Serious question Sup Forums

Serious question Sup Forums.
Does he even know what he is talking about?
Does he have any knowledge of muscial theory, at all?

Other urls found in this thread:

scaruffi.com/history/german.html
scaruffi.com/music/essentia.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

9 of his top 10 are from an 11 year span. so i'm gonna say not

There just his favorite albums from when he was younger, probably a get off my lawn old man if he thinks only one album has been made that's top 10 since the 70's

>Does he have any knowledge of muscial theory, at all?

how is that relevant to rock music?

He's insightful for the music he likes, if nothing else.
The Beatles article is a trainwreck though.

Have you tried asking him? He'd probably have a better answer for you.

What do people fucking see in Twin infinitives?

I dunno. It gets pretty trancelike after awhile that's what I like about it.

Just sounds ear grating to me, had it on for 12 minutes before turning it off.

>literally one album post-1978

kek

and you guys take this twat seriously

I don't know what to tell you; I enjoyed it. Just not for you, I guess.

There is literally nothing wrong with this.

Why wouldn't we?

muh rock is the best genre ever

scaruffi.com/history/german.html
This is a neat Scruffles article. He's said some outright dumb shit but he's far better than most reviewers of popular music.

it is.

What are you trying to say here?

fucking kek

I think somewhere he said that his reviews are intended for people who listen to "art music" and are new to rock music

muh memerap and bleep bloops

You're not really making much sense.

classical > rock

>classical
>genre
kek

Well that's really a discussion for another thread.

fine

art music > rock music

the fact that he doesn't have one classical album up there shows me all the "musical knowledge" this guy has

Scaruffi is almost exclusively talking about popular music on his website.
Besides, Scaruffi's taste in classical is kinda garbage desu, nor is it something he knows about.

you do realize that its a list of only rock albums right?

He has a separate list for classical. I'm not sure how he feels they compare to each other.

>classical "album"

scaruffi.com/music/essentia.html

fucking retard

Why is Nico so high? How the fuck is the only VU album on there the one with her that she's the worst part of?

I don't know anything at all about classical, but can you try and briefly explain why his taste is terrible?

>Faust
>Captain Beefheart

proving my point

this guy is a joke and you're all jokes for taking him seriously

kek

>being this new

except he doesn't actually appreciate art music, he just pretends to so he can give his shitty pop music some credibility when he compares them. His jazz list is laughable

>he's a joke for not having the same taste as me

is that so

the fact that he sticks up for the doors is admirable and I'll always at least like him for that

Jazz list looked decent to me. Some questionable additions but not something I would dismiss entirely. Why do you think otherwise?

yeah

no it's for having shit taste when you claim yourself to be an art music critic

you're a fucking retard

i don't think it is so

can you give me a reason why it is?

>Carter's symphony of three orchestras instead of his 1st string quartet
>no Xenakis
>Part and Lutoslawski
Scaruffi pls

shove your violin up your asshole

pop and rock and hip hop and jazz and funk and soul and reggae >>>>> "MUH ART MUSIC"

so this is the musical knowledge and taste of Scaruffi drones

>can you give me a reason

Where do you think you are?

Sitting in my room, why do you ask?

imagine actually having this shit taste

What's wrong with Part?

Does he have any knowledge of muscial theory, at all?

>You can't appreciate a painting without studying geometry.

I don't think it is. Scaruffi pretty much hates hip hop rates any kind of art rock highly. I think that guy's on some weird shitposting fest.

I find most of his taste and writings ridiculous to the point of hilarity. That being said, I have mad respect that he has TBSATSL as his #1 jazz album cuz that's my personal #1 jazz album, too.

Not to mention that my favorite album in his top 10, The Modern Dance, is also one of my own all time favorites, too, [spoiler]and I also hate to admit it that I only learned about the album from him even though I am pretty good otherwise at knowing my fair share of lesser known punk stuff.[/spoiler]

I'm sorry it's just hard to take him that seriously compared to the amount of respect he has here for some reason if you're telling me he has selected bias against pop music genres

>claim yourself to be an art music critic

except he claims to be a rock critic, not an art music critic.

he has literally admitted that he is not good at critiquing classical music and that many better critics have done it before him.

he became a rock critic because he believes other rock critics are a joke (which they are).

