Implying we aren't living in the Golden Age of Hip Hop

>Implying we aren't living in the Golden Age of Hip Hop

Das rite, 90s hip hop was great but the variety of different sounds and styles, great MCs and producers we see in Hip Hop today tells me hip hop is better than ever.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nU4OIAYwo5g
youtube.com/watch?v=AE3yia1AJeQ
youtube.com/watch?v=a0Whf0_BrFY
youtube.com/watch?v=mj4UtyJGfZg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I agree.

someone doesn't know how golden ages work

Wrong this is the worst era for hip hop in years. Easily.

In what world was the early mid 00s not worse than what we have today? Hip hop was garbage for a good half a decade at least.

Mid 00's had Rhymesayers, Anticon, Def Jux, etc storming the underground scene.
Mainstream-wise it was pretty bland.

In recent years we've had lots of unique underground hip-hop artists as well as some unique mainstream ones.

gimme some albums that are similar to straight outta compton, early ice-t and such

i rarely listen to hip hop but i really like that (i don't mean that it has to be gangsta rap but just similar in style)

Kanye

mainstream 00's rap was ten times more important than the majority of shit from those musty basement labels

not what i really meant, but interesting sound, definitely will check out

2pac strickly for my niggaz, not joking it has the same vibes as that stuff

First of all, the early 00's were some of the best years for hip hop. The "real" golden age is 96-03. It's only after the late 90's wave of rappers became overly commercial and boring when mainstream hip hop turned to shit.

Mid 00's were kinda bad, but like says it was the golden age of the underground. Fucking DOOM and OX, Rhymesayers and Anticon, all that. Even mainstream rap had its saviors: early Kanye, Common, Lupe, Kweli, and such.

The real-real-bad period was the late 00's to early 10's - when many of the biggest artists nowadays has started to appear, but haven't really made anything worthwhile. With a few standout albums, and maybe shit like OF, 08-13 were a wasteland.

Right now I'd say an exceptional amount of significant hip hop albums are being released every year, both underground and in the mainstream, with a huge diversity of styles. I hope it will last at least until the end of this decade.

>golden age
>remove Kanye, Kendrick and maybe Lupe there is not a notable single act

The Game, Tyga, Rick Ross, 2Chainz (negotiable), Hopsin, Tech N9ne, SwizZz, Jarren Benton, Dj Hoppa, Logic, B.o.B

And no this is not bait, these artists are making leaps and bounds in both production and recording of Rap music, I believe we are in the Golden Era of Rap, the 80's and 90's is over, OP is right.

Also, Kendrick Lamar is my favorite

If anything at least post the current king of hip hop

holy shit

>The Game, Tyga, Rick Ross, 2Chainz (negotiable), Hopsin, Tech N9ne, SwizZz, Jarren Benton, Dj Hoppa, Logic, B.o.B

Lmao for real bruh. They are all ok at best, for like a party or something. If that's the best then rap is truly dead.

YG-Still Brazy

there are plenty of great rappers and you managed to name most of the worst ever

now this is pretty good. What are some other good hip hip releases this year? Haven't been following and I've been underwhelmed by a lot of albums.

I mean you can't really go wrong with the big releases (Kendrick Lamar-Untitled Unmastered and Kanye West-The Life of Pablo) but the most surprising project so far this year for me was Joey Purp-iiiDrops

I agree. This opinion is quite popular.

Dude, stop sucking 2Pac's dick, this is what rap is like now, its called change, you can't expect someone to put out the same music over and over and still have a solid fanbase, how fuckin' underground do people have to go to please people, it seems that even if the person is good, as soon as they become popular and go mainstream that their music is suddenly shite, I'm confused as to how you can hate these people, and I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and assume it's because you think that all they rap about is bitches and money? So what, NWA rapped about nothing but the gangster lifestyle but were they shit to you? Probably not, and when you tell me that my music taste is terrible which is what i'm going to assume is what you were implying, tell us what do you like to listen to? And don't even think about mentioning the Legends (Wu Tang, NWA, 2Pac, Biggie, Diddy, 50 Cent, etc...)

The Game, Rick Ross, Tech N9ne, Logic. Throw away the rest.

Even by rap standards this list is awfully embarrassing

Untitled unmastered is awesome but im not too keen on Kanye's new music, its undoubtable that his older music is good but I refuse to listen to his new music

Aesop Rock - The Impossible Kid
ScHoolboy Q - Blank Face LP
Blueprint - Vigilante Genesis

Also Danny Brown and Pusha T have albums coming out sometime this year.

no, throw these clowns away too

Yeah I'm a big Kanye fan so I enjoyed it but I can see why some wouldn't enjoy it. I would definitely recommend checking out Joey Purp's iiiDrops mixtape though as well as Chance the Rapper's Coloring Book "mixtape".

