Classic albums from this decade

I don’t just mean “albums that you like from this decade”, I’m talking about which albums will be viewed is 20+ years as genuine classics.

For instance, though I loved it upon release, and it was seen by many as the album of the year, I’m not sure Channel Orange will be remembered in say 30 years as a masterpiece. Similarly, though AMSP is my album of the year, will it be overshadowed by Radiohead’s earlier work? When it comes to albums that will be seen in years to come as up there with the best, I would say:

Kendrick – TPAB and GKMC
Sun Kil Moon – Benji (I genuinely believe its reputation will just grow and grow, I think it’s a real top 10-20 albums ever made contender. The Guardian omitting this and To Be Kind from their 40 best albums of the year list was laughable)
Joanna Newsom – HOOM
Swans – To Be Kind/The Seer
Kanye – MBDTF (you may not like it, but it will be)
PJ Harvey – Let England Shake

Ones I’d say are maybes:
These New Puritans – Hidden
Death Grips – The Money Store
Scott Walker – Bish Bosch
Sufjan – Age of Adz and Carrie & Lowell
EMA – Past Life Martyred Saints
Janelle Monae - The ArchAndroid
Deerhunter - Halcyon Digest

What does everyone else think?

Tim Hecker - Virgins

Benji is the only one from those you mention that I'd agree with.

think this SWANS trilogy will, eventually

Jason Aldean - Old Boots New Dirt

yeah I think most of the albums you posted will be rememberred.

I do think that some of the albums there are going to be associated more strongly with the current culture than others? Hip-hop of today will be associated with the racial tensions. Like indie will be associated with the hipsters from 5 years ago. I think electronic music (OPN, that weird PC music, vaporwave) will also be rememberred as a movement, with the internet and all. Not every electronic artist will be rememberred of course, but i think definitely OPN will be rememberred as a innovative artist that captured something of this time.

some of the other artists you posted are good and will be influential to next generations of musicians, but they won't be remembered as of this time if that makes sense. Like radiohead, Swans and folk artists you posted have made great albums, but they won't be associated with what's going on in the world right now. Radiohead will be overshadowed by their earlier work I think, and swans will be rememberred for being culturally relevant earlier (no-wave gothic, whatever) but i think their output now will be seen as something that is by itself .Just like we don't really associate nick drake with the 60's as much as more culturally engaged artists.

It's a good shout, but I think maybe Flying Lotus will be remembered as a key influential figure generally, rather than for 1 masterpiece. I'll put that in the "maybe" category.

I adore that album, but I'm not sure if it will go down as a genuine classic.

Very interesting, you're right that there is a distinction there (a good example would be Never Mind the Bollocks being remembered and discussed more than much better albums of the time).

The Ark Work
Farside Virtual

it will take until 2030 for the majority to recognize it as such though

pic related for sure
this also also carrie & lowell won't be remembered AOA yeah but not that one.
don't forget james ferraro's FSV too

fuck i thought this was that drake thing i got so triggered

nah its not drake. but it's a popular discussed album around the art community. my professor herself recommend me it during a breakup.
still have yet to find something that sounds like it.

The Money Store

>Swans - The Seer/To Be Kind/Glowing Man

>Godspeed you! Black Emperor - Allelujah! Dont bend! Ascend

>Sun Kil Moon - Benji

>Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool

>OPN - Replica

>Kanye - MBDTF (fucking hate the guy and the majority of his music but I have to give this to him.)

That's really all so far imo senpai, maybe the suburbs by Arcade Fire

Helplessness Blues by Fleet Foxes

They're not exactly similar but I can see a lot of influence from Yo La Tengo's And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside Out in The Redeemer.

sorry meant to reply to this post:

thx I'll check it out

I disagree with AMSP and im a huge radiohead fan.

>a bunch of guitar shit

A moon shaped pool and allelujah are just newer albums from already acclaimed artists and they don't do anything really new or interesting in relation to the rest of their discographies. Good albums, but i don't see them becoming classics any time soon.

I've never been a huge radiohead fan, but AMSP is fantastic.

give it two years before you say that.

A cuck who likes hip hop beats.

*lowers trilby*

I fucking love TNP but Hidden won't be considered a classic from the 2010s. Probably one of the best cult albums, if anything.

