/prod/ - Music Production general

3d edition

Learn how to google for the OP copypasta, even though nobody is contributing to the pastebin or the wiki.

Stuff:
>Pastebin - Likely deprecated links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff:
pastebin.com/QXRCaVsZ

>/prod/ wiki - looking for contributors (wink, wink)
mu-sic-production.wikia.com/wiki/Sup Forumssic_Production_Wiki

>Join the friendly discord chat. That is, if you're not a dirty fl kiddie.
discord.gg/n4Qfs

Remember to use:
>clyp.it for posting WiPs
No one gives a shit about your soundcloud.

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/jg4e1540
clyp.it/am5vghi5
soundcloud.com/dece1t/international-gay-anthem
clyp.it/bbdhbtdg
clyp.it/ncefke2f
clyp.it/lzs5jvdz
soundcloud.com/yungsherman/dont_go
soundcloud.com/yungsherman/always-on-my-mind
soundcloud.com/gravityboys/bladee-missing-person
youtube.com/watch?v=IqZkULNCbPM&list=PLGYoE903Nir5-wvI5ipGZMS6AYD1Le_iu
clyp.it/z1ljmgyw
youtu.be/D71iSwArWVI?t=9m40s
clyp.it/400mair3
youtube.com/watch?v=S-Xm7s9eGxU
clyp.it/b2z5z4gd
clyp.it/2tfz2seg
clyp.it/btbevhwe
clyp.it/43cvywse
youtube.com/watch?v=atvtBE6t48M
youtube.com/watch?v=gJkxGvhOS-M
youtube.com/watch?v=zK3m8sMkTE4
youtube.com/watch?v=sryFDibdGzw
clyp.it/xklgk5zu
youtube.com/watch?v=ZmnjRS_usmg&list=PLGYoE903Nir70nHIO0uIPsVU3jGkyyAbb
youtu.be/PItmtOKhH8E
youtube.com/watch?v=noOXZvgyGSo
clyp.it/cu4dk33j
youtube.com/watch?v=2zTSyEjkm3k
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

any /generative/ man in?

clyp.it/jg4e1540
CAN I GET SOME FEEDBACK LADS

hows my mixing?

clyp.it/am5vghi5

0:00 - 0:30: decent
0:30 - 4:12: fucked

>clyp.it/jg4e1540

this is some mad shit. it's like you started off fairly sane and then decided it needed MORE EVERYTHING MORE LOUD ALL THE TIME and its just a bit much

>just a bit

>being unnecessarily harsh

are you saying it's too much shit, it's too loud, or both?

soundcloud.com/dece1t/international-gay-anthem

The first melody is like a parody on some modern guitar pop melodies that i have heard on the radio, i think it's pretty gayish, don't take it srsly.

mixing is bad, but perhaps its unmixed. google 'mixing with pink noise'. use it as a foundation

you need to use better sounds, try to make crisper, less dissonant sounds especially for this kind of stuff

learn theory, clean your ears, don't use notes outside the scale unless you know what you're doing

too much shit going on. all your ideas are fighting to be heard at the same time. musical gangrape instead of tender lovin

clyp.it/bbdhbtdg
do these drums sound good?

yes, this is nice. instruments are samples or you recorded yourself?

oh my god with the pink noise thing now i an actually hear everything

What do you guys think? I tried to emulate Vaporwave.

clyp.it/ncefke2f

Which DAW do YOU use and why?

I've been sample digging and I think I've been getting better. Thoughts?

clyp.it/lzs5jvdz

disableton
it works

fruity loops
it works

Anyone?

fl because im broke

nah it doesn't

i'll change my statement
it does what i want it to do

>clyp.it/am5vghi5
not bad you should make that lead synth louder

>torrents

Protools
Because I light my cigars with money

idk why i said louder i meant wider

/r/-ing that pic saying something along the lines of "you got a bit too much reverb on that snare, buddy. Are you aware it's not the 80s anymore?"

