How do you feel about NASA?

How do you feel about NASA?

i like space

front for military research

One of the most important organizations on Earth

Space is neat.

Waste of taxpayers money tbqhwyf

Useless piece of shit agency lying to everyone and especially american tax payers by not revealing the truth.

>HUGE NASA ANNOUNCEMENT PRESS CONFERENCE THIS FRIDAY AT 10ET
>''Nice! Awesome finally NASA is going to reveal something useful!''
>Friday
>''Alright so we NASA announce that, with the help of our billions of USD sophisticated devices in space, found a few trace of cosmic dust leading us to believe that there might have been something that could have one time in the history of the Cosmos, spawned something that could have provided means for unicellular life forms somewhere, however everything suspicious you see on the imagery of the rover currently on Mars is most likely weird shaped rocks or simply shadows''

Real life is not Star Trek.

tresh

breddy cool 2bh

sadly americans don't give a shit about nasa

I'd like to work there.

stop spending money on your already retardedly scary army and start funding nasa again you faggots

They're pretty decently funded now and private companies/Russian pack mules have been handed off routine LEO launches.

Foreigners (including Russians) can get hired for civilian missions, ofc not military ones.

We need to rebuild it so we can conquer space and destroy the aliens

I'd like to work for NASA tbqh famalam think I'm too dumb for it though.

Crap

i want to work for nascar but have 0 qualifications

>stop spending money on your already retardedly scary army

They need even more funding desu, especially that they need to give us nuclear weapons.

nascar?

the cars that goes in ovals

NASCAR has many positions within its organization.

I want to work for WRC. But I don't have such a skill.

waste of money.
should be spent in ways for the kids of U.S. to be less fat and stupid.

TOP KEK

does NASCAR need any qualifications though? I mean all you gotta do is drive and turn left.

such is life japan bro.
I would work for f1 or WRC but I think too prestigious and hard to get into
I understand but most need qualifcations of some sort, especially if foreigner as ofcourse they would rather get some american local first

I think it's a bit, I dunno, silly desu, but we spend a little over 35x what we spend on NASA on war, so I'm not so upset.

made me laugh

do you even need to turn? i thought the banking will make you turn?

If I got US citizenship could I work in your secret projects?

Beats me.

i'm proud of NASA, really smart guys

62 orbital launches worldwide this year and no failures except a Chinese launch last August. This has been the best record since 1989.

i liek spess

>still believing the globe earth meme
the earth is flat and nasa is full of jews who pocket your tax money. it's physically impossible to leave the atmosphere

Doesn't the Facebook satellite thingie count?

No because it blew during a Pre Flight Readiness Firing (PFRT). The actual launch was intended for two days later, and this was apparently the first time an orbital US launch vehicle exploded during a PFRT since the Atlas-Able disaster in 1959.

The Atlas-Able disaster didn't have the satellite or third stage on the rocket when the ill-fated test run happened while AMOS-6 was on. I guess nowadays they don't have much fear of an accident destroying the payload like they would have had in the 50s-60s.

wow

They got rid of those POS NK-33 engines in the Antares now. Who the actual fuck thought flying 40 year old rocket engines purchased from Ukraine was a good idea?

>Estonian """""""intellectuals"""""""

The NK-33s were designed for an improved N-1 that never flew. After the Cygnus accident, they went and examined the whole stock of engines they had and found loads of manufacturing defects especially metal missing from the turbopump shafts.

Read about the N-1. The whole thing was a comedy of errors from start to finish. Terrible quality control, political infighting, trying to send a guy to the Moon on 20% of NASA's budget, etc, etc.

And time. Kennedy put the US on the goal of landing on the Moon by the end of the 60s in 1961. The Soviet manned lunar program wasn't officially green-lighted by Moscow until 1964. One reason for the delay was that Khrushchev was unnerved by the cost of such an undertaking and also at first he believed Kennedy was just bluffing.

It might have succeeded had Korolev not died.

In all honesty, Korolev's skills as an engineer and manager are significantly overstated. He made a lot of pretty bad mistakes, one of them being his stubborn as hell resistance to hypergolic rocket propellants. The upper stages that OKB-1 developed like the Blok L would have been significantly more reliable had they not used LOX/RP-1.

Also, Korolev's attempts at developing military missiles were all complete failures and he incurred the wrath of the Strategic Rocket Forces to the extent that they demanded he be sacked as OKB-1 chief. This might have happened were it not for Khrushchev's expulsion. Even so, Korolev had the planetary probe program taken away from him in 1965 when it had been almost six years since there had been any success at all with it. They found that the Venera probes as designed by OKB-1 would not have survived the descent into the Venusian atmosphere after a quick centrifuge test (Korolev had only ever performed centrifuge tests on the manned spacecraft).

Among other things, Korolev did not want to bother with ground testing anything; his philosophy was just "launch and pray".

