Thinking about learning how to play the guitar, any hints Sup Forums ? Can anyone in here play it ?

Thinking about learning how to play the guitar, any hints Sup Forums ? Can anyone in here play it ?

Play the piano instead.

When you buy a guitar, have sex with it. You really want to have an intimate relationship with the instrument in order to convey your feelings through it. So fuck it, and fuck it good.

If you want to use it to play metal like rob scallion stop now and buy a rope to hang yourself. Do some good for the music community and learn music theory and then play some fucking jazz you pleb

before putting new strings on it you have to replicate this by shoving the strings up your ass like anal beads

Why the piano?

>>/gg/

protip: practice lots

I intend to play the acoustic guitar, and metal is not really me genre.

The piano is the superior instrument. It has a better range than the guitar and it is better for composing music. The downside is that it is far more difficult to learn. Another upside, though, is that it doesn't hurt your fingers.

You should be a comedian, so funny.

How many hours per day ? 2~3h is good ?

Not this guy but yeah, about 1-2 hours. Prepare to suck a lot

I would like to learn it, but I don't have the money to invest in a piano. And I am more of a Lual guy

I am prepared, but how long until I am able to play my first rhythm ?

Well when you play your first note it's a rhythm. If you mean like strumming patterns, it takes practice to do it consistently.

>better range than the guitar

Everyone learns at different paces. As a music teacher if seen students who can come in with no previous training and just get it. On the other hand some people just don't have the same ability to quickly Comprehend and execute rhythmic ideas and also the dexterity required

Guitars are really fucking cool. You can be as vanilla and faggy as you want playing Wonderwall one minute to looping the sound of your pick running down the low E string along with using an Ebow to make ethereal ambient music.

I really have a lot to learn, any tips on where to get information on music theory ?Is it worth it paying for a course, or learning on my own better ?

A good way is to learn one string at a time. Learn how to play the E string then think about moving on to the A string. It should take a few mouths to learn each string but it gets easier when you got a few strings down.

Teoria is a great website for music theory training

How learning one string at time works ?

JustinGuitar has a ebook or something on that shit

but what you want to learn is diatonic theory, understand which chords come are in a given key, im sure there's youtube videos on it but learning theory on guitar is pretty good because you can visually see how the scale relates to the chords

2-3 hours a day is waaaaaay over doing it. Start with an hour tops, I'd say.

>why

because initially you suck at everything and it won't be enjoyable at all because it won't sound like music, just out of tune buzzing. And if you do that for 3 hours a day you'll hate the instrument after a week and you'll never pick it up again.

you get get that the ffuck off here

you learn the string. like the notes on the string. what notes you can play on that string. Its like video games. I main d string.

>I main d string
>this whole post

Nobody on Sup Forums can play an instrument; this is why they're obsessed with James Aldean and Grimes.

As long as you don't give up you are good pham

Learn to play smoke in the water und you will be all set.

What the actual fuck...
Also dubs

get that meme machine out of here

eh, that's still what like 4 octaves? you're gonna need a bigger guitar, m8

Seems to be a little bit more than 5 octaves

>all these plebs that don't djent using one of these bad boys

>design is not only the pickguard, but it crosses over to the fingerboard and the humbuckers

>I main d string.

how is the piano more difficult to learn? theory makes so much more sense on piano.

how is the piano more difficult to learn? theory makes so much more sense to a beginner. ok i guess its really easy to get to that "all i know is open chords but i can play wonderwall at the campfire and thats enough for me" level that so many (esp acoustic only) players are stuck at while it takes more time to become competent enough at piano to impress plebs. but still since i think learning the theory is the most integral part anyways and since that is more intuitive on piano i think it is easier to start with.

1v1 me, MAIN strings

what? is this bait? i feel like this is bait.
true

learning the guitar one string at a time is real advice that competent jazz musicians give out but he managed to make it sound stupid

Nope, no one here can play the most overly popular instrument on the fucking planet.

Theory is definitely easier and more intuitive to learn on a piano. The other side of that is that knowing theory is more important on the piano. It's much easier to get away with not knowing much on the guitar, and the fundamentals will get you much further on guitar than they will on piano.

