What does it mean and how does it affect sound when people say music nowadays is high compressed?

What does it mean and how does it affect sound when people say music nowadays is high compressed?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range_compression
binghamton.edu/magazine/index.php/magazine/feature/chamber-of-silence
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It means Shadient.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range_compression

There is literally nothing wrong with the 1991 version. It looks like they compressed some rogue transients and boosted it a bit.

No Dynamics. Remember the earlty albums from Animal Collective, how it had sounds and samples that went gurgling and crackling and reverbed within a space? There were objects over here, objects over there, they got louder and quieter. Now think about Painting With. Everything sounds flat, there's no sense of space, no real changes in volume. That's overcompression

Putting that levels that close to peaking is never a good idea

As a producer, I seriously don't understand why the loudness war is as popular as it is. It just feels pointless.

i never understood why you'd want to listen to music with no dynamics

Yeah it cost thousands of innocent lives too.

people dont like using the volume button

get a life you nerds

Nobody has a life on 4skin

just turn it down if its too loud

That's the thing. You can't. It's loud at every level.

i only listen to silence in my noise cancelling headphones in flac
it's so good

you'll cowards don't even listen to maddening silence
binghamton.edu/magazine/index.php/magazine/feature/chamber-of-silence

Just made this. Tell me if I'm wrong.

you are

What's wrong about it?

>quiet is too quiet
sometimes quiet is violent

This trend has already come and gone, it's true there's still some music with that brickwalled sound but it's passed its peak. Now that streaming satellite radio and mp3s are more common it doesn't make as much sense, this type of engineering was designed for music being played over FM radio.

I want to kill myself for getting the reference.

I agree, I like quiet sometimes, but in many mixes I've heard over the years it isn't done right like if forces you to turn up the volume only to make your ears bleed when it goes back up. In that case it isn't as much of an aspect of the music as it is a hassle for the listener, breaking the immersion of the experience.

You want to die? OK, then die. Go ahead, die right now. Quitter, quitter, quitter, quitter! Quit, quit, quit, quit.

You shouldnt have to. The music is meant to be quiet at some points and louder at others. If it's done well there would be no need to mess with the volume while you're listening

>i never understood why you'd want to play on a pitch with no dynamics

>pitch

what's wrong with that word? i speak 4 languages english is only #3

the word your looking for is "field" ;)
no need to thank me

Are there actually any masters that don't clip on purpose?

am i getting american'd?

what's the reference i wanna know

>wikipedia as a source
nice meme friendo

i'm pretty sure i worded my reply correctly

>bbc
now you're just fucking with me

Actually BBC is fucking with my wife

FUCK

Swissbro?

I remember some nerds complaining how Kanye's albums are too loud, it's like get with the times nerd, it ain't 2004 no more

I don't think anyone tries to clip on purpose (unless it's to add texture to a beat). The reason it happens is because of laziness. That being said, most older masters don't clip and I don't have any remasters in mind at the moment that don't have the issue besides maybe the deluxe version of In the Court of the Crimson King or the Beatles' 2009 remasters, but even then those remasters are subtle and mostly just remove tape hiss and improve sound quality.

nope
i do speak french doe

I find it hard to hide it, but I do too.

Yes Americans definitely never say pitch when referring to a football field we just say field lel

Pretty sure that Dark twisted fantasy and A cross the universe clip, but it's for aesthetic reasons not poor mastering.

heres the best way i can explain it

this picture has 3 different versions of the same song: the musical box by genesis. i picked this song because it's very dynamic, with very very quiet parts and very very loud parts. i have 3 different flac releases of this song: one from my 1987 cd charisma release, one from my 1994 atlantic release, and one from the 2015 r kive boxed set

the red boxes are where, on the each song, the song is loudest. you can see that the song is intended to build up: the "loud" sections of this song get louder as time goes on until it finally climaxes at the end. this is the proper way to listen to the song because it's how the artists originally intended for the song to be arranged-- where the loudest possible moment of the song is where they arranged it to be. on the 1987 version, you can see a couple of transients (basically little clicks in the waveform, usually from drum hits) in the second "loud" section, but it's not as consistently loud as the third "loud" section, where it is pretty much at a loud enough volume that it is perceivably loud, but not so loud that it's altering how the instruments naturally sound. basically, its as close to a "live" performance of the song, in that the volume of the instruments arent being altered past how they'd normally act in the mix.

the 1994 version has more compression -- you can see the quiet sections are louder and the loud sections are louder. the loud sections here are as close to clipping as a master should ever be--full, but not "brickwalled" (google that term if you dont understand it, it basically is a term for dynamic limiting). it still retains the dynamics between quiet and loud and gives the same effect, but not as drastically and everything is made to be louder.

the 2015 version is absolutely atrocious. the quiet sections towards the beginning are almost as loud as some of the loud sections from the 1985 version. the loud sections have no buildup; theyre just loud every time. 1/2

2/2

i just realized i keep typing 2015 when i mean 2014 but you get what i mean

the loud sections have no difference between them. they dont build up beause theyre all equally as loud and that actually leads to degradation and distortion of the sound. not only are you taking away from the way the song was performed and arranged, but youre making it sound really shitty in the process. also, they fucked up the loudness ratio between the left and right channels. you can see that there are louder parts in the left channel for the quiet sectoins of the 1987 and 1994 versions of the song, but the 2014 version has pretty much no stereo dynamics because everything is made to be the same loudness.

tldr basically it makes everything louder than it should be which takes away from the artistic meaning of the way a song is arranged and also sometimes degrades the sound quality of the audio

>songs don't get drowned out on the radio in public places
>plebs can enjoy the music on their phone and laptop speakers at a decent volume
Don't get me wrong, I hate it, but there are good reasons for it. Professional sound engineers aren't idiots who think "durr I'm gonna put 10+db gain on da limitar cause dats how ure supposed to do it"

>aesthetic reasons
Kanye has truly reached "can do no wrong" status here on Sup Forums. First the 300 line, now this.

BDTF mastering arguments predate the 300 line....