Someone explain why ya'll love this album so much

I seem to see more love for this album than Jenny Death here, and it seems one of the most popular DG albums. Why? It just seems to me like they're trying too hard to be weirder and edgier than before, but the music has so little momentum or power or nastiness or catchiness than any of their other albums. Am I not getting it, or do you all just act like this is their best because it's one of their least accessible or mainstream sounding?

"so little... than their other albums" well done me @ writing words

All instrumentation performed by Zach Hill.

It's a new level for drumming, modern masterpiece.

Also the opening verse of Black Quarterback is Ride at his finest imo.

UP MY SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES

It might not be as powerful as Jenny Death, but it has moments like MY TERRACOTTA ARMY on Up My Sleeves; it might not be as immediately catchy as The Money Store, but the hook on Billy Not Really is definitely catchy. It has the same ingredients that make up other Death Grips projects, but it also has production that I've never heard in another hip-hop album. Beats are sometimes constructed almost entirely of short vocal samples played at dizzying speeds. It's them taking the scattered production the started in TMS further than they do in any other album, while Ride sounds the most dynamic and varied he's ever been.

Basically, this

Just keep listening, OP. It'll grab you, and once it does, it'll never let go.

bjork

It has this otherworldly feel for me
Like it's aggressive but at the same time it plays like it's just business as usual, this casually fucked up sound that just keeps on going.

not even trying to overhype death grips or anything, but I don't think there is a single album in the history of music that sounds like this. If somebody could point me to something that does, that would be great.

Idk, but I can tell you I think NOTM is way better than Jenny Death.

In fact, JD is probably my least favorite release.

these 2bh

i cant link posts from reddit because it thinks its spam so i'm going to type out the title of the posts instead. these are the only two interesting and insightful write-ups for why NOTM (and GP) are special albums

>She's your experience; you're her experiment (rough essay on technology/information takeover in DG's music)

>NOTM as a daily reflection and why it's my favourite DG release by a mile.

take shrooms and listen to it it makes more musical sense then

Oh no you just had to fucking do it, the absolute fucking madman.

Well this was what we listened to during the jdw "era"
It's also the best full listen. Every track I can see every members presence and its just such a hard hitting album
Up my sleeves though.
"Used to know who I was fuck if I know who that was"

many do they just aren't played by drummers they are made by electronic nerds and thus not accessible song structures.

check the archive when it's up for DG gay cabal of hip hop conspiracy for better write ups

That's the cemetery we got led to one time too
Not me but another user in sacto

will do, can i get a tl'dr?

It just sounds fucking amazing man what is there to get?

Because is better than Jenny Death. Zach Hill druming is awesome and Andy Morin using Bjork as a sample is genius
Also: SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES

This album has serious presence. Go ahead, turn it on at that pleb party, watch as their tiny minds refuse the enormous excellence, its too fresh, they can't even comprehend.

Not catchy? Your brain just can't keep up. More hooks than a tackle box and rhythmically ambiguous at the same time. Try not to let the lyrics blow your mind, I knew a dude who killed himself while Up My Sleeves was playing on repeat through wmp.

They're miles ahead of plebeian comprehension, either get with it, get got quite frankly.

>Many do
>Doesn't provide any examples

agreed
honestly it just felt kind of watered down
or like they said, "yeah i guess it's time to make another one"

>doors and windows on
>montions on
>bep bep bep
SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES SLEEVES SLEEVES UP MY SLEEVES
That's why

Fuckin perfect opener

I kinda agree with op a little here. I don't hate the album, and I do like Up My Sleeves and Billy Not Really, but Zach Hill's ability, the weird structures, and Bjork can't help the fact that I find a lot of the tracks here unmemorable. Say Hey Kid and Voila doesn't leave an impact on me at all, Have A Sad Cum BB sound like a reworked GP outtake, and I find Fuck Me Out to actually be a little annoying.

if they trimmed fuck me out and have a sad cum a little bit I think it'd work better but as it stands I still love it

I still say Jenny Death would have been so much greater if it had been the actual end. But then they made BP and now both JD and it feel pointless

The the height of Ride's apathy which is paralleled through the dreamy instrumentals. Driven by Bjork's samples, NOTM drifts from one track to the next unobtrusively and delights when new rhythms and structures evolve from the murky background. Wonderful album both lyrically and instrumentally, and certainly the best Death Grips release.

MY TERRACOTTA ARMY