Anyone?

not enough bart simpson/10

Logic Pro
because i have a mac and am a dissapointment

Fuck outta here with that phaser and too oversaturated

i want to make music like this:
soundcloud.com/yungsherman/dont_go
soundcloud.com/yungsherman/always-on-my-mind
soundcloud.com/gravityboys/bladee-missing-person
i have FL Studio 10 and audacity.

i have absolutely no idea how to make music.

where should i start?

sorry, FL Studio 11 Producer Edition or whichever one is the highest seeded on Kickass torrents

get rid of fl and start using a real daw before the autism sets in

you should start by trying to make anything

learn some music theory, watch some tutorials, mess around with 3xosc or any of the stock plugins, get familiar

everything you make at first will be unequivocally bad, this is normal. it just takes time to git gud.

probably would take anywhere from a couple of months to a couple of years to make something that isn't trash,

and don't listen to this guy he's probably a ableton elitist even though it doesn't really matter what you use as long as it sounds good. use whatever you want, and if you don't like it just go to something else.

>actually encouraging a noob to learn production on fl

>tfw i've got that exact same 4-track
mainly just gets used as a mixer or to record short snippets and ideas for later, though. it's great for getting really dirty compression if you record with dbx on and play it back with it disabled.

(you)

i'm taking a music theory course at my college this fall, but i was hoping to get some recs for maybe a good youtube channel for production or something. i have played around with it a bit but i'm pretty lost. maybe i'll try starting off with some vaporwave or something a little easier.

also, I wish Adobe made a music production software lol. I'm great at PS, Illustrator and Premiere Pro but FL Studio is taking some time

SeamlessR has some pretty good FL tutorials, that range from basic to super advanced. Here's a good place to start.
youtube.com/watch?v=IqZkULNCbPM&list=PLGYoE903Nir5-wvI5ipGZMS6AYD1Le_iu

>I wish Adobe made a music production software lol
They do
I'm sure there's a reason why it's not more well known

Thoughts/Comments/Criticism/Advice?

clyp.it/z1ljmgyw

any prodbuddies have a volca fm or a minilogue

how do you like it

bretty good/10
kinda wish it was longer

How tf can I make a kick that sounds like this /prod/

youtu.be/D71iSwArWVI?t=9m40s

im dying help me

clyp.it/400mair3

bump

Sounds like the chords from the into of OoT :)

reminds me of gymnopedies no. 1
youtube.com/watch?v=S-Xm7s9eGxU

something i started working on tonight, just an early idea looped a couple of times

clyp.it/b2z5z4gd
>hip-hop/electronic i guess?

hullo nice fellas, what you think? my aim is to destroy everyone's ears with clipping loudness:
>clyp.it/2tfz2seg

>clyp.it/2tfz2seg
pretty loud but not necessarily in a terrible way. kind of reminds me of some flylo stuff

Sex it up
Add reverb judiciously
More groove

clyp.it/btbevhwe
How is this?

Reason because I like playing pretend by plugging fake cables into fake rack equipment. But also pd-Extended for some stuff and then I have some outboard gear

>macros in ableton
>programmed randomness in synth patches
>random sample manipulation
>>>>>>> resample
idk how people do it but that's what i do...

FL Studio, theres literally nothing wrong with it

FL is the android of the DAW world

Where is your proof

proof of what?

Prove that FL Studio is the android of the DAW world

draw your own conclusions

I won't why should I when I can ask you

bomp

Can you guys help me get in the right direction with this? I was happy when I finally made a decent mix with drums, but when I added vocals and instruments I realized I still don't know much. I'm back at the beginning. They all clash and make the other parts sound worse then they are.

clyp.it/43cvywse

>how are the vocals mixed? What to do better? Too much/little reverb, stereo, eq?
>what do you think about drums? I already posted them before and was satisfied with the mix, but it seems to me that here they kinda don't fit, I will work on them
>what about synth? It's sad, but this is a single synth from nexus, I really like the sound of it, but don't know what to mix it with, I tried, but it currently still sounds better when it's alone.

Technology ought to be an answer to need. If you want a certain sound, we might be able to help you.

Ha, if only that was so easy. I don't really know what sound I want. I'm bad at sound design, I think I'm still almost deaf to it. It's a completely new thing to me and I can't differentiate good from bad very much. There surely have to be certain technical rules, no?

youtube.com/watch?v=atvtBE6t48M
youtube.com/watch?v=gJkxGvhOS-M
youtube.com/watch?v=zK3m8sMkTE4

these are usually posted when stuff like this comes up

Hey /prod/, I know a fair bit about acoustic instruments and have been playing for a while, but I know next to nothing about synths and electronic instruments. What do I need to make music like this?
youtube.com/watch?v=sryFDibdGzw
I know I'd need pedals, a synth and a microphone, but have no idea where to start with knowing what's good or bad for pedals and synths. Any help would be appreciated. I just want to stand on stage and shriek at people

Why has musíque prodûccion been ded for the last 2 suns?

clyp.it/xklgk5zu

where my fucking edge-bros at?

