Wow hes SO cool and Deep! must be goin through hard troubles!

wow hes SO cool and Deep! must be goin through hard troubles!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=09ZeMEAnt-M
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Met FJM he is super nice in person.
the online shit is just banter

must be really hard to be p4k's token folk musician puppet

i hope he's self aware that the music he makes is for starbucks teens that think sufjan stevens and AJJ are good too

don't put sufjan in the same tier as AJJ or FJM you fucking faggot

neither of them have even half the talent sufjan has

Death to Starbucks folk!

I was there. As a fan of FJM (he was half the reason I bought tickets) I have to say I'm really not disappointed in this "set" at all. Knowing what I do about him and this "character" I can comfortably view this set as a kind of performance art, and in that respect it was fascinating to watch. The improvised song was spellbinding with some great lyrics.

>neither of them have half the talent Sufjan has

okay, lemme start by saying I by no means mean to degrade Sufjan and his artistic vision but Tillman was a member of the most important folk band in the 21st century, releasing a couple already classic records. On his FJM albums, he has really showed himself to be a top-teir songwriter (song structure and lyricism), and still shows potential to grow. The guy is incredible

Oh and AJJ...possibly the most acclaimed band in folk-punk outside of the Violent Femmes. Also they have several great albums that present a tremendous amount of emotion

Sufjan has struggled to find his feet since releasing his Magnum Opus "Illinoise" in 2005, becoming more adept to experimenting with electronics on the mediocre Age of Adz. He then retracted the experimentation phase and put out a quiet, sad folk record in 2015.

Sufjan is a bit overrated if you ask me, but he is a talent.

He's talking about Donald Trump right?

you mean j tillman is nice in person (how could you have been able to tell when everything he does is ironic and sarcastic?) father john misty a fucking stage-name

psh, tillman and robin peckold were never close, he didn't contribute original shit to Fleet Foxes, that's mainly Robin and iirc his childhood best friend who plays the mandolin

why do these new age objectively untalented cash cow puppets think they have to insert morals into their cookie cutter personality and careers?

you make shitty ironic satire folk music for college kids that watch jon stewart and colbert report.. you are a talentless caricature, you don't have the right to "take a stand" against anything

yeah true tillman is nice. But I still like the fjm character soon or later the p4k fanbase is gonna turn on him when they can't tell if hes being ironic or sincere
we need more performance Artist like him.

who has the right to speak their mind then?

Nah it;s about Black Lives Matter, he hates them.

so you judge people solely on the media they consume.

do you have testicles?

intelligent people

>not understanding irony
wew lad

we need more performance artists? really? first off he isn't an "artist", he hasn't made anything worth being considered "art", he's only made 2 boring folk albums and been called a sex symbol by an online SJW corporate-run magazine

that's vague

>2016
>people still think irony and satire is funny

sex symbol lol where?
I'm only basing him off the few interviews I've heard and seeing him live.

What do you even find funny?

baiting people online

>He then retracted the experimentation phase

Huh? This isn't a thing.

There's about 1000 other non-AoA projects Suf did in between Illinois and C&L that shaped those releases. I'm not even that into him but the career narrative you just gave is completely pulled out of your ass.

Wow. Me too.

>I can comfortably view this set as a kind of performance art, and in that respect it was fascinating to watch.

>everything he does is ironic and sarcastic

>we need more performance Artist like him.

uhm no. he just said fuck you to all those people.

if you are a music artist your concert ticket is a is a very simple contract with your fans. you are supposed to play at least an hour , hopefully consisting of enough of the "big" songs or batch of totally "new" songs that are of the same quality and everyone leaves happy.

anyways what you don't do is rip the contract up at the very last minute, even andy kaufman would've understood that.