>refuse to listen to his new music
What about MBDTF or Yeezus? Arguably Yeezus was polarising but it still gets a lot of love.
I liked The Games latest documentary 2 and 2.5. Granted it had a shit load of features, but the end result for me was a pretty good album.

Throw away The Game? Why

I must be in a minority but Chance's Colouring Book did nothing for me. I felt like it was a step backwards from Acid Rap which is an amazing mixtape imo.

I'm surprised you kept Rick Ross on the list yet threw away the other "club rappers"? Tyga has made some amazing music IMO check out Hotel California or Careless World: Rise of the Last King. And 2Chainz's delivery is very interchangeable according to the context of the song, and even by raps standards he can actually sing without auto tune.

And for the rest of the list, Jarren, SwizZz, Hoppa, Dizzy Wright, The Game, Logic and B.o.B I have no explanation, they are just amazing in terms of their broad range of context in their songs

>Making an album when you only have one song
>one song thats popular because our lord Yeezy

The Game is great imo. Like I said to that user, I loved his documentary double album.
I only kept Rick Ross because generally he does great features on other rap artists songs. I don't listen to his solo stuff though.

Yeah I'm also confused, have you actually listened to The Game? If so, what makes him bad?

>Aesop Rock - The Impossible Kid
fucking amazing record. HHAOTY by a fucking mile - nothing has even come close.

its one of those albums where your still noticing things 30 listens in

Logic is so average though. He has an admittedly impeccable flow but he just has no substance to his music. It's so dead boring to me. Not to mention he bites so many other rappers sounds, and his "concepts" feel so forced that he has to explain the fuck out of them in his albums/tapes.
There's nothing wrong with The Game, who gives a fuck.
Same. I got it on vinyl for my 22nd birthday. It's fucking incredible. I can't believe how strong he's going 20 years into rapping.

Nigga 2pac is shit too. I don't like them because I see no musical or lyrical value in them. Plus there's a difference between NWA's self aware tounge in cheek critique of the hood lifestyle and fucking Rick Ross. Tyga is the equivalent of Justin Bieber to hip hop. You could have picked any one of the good artists from this generation like Kendrick, Ye, Chance, Earl, Travis Scott, Drake, Asap,

>50 cent
>legend

lol

>rapfags
kys

They're better dressed and in better shape than you will ever be.

Kys Sup Forumsfag

Whenever people call 2pac the best you know they're fucking entry level or JUST got into hip hop. He has a few good tracks but he's boring as fuck and his hype annoys the shit out of me.

I don't even listen to his music ever. Biggie was where it's at.

>ASAP

This song is so fucking amazing. I wish I knew more hip hop posse cuts.

youtube.com/watch?v=nU4OIAYwo5g

>Tyga
Discarded.

Try Kendrick, Kanye, Lupe, Danny Brown, Pusha T, Joey Bada$$, Vince Staples, RTJ, Earl Sweatshirt, Isaiah Rashad, Mick Jenkins etc. for at least an argument.

Biggie is entry level and average at best too.

Why the fuck did you put Drake in there?

>2pac only has a few good songs

Is this bait? I can't tell.

Me Against The World doesn't have a single bad track, and his first album is great too. He has some great singles, although All Eyez on Me is pretty hit or miss.

He might be entry level but he did know how to spit and how to tell a story. I'm just saying, he was leagues ahead of 2pac. I don't really listen to Biggie much either. In fact I almost don't listen to anything pre 00's hip hop, as bad as that might sound.

Probably only listened to his radio shit, never listened to his mixtapes and have no idea what you're talking about

Tyga is straight up commonly considered garbage rap. You're stanning him hard as fuck, it's hella weird.

and hating on him cause he fucks with the Jenners and Kardashains

2pac is like reading a good book.

He has always said that the beats are just a way of making it so people would listen to his poetry. I think because it's such a thick listening exsperience that people don't listen to 2pac as much as biggie. Takes multiple listening to really get it, rather than biggies "KICK IN DA DOOR WAVE THE 44"

Elite fucking taste user.
Stop stanning. Are you literally 16? You talk like you're a kid.

I love Aesop Rock's lyrical ability and flow a lot but I can't get past his voice, It prevents me from listening to a whole Aesop record cause it gets annoying after a while. I guess that's just a personal thing, and I definitely see why he gets praise. I did like Kirby though

Because he's good? His songs might be cheesy but they're well produced and have charm to them. None of his albums have been amazing but they're all pretty good. Views is shit though.

