twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>that's Anna Maria
>that 3/10 is the whore that Vivaldi wrote so many concertos for
>mfw
youtu.be/59EDnhuBEpk

Meme classical
Fucking newfags I swear to god edition.

youtu.be/_CTYymbbEL4

who is the best composer of the 21st century so far?

Tipper

What's your favorite shitpost? Mine is "religious music has more value".

Someone post the Bach professor copypasta

>romantic music is good
>impressionism wasn't a mistake
>musical sensibility is more important than the ability to make harmonic structures
>literally anything Poly posts

This post is my favorite shitpost

Any love for Francis Poulenc on Sup Forums?

Yes, I love all the French composers starting from Chabrier to Murail

French Keyboard>German Keyboard

>Bach is Good

What do I need to learn to better appreciate classical music? What's the theory behind it?

Dude idk lmao its not like you can Google it or anything

Listen to something with a visual. You might be able to understand it a bit better if you can see it.

youtube.com/watch?v=-GUFv-BIK-A

*tips*

youtube.com/watch?v=qR44i-jc50M

help

that 4th movement is so glorious

recommend me more symphonies that escalate into pure bliss pls and thank you

god damn it

all i wanna do is fly fly fly

Mahler 1, 2, 3, 8
The 2nd is the one you really want but the 3rd is underrated imo

yeah, mahler's das lied is amazing and probably my favorite orchestral work by anyone
i think it's high time for me to really start tackling his numbered symphonies tho
anyone/thing else you recommend?

Saint-Saens Organ Symphony

thanks homie

Lera Auerbach is pretty good. Also John Psathas, John Adams, Arvo Part, Rautavaara, Lachenmann, and Muhammed Fairouz.

Poulenc is based af

Anton Reicha was a contemporary of Beethoven, and has some strange ideas about counterpoint and polyphony. I haven't gotten into his numerous fugues yet (I am more of a symphonies person), but his symphonies are pretty good too. He didn't write many, and he is not very famous. Probably in academia he has more recognition (I recall a friend of a friend who is studying music in university posted about Reicha on Facebook once), but I wouldn't know since I am a hermit and haven't stepped in an educational institution in over a year.

youtube.com/watch?v=PcqZT7hjxMk
youtube.com/watch?v=csJ7WPEJ10Q

I haven't listened to them in almost a year but I recall I really enjoyed the ones in minor keys. I didn't listen to them many times either but I think there are better quality recordings on Spotify.

You can learn some basic music theory. Knowing how to play an instrument is optional but it helps to make the connection between abstract concepts (like what is a "dominant seventh chord") and the actual psychoacoustic properties of them (how this type of chord sounds when you repeat it by the end of a piece, like Bach did at times)
youtube.com/watch?v=PXMVkQ70I88
This piece repeats that chord by the end (in the picture, labelled G7). That's why it sounds "like that:" it feels like it's pulling towards something and that if you were to end the piece with that chord, it'd feel incomplete.

Learning about chords, and seeing and hearing how they are used in pieces, will help you better appreciate music. You don't need to copy entire scores by hand to appreciate the written music, but reading scores or at least analyses of pieces you like can be enlightening.

Reicha's fugues are pretty cool. Interesting to listen to and more interesting to see on paper.

Thank you user, are there any resources for music theory you would personally reccomend?

check out /comp/'s OP

rec classical guitar performances

bach

Sanz by Hopkinson Smith

who are the essential romantic and impressionist composers?

>inb4 romantics and impressionist suck meme

Romantics and impressionist suck meme

bach

tfw you weren't born in the 1790's

tfw you aren't born in the 1590's

tfw wasnt born in the 1900s
tfw never will hear my favorite singers in person

Schumann, Brahms, Wagner for Romanticism
Debussy and Ravel for Impressionism

bach

bach

bach

bach

Are Takacs Quartet performances of Beethoven string quartets good or did I waste several gigabytes of bandwidth?

>impressionism
>essential

take yer pick

They're fine but I'd recommend the Vegh Quartett 70's recording

>implying Ravel isn't essential

>implying ravel isnt shit compared to bach
smdh

essential to what? Vidya Gaem Composeurs?