>think they have the right to insert morals into "take a stand" against anything

He does, but this is not how you do it. you honor the contract with your fans and then you also say bold opinions and possibly change people's minds. he just attempted career suicide

>le irony

m8 what fjm did is nothing
dean blunt starts out his sets in pitch black darkness with this being looped for 10minsyoutube.com/watch?v=09ZeMEAnt-M
it's his show he can do whatever he wants.

just a bunch of word salad with no relation to anything in particular, e.g. almost any kind of political/social commentary by musicians. fuck off you stupid cunt, either play your pop music or fuck off the stage.

nah bro he's so in tune with societal shit and stuf!!

How did he struggle to find his feet? Age of Adz sold and was received well while C&L even more so

Also
Is completely right

>Tillman was a member of the most important folk band in the 21st century

I hate people like you. I would punch you in the nose.

"Fuck this guy and his satirical reddit-tier music, because that's not what fucking music is for ITS FOR TECHNICALITY AND COMPOSITION AND AMAZINGLY FAST GUITAR SOLOS RAR"

You're gay. Eat a dick.

I Love You Honeybear is fan fucking tastic and you have no taste.

He never appeared on a fleet foxes record, he was in their touring band for a time

Why is it bad for people to comment on current events? Why do you want to live in ignorance? Why do you want to sit there and pretend nothing is going on? Why do you want to sit there and pretend music has no place in commenting on society or culture as a whole?

I don't fucking get people that hate on FJM for being "satirical" or "critical". He's right on a lot of the themes he brings up in his music.

I know exactly why this happens. You associate fan bases with musicians, and you assume every single person who likes FJM is a pseudo-intellectual 18 year old college freshman and you let it get in the way of actually listening to his music for what it is. Which is absolutely fucking retarded. People who let a fan base determine what they think of the music an artist creates are the most shallow and ignorant type of people.

As much as I hate both Father John Misty and Kanye West, you fucking faggots have sucked Kanye's dick when he pulled even more inane shit like this. Remember that time he ranted about Nike for half an hour at a festival? You retards were apologetic as fuck for that shit.

I would be pissed if I paid to see FJM and he pulled this shit, but don't pretend this is any worse than Kanye or any of your other dumb retarded Sup Forums-core musicians pulling the same shit.

They didn't pay specifically for FJM though, it was a festival.

Tillman is GOAT, he just plays the ass online and you all keep falling for it. ILYH is an incredible record regardless of how he acts.

So, you don't pay to see any actual artists at festivals? I've been doing it wrong the whole time.

Which festivals do you blindly choose to go to?

>Why do you want to sit there and pretend nothing is going on?
most of the people in the world do it everyday, calm down, dickhead

>Why is it bad for people to comment on current events?
it isn't, just make sure you know what you're talking about and don't make surface level obvious observations

I don't even like FJM but you're a fucking moron for thinking there's some standard people need to meet before they can express their views
I pray you're being ironic with your idiocy

it isn't bad for people to comment on current events, what's bad is a fucking indie folk musician talking about politics at a live show which people paid to see him play his pop music. rock stars and pop musicians never have anything insightful, or relevant, or interesting to say the vast VAST majority of the time. it's not about pretending nothing is going on, it's about the fact nobody needs to hear this bearded hipster fuck talk about it because he has nothing of value to contribute.

if you want criticism read somebody who knows what the fuck they're talking about. if you want folky pop music then listen to Father John Misty.

>I only listen to real music
Jesus Christ.

You guys are way too ass pained about this, especially not being fans of Father John Misty.

Oh okay, so basically he has no insight to anything other than pop music so he needs to shut the fuck up and play pop music I guess huh?

Art is largely a vehicle for statements on the world around you. Don't like it? Don't go to shows, or listen to music. It's inherent to the medium, deal with it.

Clearly the only people allowed to discuss what's going on in the world are Fox News pundits and politicians, or perhaps you know, economic advisors and financial aids. Only the professionals. If you don't have a degree in the field you're talking about you need to shut the fuck up. Okay? You got that punk? Fuck off with your pseudo-intellectual garbage. I attended Stanford University as an undergraduate and transferred to ECPI's upper graduate program. I know what I'm talking about. I have the degree to prove it. This hipster fuck has opinions that aren't worthy of sharing because he's a faggot and I say so.

