Swans at Shank Hall Report

>Michael Gira did cut the air conditioning, but it came on an hour later.
>The show was completely full.
>Amnesia has been cut from the set.
>Bring the Sun has been entirely removed from the Glowing Man.
>Which was fucking lit btw.
>The World Looks Black was improvised into something completely new with completely different vocals.
>It was fantastic.

Who was there? Thoughts?

So it was most of The Glowing Man?
did he yell at anyone for headbanging?

setlist?

No, he looked menacingly at some people dancing and convulsing towards the end though.
No Words No Thoughts/ A new jam with new lyrics
Screenshot
Cloud of Forgetting
Cloud of Unknowing
Some Things We Do/"something new entirely"
The Glowing Man

Swans were phenomenal, opener was fantastic, and got a handshake from Gira who seems like one of the chillest dudes.

What did the new things sound like?

Swans are playing here (Minneapolis) tomorrow... tickets are $25, worth it?

I actually haven't heard The Glowing Man yet so any of that material would be new to me.

>They aren't coming to Florida.

Kms

The first thing was like an extended version of No Words, can't really tell you because I was still getting my bearings in the sea of noise.They started playing the World Looks Black in a way that was much more agressive than on record, and Gira started shouting gibberish.

I kinda regret not sticking around, but I wasn't going to wait fifteen minutes in order to waste someone's time by just being star struck in their presence.

Hell yeah

I figure this may be the last Swans tour for a while and I definitely wasn't going to miss the opportunity to tell him I appreciate all his work.
Definitely

How laud was it? Is it safe for tinnitus?

>michael gira will never look at you menacingly

super fucking loud. Took my earplugs out a couple times to really get a feel for it and god damn

guys please don't do this, you're putting your hearing at risk

I had them out for a minute or two each time

>They started playing the World Looks Black in a way that was much more agressive than on record, and Gira started shouting gibberish.
C-could this be a preview of the new type of music that Swans will produce?
Describe the new track better.

I don't think it says much, desu user. If you listen to The Gate, you'll find that all songs that ended up on The Glowing Man were played more aggressive and loud live.

I've read that this is actually worse than doing a full show without them, because that way your ears get to adapt. Putting earplugs in and out just fucks hard with your eardrums. Don't do it in future shows unless you wanna damage your hearing.

what constitutes headbanging? Nodding your head to the beat or the stereotypical metal head banging.

Seein em live in chicago saturday, does he sign merch? Dont wanna bring my 3 swans vinyls like an autist if they dont get signed

He doesn't go after headbangers anymore, only moshers and fimers nowadays.

fimers?

Yeah, picked up the deluxe CD of the glowing man and got it signed

I was there. It was great. I wouldn't say it was packed but there was a pretty good turnout for a Wednesday night.

Big thanks to the dudes telling the douches to shut up during Okkyung's set.

*filmers

Did Okkyung play with them on Cloud of Unknowing?

No, sadly.

She was watching the show and getting really into it, though.

he asks them to stop filming at the beginning of the show

feel u senpai. driving to ATL to catch em

It must suck to live in the USA. Huge distances everywhere. I live in Central-Europe and everything is so close to each other.

>Swans are in ATL in july
>and in Texas in september

>tfw I live in Texas and go to college in Atlanta
>tfw am in Texas when they're in Atlanta and in Atlanta when they're in Texas

That's some shit user

>no Finland date
t-they're n-not going to quit yet r-right?

Well... M-maybe you c-can find a way...

W-why a-are y-you t-talking l-like t-this ?

I'm upset they're not doing Bring the Sun anymore, that's one of my favorite parts of the album.
Still excited though. I'm surprised that completely new material had already developed.

trying to find a way to justify traveling 9 hours to Colorado and spending money on a hotel room, after being unemployed almost this entire year. i sustained a pretty serious injury that is still affecting me 3 months after it happened, could I use that as an excuse to go on a "life reaffirming journey".

because I'm really fucking scared that I will never see Swans play live
might actually ask them on FB if they're going to be doing any touring in the Nordics or Eastern Yurop

I saw them at St. Andrews Hall and was lucky enough to be at the very front directly in front of Michael Gira.

They didn't play Amnesia there either, which I thought was odd. I'm not sure why they're not playing it anymore. Overall, an amazing show.

When you have nothing to lose you have everything to win :^)

I can't advise this enough, WEAR EARPLUGS.

If you have tinnitus, wear very heavy duty ones. I had etymotic research ones in, and it still sounded super fucking loud.

Define headbanging. I was directly in front of him and bobbed my head to the beat of the music and he never gave me any dirty looks. Do you specifically mean like full-on metalhead headbanging?

Going to see them in Cleveland this monday, any advice (other than the obvious earplugs)

A lot of people at St. Andrews didn't immediately rush to the stage, so if you want to get to the very front you can easily as long as you're there when doors open. Not sure if your city will be the same though.

Also, Michael Gira is at the merch booth after the concert, so get your stuff as you leave.

same thing occured when i saw them a couple years ago, its like people were afraid to stand up front.

I'm not really sure why. As long as you don't do anything stupid I don't see why it's an issue. Christoph Hahn looked over at me a lot, but Michael Gira never really looked down at anyone in the very front.

I had a huge grin on my face through most of it just from being elated from being there.

>Christoph Hahn looked over at me a lot

he wanted to fug

yeah since nobody was filling the space, I got right under Michael, even snapped cell phones pics like a faggot, and he didn't care, Phil Puleo and me had a few strange sustained moments of eye contact that ended with both of us looking at the floor each time.

Yeah, I got my stuff before the show. Huge mistake.

