This is Pink Floyd's best album

This is Pink Floyd's best album.
Sure Meddle and WYWH come close but in terms of interest, this album hooks you in and doesn't let go, it's interesting from beginning to end, this album also influenced many of the essential rock acts of the 70s and 80s, in fact it still influences many young future musicians. I want you to name a flaw in this album.
>Inb4 money

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TJaj_2xsHzc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

No.

Wow you sure have me convinced with that argument of yours

eheh, no?

>Darkside of the Moo
>Best Pink Floyd album

>this album hooks you in and doesn't let go
who, me?
not really, sorry

Can you guys please tell me why you think this?
I know that dark side is kind of a meme but historically and musically speaking, its their best and most accomplished.

>musically speaking, its their best and most accomplished.
how so?

Its extremely consistant all through out and it influenced an entire generation of rock musicians

Money is a shitty meandering song and the B-Side falls off. A-Side is good but it's garden-variety compared to Animals and Wish You Were Here and especially compared to their contemporaries

You could just say that you don't like it because its popular

>Its extremely consistant all through
but every track sounds different from one another

Even though you're wrong, its still extremely thematically consistent

But that would be self-contradicting because WYWH and Animals are also popular and are mostly fine. DSOTM just isn't that great.

Those albums are popular but not nearly as popular as dark side or money. While i agree that money is a weak link in the album it does add to the general theme of the album, so it needed to be there.

>being this contrarian
heres a (You)

Whether it's needed or not, it is a flaw.

I don't hate DSOTM, but the fact that it's upheld as the best PF is just absurd when they have much interesting work than what's essentially just glorified pop-rock (a style they didn't even perfect here, as WYWH improves upon it exponentially and without a mediocre B-Side).

i have listened to the entire pink floyd discog countless times. WYWH and Meddle are great as i mentioned before, but they simply did not have the cultural impact that DSOTM did, glorified pop-rock is going a bit far though don't you think?

so? that's nothing special
any brutal death metal album is probably more consistent, sonically and thematically

Greater cultural relevance =/= better on a musical standpoint

>but they simply did not have the cultural impact that DSOTM did

This is true, however, cultural impact is external and has nothing to do with the actual musical quality. It resonates with people, sure. But Linkin Park, Drake, Twenty One Pilots, and several other mega-popular bands and artists also resonate with people and I don't think anyone on Sup Forums would pass up a chance to shit on them. Cultural impact should be used as a societal analysis, not a musical one.

>glorified pop-rock is going a bit far though don't you think

What would call it then? I don't think it's going far at all, especially considering the radioplay this album still gets. It's essentially poppy tunes with more adventurous production.

I am not stating that because its cultural impact was greater that means that it was better from a musical standpoint, but it is still an important aspect when talking about music.
my view on the musical quality of the album is that it is superior to other PF albums in terms of it being more complex composition-wise, with a wider variety of instruments and production techniques used all throughout the album. it is extremely sonically interesting and doesn't follow normal guidelines of anything at the time

Anyone gonna argue for Animals best album?

yes, I think it's their best but I don't think you have any means to articulate what's special about it. It opens 12 year olds up to existentialism and that's a beautiful thing. it's their best because it's the epochal discrete album experience. it's their best because prior to this an album had not gotten into my head and situated itself into a place that could sway how I thought of the world. Granted, it seems a bit trite now, but it's really how I thought of it when I was young - it was mind-expanding music. and the thing about dark side is that it's just so much more direct than then their earlier attempts at heavy themes yet so much more graceful than their later attempts at heavy themes. not to mention that there are some all-time great performances on this album. if you don't think gilmour's best guitar solos are on this album or that wright's best keyboard work is on this album then I dunno what to tell you.

>extremely consistent all throughout
Yes money definitely was not a mistake ok

Yeah I love the range of instruments like the zero fucking percussion whatsoever so great lmao
Basically the most nonstandard stuff they have is some backup vocals
Everything else is just synth+guitar+lead vocals
I mean just the opening track of atom heart mother was more complex and interesting

Hey! Maybe if I go to an online image board I can impress people on the internet by showing that I like GOOD music.

>discussion regarding the question of the best pink floyd album
>piper isn't mentioned

I think their best album is a tossup between Wish You Were Here and Animals. Those albums are basically tied for me. I also thinks it's weird how no one seems to be able to show appreciation for the Dark Side of the Moon without acting really aggressive and extreme.

Different band, same name. Sorry, but when you're talking about Pink Floyd, the Barrett-led lineup and the classic lineup are two different things. Syd Barrett's style and approach to music has no relevance to what they went for afterwards. Syd Barrett was whimsical and dreamy, while Pink Floyd were cynical and literate. If you're into Pink Floyd, the odds are you're not going to be that into Syd Barrett, and vise versa. It's like if Tiny Tim just fronted Swans on their first album and so for the rest of time Swans just had this bizarre Tiny Tim association. If you're into the paranoid, surreal, esoteric atmosphere of Animals, why should you have to be into what sounds like a cross between teletubby music and 60's bubblegum renditions of Down By the Bay? I think David Baker-era Mercury Rev albums got at that whole whimsical psychedelic approach in a way that was way more satisfying and insane. The Piper At the Gates of Dawn just sounds like the album equivalent of MLP to me.

>but they simply did not have the cultural impact that DSOTM did
This album had a great impact on music, and it is also a great album, but musically I think the other albums people have mentioned are better. Musically speaking, the longer songs allowed PF to fully develop and expand musical ideas, instead of being constrained by short pieces and more or less following the traditional song structure.

Animals is their best album

Fuck off with this copypasta

>dad said he likes pink floyd
>bought him the rainbow EP coffee mug
>he thought it was some LGBT pride shit and threw it away

Title track is great but the rest is just so forgettable.

Even the band hates this album.

The band are plebs when it comes to their own work.

It's actually Animals you retarded ape

On a side note, Buzzo from the Melvins is a super obvious contrarian when it comes to the Melvins discography.

Geologist is kind of on the contrarian side too. He said that he thinks Danse Manatee is the best thing they ever did and Here Comes the Indian is the worst. Ironically, those are both also the two albums that he had the most creative influence over.

ALONE IN THE CLOUDS ALL BLUUE

>Fat Old Sun
>forgettable

w e w

What do you guys think of this album? I never see it mentioned or talked about here

if you don't think Piper is their best you are a pleb

I fucking hate Roger Waters era Pink Floyd, so it gets a thumbs up in my book.

he's right, you know

kek

It's mostly shit.

Made me kek

I concur. Although it doesn't beat Dark Side by much. Animals and WYWH are the pleb choices but because Dark Side is the most popular, people will continue to say they're the best.

YIPPIE

YA CANT SEE ME , BUT I CAN YOU

>bunch of shitty solo projects combined into one album
>all forgettable except for the animal noises one
what is up with people liking this?

>all forgettable except for the animal noises one
the narrow way was forgettable? grandchester medows?? fuck you have bad taste

youtube.com/watch?v=TJaj_2xsHzc

you can't just namedrop a genre he probably doesn't listen to in hopes that he'll just accept what you said. that's a shitty way to make a point.

dsotm is very cohesive and whole-sounding, it might not be a great album but it does sound like the songs fit together perfectly and cohesively.
composition wise the starting and ending tracks of WYWH are much much better
thats a hideous opinion and it should never be posted again
cynicism isn't intellectually superior to psychedelic fun (and vice versa)
piper is so dreamy and lush and joyous, you just have to celebrate it in a different way