ITT: LIVE SHOWS DISCUSSION

what bands/ artists have you seen live?
how was your experience watching them live?
what is the best show you have ever seen live?
what is the worst one?
rate the shows you have seen. /10
what bands/ artists would you like to seen live?
festivals/ single live shows?
a big stage or a small one?

Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/artizans/cant-pretend
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Too many to name or even remember
>Varies from falling asleep on a couch to near-total engagement in what the artist is causing to happen, and everything in between
>Best - Dillinger Escape Plan
>Worst - some no-name punk band where the vocalist practically attacked the group I was with
>Too many
>Rush, Iron Maiden, Melt-Banana
>Yes
>Depends on the content of the performance and the size of the audience

Only one worth mentioning is Massive Attack. Saw them at a festival Switzerland 2014. Sound was great, I wish I could've gotten closer to the stage. The setlist was mostly from their latest album, they should've performed more from pic related.

>what bands/ artists have you seen live?
drake,asap rocky,tokyo police club, cage the elephant,car seat headrest,protomartyr
>how was your experience watching them live?
tokyo police was great
CTE put on an awesome show glad i saw them during their melophobia tour that album is one of their best.
CSH needs some work in the vocal area protomartyr was fucking FLAWLESS.
>what is the best show you have ever seen live?
CTE or protomartyr
>what is the worst one?
asap rocky
>rate the shows you have seen. /10
drake 6/10 because of shit seats
asap 2/10
TPC 8/10
CTE 8.5/10
CSH 7/10
protomartyr easily 9/10
wish their set was longer though
>what bands/ artists would you like to seen live?
interpol and i missed my fucking chance a year ago still bummed about that

also modest mouse and sioux falls
>festivals/ single live shows?
teen suicide aug 3rd
parquet courts aug 13th
car seat head rest sept 15
built to spill sept 16
whitney oct 10th
preoccupations oct 14th
possibly might go see joyce manor im still debating though that's in oct too

>a big stage or a small one?
small stage at small venue. better energy.

Too many to name them all, but best ones off the top of my head: Radiohead in Manchester 2008, Joanna Newsom (3 times – Manchester 2010, End of the Road 2011, and London end of last year – all 10/10 gigs), Sufjan Stevens (2011), Arthur Lee playing Forever Changes in its entirety (2002/3 – my first ever gig with my Dad when I was 11), Brian Wilson playing SMiLE (2004) and Leonard Cohen (2009 I think). Honourable mentions to These New Puritans, PJ Harvey, Sigur Ros and LCD Soundsystem.

Worst gig was probably Girls, just after their debut album. Really liked the record, saw them in a tiny venue, and they were really, really disappointing.

Festivals: Glastonbury, Leeds (when I was young), Bestival and End of the Road, plus one day festivals like Field Day.

Small venues.

> Melvins @ Paradise Rock Club, Boston MA
10/10
> Nine Inch Nails w/ Soundgarden @ Comcast Center, Mansfield MA
8/10
> Death Grips @ Paradise
8/10
> How to Destroy Angels @ House of Blues, Boston
9/10
> The Aristocrats @ Berklee Performance Center, Boston (twice)
10/10

Oh, fucking hell, I somehow forgot Jeff Mangum in London a couple of years ago. That was fucking great.

I have seen a lot of shows, on varying stage sizes.
My top 5 favorite shows:
1. Godspeed You! Black Emperor
-a literal religious experience. My favorite band ever, and they have the best live show on earth. If you ever get the chance to see them, do it. You will experience the music in a completely different way.

2. Sunn O)))
-loud as FUCK. I could feel the sound pummeling my body. The show itself could be described as some sort of dark-magic ritual in worship of sound itself. Yeah, it's some cool shit. The showmanship is great.

3. Big|Brave
-the opener for Sunn O))). Loved their album last year, so I expected them to be good live, but they still managed to blow my expectations out of the water. It was actually a very emotional experience. Great band.

4. Ufomammut
-Italian space-doom band. Insane live show, the bass was earth-shaking. The visuals also added a lot to the show.

