deep into music and was able to lose every single gramm back without dieting or hormone therapy just by walking for hours on end.
My feet were bleeding and it would do absolutely nothing to stop me.
On the other hand, my family think I'm schizophrenic, what with pacing my room in the dark in the middle of the night

>What are your music listening habits like?
What I put on literally depends on my mood or who's in the room with me. I have mood swings out the ass so it can be pretty jumpy

>Are you 100% focused on music or are you doing something else (hobbies, chores, internet, ...)?
I'm usually doing other things that don't take up too much thought process(like posting here) but I enjoy music while i'm driving the most
>What positions, locations?
sitting at my computer chair or laying in bed before I go to sleep
>Does it depend on the type of music (if so, elaborate)?
Yeah if I'm listening to something like ambient or similar I tend to read or play games or something but with most other genres I pay way more attention
>Headphones or speakers?
speakers during the day, headphones before bed
>Do you listen to full albums in one take?
Always

pretty much this actually.

My favourite way is to sit down, put the record on, light a joint and sit back on my bed and relax.

I'll most likely be talking to someone online or scrolling through twitter or something, but I try to avoid doing anything else that takes too much concentration.

I always play full albums and much prefer having my speakers on. If I'm sat at my computer with headphones on, I'll end up getting too distracted (like right now, I'm trying to concentrate on Animal Collective.)

I listen to music while going on walks.

Except now I'm too obsessed with Pokemon GO.

My eardrums are slightly messed up cause I jam man. But I usually will play video games while listening to music, or I'll just lay down in the middle of the day and listen to it so I can give It my full attention if it's something I believe needs my full attention. Some music should be listened to while pre occupied, but other music shouldn't. Like Warraw by Natalie rose lebrecht to find the merit in it I just did nothing and listen to it and now I really enjoy it.

If i'm just chilling (on my computer) i'll throw on an album, and just listen to it. But I really only get 100% focused if I know i'm not gonna be doing anything. Just chilling with headphones/speakers and just listening is amazing, starting from beginning to end.