>doesn't hurt your fingers

agreed. i guess it depends on what you're going for. if you just wanna be entry level pleb who can play somewhat play an instrument go for guitar and learn a few open chords. if you wanna get into composition asap go for piano. if you're actually serious about learning you can learn the theory on both instruments though.

hahhahahahaha

Practice for as many hours per day as you want.
When I first started guitar I was practicing 1-2 hours hours at first, after my fingers became manly I was putting in a solid 3-5 hours a day.
As a beginner I would advise hitting up justinguitar and learning a bunch of songs. A lot of people think a beginner should learn music theory right away but I don't really believe it that. For some it can be overwhelming and turn one away from music, so once you have learned the fundamentals you should start delving into music theory. It's really important and can open your eyes on a lot of things.

I've played Violin seriously for about 20 years. Every time I pick up a guitar all I've gotta remember is "4ths and a major 3rd, not 5ths"

On another note how hard is it to pick up piano?
Is it something like guitar and bass in which I can get away with learning a lot online or is a teacher absolutely necessary? I would ultimately like to play some classical pieces and work with some jazz but I am wondering how long and how much of a commitment I would have to make

both of those would require a teacher to get competent at, especially jazz because playing jazz is really fucking complicated

Alright but could I learn the basics and eventually reach an intermediate level of playing through books/online sources at first?

Absolute basics are totally available online, but a teacher is good for learning technique properly and also answering specific questions. Everything you need is on the internet, but you might not know how to find it; a teacher will be able to tell you what you need to learn, and then teach you it.

Yes you can self teach

Alright thanks user

>doesn't hurt your fingers
>has never gotten hand cramps from playing
every instrument asks at least a little physical strain. t b h guitar doesn't even hurt after like 3 months of playing.

that pickup selector!
>flick tha bean!

Alright, I'll be that guy. How do I get past the "i can play wonderwall at a campfire" level? I've been trying to pick up the guitar for years. Every few months I pick it up again and try to learn some of my favorite "easy" songs, like rock/pop songs, but I can't get past that stage. All the songs I try to play just sound freaking terrible no matter how many times I play them.

I can't figure out what I should be learning, or trying to learn, next. I realize my complaints sound vague and open ended but that's because I know jack about music theory, or really anything about guitar, besides how to play some chords. Any tips or advice for where to look to learn how to improve my fundamentals? Preferably something I could practice that will yield tangible results fairly quickly, because I'm an impatient childish bastard who wants immeadiate gratification.

also ya'll need a new joke, besides bashing on the guy playing wonderwall at a campsite at a music festival or whatever. I have seen many douchebags playing some stupid song at campfires but it has never been wonderwall. i've heard people complaining about DUDE CAMPFIRE WONDERWALL GUY LMAO but has anyone ever seen it happen? I'm pretty sure even normal people rip on that. you should be making fun of the guy playing an acoustic coldplay cover or a jack johnson song because that actually happens

There's a lot you can learn from books and online for sure, but in general there aren't as many resources out there for pianists as there are for guitarist when it comes to learning, and there's not a good consolidated program like justinguitar. There is tons of sheet music though, so if you learn to read music there's a lot of songs to play.

This dude went to my high school. He's a couple years older than me.

How much time and effort are you putting into it at the times you do pick it up? You definitely have to put a decent amount of time into it while you're doing it but you also have to practice effectively--it's about quantity AND quality.

justinguitar is the best method I know of because he teaches you in a structured way without you really having to put a lot of thought into it, so do that. Just follow his plan and you'll get somewhere.

As for improving your fundamentals, you definitely have to work at it. Learning songs is good because it's fun and it keeps you motivated, but you also have to work hard if you want to get somewhere. Find out your weak points. Isolate, them and focus on them. Slow it down, work on accuracy, and don't speed up until you're precise. Having trouble moving between your Dm and G? Work on it. Spend 15 minutes just going back and forth between the two, slowly, until you can do it reflexively. Etc.

the first time will be very hard and you'll think it's not made for you but you gotta keep practicing.Trust me, with time your hand will smoother and faster transition between chord and etc. start with a classic guitar since they have the bigger fret board, you will be used to really move your finger. Get a cheap/offbrand guitar to start from a pawnshop or if you have a bigger budget, you can get something better