You probably do the same with whoever the fuck you listen to...

>He has always said that the beats are just a way of making it so people would listen to his poetry.
That implies that beats don't mean shit. They mean a lot.
I've heard that about his voice. Try get past it, I think it adds a unique flavour to his artistry.

Literally samefagging
>mfw

To 2pac the most important thing about his music was his message, and expressing the world around him.

Fuck cunt, just kill yourself. I listen to about 50+ different hip hop artists. Yeah I have favourites, but I don't sit around stanning them all and defending them on Sup Forums because someone doesn't like them.

Tyga is straight up trash.

Not really. Both 2pac and Biggie were good rappers but are most famous now because they "died". They were about equal in terms of skill.

>his message
He's not the first to spread a message or theme. Nor was he the last. He's not even the best at it either.
>expressing the world around him.
See above.

>this one faggot 16 year old stanning Tyga
Lmao this has to be a big practical joke.

he makes dope shit has a gold lambo and smashes on kylie jenner what's not to like

Nigga Tyga is straight up trash, even for party rap. He had maybe one or 2 ok verse but that's about it.

He makes trash hip hop. Whether he's rich or not makes no difference. Some of my favourite hip hop artists are underground and probably barely scraping by. I don't give a shit if they're rich or poor.

Well at least his taste is different. You won't find many people on Sup Forums admit they like Tyga.

Explain why you think Tyga is good though. I'm waiting to hear it.

No he ain't, user is right, you speak like you don't know shit about his music because you don't, you only hate him because of his image, he plays some club music but 95% of his albums is full of some real deep shit, get to know his music and you'll understand his message.

Image isn't everything, and needed criticism is not negativity. 10/10

he makes good hip hop and is rich because of it

>>Making an album when you only have one song
Wow gee I guess no one should ever make an album then.

This is getting embarrassing as fuck.

>different
In what way? Tyga is a joke. I'm quite convinced the person obsessed with him is legitimately a teenage kid.

I like Tyga because of his message in his songs, its not at the surface in the lyrics, but more like you need to know who he is, not just a rich rapper but how he got there and the struggle he had to face to make it, the combination of that and his lyrics kind of decipher the real meaning , behind his "club shit music".

I have a different taste and just because they play it in clubs does not mean it is mainstream shit.

Kek

Name one good tyga song

Aesop Rock is arguably one of the best hip hop artists to step foot in the genre but he's hardly a "rich" rapper.

>it's not at the surface in the lyrics
What's his message then if it's not mentioned in the lyrics?
>not just a rich rapper
You have already stated multiple times "he makes good music and is rich and drives a lambo, what's not to like".
You are straight up stupid.

Aesop rock is shit

"Careless World" is my favorite, but I also like "Do It All" and "Let It Show"

the lambo and rich dude wasn't me

>intricate cryptic lyrics
>unique production style
>8 arguably classic albums
>just released potential hip hop album of 2016
>40+ years old still going strong

Tyga is already irrelevant and he's not even 30 and hasn't even made a single album worthy of listening to.

>08-13 were a wasteland
no they weren't, scrolling through my foobar sorted by date there's all kinds of good shit in 2008 alone

I'm not against new Kanye music but TLOP felt really dry and unpolished to me honestly

I'm not him but Tyga and Aesop Rock are both shit

Killer Mikes "R.A.P. Music" for one.
Latest edited version is great. Really fixed shit for me and I'm a Kanye stan who was initially really fucking disappointed by TLOP.

Wait there is TWO stans defending Tyga? Oh boy.

How about grow up, not everyone likes the same music.

This is what everyone seems to think Tyga is all about
youtube.com/watch?v=AE3yia1AJeQ

have a (you) friend

Thug is the greatest rapper of our generation

also, anyone have the link for Savage Mode?

Yeah some people like trash (Tyga) and others higher quality music.

Finally

But this is the real him
youtube.com/watch?v=a0Whf0_BrFY

That's all subjective. But assuming you're the Aesop Rock guy, then I find him shit too along with Tyga.

The two can't even be compared. And even if you genuinely think Aesop is shit, he's still 100x less shit than Tyga.

How the fuck did that useless cunt get wale and nas on there.

Abort thread. Tyga is fucking trash and you're an idiot if you like him, go kill your self. You are everything wrong with the world, and if you don't agree with me you're too stupid to know how stupid you are. Bafoons.

best Tyga song. Go to ~4:22 and listen on

youtube.com/watch?v=mj4UtyJGfZg

Wale is shit too.

What a pretentious faggot.