>Ravel being more essential than Debussy

Of course

>debussy
>at all

Suddenly an alarm sounded in CLT's mother's basement. He inhaled sharply as he was shocked to consciousness. His face intermittently illuminated by the pulsing red light of the Debussy alarm, he sprung from the greasy bed, stumbling towards his computer across a floor littered with all manner of filth.
>"S-somebody's enjoying Debussy"
he muttered to himself.
>"Come on. COME ON!"
he raged at the computer.
>"By Reich, I've got to get to Sup Forums! They're enjoying what I don't like! FROGS! Just like the frog who stole away my beloved Ame!"
The screen filled with light, the browser already opened to Sup Forums...to /classical/.
>"My board!" He stammered. "MINE!"
Pecking madly at his keyboard he unfurled his finest stock insults.
>Plebussy!
>Twitards!
Debussy, that monster, he had criticized Schubert. CLT's face contorted as he tried to stem the hot tears that threatened to stream from his eyes.
>"FUCKING PLEBS!
he bellowed as he smashed his fist upon the desk, sending Mountain Dew bottles toppling to the floor. A knock came upon the ceiling. He'd been a bad boy, but they didn't understand. He'd called them Twitards, but they'd exposed his dear, beloved Schubert's appearance in a Twilight movie.
>"B-bastards..."
he sputtered impotently.
He'd tried to tell them about the regeneracy of Reich, and the importance of Reich's opinions, but they'd spoiled it again, and with Reich's own words! Everywhere it was Debussy this and Debussy that! Why did Reich not want to listen to Schubert? Why not Mozart! Somehow PLEBUSSY was the thing that made Reich care. His hurtful words, framing Debussy as a force for regeneracy. Why? Why would he do that?!
As he pecked madly away, he told himself that they must never let them see him weaken. They must never see him crack. He alone was the patrician. He alone.

He collapsed back into bed, and his chest heaved as he softly sobbed. They would never understand.
>"I'm the patrician."
he whispered bitterly.
>"Me."

Still makes me laugh

The worst thing about the tripfags being gone is that we cant make fun of them anymore

>ravel OR debussy being more essential than bach

>debussy fags will defend this

youtube.com/watch?v=dZ8qhfS5o10

Impressionism: Debussy, Ravel, Decaux, Schmitt (mirages), Emmanuel's sonatines, baines, Griffes (tone pictures), Frank Bridge, John Ireland, Cyril Scott

These are literally all shit compared to Bach. Don't even waste your time with gay frilly impressionism.

Mysticism masterrace: Scriabin, Roslavets, Sabaneyev

Holy fuck, that MovieDoctorful guy

What's his best opera?

What the hell is wrong with that?!

more like formalism masterrace with sprinklings of "hurr im so edgy and cool xd please notice me"

When I look through this thread and see people bash Bach, I laugh. I honestly do. I laugh because these dim-witted imbeciles will never be able to appreciate the works of the great master himself. They will never have to pleasure of listening to Toccata and Fugue and feeling the intense aural euphoria from the most perfect music God could ever imagine.
Most of you don’t even know anything about music either. I have a masters in Music History and Composition from the Berklee School of Music and I honestly couldn’t give two shits about your measly, uninformed opinions about classical music. Tell me, does your favourite artist have lush 4-layer counterpoint? Does he have crazy applied chords and wild key changes? Does he have extreme virtuosic passages only the greats can play? If you answered yes to any of these you are an uneducated cretin and should kill yourself immediately. You will never have the brain capacity to comprehend Bach's perfect, intricate, lush, and flawless music. Bach NEVER wrote a bad piece in his entire life. He NEVER had a wrong note, nor any unintentional blemish on any of his manuscripts. He is the most sublime composer to ever grace the planet, to think otherwise is ludicrous. You know NOTHING about music and you have the audacity to say “Bach never wrote an Opera, therefore he will never be the greatest?” PLEASE, you know nothing.

St. Matthew passion

>has people singing conversations

That's opera as far as I am concerned

youtube.com/watch?v=HHP9Az5V8Vw
youtube.com/watch?v=6osJBtQRjoY
youtube.com/watch?v=tOjQ4j9bLvg
best

Don't you fuckers get it?

The entire genre of classical is fedoracore,

ALL CLASSICAL IS FEDORACORE, as it's objectively pseudo-intellectual music.

It's our white-pride nations that has tried to make us believe classical is an "essential" genre and that if you don't like it you must be close minded. That's why this music has no staying power. All of classical is just a sub-genre of folk/traditional songs, with a "intellectual" paint job.

This music doesn't stand the test of time, it's a fad. That's why composers are discussed about like fashion. Image/era/popularity are actually considered when talking about them.

Classical is just a really cheap/lazy form of music anyways. The majority of classical movements are just stealing (MUHH "INFLUENCE") another artist's music, dragging it over an hour in length while some conductor faps over it. The "technical aspects" of composing are not hard at all. That's why there's 14 year old asian girls on YouTube uploading themselves playing with ease and speed, performing like it's nothing. But because they don't fit the image of a composer, no one would take seriously. I've listened to it all from baroque shit (Vivaldi, Bach) to the "Classical" era to romantic, to "modern" (Stravinsky), etc.

