Why is 80s music objectively superior to modern music of today?

Why is 80s music objectively superior to modern music of today?

I've done up mixes of one hit wonders of the 80s on usb for sound systems at parties, and hundreds of people of all ages love the music more than modern music.

youtube.com/watch?v=gzeOWnnSNjg

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=msfj4gyTQus
youtube.com/watch?v=jqdlCBLSq94
youtube.com/watch?v=FrLequ6dUdM
youtube.com/watch?v=w-NshzYK9y0
youtube.com/watch?v=aRcAvsZgjXA
youtube.com/watch?v=is1BMJJveho
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Modern music is far better, it's just more diverse.

The reason 80's music is so "good" is becuase it's all been sifted through there's so many forgotten artists in the 80s people only remember whats good

It's not though. You're probably cherry picking the better songs of the decade, but also people tend to have rose-tinted goggles about the past so they'll always claim it was better when it wasn't, even if they personally didn't experience said era.

I think it's been pretty well established for a long while that, at least as far as mainstream artists were concerned, the 80s was a really bad decade compared to the 60s-70s or the 90s.

There was something in the hairspray, and probably in the cocaine distributed by Pablo Escobar. It all worked marvelous wonders on our entertainment industry.

Men and women became like gods, and the booming success of cable television and radio in the '80s brought the stars to each and every single Hulkamaniac sitting at home.

The thing about the 80s is that it had the best pop music.

Other decades had GOAT music as well, just not usually the pop music.

80s pop music wasn't any good after 84 though. I mean, the late 80s was _really_ bad for both rock and pop.

Sheena Easton: Distinctions Not Cost Effective [1980s]

Kim Basinger she wasn't--not without Prince, anyway.

80-84...GOAT. 85-89...oh lord no.

I don't think the 80's is "better" but i do love the mainstream sound of the 80's more than the sound of any other decade

That is a little funny because most people widely dislike 80s music production.

>wind tunnel sound
>snare reverb
>squeal guitars
>everything is processed to being laboratory-slick
>women sound like chipmunks
>dudes sound like they were castrated at 13
>synths instead of real backing instruments

>dudes sound like they were castrated
no, there were shitloads of guys with crooner voices, and those have almost entirely disappeared

youtube.com/watch?v=msfj4gyTQus

Nah, dude, nah. He sounds like he had his balls chopped off.

nah this just the grass is always greener effect
you only like the 80s because people have already gone thru and filtered the bad albums.
modern music is much better

Now, there's plenty of middle aged soccer moms who will go "Oh, I wish music was still like this Adam Levine wishes he could sing as good as Joe Elliot." when of course that's silly; Pyromania was every bit as awful, shitty, manufactured pop rock as anything Maroon 5 put out.

Because you and your buddies are trend-hopping nostalgia faggots.

>you only like the 80s because people have already gone thru and filtered the bad albums

But even then, people always like to claim the past is better so even if it was a shitty artist like Poison that everyone laughed at back then, they'll still (insert Justin Bieber insult). Honest to God, you can go on Youtube comments and see idiots acting like manufactured MTV boybands were better than anything out in 2016.

Early 00's RnB is much better imho.

I don't hear anyone praising Poison, do you? Usually when 80s music is discussed nowadays, people talk about Replacements, Pixies, Cure, and any of the other alternative/punk bands.

Come to think of it, if you'd read a Rolling Stone Magazine from 1987, you'd even have heard more about those bands than the hairspray garbage. The critics were always praising indie rock and denouncing hair metal.

>he
so, one or two guys huh?

shit no, it was all autotuned feelsy ballads, cringeworthy as fuck

how is this auto tune m8 youtube.com/watch?v=jqdlCBLSq94

what's the connection between MTV and Poison and how can you say with a straight face that Poison aren't better than many recent artists?

Nobody with taste ever liked hairspray rock. Just nostalgic 40 year old women and dumb teenagers on Youtube who romanticize an era they never lived in. Leppard and Poison were a joke then and they're a joke now.

>what's the connection between MTV and Poison and how can you say with a straight face that Poison aren't better than many recent artists?

still woozy shit for teenager.
I'll take commercial glam rock over that, at least it had a few decent riffs.