I love the concept of space travel but I hate redditors complaining about whenever someone suggests cutting NASA funding. There are more important things than that.

>political infighting

Ah yes, Korolev and Glushko famously did not get along because the latter had ratted him out to the NKVD in the Great Purge.

That's probably not true because Glushko was arrested three months before Korolev. Even so, Korolev must have believed it or at least resented how Glushko merely got sent to a penal science facility and was working on projects throughout WWII while he got sent to a labor camp and almost died.

The Wikipedia page on the N-1 lists the failure causes for the flights, but it's probably inaccurate as, in their infinite wisdom, the Soviet space program assigned the task of investigating failures to the design bureau responsible for the component suspected of causing the failure. The end result of this was that the Kuznetsov Bureau (naturally) exonerated their engines and instead blamed every other component in the N-1 for malfunctioning. The final cause of the N-1 failures in each case was a compromise agreed to for political reasons and Boris Chertok's memoirs have what are probably the most accurate account on what went wrong.

When we find aliens I want to join the xeno breeding program

I love them for successfully landing a man on the moon, and for developing space travel.
(We also have to thank Russia for the latter).
they have transformed humanity.

But know, It's like they're disappearing.
It's sad, desu

Deserves at least 1% of the federal budget.

Glushko in the end outlasted all his rivals and developed the Zenit and Energia boosters which finally employed a correct, orderly, scientific approach to rocket development instead of slapping crap together in a week and hoping it flies.

It's grossly underfunded.

The Soviet space program was marred by intrigues and scheming worthy of Shakespeare. Ironically, the US program had been in a similar situation in the 50s, with the different branches of the military proposing rival space/missile programs and generally trying to stab each other in the back. It took the panic over Soviet space successes to get everyone to work together.

Doing god's work.

For example, the Army were committed to battlefield nukes carried on mobile missiles like Redstone while the Air Force favored long range ballistic missiles. And not all of the Air Force either; Curtis LeMay, in charge of the bomber fleet, considered missiles to be toys and useless in practice.

The N-1 had super-chilled propellants to get more fuel into the stages and it's suspected that the propellant feed lines used a grade of steel that couldn't handle the temperatures.

The KORD computer in the rocket was also a total piece of shit; it malfunctioned badly on the first two launches and had to be redesigned. For one thing, it operated at the same clock frequency the engines vibrated at (!). They also later coated it with asbestos for fireproofing reasons.

The installed NK-15 engines were not adequately tested. They just fired 1-2 of them, assumed the whole batch worked, and slapped them in the first stage. After the second N-1 launch, they examined all of the NK-15s and found tons of horrible quality control defects in them including metal shavings and faulty welds. A turbopump sucking in metal debris can explode.

No it isn't, taxes should not be going towards government officials playing with space toys.

I know, I know. We should spend all that money on giving free AIDS medication to those wonderful gays.

One of the few things America should be proud of tbqh.

But we are colonize mares XD didn't interstellar teach you anything?!

No, preferably it shouldn't leave the pockets of the people it was originally taken from (metaphorically, of course)

First N-1 launch: A few seconds after liftoff, a short circuit caused the KORD to shut down two engines. POGO oscillation from this then ruptured propellant lines and started a fire in the thrust section. This burned through control wiring and caused the KORD to issue a general shutdown command to the first stage 68 seconds after launch. The rocket fell to the ground, but the escape system pulled the Soyuz capsule to safety.

Second N-1 launch: One turbopump exploded from ingesting debris, causing a fire that burned through control wires. Once again, the KORD terminated thrust in all engines except the #8 one, which continued operating for reasons unknown. The booster fell back onto the pad and flattened in the mother of all rocket explosions. The Soyuz capsule again was rescued by the LES.

Third N-1 launch: An uncontrolled roll maneuver started shortly after launch that exceeded the ability of the flight control system to compensate. The KORD had been locked this time and could not terminate thrust until 50 seconds after launch so as to prevent another pad fallback. Eventually the third stage broke off the second stage and fell to the ground. At T+50 seconds, the shutdown command was unblocked and terminated first stage thrust. The first and second stages fell to the ground. There was no LES on this booster and it had only a boilerplate Soyuz capsule.

Fourth N-1 launch: The booster was heavily instrumented this time and had filters and other modifications in the fuel system. Also the centermost first stage engines were to be throttled down at around 40 seconds to reduce aerodynamic loads on the stack. Unfortunately, this caused excessive vibration that ruptured propellant lines and started a fire. The first stage exploded and the upper stages fell to earth intact. The Soyuz capsule again was saved by the LES.

Any of these could doom any rocket, but everything's come a long way since the 1960s. A lot of the early Atlas/Titan/Thor, etc launches also failed for similar reasons of sloppy quality control and poor engineering judgement.

