Name a genre, get reccs

ITT: name a genre you always wanted to get into, why it interests you and others will recc a few albums from that genre that you will enjoy. I'll start with grunge, I love Nirvana's albums but I don't really know where to go from their, I enjoy their harder tracks, with Dave's faster drum playing and Kurts wailing vocals. If anyone wants specific hip hop reccs hmu

Other urls found in this thread:

discogs.com/No-Artist-Symphonies-Of-The-Planets/release/631223
discogs.com/Dr-Jeffrey-D-Thompson-Space-Sounds-Music-NASA-Voyager-Space-Sounds/release/2846884
gidim.bandcamp.com/album/s-t-cs
blackmonolith.bandcamp.com/album/passenger
youtube.com/watch?v=w-EYa4SC-WM
youtube.com/watch?v=NKhE8YNU4cQ
youtube.com/watch?v=l-J0JrExgh8
youtube.com/watch?v=mJ9o6PPSL88
youtube.com/watch?v=6bLRsxgNK2A
m.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw7Y1tevtRc
youtube.com/watch?v=FL-ixFZwzQU
youtube.com/watch?v=HBcUg0-rVbE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Ethiopian Jazz. Only one I know is Mulatu Astatke.

space field recordings

i want new (2014-2016) rappers with strong technical prowess and inventive rhyme schemes that aren't cringeworthingly self-righteous like IT is, say nothing meaningful like aesop, or waste their abilities by using them to turn words into mush like eminem currently does

not sure if troll

discogs.com/No-Artist-Symphonies-Of-The-Planets/release/631223

discogs.com/Dr-Jeffrey-D-Thompson-Space-Sounds-Music-NASA-Voyager-Space-Sounds/release/2846884

Getatchew Kassa
Mahmoud Ahmed
Muluqèn Mèllèssè
Seyfu Yohannès
Tesfa Maryam Kidane
Tèshomé Meteku

Bedroom pop

Post-Rock instrumental. I like "Godspeed You! Black Emperor" but i dont know any other good groups.

Black Jesus Experience - Ethio-Jazz band from Australia was the only thing I was able to find, they feature Mulatu in some of their recordings.

Apart from that I've read an article once, about a Polish documentary on Ethiopian music called "Ethiopiques - the revolt of the soul", but the only video material I could find was a teaser on youtube.

I enjoyed Songs about fucking. What other post punk, post hardcore bands should I get into?

Explosions in the Sky
This Will Destroy You
Sigur Ros
Are things that come fof the top of the head
Do you have examples of what you don't like and maybe why you don't like them?
The genre is very fractured into specific approaches

Getatchew Mekuria
He also has an album with punk band the Ex if you like punk/noise rock.

Young Thug

Hardcore Somali Rap

Rapeman, Shellac, the Jesus Lizard, Scratch Acid, Butthole Surfers

Space Pop/Spacey Shoegaze

I dont listen to it for an uplifting feeling, so i dont like the happy atmospherics. I like the dark mysterious stuff that you can constantly phase in and out of, if that makes any sense.

Try:
The Jesus Lizard
Naked Raygun
Killing Joke
Rapeman (this has Albini as a member)
Shellac (also Albini)
mclusky
Swans
Lightning Bolt
Sonic Youth (pre-Goo albums)
No Age

Most of those fall into the noise-rock space that Big Black occupies moreso than just '''post-hardcore'', and post-punk is also a pretty broad subgenre as Joy Divison are post-punk but I wouldn't call them similar to Big Black

Spiritualized, Stereolab

New Wave
Already listened to some Elvis Costello, New Order and Devo.

No and I already know him

I would rule out Sigur and EITS then but leave TWDY as while they have a lighter tone than Godspeed, they wield it more crushingly

Do Make Say Think is one I'll throw in

Oh and Husker Du

Stoner Metal

I've been trying to find bands that have same type of non-stop hooks/general catchiness that Elder has in their sound, but the closest thing I've found is Horseburner's newest album

oingo boingo.. though they're a bit ska too
similar sillyness to devo if that makes sense

Krautrock I already know Faust Can Neu! And Amon Düül II
Pls rec

Any eastern European prog rock reccomendations? Double points for the band being outside of Poland.

Young Fathers

What bands have you tried? I've heard one of Elder's records but I'm unfortunately not familiar enough with them to give you specifically what you're asking for there

Anything like Nadja that isn't The Angelic Process or HANL?

the go-gos for dance-punk

talking heads

What is rocks music and how do I get into it?

hardcore dream pop

I feel like I've listened to a ton, it seems like a lot of stoner metal either falls too much into the sludge/doom area where it's nearly pure distortion or on the other hand go too much into the psychedelic rock area where it's not really heavy enough

I guess I'm just trying to find bands that strike a good balance

Find rocks
Hit them together

Stoner Metal

I want to change my opinion on hip hop/rap/whatever it's called these days.

I mostly listen to chillout, instrumental, and twee af indie.

So please find me kind rap

Kyuss? To me they don't fall to heavily into either category and have memorable hooks
The Sword leans a bit into doom early on but they do so in the Black Sabbath way and they eventually moved away from that sound anyways
High on Fire maybe
Clutch
Fu Manchu

the great trio: Sleep, Kyuss & Electric Wizard

Locrian maybe? Horseback?

Know them, wasn't overly impressed

Lil ugly mane third side of tape

I've been really into jazzy, comfy female singers as of late, especially Japanese stuff for some reason. I really enjoy stuff like Taeko Ohnuki and Akino Arai, I've also really gotten into Coeur de Pirate. Anyone got any stuff similar to that?

Nujabes for starters, chill tracks with some rappers here and there.