5. Aidan Burns and Wounded Deer
-a local band I saw at a DIY barn show. Despite being really small band, they had a really well done live show. Very noisy, and actually aided my slow progression of getting into noisier music.

As I have seen more and more shows, I have come to the realization that I prefer shows that are more a style of performance art than just a group performing their music. My top three live shows all fit under this umbrella.

Best show I've ever seen was either Girl Band or GY!BE, very different types of show though
Worst was definitely Chvrches, man they were fucking awful

>AnCo, Tame Impala, Alcest, King Gizzard, The Flaming Lips, De La Soul, etc.
>I liked the ones I mentioned
>Easily the Lips or King Gizzard, they were just so much fun and you could really let go if you'd taken some substances to enjoy it with
>Worst was the band Slaves or Rolo Tomassi, both are trash music, even worse live
>From above mentioned - 8, 7, 8, 9, 10, 7
>Avalanches, Boris, Neon Indian, Guided By Voices, Destroyer
>Depends on what festival/show
>prefer more intimate venues with better setups

have fun at parquet courts, they put on a great show. started with sunbathing animal, shit went from 0 to 100 real quick
I catch Sufjan and Joanna whenever I get the chance, they're incredible performers. The recent Divers tour was astounding.
Animal collective are hit or miss for me recently. Saw them on the Centipede Hz tour and it was utter trash, but I loved the show I caught during this Painting With tour.
I saw milo in a very intimate setting, got to chat with him, it was surreal having listened to him since his first mixtape and finally getting to tell him how much his music means to me. His set was killer as well, he went in way harder than he had to given the amount of people there to see him, and I respect that so much.
Also saw Ought, they were hands down the best post punk act I've ever caught live.

Oxbow's performance the other night was the best ive seen in a long time. Their new album (10 years in the making) dropping in November might be AOTY for me. Eugene was still a madman live and the guitar tones were incredible.

I saw them back in 2009, missed them on the cHz tour, then caught panda bear's Grim reaper tour and the PW tour, loved them every time

Yeah the Divers tour was phenomenal, and her End of the Road set...I've never seen a festival crowd stood in rapt, astounded silence for 2 hours before. Sufjan played here in London last year and the ticket website crashed due to demand, couldn't get tickets unfortunately. Heard it was fantastic.

>A literal shitton, way too many to list
>Almost every show I've ever been to has been a great experience, but some are shitty
>Best live show is a toss up between Modern Baseball and Snail Mail (and others). I'll probably give it to Snail Mail because I saw them in a garage with like 30 other people and hung out with them after the show lol
>Worst show I ever saw was Girlpool at a festival. They're a great band but their sound was not suited to a festival and it was boring to watch
>Way too many to rate them
>Want to see Alex G, The Wonder Years, Mountain Goats, Pile (I've seen their lead singer solo and that was sick, want to see the whole band)
> Festivals are fun but generally I don't like enough bands in the lineup to enjoy them more than a standard show.
> Small stages are without a question better than big stages. Some of the best shows I've ever been to have been in garages, basements, back yards, and apartments. Much more intimate experience and you can get much closer to the performer. I've literally sat on the floor next to the performer before and it was sick.

Danny Brown is coming near where I live in October - worth it? I've been to a couple hip-hop/rap shows (Earl Sweatshirt, Aesop Rock), but they weren't very good performances.

King Gizzard was incredible live. I'd gone with my friend to see Tonstartssbandht (Mac DeMarco's guitarist's side project) open for them and had never heard KG before. I had my mind absolutely blown.

Lucky me, I'm seeing them again this august, really looking forward to the Nonagon Infinity stuff

The Mountain Goats are my favorite live band, seen them 6 times now. Incredible shows

Was that during the Carrie and Lowell show? It wasn't mindblowing, but it was maximum comfy, Sufjan at his most intimate and heartfelt (though sonically I prefer his age of adz bombastic kind of sound, got to get that kind of experience at a recent festival i saw him at)

What is their best album? I've only heard the one that's on Spotify and found it kinda eh but if they're really good live then I would like to listen to more of them

Yeah the C&L tour was the one I couldn't get tickets for. The Age of Adz tour is when I saw him, it was phenomenal, Impossible Soul was like an out-of-body experience.

