Was he only popular because he had a pretty face?

was he only popular because he had a pretty face?

Other urls found in this thread:

dailymotion.com/video/xekni4_starman-the-krankies_music
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>I've never listened to Heroes
>David Bowie is that guy who died

No. Now fuck off.

certainly not for his songwriting

>he became famous after 'Heroes'
>'Heroes' would've been good without Eno
when will this meme stop?

It certainly helped, but no.

Considering he's paint over his face so you barely recognize him during the prime of his popularity, i'd have to say no.

He looks like lunch lady to me with that slicked back hairstyle.

I'm pretty sure it was because he had a knack for capturing the right aesthetics at the right moment, and especially for choosing who to work with. though it's undeniable that he was good looking.

That can't be it, he's an ugly-ass ginger

prime of his popularity was lets dance, he was underground during ziggy stardust

And a pretty voice.

He was fucking huge during Ziggy, every show was selling out Stadiums. Let's Dance was a come back for him after losing popularity during his Berlin Trilogy.

No he wasn't. There was a cover of starman on children's tv in the uk

>He was fucking huge during Ziggy, every show was selling out Stadiums.

thats incorrect

Young Americans was when Bowie really hit the mainstream.

Bowie was never that big. Incredibly influential and important in pop music, but he was never a draw like Jackson or The Beatles. He'd probably be more on level with Prince. Ironic they died in the same year.

Explain this you fucking nonce
dailymotion.com/video/xekni4_starman-the-krankies_music

That was just when he got more popular in the US. He was already a hit in the UK.

That isn't 1972 and it also doesn't prove that he was super famous then because he wasn't. Ziggy Stardust peaked at 75th in the US when it came out.

Americans were plebs back then and didn't understand him until he moved to the US and starting cashing in on funk/soul music.

>US

His face is average and pretty normal which is a good thing in his case, his look was all in his hair.

Do have to say that fully slicked back style like in OPs pic is pretty naff

ITT: Americans who have no idea what they're talking about

>David Bowie was underground after he made the Ziggy Stardust album
Holy fuck get off Sup Forums

I'd like to paint your face. I bet you have a pritty face...

>average
he looked like a movie star

jesus christ you absolute lunatic david bowie was fucking HUGE, an absolutely immense popstar on the same level as michael jackson easily. what the fuck are you talking about??? do you live in america?

he was only really famous in the UK during ziggy stardust, no one knew him in America

If David Bowie is average then I'm so ugly I think I should just kill myself to avoid poisoning the gene pool

>that's incorrect and here's evidence to back my point up
>oh wait, I have no evidence, lol

I already said the album peaked at 75th

No. He REALLY fucking was not. He didn't have half the reach that Jackson did, didn't sell even a third of the records Jackson did, nor did he sell out stadiums and make a fortune like Jackson did. Like I said, his influence on popular music is absolutely massive, and he is certainly a pop culture icon, but MJ, Elvis and The Beatles are popular musics big 3 and no one else comes close.

more bowie

get the fuck outta here with this bullshit, your original comment said, "David Bowie was never that big" which is complete toss. one of the most famous and iconic musicians to ever live and instantly recognizable to millions of people all over the world, and ITT people seem to think that he was underground in 1972 or "not that big." fucking lmao

>nor did he sell out stadiums and make a fortune like Jackson did
>net worth was 230 million dollars

It peaked at 5 in the UK
>inb4 b-but it's outside the US so it doesn't count

This

>you will never fuck prime debbie harry

I was responding to the guy who said he was selling out stadiums in the Ziggy Stardust era, which was totally false. He played stadium shows, but it was not consistent to the level of other massive stars, hence why I said he was more comparable to the likes of Prince.

AKA the mainstream. Nobody cares about limey fucks, it's all about U S A.

I original said lets dance was his peak fame, you or someone else said it was early 70s Bowie but he was only really big in the UK then. Lets Dance was when he became worldwide famous.

ITT: US-centric Americans or God tier baiters?

Who know's? You decide

But he sold out stadiums in the 80s.

if you've not got any deformities and be on a caloric deficit for a while and, and have a trendy haircut you can look good too.

When you're famous and going to events and parties and stuff you're almost never seen in front of cameras without your hair nicely styled and a bit of strategic makeup on cause celebrity's all about image

For men, not so much women, the correlation between fame and being naturally good-looking illusion, because the fame is what allows the men to set the trends as to what is a good-looking man. Get a random bloke off the street and give him loads of cash and put him on loads of magazines and billboards and in a few weeks all the young men will try to look like him

you are a god damn idiot

To be fair, you originally said he was "underground" during Ziggy era. Just because he wasn't in the top 10 doesn't mean he's underground.

all ive done is describe what a trend is and how it's created

Bowie managed to be in control of it himself but usually it's the job of all the pr people and marketing firms to sort out with the media

the only reason it's hard for you or me to be famous in this day and age is because the industry doesn't have to look far to find new celebrities because talent isn't as important anymore, so they don't really have to look beyond the upper and upper middle class

He was underground in the states then

He wasn't underground in the states, he just wasn't the most popular musician at the time. Just because you're not the single biggest artist in the world doesn't automatically make you obscure.