][_, ([]) ][_,

posting my idm as first post

clyp.it/uf32m3iy

cool!

>no sticky

he didnt even put "production general"

truly a shit op

Learn what a sticky is newfriend.
I'm always glad to see new people here at Sup Forums. Enjoy your stay.

Sound design is pretty flat and dry, don't be afraid to make your IDM freakier, and when your programming those little IDM percussion freakouts try messing with stuff like pitch and velocity and a little less quantize to liven it up a bit

LOL

Fug I meant wiki kek

I didn't think anyone would take it seriously, desu. I only made it as a quick way to bump the /prod/. I don't even know what proper IDM actually is supposed to sound like. I might return to it though, now that you've told me what's there to do

>tfw I have a whole lot of old projects with nice ideas that I can flesh out and turn into pretty cool songs
>tfw my 'never look back' mentality forces me to start a whole new idea and project every time I open my DAW

A WIP that's been in the works since yesterday.
Is it ok? What can I do to improve it aside from mastering (haven't gotten around to it yet).
clyp.it/ho3quxl2

cool, i do the same. it's better this way

I'd up the tempo if it was me, but that's probably just personal taste. Kick could do with some boosting too. Whole track needs compressing, but you know that already and that's for mastering stage etc.

yo /prod/

>it's better this way
don't tell me that man, I decided today to go back to those projects and delete the shit ones and gather all the good ones into a folder that I will make into complete works... but I'm also getting this feeling that everyday I spend doing that is a day I could be working on something new, and potentially, amazing. is this autistic of me?

Hey

yes

But musically it's alright? Drums aren't too generic are they?

How do I get a drum sound like this
youtu.be/cjpVy-B1TnY?t=1294

a rough WIP from last night
clyp.it/0w20jgqb
needs a name

i agree with it's alright musically, but I'd say it needs a lead of some description. also a good snare would help

regular good hip hop drums samples, and good mixing
maybe some compression, idk, I'm not that good with compressors

What is the percussion at 3:32 when the song drops?
youtu.be/5ESO_jdIT9E?t=3m32s
ty

is there a wiki/guide for how to into prod for beginners

Distortion and compression
>find sample
>get waveshaper or distortion module
>make dat shit loud
>use compression to level out the drums so they don't sound like farts when all the samples play with each other

Can I get a critique doe
clyp.it/1hg0owqm

got u famalam

1. buy or pirate a DAW
2. find some sounds
3. start making music
4. realize how bad you are
5. cry and consider suicide
6. clean up your tears and go back to making music

if you want to get real serious, get yourself a MIDI controller

there you go lad, good luck

what daw software do people generally use

>clyp.it/0w20jgqb
>samples are okay
>drum cadence get stale as soon as it starts
>stiffen up that kick
>use snappier snare, layer it with a clap or something
>bring out that shaker a bit more

Use the latest Fruity loops studio. Abelton has a way to blandand drab UI to get the grooves out

If you wanna get really serious learn something like Ableton or I guess ProTools, also helps if you know the basics of music theory.
Else, if you are still learning theory and want an easier route, FL Studio is good. I still use it despite 3 years of /prod/'ing, then again I am not making money yet and I still suck balls, so take that the way you want.

use whatever the most popular ones there are to start, that way you can get into it faster, because there are more resources online to help you navigate them, then look around at other smaller programs if you want, either way it's not a big deal, there is no objective best (FL Studio comes pretty damn close though)

Also, what would you like to make, if it will be predominantly synths I would steer away from FL Studio unless you want to do a shit ton of sampling, I rarely use samples, and usually have 14+ synths in a song, so it gets a little cpu intensive and lags the program, audio gets a little choppy while playing in the DAW, but exported it sounds like it should. A question to anons that don't use FL, are there programs for what I do? I honestly wish I did more research before buying FL.

Here's the handy guide, choose the one that most applies to you

>if it will be predominantly synths I would steer away from FL Studio unless you want to do a shit ton of sampling, I rarely use samples, and usually have 14+ synths in a song, so it gets a little cpu intensive and lags the program, audio gets a little choppy while playing in the DAW, but exported it sounds like it should.

I'm pretty sure that's more of an issue with your computer and not FL

Think I'm just about done with this musically, what do you think of the mix/structure? Or just general thoughts

clyp.it/uncgj0o3

>clyp.it/uncgj0o3

The synth that comes in at 12 seconds sounds out of tune with the rest of the song. Sounds flat to me.