Hmm doesn't seem to quite what i'm looking for but I'll give Locrian a closer listen. what album would you rec?

listen to ching chong by kimono yoshi nagasaki

black metal and just plain jazz

I'm actually dissapointed that isn't a real thing. But seriously it really doesn't have to be Japanese, I just think Jap chicks have comfy voices.

Hmm, not sure if its what you're looking for but the new Royce da 5"9 albums really good. Obviously Kendrick, joey bada$$, Lupe fiasco, oddisee, billy woods and jerimiah j. Hope you like this, some might not tick both boxs

G-funk that's not the most famous ones, I've probably heard all those.

what do you mean..? any experience with either genre? There's tons of charts to go around in jazz threads and metal threads that you can start with if you really have nothing to go from

Happy shoegaze, album filled with Only Shallow and When You Sleep

Thank you but unfortunately I already know all of them
For further specification, Kendrick is what I'm most looking for among those you named (I think Royce is pretty similar but while I really respect what he does it just doesn't grab me in the same way)

This chart really helped me, hope it will for you too. Like it says make sure to pay attention to who plays what and when they play, and choose your favourite players and their best solo on the album. Basically just follow the chart. Also don't read Sup Forums or anything like that as you'll lose focus and it'll just brush past you.

Can't really help you their then bud sorry, I mainly listen to instrumental tapes for modern hip hop.

Artists that did that for me were tribe, listen to midnight marauders, the low end theory and peoples instinctive travels. Also check out de LA soul, cl smooth and Pete rock and souls of mischief

Yeah, anyone recc me some grunge? Similar situation to the op

Hardcore DIY Punk

good crust punk? new to the genre but i like how raw and hard it is but also beautiful with those cellos.

to add to this, j dilla. both very similar, both dope and both actually share a birthday.

symphonic post rock with dense instrumentation (like a "wall of sound" shoegaze style maybe?)

anyone got anything?

Isn't all music diy?

post-avant jazzcore

gidim.bandcamp.com/album/s-t-cs
blackmonolith.bandcamp.com/album/passenger
both great crust/blackened crust albums, though they lack the folk aspect of your example

I don't know the ones you talk about about, going to listen, but I just remembered about Mayumi Kojima, could fit your description.

youtube.com/watch?v=w-EYa4SC-WM

I only know one album tho, not sure how her discography is.

Not really a genre but I just want female-fronted bands with a crazy sound element, like Midori.

Chance the Rapper, anything that isn't colouring book.
Indie/psychedelic rock that isn't
>Tame impala
>Cage the elephant
>Portugal. The Man
>Night Moves
plz

Black moth super rainbow - eating us

Emo. Mainly because I really like American Football and Gray Matter.

Rec me some rap/hip hop/other modern nigger music. I've been a metal head all my life until I discovered Radiohead and later on Sup Forums. Now my favorite genres are black metal, art rock and shoegaze. The only rap album I've liked is The Money store but I don't think the other Death Grips albums sound the same (am I wrong?).

Action Bronson
Aesop rock
Chance the Rapper

Math rock like tricot,TTNG

I saved this chart some time ago. I don't know if it's any good.

This is the stuff I'm looking for, thanks mate.

Try Tricot and Mass of Fermenting Dregs

I'm looking for what I guess you'd call "Americana" piano. Not exactly pure Gershwin but I guess he'd be the father. Not jazz or pop or boogie woogie but all of it. Just American piano music.

youtube.com/watch?v=NKhE8YNU4cQ
youtube.com/watch?v=l-J0JrExgh8
youtube.com/watch?v=mJ9o6PPSL88

Synthpop, like New Order or Televisions

You seem to come from an aggressive, noisy music background and tend towards that sort of shit. So check out

Billy Woods- History Will Absolve Me
Techno Animal- Brotherhood of the Bomb
Ratking- So It Goes
Clipping.- CLPPNG

I want something like The Doors' The End or Riders On The Storm that's not King Crimson

Already know him

Have you heard Of Montreal? Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer? Is the greatest Synthpop album of all time. Also Depeche Mode's Violator if you've never heard them

gonna check em out, thanks

Techno

Dungen. Now I'm gonna be honest and say i've not listened to them, but they've apparently got good reviews.

youtube.com/watch?v=6bLRsxgNK2A

Have you heard Clipping.? Daveed's a monster on the mic

m.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw7Y1tevtRc

Dälek if you like "dark" rap.

Female synthpop that kinda sounds like Metric's latest album (maybe it's considered shitty but I like it, I don't know nothing about the genre tho)

If you like old school rap with actual lyrics you should check out underground rap.

Some names id recommend probably would be Apathy, R.A the Rugged Man, Vinnie Paz, Celph Titled, and Epidemic(Probably best lyrically right now and underrated as hell).

I already know them but thanks. Also know about 385 because someone's probably going to recommand it.
youtube.com/watch?v=FL-ixFZwzQU

just listen to some berghain klubnacht mixes on YouTube desu

Second this, was actually about to mention them on top of my other shit

Dirty Projectors, namely Bitte Orca.
Suzanne Sundfor

I didn't know about those so thanks mate!

I usually listen to rap(underground) but really want to get into something like Bottom-McCafferty.
youtube.com/watch?v=HBcUg0-rVbE
Thanks

Dälek
Lil Ugly Mane - Third Side of Tape
Bones - Useless
Death Grips - Bottomless Pit

Mathcore because Orange Mathematics is amazing and I don't know anything else

Psychedelic rock.
I've only listened to Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

The dillinger escape plan
Converge
Norma Jean

Yes
Already know RA, Apathy, Vinnie and Celph fall into the cringe-worthy element I didn't want.
I liked the momentum Epidemic carries in his flow on the two songs I listened to but he doesn't really excite me (and one of the songs was a kind of embarrassing stab at a radio hit)