Also:
Beyonce - s/t
Frank Ocean - Channel Orange
Bowie - Blackstar (I'm calling it already)
Disclosure - Settle
Tame Impala - Lonerism/Currents

They may be meme albums, but they're gonna be remembered.

Also pt2:
I never got Benji. Every time I try to listen to it, by sides end up in orbit because I think the lyrics and delivery are so fucking stupid. Does it grow on you?

I'd only give you tame impala currents.
rest are wrong.
disclosure isn't good at all considering every dj in the uk making house music has better tunes playing. and don't forget jame xx's in colour blew it away

also stop saying meme for bad albums you like

Barter 6

Benji certainly is a grower, I liked it 1st time but the delivery and lyrical style felt strange, now I'd say it's probably in my top 20 albums ever.

Replace Benji with Ghosts of the Great Highway or Universal Themes and you're right.

Death Grips will be considered one of the more important bands for our times, but not for TMS. TMS is their weakest and least interesting album.

>Kanye - MBDTF (fucking hate the guy and the majority of his music but I have to give this to him.)
>hating some random guy that you don't even know
>actually having that much pent up rage that you HATE them
The media really knows how to brainwash people.

Whatever you say friendo.

>currents
>not lonerism
Absolutely not. There are way too many stand out tracks on Lonerism.

Benji is timeless, I agree. It will be seen as the Blonde on Blonde of the 2010s.

i think blackstar will be remembered just because of the context but it will be remembered nonetheless

As for sun kil moon maybe try listening to carissa again when you think you might be in the mood
I liked it the first though so i don't know

Pretty much every acclaimed album will get remembered to a point. It just depends on what circle of music communities you reside in.

you could try and argue your picks instead of being passive aggressive m8

lonerism is good but innerspeaker is much better.
Currents is gonna be talked about forever people play it non stop at my university. look at the spotify numbers. it's a classic
I'd say only the hipsters will still talk about lonerism because it's a good nostalgia album from 70's psych much
I'm open for discussing to prove me wrong

nobody even remembers those dorks disclosure now

Benji's overrated as fuck

agreed. I loved Currents but Lonerism's a better record

>I'm open for discussing to prove me wrong
That's all well and good but all of us here are just making speculation. We can't make 100% clear cut predictions of the future.

I mean look at Weezers "Pinkerton". It got pretty heavily panned 20 years ago and now it's considered an absolute must have classic album.

I agree thats why I say we should all test each other on our picks logically. I don't mind being wrong

yeah I can see this being talked unfortunately even tho I prefer listening to liturgy -aesthetica more

Ya it will be, purely because they explored a relatively untouched sound. I still don't think it was executed very well

>OPN will be rememberred as a innovative artist that captured something of this time.
your a dorable

Beyonce had a huge impact on online/IRL culture with BEYONCE. Not only the huge number of individual 'meme' phrases (not saying that derogatorily), but also how she used it to position herself at the vanguard of the celebrity pop-feminist movement of the last few years.

Blackstar probably wouldn't be a classic had Bowie not died, but it's the capstone to the career of a legendary artist. It's also legitimately good.

Channel Orange is also legitimately good, and if the hype for Boys Don't Cry is anything to go by, it's already considered a modern classic. I mean, people are analysing the HTML code of his website and turning out release date clues.

And Tame Impala will be remembered in some form or another, be it for Lonerism or Currents (hence why I put both).

I give you the point about Disclosure though. You're probably right.

It's a good album but I don't think it's especially revolutionary or ahead of its time. But what the fuck do I know

These are both good shouts.

good points on beyonce and the rest.

I'm pretty damn excited for Danny Brown's newest upcoming album too. Speaking off classics, he'll go down as one of the GOAT rappers.

>meme grips
>20+ years from now
k80 m80 180

This will be an underground classic. Idk what you guys think of TDEP but they're one of my fave bands and they have immense talent.

Calculating Infinity will always be my favorite of theirs

Kendrick? Kanye? Janelle Monae? Joanna Newsom? Scott Walker? Death Grips?

I still haven't listened to it. I'm afraid of listening to another vocalist. I know it's really irrational.