My CPU tops at 50% when running one of the intensive songs, it seems that FL is only getting overloaded. idk, might just be what you said.

Sounds like FL is only using one core.
You on a dual core machine by any chance?

are you using asio4all as the audio driver?

Should be an octo-core system
I do believe I have it going straight to my audio interface.

switching to asio4all definitely sped it up, still chops a bit at times though
Sorry for not having my info rihgt, thanks anons.

increase the buffer size gradually until it doesn't, lower it back down when you need to record something

I have no idea what happened to me yesterday but this is by miles better mixing than any of my previous works. Melody is just an improv, I was mainly focused on drums.

clyp.it/ymlduyb1

How can I still make it better? Prod became so comfy now, I can't even describe it.

>clyp.it/ymlduyb1
Needs vocaloid.

bass is muddy af breh

Is it better now? As I said before, I'm actually pretty bad at hearing this, but I think my ears are improving.

clyp.it/bwabsktq

Are you implying that it sounds like it is from a Japanese cartoon? I really wonder how do I even acomplish that sound so often. I mean, the melody is from Selena Gomez, but I added the funky synth on top of it for the lulz.

a lot better

Cool, yeah, I fixed some smaller stuff and completely removed one sub bass, I guess it was too much.

I am just wondering, does this previous version from today sound better in some terms?

clyp.it/uzj2yj3j

I like the hihats more, I have to figure out how to bring them back now, because I have added a lot more sounds.

But all in all, I'd appreciate the feedback if there is something more to do with this or not. I mean, I've started with this, yesterday:

clyp.it/dsaka4x3

Even if it is still bad, I can see how much I improved, and I want to continue doing it.

After this I'll have to practice with synths and basses.

the original is a little more interesting, and the second is more energetic. i don't really have a preference for one in particular though

ctrl + n is your friend - it saves whatever you're working on as a new version, so that if you ever want to go back to an older version of whatever you are working on, the old project file is still there.

in this particular case, since you probably can't undo all the way back to when you changed the hihat pattern, you're out of luck, gonna have to put it in manually

I actually have a few versions saved, I do it often, so everything is probably fine.

But it wouldn't matter that much anyways, since I did this just for a practice, I never spent so much time mixing drums and wanted to see what I can accomplish.

i know music theory, which is best if i want to learn how to like mix things together more than like just making electronic stuff or do the two go hand in hand because you have to make your own electronic shit to mix together

waddup niggas, rate my mixing
>clyp.it/m4qrcw32

I liked it.

Thanks for the feedback, I honestly have no idea how to fix this tho, I didn't notice a problem before but I've been messing around with my synth for a while now trying to find a note that sounds better but nothing seems to sound any better or worse to me. Is my ear just untrained or is this just a matter of preference?

>I've been messing around with my synth for a while now trying to find a note that sounds better but nothing seems to sound any better or worse to me. Is
It's not the note, it's out by a microtonal amount (say you play one key and then the key next to it, somewhere in the middle is where that synth is tuned).
Find the offending synth and look for something labelled "fine" or fine tune, or something like that. It will want swinging to the right a little as it sounds flat to me.
If you get stuck, take screenshot of synth and post here for us to have a look.

Ahh I see, yeah im dumb. Thank You for the info, I'm gonna redo that part.

One more thing, most of the sounds in the song were the same synth. Do you think the poor tuning is effecting anything else?

>One more thing, most of the sounds in the song were the same synth. Do you think the poor tuning is effecting anything else?
Is this a midi line recorded and playing the synth or did you record it as a wav?
If it's a wav it's maybe simpler to re-record it, but there are plenty of plugins which will shift the pitch for you.

for the intro part, for example, I recorded 15 or so notes from the synth into an audio track, then chopped the notes separately into a midi instrument if that makes sense.

In that case repitch the synth to be in tune with the rest of the track, record those samples again and copy them over the old ones and all should be well.

Hey, awkward bullshit guy, I've been checking your stuff and am pretty impressed.

Okay that's easy, thank you so much for the feedback and the help

Welcome dude, happy music making.

I'm drun as fuggg buttak that In consideration I would really use some comoini onso on this track pleasy guys at leat one plzzzz god damn I figurs ou hiwb to up hopt tamn is oplodin so hard 4give me plz I need I leas 1 upgroaade pl plz
4 REAL PLEASE HELP ME SHOULD I GO TO UNIVERSITY OF HORTICULTURE IN ROMANIA OR TAKE ALL MY MONEY AND GO TO USA IN HOPE OF A BETTER LIFE MAYBE IN MUSIC INDUSTRY OR WHATEVER PLEASE HELP ME WITH A SERIOUS ANSWER. IF I GO TO RO SHOULD I USE MY MONEY ON LAPTOP AND MONITORS TO MAKE MUSIC?