>clyp.it/43cvywse
jesus christ you squashed this good. let go of a few compressors m09

BASED GREGER
A
S
E
D

G
R
E
G
E
R

I squashed them good indeed, I realized it. I think many ratios were around 10:1+. I'll fix that. The problem is that I can't hear the difference at all. Are my beyerdynamics headphones bad or am I deaf though? Hm... How can I even get better at hearing stuff like that?

Ableton because it just werks

Oh but I have to say it sounds much different on clypit. Sometimes it sounds even better, but this time it sounds worse.

FL studio because I got a license. Still using pirated version because motherfuckers delete my channels if I forget and save them with demo plugins, so I still just pirate everything.

Would look into ableton if it actually does make better sound, but bad piano roll and overall much uglier gui are the reasons I don't want to do it. I got comfy with fl, idk.

I usually contribute/shitpost, but I work weekdays during business hours, and need my off time to catch up on vidya and patch making.

I would start with a DAW and learn the ropes before you buy anything. Then you can find out what you really want or need.

Quick and dirty on fx from my point of view

>Boss/Roland
Originated many classic stompboxes, can't go wrong with boss

>Behrigner
Knockoffs of many boss FX, more stepboxes because stomping might break the case

>EHX
Awesome standard FX, and plenty of esoteric stuff too. A bit spendy though

>joyo
Cheap but durable Chinese stuff. Garden variety though

>malekko
Fairly priced for boutique type of stuff

>earthquaker devices
Spendy, but nobody has pedals like these guys, totally out of this world.

Quick and dirty on synths

>Moog
Bass, and lots of it. A tad spensive, but high quality. They only have monophonic synths, meaning one note at a time.

>DSI
Dave Smith, inventor of the Prophet 5 went on to make his own company. They're the only ones making a range of analog polysynths in great numbers, and great stuff too. Most of their line is based off of the same oscillators and filters in the prophet 5.

>Roland
They're starting to take the hint, and finally getting back in touch with what people want. Pretty plasticky though.

>Yamaha
They'd rather sell you a workstation, even their new synth, the Montage, is a testament to that.

>Korg
These guys really get it, they have great synths ranging from vintage reissues to well rounded grooveboxes.

>Waldorf
Coming from the PPG lineage, these guys make quality digital synths that typically feature wavetable oscillators

>Arturia
They continually pump out quality budget analog synths and sequencers. Can't wait for a polysynth from them.

>Akai
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I hope you're not serious Akai.

>Novation
Came out with a synth so great, they made 5 more of the same synth in different boxes. Also the bass station 2

Listen to more music with good sound design, take influence from other artists and mix learn obscure techniques or experiment till you find something new

>this much lessons on harmor

youtube.com/watch?v=ZmnjRS_usmg&list=PLGYoE903Nir70nHIO0uIPsVU3jGkyyAbb

Is it worth it?

>akai

I don't understand why their in the the synth business at all. Just stick to fucking samplers

Poor Dan has to demo their crap
youtu.be/PItmtOKhH8E

wew

>This is the timbre wolf

only on the second viewing did I get how hilarious that is

It's pronounced Tam-bur, not timber

Where can I find the video where Grimes shows her production workflow?

youtube.com/watch?v=noOXZvgyGSo

1:30 "You know I can play chords if I want"

records ideas onto the Juno-g's shitty on board sequencer.

lisps into mic that is routed through a couple reverb pedals and boss dr sample.

hands off demo recordings to ACTUAL mix engineers

>hands off demo recordings to ACTUAL mix engineers
so does anyone you listen to lol

>Mix engineers

lol do you not actually know what mixing is? or what an engineer is?

Come on dude, grimes uses a Juno G. She's far less production inclined than any other female producer. Far less than anyone here

Trance thinger

clyp.it/cu4dk33j

Melody is placeholder, what do you think about the mix/master?

bass sounds great, really wide.

kick is a bit flat sounding imo, maybe tuned too high or needs a sub behind it.

Yeah it's a joke :d

Thanks. I'll try to EQ the kick some more but I'm afraid it would conflict with the bass too much in the lower frequencies.

yeah, that's a difficult area.

maybe sidechain the lowend a bit on the bass?

youtube.com/watch?v=2zTSyEjkm3k

Is there any simple DAW for Linux? Something like Grageband