Poison, maybe, but the reason why people say the 80s were generally better is precisely BECAUSE even a band like Def Leppard is a lot better than the overwhelming majority of millenial mainstream music, not the other way around.

youtube.com/watch?v=FrLequ6dUdM
all the good glam rock is from the 70's m8

Contrarians are just hopping onto the "I hated the 80s all along" bandwagon now that they're identifying nostalgia for that decade as a substantial trend.

Same old shit as usual.

>BECAUSE even a band like Def Leppard is a lot better than the overwhelming majority of millenial mainstream music, not the other way around

Of course it most certainly is not and if you'd been there in 1987 you'd be making this same argument but with X 60s group instead.

I guess, but bad glam rock is still superior to millenial pop and 00s RnB

You know, I might.
But if I did that, I'd be wrong.

sexually frustrated preteen detected

bet you think nu-metal was the best shit from that decade

only shitty hard rock act I'll give props to is youtube.com/watch?v=w-NshzYK9y0
van halen,Motörhead and danzig

I love 80's pop and post punk tho

The 80's hate trend predates the 80's nostalgia trends.

Van Halen and Motorhead had their prime in the first half of the decade though, when the rock and pop scenes were really on fire. Remember that when we say the 80s was shit, we're talking mostly about 85-89.

If we're talking about mainstream shit, there were fortunately still some well-known industrial rock bands going in the early 2000s.

And that's precisely why you're the wrongest of the wrong.

nigga how can you hate this

youtube.com/watch?v=aRcAvsZgjXA

>he's going to claim now that Van Hagar was better than the DLR era band
I c wat u did thar.

new wave was good until it became a catchall term for every pop rock act that used synths

goth, punk, industrial, darkwave, etc were good

everything else about the 80s fucking sucked

Oh god, all those late 80s hair metal groups were so fucking bad. And all of them were exactly the same.

>two songs - power ballad and squeal guitar rocker
>all same exact chord progressions
>all same falsetto vocals

These bands were being churned out by record labels like freaking butter. It's no wonder GNR blew up big in a hurry; the mainstream rock scene in 1988 was that abysmal.

Don't put Leppard in the same category as that trash band Poison.

New Wave was from like 78-81. By 1982 it was beginning to run out of gas and turn into commercial radio crap.

>any of those things
>a negative

See, this guy's uncle was probably in some shitty band back then.

Yeahyeah I know Leppard were more of a real band than Poison and we know about their early NWOBM stuff, but they went and massively sold out for $$$. A lot of horrible 80s rock cliches started _with_ Pyromania.

I beg to differ. Late '80s had some pretty good pop hits, and Madonna's best albums came out around that period. Jody Watley, Martika, Janet Jackson, Whitney, Gloria Estefan and the Miami Sound Machine, and Paula Abdul all swept the charts with great songs. Prince was still making good songs, and Michael Jackson's Bad album came out in '87. Robert Palmer released "Simply Irresistible" in '88, and Peter Gabriel's "Slegehammer" was an '86 release.

The late '80s was not bad; however, I would say that by this period a lot of the music did become way too poppy. The fun and imaginative minds of the New Wave punk explosion were fusing out or selling out, and what came out of that was a lot of homogenized music that didn't sell anything different, which is why the alt craze happened in the early '90s.

Madonna sure but Bad was really kind of weak compared with Thriller.

When people started saying the Eurhythmics and Duran Duran were "New Wave", fuggedaboutit.

Everything is weak compared to Thriller.

Bad had "Smooth Criminal", the title track, "Dirty Diana", "Man In The Mirror", and "The Way You Make Me Feel".

So aside from the wave of manufactured MTV boybands in the late 80s, industry veterans were slackening. The metal guys like Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, and Dio started running out of gas, the hard rock guys like Aerosmith and Van Halen had become wannabe Bon Jovis, New Wave and punk were dead, and thrash metal/alternative bands were too un-commercial to get a mainstream following.

It's pretty horrible to think just how huge Bon Jovi got in the late 80s and how everyone also decided it was a good idea to follow them.

>instead of real backing instruments
wew yeah how awful it was that the instruments finally were an inseperable part of the music instead of just some random twee shit glued onto a poem

The late 80s actually was a period when a lot of 70s has-beens like Aerosmith, Heart, and Alice Cooper staged miraculous comebacks thanks to Desmond Child.

youtube.com/watch?v=is1BMJJveho