THIS IS MY MUSIC FINALLY UPLOADES MUSIC UPLODED 2 DAY oi CAN DO BETTER BUT iI DRUNK RIGHT NOW
clyp.it/ryazr3f0

4 REAL MOW PLEAS SOMEBODY TELL ME SOMETHING PLZZ

don't put everything into the music industry, unless you just really want to be homeless, because chances are, you won't be super successful. go to uni, do music as a hobby

it's alright

but op, real producers don't use those DAWs either.

TH XAN

How do I distort in Audicity

i really dig skrillex's older stuff, but not sure what exactly he's doing. What settings do you modulate to get sounds like this? at 3:02

youtube.com/watch?v=vXhmyyXFd5I

is that just EQ modulation over a distorted synth?

hello is proffesional music producer
ask any questions you has within the next 2 minutes

basically

Is compression a meme?

it is
put memes on all your tracks

also this set up is very important to have on everything to ensure best.

hi guys

i'm trying to really study structure and melodic progressions within songs

like, i can make a cool intro/build up but then i'm lost when it comes to chorus and creating a basis for the entire song. i want to have my entire song catchy and great, but rn i only really have a few cool sections. or maybe i'll make the first 30 seconds of a song and then i'll be lost and not really know where my song is supposed to go.

Could anyone give me some advice on song writing?

I feel terrible because my sound design/mixing game is actually where i want it to be, but the composition aspect is a bit tricky for me.

practice makes perfect

start with the chorus first, then build around it

4 real how do I make kicks and 808's clearer in ff studio

How much do you know, theory-wise?

sidechain,
have the kick be comparatively louder than other things
high pass everything that isn't bass

make sure nothing is taking away their low frequency.
ALSO MAKE SURE TO TURN OFF FRUITY LIMITER WHILE PRODUCING LOL

I am 22 and I haven't laughed at an image macro so hard in about 4 years. Ty OP.

learn 2 eq...

not just ur kick n 808 tho...

eq ur synth / drum / sample tracks too..

make sure nothing interferes with that bassy low end!!!

u gotta sacrifice... same ur mid and high end

experiment. maybe if you put that synth that is in the Mid into the High end , u'd be able to hear more detail and open things up more???

really mixing is so cool to me bc there are so many variables and it really makes ur track One Of A Kind

have fun

>Abelton has a way to blandand drab UI to get the grooves

not much but i have been producing for years and i listen to music from a very analytical perspective.

fl studio is what real producers use
abelton is what people who saw deadmau5 and skrillex use it in 2011 and thought it must be the best use.

where can i find a 32bit ableton torrent

why turn off Limiter? just want to know the reasoning

some people are truly retarded faggots

what i dont like about ableton is the panning law and max4live is unreliable

YEAH BUT HOW SHOULD i BE HANDLING CLIPPING AND sHIT LOL
4 real tough

really 4 real

maybe ahoul I buy monitors nd audio interface 4 rel ,,,, it's a lot of money 4 me by I REALLY LIKE THIS PLEASE GYS i KNOW YOU 4 REL PLESE B SERIOUS SHOUL i?

wtf I'm still srunk but I'm really apreciating ypur help thanks all of you

because you're not hearing what it actually sounds like and it should sound good and not peak BEFORE you put on a limiter.

>it's a meme that beginners who can't mix/master correctly use

>how should I be handling clipping?
turn it down duh

i use cubase pro 8.5 and its my favorite i use ableton 9 suite too but less often

thanks guys I will try out your advice, also do other music software put default user limiter or only fl? should I use sichidesaining, someone has experience on fl?

>turn it down duh
like how I make my tracks sond kie dilla or madlib with track got damn banging, should I leave the mater clean pr what?

To my Romani bro;
Move to the US
Learn a trade
????
Profit!

then start studying some theory bro. You won't believe how much it will open doors for you. Start with some basic stuff on youtube (there's crazy amounts of theory lessons)

>Learn a trade
like washing dead people or whatever kek does that rally work?

like what work

i can't speak for any other DAW
for most styles of music you should sidechain almost always, but not always the same way

HVAC or Plumbing
Seriously, there's a lot of money to be made.