>he has no response
>u mad bro
Kanyefags are so retarded.

It's just post retro irony, you guys wouldn't get it. I already have tickets for his next show.

this is literally an opinion you idiot

You quoted my response and proceed to say I have no response and then SOMEHOW make the connection to me being a "Kanyefag" when I made no mention of him? Did you quote the wrong post or what?

>concert ticket is a contract with your fans
>supposed to play at least an hour
>hopefully everyone leaves happy.
>what you don't do is rip the contract up
>you honor the contract with your fans

You're an idiot.

Agreed.

He isn't a professional musician and therefor has no right to critique the way he performs, or chooses not to perform. He's clearly uneducated on the matter because he's a hipster faggot.

You responding to my post about how people let Kanye off for the same thing with "hurr durr people didn't pay to see FJM," and when I asked who the fuck do people pay for when they see festivals you called me asspained.

Clearly you're either a spastic retard or a retarded kanyefag who is pretending "I don't even like like Kanye West!"

>He isn't a professional musician and therefor has no right to critique the way he performs

???

Or perhaps you're confusing two separate posters as being one person?

Regardless, FJM reserves the right to do whatever he sees fit with his performance and reputation. Fuck off, idiot. Also, there's no defending Kanye. I love his music but yes, he does retarded shit sometimes.

Then perhaps you shouldn't have responded to my post, retard?

You literally quoted my fucking post twice.

I guess you really are just a spastic retard.

Still waiting for you to defend your HURR DURR ITS A FESTIVAL NO ONE PAID TO SEE FJM argument.

I never said no one paid to see FJM, I was saying there are plenty of other artists they probably paid to see. Not exclusively FJM. If you're buying a ticket to a festival to see one artist, you're retarded.

And again, FJM reserves the right to do whatever he will with his performance and reputation. Soooo stay mad, faggot.

Because fuckwit who didn't say anything that an edgy sixteen year old in high school couldn't have also said

This

And you care because? Maybe it's not so much about WHAT he is saying, but the principle of the idea? He's an artist that satirizes US culture through Americana stylings and he's essentially saying he's fed up to the point he can't even satirize it anymore because he feels things have gotten so fucked up. Anyway, I don't see why you're so upset bro. If you don't like Father John Misty why don't you just not pay attention to him? Why are you wasting energy getting pissed off about this?

But people choose festivals based on specific artists. Hell, many people get most excited for certain artists on certain days. At some fesitvals with multiple stages, you choose one artist over another.

So if your favourite artist was playing at a festival and they just came on stage and farted in the microphone for 30 minutes, you wouldn't give a shit? You'd continue with this asinine HURR DURR IT'S A FESTIVAL IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT THE ARTISTS DO argument?

Also funny how now you're not pretending to be two different people anymore, kek.

>you are supposed to play at least an hour
It's a fucking festival, they get like 40 minutes tops unless they're one of the headliners

I was never "pretending" to be anything man. It was a misunderstanding. Why are you trying to be so patronizing and demeaning for absolutely no reason? Do you need a hug? Are you lonely?

>Oh okay, so basically he has no insight to anything other than pop music so he needs to shut the fuck up and play pop music I guess huh?
pretty much, maybe he can talk about politics in his home though.
father john misty is not a political musician and his music is not a vehicle for political rhetoric. if he's going to spout bullshit and end his fucking set then I won't like it, or go to his shows, or listen to his music. I can still criticize him, though.

And to answer your question about if my favorite artist came out and farted in a mic for 30 minutes, I'd probably be upset. Yes. But that's not what FJM did now is it?

You can criticize him for it, sure. Just not sure why you'd want to waste the time and energy to continue bitching about it and calling him out on it, especially if it's making you upset.