Dude I'm so jealous. Had 2 chances to see them, but one I was 17 (2 years ago) and it was an 18+ show and the other I had a wedding to go to. Definitely the top band on my live show bucket list.

oh, here, forgot to mention, I think the worst show I've seen unfortunately has to have been Neutral Milk Hotel. Maybe it was unrealistic expectations, but I didn't enjoy it at all. Crowd absolutely sucked, everyone had to sing every lyric because they're all the biggest fan and I couldn't hear shit. Legitimately didn't enjoy a song until they closed with an encore of Engine, and that's my favorite NMH track, so I got a little emotional. All in all, super disappointed though.

I'd go with Nonagon Infinity or I'm In Your Mind Fuzz, but Float Along Fill Your Lungs is pretty good too

Their new album is pretty sick IMO. I also really liked 12 Bar Bruise (their first album) and Paper Mache Dream Balloon.

Thanks man

Seeing the Boris playing Pink show with Earth next month but I really have no idea what to expect. Pretty hype.

Tooo many to name, but the ones that re\ally stand out are David Gilmour, The Prodigy, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden. Gary Numan was a lot of fun to see live. I think the worst band I've stood through was Biffy Clyro. Honourable mentions to Mastodon, Frank Turner and NOFX

Seeing them on the 31st, in the same clueless boat.
They have a reletively new member for all their live shows now who plays the sax and he is phenomenal. I hope you get another chance to see them soon

Me too, but for some reason they only seem to be playing in the midwest as of late which would be a hike for me.

I really wish JD and the Mountain Goats didn't hate the east coast outside of Brooklyn. I swear to christ he plays in Philly less than any other city and it's fucking Philly.

Best live shows I ever saw were phish during the reunion tour in the late 2000s and the flaming lips right after embryonic came out, great show

I've seen earth twice, and they are fucking incredible. One of the best live bands ever imo.

How real is the ear plugs meme? Would seeing these bands without them be a serious mistake?

5 out of the 6 times I've seen them it has been somewhere in NC, but last time I saw them in Knoxville, TN. Yeah, their tour schedules are strange.

Too many man.
Best i've seen were the melvins, rammstein, gy!be and depeche mode.

The worst was probably cradle of filth. They're fucking pathetic.

A few i would love to catch are: Melt banana, Chemical brothers, the orb and ott.

Dude I wish I would've seen Protomartyr! I love them but the venue they were playing was a bit far. Tickets were cheap too.

Depends on the venue. They're loud as fuck, but if it's a small venue the earplugs tend to take away a lot of the high frequencies, which ruins the sound. So my tip is to start the show with earplugs, and remove them if the sound sucks.

>dg at paradise

that show was top lel

I saw them at a free festival in NYC a couple weekends ago. They were good, not great IMO.

Too many to count really

I'd say Leeds Fest is my favourite place to see bands (when the line up is not too bad).
Other than that I tend to enjoy underground bands the most, they tend to try harder imo

There's a band from Manchester I saw not too long ago Artizans that were pretty sick, best gig in a while. This is them, solid 8.5/10 overall for me
soundcloud.com/artizans/cant-pretend

>Best Shows
>Autechre
Small crowd that was really getting into it. Only lighting were two blue lights on Rob and Sean. Crazy chaotic tunes 9/10
>Tim Hecker
He was part of some weird mini festival put on by Wire. A bunch of douches were chatting at the beginning of the show and then when told to be quite made a jab at it being an "ambiance show." After that though it was a 40 minute journey of beautiful sounds 8/10
>Darkside
Lollapalooza a couple years ago with Darkside headlining the last night on that tucked away secluded stage. Skrillex, Chance the Rapper, and Mumford and Sons (or some shit like that) were headlining at the same time so there was no one at the show. Legitimately maybe 50 or so people which means my buddy and I were right up at the front. Right before the show started some couple finding for weed came up to us looking for some. Ending up selling them about half a dime for $80 (which was funny because we bout a dub from some random black guy who came up to us after Run the Jewels). In the end it was the most intimate festival show I've ever seen. Classic Darkside lighting was used and it was incredible 10/10