All classical is fedoracore. Classical is not quality music. It's more of a guilty pleasure, like fast food. I guess it can taste good for a little while, until you realize how cheap and unhealthy it really is.

genius.

gave me goosebumps

dont @ me again unless its about bach or his sons

>the list goes on

It sounds like a rockist who doesn't give a shit about theory or properly developing things wanking around on a piano.

A stodgy autismal over-conservative music professor and fugue-fetishist was teaching a class on Johann Sebastian Bach, known lardass.

”Before the class begins, you must get on your knees and worship the Baroque era and accept that it was the most productive period in the history of Western art music, even more than Viennese Classicism!”

At this moment a brave, impeccably dressed, inebriated contemporary composer who had just snorted a line of coke off a teenage classmate's back and understood the folly of a(r/u)tistic movements such as serialism and fully supported the preservation and continuation of the true old masters' legacies stood and held up a composition notebook.

”Professor, do you recognize this piece?”

The arrogant professor smirked quite Lutheranly as he leafed through the notebook. "Why, there's nothing in here but blank manuscript paper, you stupid pedophile. Is it 4'33"?"

"No. It's an opera. If J.S. Bach, as you say, is categorically the greatest composer of all time... then he should have written one, and it should be in this book."
The professor was visibly shaken, and dropped his chalk and 80-disc Glenn Gould boxed set. He stormed out of the room crying those Bach fanboy crocodile tears. The same tears all autismal fanboys cry when someone else's favorite composer is different from theirs. There is no doubt at all that our professor, an anonymous craven coward who balked at accepting responsibility for his Sup Forums posts by using a tripcode on Sup Forums, wished he had taken the time to appreciate music beneath its surface aesthetics and understand the incalculable grace and poise of the great Classical masterpieces and deep intellectual current which runs beneath their simple veneer. In the final moments before his suicide, he wished so much for a requiem mass to be sung at his funeral, but alas! The lazy Bach had neglected to write any of those, either!

Popcorn! Popcorn! Who wants to enjoy the battle of retarded pastas without popcorn?! Popcorn!

Fuck off. You may think my post was pasta but I actually spent the time to write that out because I'm tired of these plebussy and shitpin fans shitting on the greatest composer alive.

It's pasta now, so fuck off.

You fuck off plebussy fan. This thread is for intellectuals

youtube.com/watch?v=2zrbaEHomag
youtube.com/watch?v=gXakJyXzhnQ
youtube.com/watch?v=IDGbMa5ap6s
youtube.com/watch?v=aGrZGFYZG18
Any Lully fans here?

>This thread is for intellectuals
youtube.com/watch?v=RKJ2CeVEzPo

>Bachtist shits up thread

>can only reply with meme
Typical Anti-Bach fag

>appreciating the greatist artist alive is "autism"
Leave

It's just the bogmemer false flagging because we made fun of Chopin

john luther adams

Yes. French music lived and died with Lully.

>I don't like what you're saying so I'll pretend you're someone else

clyp.it/vafppixm

I have this theme stuck in my head and I'm wondering where I heard it because I'm definitely not able to think that up on my own. What piece does it come from?

>yfw bogposter is really Calcium

Cringed so hard

"O you happy sons of the North who have been reared at the bosom of Bach, how I envy you."
-Verdi

I wouldn't go as far as saying that

"Bach is like an astronomer who, with the help of ciphers, finds the most wonderful stars."
-Chopin

"And if we look at the works of JS Bach--a benevolant god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity--on each page we discover things which we thought were born only yesterday, from delightful arabesques to an overflowing of religious feeling greater than anything we have since discovered. And in his works we will search in vain for anything the least lacking in good taste."
-Debussy

Well I would and I did. Rameau came close but everything after just fucking sucks.

REEEE DELETE THIS
THESE COMPOSERS ARE WRONG
BACH SUCKS GERMAN MUSIC SUCKS
REEEEEEEEEEEEE

youtube.com/watch?v=dc4lN7BwI-w

>"French" music
>lived and died by the hands of an Italian
Next you're going to tell me Handel's an English composer too.

holst was the greatest composer to ever live

Except that Lully composed in a distinctively French style. Handel's trash music was German, not English. The English didn't gain their musical identity until Purcell came about.
Telemann's pseudo-English music was much more tasteful.

>le fish may may

plz bros help me out I don't want to be a hack