The problem with the NK-15 engines is that they couldn't test the actual flight articles because they used valves that were opened or closed with pyrotechnics instead of hydraulic or pneumatic power, which meant that after a test run, the valves were permanently welded shut and could not be used again. Apparently this was a scheme borrowed from the GR-1 FOBS system and used on N-1 for weight saving reasons.

So they'd just test a couple NK-15s out of a batch and if they worked, ship the rest of the lot to Baikonur (out of every six engines, two were expended in testing). For comparison, all Saturn V engines were run at full flight duration three times prior to being approved for use.

more organizations that want to participate in race to mars can only benefit humankind. So yeah im ok with nasa

The N-1 had more first stage thrust than Saturn V but quite a bit less lift capacity. Saturn V could place 120 tons of payload in LEO while the N-1 was limited to 95 tons.

Another problem was that they were far from testing a complete N-1/lunar Soyuz configuration. The second stage hadn't been tested yet and the whole thing had a total of five rocket stages plus two spacecraft each with their own propulsion and other systems. And these were basically dummies on the first three launches. True, the Blok D stage had already been flown on Proton and LOK was closely related to Zonds 4-6, but it was still far from complete.

It would have taken at least 20 launches to man-rate the N-1 and they just didn't have the time, budget, or political will for that.

Yes
t.Ghost of Werner Von Braun
Yeah memory foam, cochlear implants, fuel cells, scratch resistant lenses, insulin pumps, CCDs, aircraft anti-icing systems, etc. are all worthless and of no use to mankind.

t est

if it was for military research they would recieve a decent amount of tax money

>t. Brexit

>Third N-1 launch: An uncontrolled roll maneuver started shortly after launch that exceeded the ability of the flight control system to compensate. The KORD had been locked this time and could not terminate thrust until 50 seconds after launch so as to prevent another pad fallback. Eventually the third stage broke off the second stage and fell to the ground. At T+50 seconds, the shutdown command was unblocked and terminated first stage thrust. The first and second stages fell to the ground. There was no LES on this booster and it had only a boilerplate Soyuz capsule

This was apparently due to swirling eddies and counter-currents around the base of the booster, an unanticipated design flaw and the one N-1 malfunction that better QC wouldn't have caught.

He could be a mechanic or engineer or some shit.

It is an enormous credit to the Americans, whatever its failings an institution truly working fior the advancement of mankind.

this is the thread where americans hone their skills for historical revisionism ;)

This isn't historical revisionism or the fact that the US is the only country to successfully land a probe on Mars.

Nothing was ground tested. Even the tanks were shipped in parts, welded on site and used. They didn't had a dynamic test stand, the NK-15 used munition acceptance testing (I think it was 3/8 rather than 2/6). And it didn't had economic nor performance reserved. They originally pretended to do with a 80 ton to LEO rocket, and then they had to increase it to 95. Which was still insufficient.

The N-1 was an example of how not to manage a project from a system engineering POV. They started with the rocket, rather than the payload. They didn't had the minimum budget nor schedule reserves. They didn't had any small demonstrator project. They did away with the ground validation and testing, both for the design and for each flight vehicle. Mishin went with the most complex system possible. And they were used to that because Korolev had been a genius and had had some luck. He died mid-project and their lucky streak run out. That's as short as I can state it.

Conflict was one of the problems with in the Soviet space program.

Glushko and Korolev didn't exactly see eye-to-eye on issues such as use of cryogenic propellants and hypergolics. One big issue the Soviets had was they never were able to solve combustion instability issues for large rocket engines. Glushko's solution was in the end for the RD-170 was to just use four smaller chambers.

Probably Korolev's biggest failing was that he attempted to take on way more projects than his limited staff could handle and stubbornly refusing to hand them over to other agencies. One example was the Zond L-1 manned circumlunar program. Khrushchev had taken this away from OKB-1 and reassigned it to Chelomei's OKB-52, but Korolev later talked Brezhnev into giving it back. Even some of his own staff thought that it was like tilting at windmills.

-

Currently working on my physics degree.
I'll try to make it into NASA. Wish me luck.

You aren't too dumb. You just need training and perseverance.

> korolev was an utter failure

lol k m8

I would love to work there

i hate america

Good luck bruh. IWish I could too but I can't do shit with my chemistry degree

bump

your shitposting is making your whole country look bad

Not as bad as Panamanigger.

trips for thruth

The Lavochkin Bureau (OKB-301) performed centrifuge tests on Venera probes and found that they disintegrated at only half the Gs they were expected to withstand.

Dr Pavel I'm NASA

Do mankind a favor and blow your brains out.

Given the small size of the Soviet lunar module against the Apollo LM, they certainly couldn't have done a whole lot on the Moon except take a few photos and collect some dust.

there's a lot more to nascar than driving and turning left

i wouldn't mind colonizing a mare~

>UNITET STATES
>UNITET
>TET