>too many to list
>punk/metal/stoner-rock fun due to the moshing/crowdsurfing. Indie bands I always hope for a good sound and not the always-crappy-festivals-sound. Also, hate people smoking or screaming around me in concerts that you go for the music and not for the party.
>Steven Wilson @ Madrid 2013
>Destruction @ Vagos Open Air 2015
>SW 9/10 Destruction 3/10
>MBV, Swans, Sunn O))), GY!BE, Baroness, Porcupine Tree, Death Grips, Slayer (and many more)
>Festivals for popular bands, single live for small ones (It's worth it to pay 50€ for 3 known bands, not the same amount for only one)
>Small Stage, the less the Crowd the better

Boris will probably fuck up your hearing somewhat without them, so I'd highly suggest them. Just wear earbuds partly in to get rid of the harmful frequencies

You going to leeds fest this year arr lad?

Favourites were probably:
Father John Misty (Mini warm up show in my city for his London shows, announced before Honeybear exploded and being that up close was insane)
Paul McCartney (Birmingham Arena)
Johnny Marr (intimate show in support of some Record Store Day single)
Bo Ningen (x2, Japanese noise rock outfit, incredible and raw live)
Milburn reunion show (UK indie band, sold out 10,000 tickets in my/their hometown)
Hacktivist (Djent-rap band, fucking insane)

Seeing Cattle Decapitation, HECK and Everything Everything very soon, don't know whether to grab a SWANS ticket
Haven't seen a terrible live band besides standard local stuff which doesn't count
Would kill to see Rush, Punch Brothers or Sufjan

same i saw them at 4knots too
wish the set was longer desu

Which album was Tim Hecker supporting on that tour?
I saw him this year supporting Love Streams, and I found it mediocre.
It was too loud for the genre and the size of the room, and it was monotonous because he only performed the glitchy style from love streams, and didn't brought sounds from his previous workings.
At the end it felt like a some mp3 playing some organ and chorus songs through a rusty cable at 130db.
It was monotonous, disturbing and anticlimatic.

what didn't you like about it though? i thought they sounded great

I've seen Bruno Mars, GY!BE and Buckethead. Seeing Brian Wilson Friday.

GY!BE was definitely the best experience. They're amazing live and the crowd was great.
Bruno Mars was my least favorite only because we had awful seats and I just don't really like his music.

Bruno Mars - 6/10
GY!BE - 10/10
Buckethead - 7.5/10

Really wanna see Swans live but I'm not going to be able to when they come near me. Still regret not going to see Death Grips.

Small venues are the best

Chelsea Wolfe, The Fray, Swans, Car Seat Headrest

I enjoyed all of them, some more than other. However, when I was st Summerfest to see the Fray, I paid more attention to the couple in front of us manhandling each other.

It's a tie between Chelsea Wolfe and Swans for the best show put on, but I'll say Chelsea Wolfe because I had a better view and the acoustics were amazing.
>what is the worst one?
The Fray did a good job with their boring vulva music, but it was still boring vulva music.

Chelsea Wolfe 9/10
Swans 9.5/10
Car Seat Headrest 8/10
The Fray 3/10 without couple, 6/10 with couple

The Mountain Goats, AJJ, Tobacco, July Talk, Swans again, Chelsea Wolfe again...

I can't do festivals, too much of an energy strain, one offs pls.

800-1500 people is the sweet spot, anything less means that the stage is a bit too small, and anything more means that there's too much people there. Seeing Swans in a 300 person max venue was amazing tho.

I saw Michael Schenker Group and shook his hand in a meet & greet at the show. This was with Gary Barden, it was good.