Calculating Infinity will always be my favorite of theirs
>this decade

shit, it just popped back up in my comment space after I made a new post. weird

nah it's good, go listen to it. It's more abrasive sounding but the breakdowns and fills on it are legendary

>this decade
Oh shit. Sorry man. I fucked up. Replacement hip hop album that gets overlooked but will have a cult fan base in years to come.
Aight I'll listen to it tomorrow.

This decade, as in 2010 onwards.

nobody is going to give a fuck about royce da 5 9 ever except for m&m fans

Yeah I realised chill.

Death Grips will never be regarded as a classic.

Sorry, hadn't seen the other comments when I posted.

Okay user.

It's a maybe for me, I think it may depend on how big an influence it ends up having (which is why I chose their debut studio album - could substitute it for Exmilitary).

Hopefully. Fantastic album.

all good. Nice pick. That album's great
Just plain not true. They don't even make similar music. Nice attempt though I guess

This is a great choice, slipped my mind (OP). Really has the feeling of an album that's stature will grow over time.

who do you think will be remembered?
OPN is fairly popular and makes minimal music with samples and synths, sure that isn't that innovative and has been done before now, but the feelings and atmosphere it creates is of a kind I have not experienced before. Please be constructive and don't just shitpost

Modern Radiohead will be overshadowed by their older work.

everytime I hear Feel You its quality just grows and grows with each listen

Thanks. Prhyme is up there in my top 10 easily. I still need to listen to Pinata. I have his discography but I still haven't given him a chance yet.

I love AMSP but I agree, just as an album like The Colour of Spring is great, but it's not seen really as a classic because of better Talk Talk albums.

I mean arguably with fantastic bands like Radiohead almost all of their albums are "classics" so it doesn't matter. It's hard to talk about one of their albums without the rest being discussed.

such a good album

For some reason I just don't see it, albums that are regarded as classics are usually very accessible and were very popular at some point. Most of Death Grips' discography is neither.

Fuck yeah. He's slowly working his way up into my favourite rappers. You heard Hot Soup? Fantastic mixtape.

Also, anyone here a Jack White fan?

Generally true, but there's always the odd Trout Mask Replica that slips through.

>albums that are regarded as classics are usually very accessible
According to who? I don't like Swans, I find their music incredibly hard to listen to and very inaccessible. Yet they still have "classics".

also...
Destroyer - Kaputt
James Blake s/t
Beach House - Teen Dream (definitely not Bloom)
Dean Blunt - The Redeemer

For real. Death grips? Jesus Christ what a childish opinion. NO ONE will remember death grips even 10 years from now, except fags like OP.

Stop your shit posting, child.

Classics in smaller circles. Most people in 20 years will have no idea who the Swans are.

that honestly depends on your definition of classic

some people consider trout mask replica a classic and others don't. In my opinion classics don't have to be wildly popular.

A classic is a work with artistic merit that defines a style. It's at the top or the first of its class

Their first 3 albums will undoubtedly go down as classics.

> the Swans
lol

you do have a point though

That's why it's all relative. It all depends on the music you most associate with. It depends on the music community you surround yourself with.

My definition of classic is a great piece of music that is widely remembered and still praised for being innovative, reflecting of the time it was recording in, or just being generally good but still widely popular.

I don't believe at all that a piece of music has to be innovative to be considered fantastic, or worthy of "classic" status.

no, it genuinely is true

royce da 5'9 and the other weedcarriers in laughterhouse are complete non entities that will not be discussed by anybody with a decent grasp on hip hop culture, now and into the future

premo has a single beat on a devin the dude album that will be remembered by generations more than this flabby grab at suburban kids who started listening to rap by way of recovery

I said innovative, reflective of the time it was recorded in, OR widely regarded as generally good.

Oh sorry, I must have missed that.

Okay user.

BP will be their Red

can somebody do a chart?

plebeian with little cultural understanding of even his own time.

I would say Homogenic but this is 2010- so got cut off by around 15 years or so.

Nowhere near as innovative musically, but incredibly personal, evocative and one of Bjork's best, at the very least of her 2000's work. Although, Vulnicura might fall into the same pitfall as Moon Shaped Pool; great album, yet overshadowed by previous releases. Especially funny given Bjork's-Radiohead's claim to being the forerunners of alternative music and releasing their albums at pretty much the exact same dates as each other.

i don't think we'll have 'classics' in the same way we used to. music is much too personalised now for there to be consensus to that degree. people will remember the stuff they listened to.