Prog hate thread

The only genre worse than metal. If you like melodramatic, cheesy, whiny garbage with two bit baroque instrumentation you need to go back to r eddit.

Every progressive rock fan I've met was a fedora donning neckbeard. I've never met a Rush or Yes listener that looks like a regular human being.

Post Barrett Floyd is literal middle school core and Animals is the single cringiest piece of lyricism I've ever heard.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lr7L8pd-m9g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

t. Christgau

I agree

Dead serious metal and prog are trash for those with limited capacity for musical knowledge to self-wank over

Ehhh, as far as prog metal goes its more or less garbage.

The mainstream prog rock bands are pretty lame too. Pink Floyd, Rush et al. There are some good ones out there though, a la Camel.

The only good prog and metal bands are Zappa and Primus, and, evidently, they're self aware and constantly mock those genres. Zappa particularly deconstructs the whole prog rock opera shit on Billy the Mountain.

Most prog is shit desu
Math rock community is full of nu-males
All punk is shit tho

I like Can

Don't be so quick to dismiss an entire genre.

>getting this mad

ill be the roundabout of ur ass

>disliking both prog and metal
Unless you're an exclusively classical and jazz listener you're an irremediable plebeian user

ITT: Plebs who think the fan base represents then music

No I'm talking about the actual music and its shit wankery

don't bother it's a bait

ah ok, im out

(You)

Pink Floyd are still pretty cool though

>even in the year of our LORD 2016 elderly metal musicians are more patrician than literally who bedroom wankers, wanna-be gangstas, indie scene "i have a ph.D. in jazz" shitters and meme-tier spintable fags

youtube.com/watch?v=lr7L8pd-m9g

This
One band I hate is Soft Machine. Third is the shittiest attempt at jazz I've ever heard, and Robert Wyatt's Rock Bottom is a fucking cure for insomnia
Most prog-jazz-fusion is just really shitty jazz that's praised because it's classified as rock

Progressive rock doesn't even make any sense. Why did anyone think that there needed to be a watered down version of classical and jazz when rock has always been about fun, energy, and catchy songs? Why not just listen to classical or jazz?
Also the Sex Pistols are GOAT

>Most prog-jazz-fusion is just really shitty jazz that's praised because it's classified as rock

I've actually always thought the exact opposite. Prog is praised since it's somehow considered a more "artsy" version of rock because of it's influence by jazz

It's ironic because Johnny Rotten was a Van Der Graaf Generator fan and Public Image Ltd is like a punky version of prog

>Why not just listen to classical or jazz?
introduction of other arrangements into the rock vocabulary in more interesting ways

I always preferred slightly more popular prog anyway (not AOR) like Genesis (up till hackett left), Floyd, Yes, VDGG etc, basically just drawn out pop songs with extended instrumental passages and weird shit but still sonically tight as hell and solid in terms of arrangement

Mama Mia! Avant-prog sure is a shitty genre, eh, Luigi!
Of a-course Mario! What the spaghetti is a zeuhl anyway?

oh it's this meme again
Do one about metal

I like Pink Floyd because it's simultaneously soothing and pleasant as well as complex enough to keep my interest. I especially like really dreamy tracks like "Set the Controls..", "Careful with that Axe..", "Remember a Day", "Fearless", and "A Pillow of Winds" (the last one reminds me a lot of Popol Vuh). Haven't found much other prog that scratches the same itch, it's generally a cheese fest or too cock-rocky.

I honestly don't think people that hate Pink Floyd realise that they were never meant to be musically complex and they never were. They just churned out really cool conceptual albums with sonic pleasantries, kind of like a more accessible, but much more individual (not many bands can imitate their sound) take on psych rock but more emphasis on production and agreeable songwriting.

Mama Mia! Metal sure is our favourite genre!

>It isn't my thing therefore everyone who likes it is wrong

>ITT morons who think every prog. band is Dream Theater

>I've never met a Rush or Yes listener that looks like a regular human being.
Wow. Why is this so accurate?

>can't appreciate the polyphony of metal/prog/classical/jazz
>"Y-you guys are just nerds!"

Prog can encompass a very wide range of styles and sounds. Pic related is a very cool prog/speed/power album that is very different from Dream Theater, Rush, etc.

>he doesn't realize that yes/rush/floyd/king crimson
aren't that far off. it's really melodramatic, it's the fantasy of music. whilst I couldn't say that any of those bands are bad, they're certainly lame. I can't help but cringe when I listen to those bands. prog is the fedora of respectable music.

You are just a faggot

All prog is shit, and metal is just as bad

great thread

Third is a jazz album?

this

>tripfag

Filtered

>Robert Wyatt's Rock Bottom is a fucking cure for insomnia
now hold on

:D

Reminder that Dream Theater is far from the greatest, but if you really, really hate them you are pleb as FUCK and trying (and failing miserably) to be contrarian.

heh

99% of the music from every genre sucks, whats your point?

this is what retarded image-conscious punk fogeys like steve albini actually believe. truly the most terrible people and the hipsters of their day

Pic related is probably you

I don't really like Led Zeppelin that much, but you know what I mean.

lol whats goin on in this thread

He was also a Beefheart fan and Malcolm McLaren would hassle him about it even though Beefheart was more punk than most of the bands in that UK scene.

Probably Grimes fans invading it.

I don't like solos that last longer than 30 seconds or so.
It's rare that I can take a full instrumental song, and in the case I actually find one, never will I listen to it outside of the context of listening to the whole album.

Fight me, for I am King Pleb.

>I've never met a Rush or Yes listener that looks like a regular human being
Rush, I'll make an exception for. When I think stereotypical prog rock, I don't think Rush.
Rush seem more to me like a standard 'rawk band' that just had specific interests they wanted to write about and didn't want to play the same five minute songs forever.

I like Can tho

okay.

>What is Mr. Bungle

If you don't go looking for good things you won't ever find it.