I also randomly saw Pertti Kurikan Nimipäivät walking around Oulu, they were doing a charity gig in Rotuaari. A pleasant surprise.

only gonna list what I saw this year, because I keep track:
peter hook, deafheaven, protomartyr (2x), beak>, EITS, savages (2x), lcd soundsystem, titus andronicus, radiohead, anco, avalanches, boredomes,
brian wilson, drive like jehu, julia holter, pj harvey, sigur ros, flying lotus, thundercat, nina kraviz, dj shadow, anna meredith, jambinai
might have missed a couple.
got tickets for sunn o))), king crimson, and swans.

I very much enjoyed all of them, but standouts are savages, protomartyr, radiohead, julia holter, pj harvey and sigur ros - those were all 10/10

I can't really remember the worst one, I usually leave when I don't like a show

my bucket list comprises sufjan, joanna newsom, gorillaz, swans, and GY!BE. gonna see swans in october, so that's covered.

you can probably guess that most of those shows I listed were at festivals

as for all time favourite gigs, I'd list cocorosie, einsturzende neubauten, and atoms for peace. but only anna calvi and sigur ros put tears in my eyes.

In between Virgin and Love Streams. I recognized some spots from Virgins and Ravedeath but the rest was foreign too me. Most of the show wasn't loud so when the loud did come in they were that much more special. Bummer to hear Love Streams is fucking things up.

Who else saw Robert Fripp and the Orchestra of Crafty Guitarists this year? fantastic show

Among my favorites are probable lightning bolt, faust, sufjan stevens, and swans but really there's too many to remember.

great. some where in festivals, others where shows but i usually always get a good spot in the crowd.

If we're talking shows and in pure spectacle I'd give it to sufjan stevens

>what is the worst one?
some lame pop punk band at a festival.

Faust was a definite 10/10. i thought it was going to be just old dudes playing but it actually had alot of energy and it was a very creative show. too bad they had to end it early.

Melt Banana. i missed my chance this year when they were touring with the melvins.
Also MBV and slowdive again.

both. I go to levitation in the winter and the pitchfork music festival in the summer every year in Chicago.

depends on the act really. if they're going for a big show its got to be a big stage. If its a small act with lots of energy than small stage is better.

thinking of seeing Boris next month. are they good live?

Crippled Black Phoenix, Explosions in the Sky, This Will Destroy You, GY!BE three or four times, God is an Astronaut twice (once with Caspian supporting, I love those guys) and Neutral Milk Hotel twice
All of them were great, although I can't really remember the EITS show that well.
Crippled Black Phoenix. The venue was really small and the atmosphere, supporting act and crowd was all top notch. God is an Astronaut also put on really great live shows, even if I'm not as big into their music as I am with the other bands.
>what is the worst one?
EITS just because I can't remember a thing. It probably wasn't bad though.
Too lazy to do that
I'd love to see Giles Corey/Have a Nice Life but I don't know if that's a thing that will ever happen. I also missed out on seeing the "Fall of Math" anniversary 65daysofstatic show, which I'm gutted about.
I've never been to a festival so I guess single live shows. I'm interested in Arctangent festival and might go next year but I forgot about it this year and already have plans.
I like smaller venues, they feel more personal.

I saw the Growlers live last month
bretty disappointing desu
I did see the Cure last month too. One of the best shows I've been to

Nothing particularly stood out that I didn't like, but I'd heard they were insane live and nothing particularly blew my mind. Don't get me wrong I definitely enjoyed it though

Phish, The Dead, Godspeed You!, Dean Ween Group, Bob Weir, Dinosaur Jr., Sea of shit, and many more.
usually pretty fun.
Phish
>what is the worst one?
Shitty local bands who's names I don't remember
Phish - 9/10, 10/10, 6/10
The Dead, Bob Weir - always a great time, but those guys are old and the music isn't what it used to be.
Dinosaur Jr. - 7.5/10
Godspeed You! - I love these guys but their show was Fucking boring 5/10
I wanna see everyone I like at least once. Too many to list. I really need to see Phil lesh again. Wish I could have seen Prince, Lou reed, and Jerry Garcia, but they all died :(
Depends.