His music :^)
Also Reich isn't on the list and he deserves a spot more than him or Monk for that matter.

Well then don't take him seriously. But why come here to shit on people who do?

it's fun

Kind of mean spirited though, isn't it?

>any kind of art rock highly
>Beatles
>Radiohead
>post Piper Pink Floyd
>David Bowie
Wtf are you talking about?

yeah but I have nothing better to do for the next hour

He rates Reich very highly, if it's any consolation. three 8s and a 9, last time I checked, which is a very impressive score.

not him and i haven't heard enough of those albums to accurately gauge its quality but his criteria definitely makes it seem he doesn't "understand" jazz. Like there's nothing wrong with performing standards, as long as its used as a vehicle for delivering interesting solo, as it has been many times. He says he prefers composition over improve, which I guess is fine (even though improv has always been the main appeal of jazz) but then his list is filled with free/avant garde stuff thats all improv. He says he likes emotion rather than technique, than says he doesn't like live albums, the place where emotion is the most apparent

Radiohead is not an art rock band and neither is Bowie

I don't understand the consistently low Beatles scores but post Piper Pink Floyd is for the most part trash

Have you ever tried learning more about Scaruffi? I'm not saying he's always right, but he's a lot more analytical than almost every other rock critic. I don't take everything he says as fact but I think you're missing out if you don't at least consider his opinion.

>"understand" jazz.
You're going to have to explain this better. I'm assuming you "understand" jazz? Why is it in quotation marks?

How's Radiohead not art rock on OKC? Or Bowie on albums around the Ziggy time period?

I mean are we going to call them art rock just because of one album? PH was grunge, the Bends was britpop and everything Kid A and on can not be described as art rock except for maybe In Rainbows

Bowie possibly

It's a list of best rock albums, not best albums from all genres. Also, the 60s and 70s were when rock had really solidified itself as a genre and was doing most of its experimentation before it completed exhausted itself a couple decades later. It's just like with jazz, the best albums weren't made when jazz had just started and they're not being made today, they were made in the 50s and 60s.

Kid A and Amnesiac are art rock, nothing else they have done is.

>Kid A and Amnesiac are art rock

no

Define art rock

Why are they art rock tho?

Not trying to piss anyone off, just asking

No
He's a mentally ill pretentious fuckwit who doesn't know what he's talking about half the time
Basically an avant-teen who never grew out of it. Embarrassing.

experimental/electronic rock before art rock if anything

Especially Amnesiac

It's called most "significant works", not favorite works, meaning the list is focusing on innovation and influence

You seem personally upset by Scaruffi. Did he do something to you?

I'd say more so than Scaruffi

This is hilarious. The guy is saying Scaruffi doesn't have enough knowledge to be a music critic, when he doesn't have enough knowledge to be a Scaruffi critic.

raped me when I was 13

No, he's just stupid
I feel embarrassed to share a board with his fans

probably rated his favorite album poorly l o l

That's not really an answer. Or at least, it's not a new answer, and it's certainly not an explanation.

xD

inb4 why are there age limits

Well you can leave, you know. No one will stop you.

And you really seem very affronted, on a personal level

Like rock but it sucks ass and is pretentious as fuck

Ah, well then yes, I can see you calling Radiohead art rock.

I've already (mostly) explained what I think is wrong with his criteria. I've play jazz, and i listened to a lot of jazz and read biographies of my favorite artists, I'd say I have a pretty good understanding of it

He has extraordinary carnal knowledge of 12-year-old girls.

But on the other hand you admit you haven't listened to most of the albums he named. And your criteria doesn't actually make much sense. You seem more upset that he seems to say one thing while doing another, but the things he does line up basically with what you said was good, except not liking live albums.

Where are you getting this, anyway? What pages of his website?

Also you know you can't use personal anecdotes and history as reliable arguments here.

>music itself being "pretentious"
when will this meme end

>the fact that
the fact that
>the fact that
the fact that
>the fact that
the fact that

When will your life end
Sleep with one eye open tonight fucka

>classical album
>classical
>album
>mfw

>Shosty 15
Is it really that good. I wasn't too impressed with it, but then again last I heard it was 5 years ago.

THE

FACT

Shosty's symphonies aren't that good honesty. His chamber music and the preludes and fugues are his better works.