>I know exactly why this happens. You associate fan bases with musicians, and you assume every single person who likes FJM is a pseudo-intellectual 18 year old college freshman and you let it get in the way of actually listening to his music for what it is
The whole point is HE DIDNT PLAY MUSIC AND RANTED INSTEAD. While his fanbase sat there watching going "what the fuck". There is no fucking way you genuinely believe this interpretation that you are putting forth.

>online
This was something that happened in the real world. You READ about it online. I'm not sure how this is confusing for you...

I agree with the general idea of this comment. Obviously everyone is allowed to have their views, but it pisses me off when celebrities think they are qualified to chime in on political issues. Why the fuck should we take them seriously? Their role is to make music or act or whatever, I don't give a single fuck about their political views, nor should anyone else.

user

bitching about pointless dumb shit is one of the great joys in life

embrace it

I don't really get this sentiment, the whole point of american politics is the concept that political power derives from the citizenry. It's every U.S. citizen's duty to have a political opinion, you don't get relieved of that responsibility just because you're a doctor or musician or plummer.

... which is not to say that I think it's cool to rant instead of playing music, but I have no problem with celebrities who are politically active on Twitter for example

I gotta ask. Everyone who is getting pissed off here...were you at the show? If not... Why the fuck does it matter? So what, are fans of FJM supposed to hate him now? Is that your end goal?

I had never heard of the man before this event. But fuck him for this, fuck DOOM for the doompostor stunts, and basically fuck all performers who dick over their fans.

There's a huge irony to your question though... we're posting on a fucking internet forum, and you're questioning whether the expression of our opinions is worthwhile. This fucker pulled this shit in a totally different context and yet somehow he's MORE justified in spewing his bullshit opinions than we are?

By the way he did play music. He played 10 minutes of improv and then proceeded to play a cover song.

That's the part you're forgetting.

>He then performed a 10-minute improvised piece which reportedly referenced current events, the battleship, drones, and the song’s length. Then, he covered Leonard Cohen’s “Bird on a Wire,” told the crowd he loved them, and walked off stage, cutting his set short.

It's not like he literally said "Fuck this gay Earth" and walked off stage.

I mean, I'm not saying your opinion isn't worth anything but you're sitting here saying you'd never even heard of the guy and you're mad because he ranted a little bit on stage? As for DOOM, I thought the Doompostor stunts were hilarious and it totally goes in line with the Villain aspect of his character.

This is what all of you deserve for championing such mediocrity. The man knows he can't hack it live compared to the greats, and he'll take your money until you realize it too.

This!

FJM is such a faggot holy shit
he's like the last remnant of the redditcore bearded hipster, waiting for him to fuck off already so his species will be extinct.

I like Father John Misty.

This is embarrassing.

If you like him so much why don't you marry him?

Another Sup Forums edgelord come to destroy their least favorite artist's anus~!

He isn't wrong though user. Entertainment, at least in the mainstream, is literally dumbing people down. It's beyond help, nearly completely without substance.

Suffy is good you asshole

But yeah FJM is being a real tool right now. Hell be fine

Neither of those shows are on tv anymore user

respond to this post

FJM is hardly my least favorite artist, i just think he's a bitch.

My personal opinions aside, why have this rant at a live show and not in an interview or press conference or something? Those people came to you to hear I Love You Honeybear, not a guy commenting on the state of modern America

>the mediocre Age of Adz
pleb spotted

i'm gay

They are literally in the same tier though. Lots of similarities, esp between FJM and Suf

wtf i hate polar bearos now

Kek. Love this comment and all the butt hurt it is causing here with all the air head faux hippy libshits who post on Sup Forums. You are 100% correct and it's rustling some jimmies.

Worse than both grimes and car seat headrest combined.

this guy is the biggest douche of all time

>a member of the most important folk band in the 21st century

Reminds me of bands that hollywood celebrities like to seem "indie"