Oh, I was the weird kid at the edge of the bar next to the merch table with the Chelsea Wolfe shirt on.

lol, the one in the other thread that was saying he was worried about how he was dressed?

Personally I always snag shirts before hand just to make sure they don't run out (toss it over the shoulder which is no big deal). Definitely grab any media later.

Yes, but the past is the past. I concur that that person was a little bitch.

I saw them in detroit. Bring the sun wasn't completely cut, they played the chords a couple times then moved right into The Glowing Man, which is incredible live
don't mosh, don't try to record on your phone

I definitely got a look from Hahn when Screen Shot started

How expensive is the merch at the shows?

did he rape anyone

Shirts were 20 bucks, cd's were 15, records were 25

Shirts were $20 and CDs were $10 last time I saw them, not sure about records. I'll probably get The Glowing Man and SFTB on CD and have Mr Swans sign them after I spaghetti in front of him.

I'm new to Gira.
Why does he not like headbanging or earplugs?

headbanging is too plebeian to be done at a swans concert
he's fine with earplugs

Shirts $20, Vinyl was around $30, CD's ranged from $15 to $20 depending if it was fancy deluxe stuff

I don't get it so how are you supposed to move when the heavier posts come in? What's "acceptable" to Gira?

do what the fuck you want

"Acceptable" would be anything that doesn't involve ramming into anybody or whipping your hair into people's mouths

That guy is right, there were a few guys completely going apeshit during the Glowing Man, and Gira was okay with it because they weren't hitting each other.

No violence, no filming, everything else is pretty much okay.

I honestly don't know how people were standing still during Glowing Man

doing the exact same thing with some buddies of mine

I guess this is a decent place to ask, getting into Swans, where's a good place to start?

Excellent, thanks friend

I personally started with To Be Kind like the plebian I am (I had listened to the Seer before that but I hated it, it wasn't until after I heard To Be Kind that I started getting into Swans) and I would honestly recommend you start with TBK as well; however there are going to be people who tell you to start with Filth. I personally dont think that Filth is a good place to start if you just want to enjoy Swans (if you want to see how they develop as a band and have plans on listening to their entire discography whether or not you enjoy every album then start with Filth but otherwise I would avoid it as a first album simply because none of their other albums are similar to it [aside from maybe Cop] and thus listening to it first might give you the wrong impression.)

>Screenshot
they still play screenshot? I definitely have to go now

huh, I was about to start with Filth since I'm into noise rock but I'll listen to TBK first if it gives a better impression of the music Gira plays.

How do they play No Words No Thoughts without Thor to do the bell part?

Swans didn't really click for me until I heard To Be Kind, so I'm in the same boat. The Great Annihilator was another one that helped Swans make sense for me, so I always recommend that people start with these two

tbqh just listen to their discography chronologically. every album they've made is good in some way. And then you get to see their progression

Don't forget side projects! Skin and The World of Skin if you like their post-punk stuff, Body Lovers/ Body Haters and Drainland fill out the Soundtracks For The Blind era nicely, and Angels of Light is what Gira was up to after Swans died

i don't know if they have actually played it on any of the tours yet. one reason why i very much want to go to a show on this and why i'm very saddened since i probably can't

If you look at setlist.fm they've played pretty much the same setlist every show, and Screenshot is one of those songs

Yeah I'm three songs into To Be Kind and I'm loving it, glad I started here
Gonna listen to Filth next then probably go chronologically

I'm gonna be at the atl show too.

See you'll guys there, I may drag along a couple friends who have never heard Swans or any non-pop music

Oh my god do that and tell us what it was like.

Lolol, I'm bring my friend who's favorite band is the 1975. Should be wild.

I will be at the Atlanta show too, will probably be wearing a Big|Brave shirt. Come say hi if you want, See you guys there

TOOOUUUSSAAAAAAAAINT L'OOOOUVERTUUUUUUUUUUUUUURE

Anyone going to the show in Richmond VA on the 27th? I'm on the fence and it'd be cool to meet up with some fellow Sup Forumstants since I'm currently friendless and pretty shy.

Going to the show in DC. Sorry mate. Also, I'm gonna be on acid by myself and stranger interaction would be strange.

Oh, dang, I didn't even know they were playing in DC. I'll just go to that one instead, since I live in Loudoun.

I'll stay clear of you, user.

I've been where you are user. After seeing them live three times, I'm sure that he doesn't care about bobbing heads, and even welcomes them. Doing that is natural when you genuinely enjoy the music, and there's no reason to hold it in. When you think about it, it's a natural thing to do, especially in a world that generally accepts it. Poser metal headthrashing, though, is another thing. I was at the Boston show a few weeks back and this one guy looked like a fat fish, standing in the front-center, waving his ass around like a black girl at some dingy club.

They might. They got 18 more months of touring left. Although when I saw them in Petersburg, they didn't seem to happy with the crowd. I'm really hoping they come to South Florida this time, if they do.

Do you think he'd sign my copy of The Consumer if I brought it?

anyone going to the portland show in september?

I'm sure he would, he signs everything him-related. I always figured that all of them came signed, since he seems to sign everything he makes.

I've never heard him talk about The Consumer much. I read somewhere that he disowned it a while back, but then again, he doesn't talk a lot about most of his work.

hes disowned a lot of shit but im sure it all has a place in his life and he'd be happy to sign it.
Don't be intimidated by him, he's super humble, and really appreciative of his fans.

>getting cucked this hard by education
Sorry senpai

He thinks headbanging is disrespctful because you're not fully paying attention to the performance.

He's the only one in the band not wearing plugs, so he's cool with them.