Post Rock is a dumbass term and we should stop using it

It's a pretentious, mindlessly thrown around phrase that doesn't mean anything and doesn't describe the albums it's supposed to. Just putting Experimental Rock along with whatever the main genre is would work for things like Spiderland (post-hardcore, math rock) and Sigur Ros (dream/ambient pop, shoegaze maybe?), and all the shitty Godspeed ripoffs can be labeled Crescendocore. Godspeed and maybe Swans are the only bands deserving the post rock label imo and you're a pleb if you disagree

Other urls found in this thread:

abrsm.org/forum/index.php?showforum=1
youtube.com/watch?v=0FS-eN6xx44
youtube.com/watch?v=x9gur-GBNFE
youtube.com/watch?v=sAnc3g1D6dA
youtube.com/watch?v=1S6E7XeZqaE
youtube.com/watch?v=36h4oQTRm1I
youtube.com/watch?v=ZQjwBlNAUgg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Mama Mia!

I don't quite think it's pretentious, but I do think it's stupid and far too nebulous.

I agree, but still post-rock is useful today when you consider the number of bands that still plays rock'n'roll, all based on riffs, when Post-Rock is on the other side.

>Godspeed and maybe Swans are the only bands deserving the post rock label imo and you're a pleb if you disagree
>not talk talk
ayy

yeah I forgot about them, they deserve it too

>Godspeed and maybe Swans are the only bands deserving the post rock label imo and you're a pleb if you disagree
lol

Add Talk Talk and he isn't wrong.

So just call it riffless rock or atmorock.

You know like how in black metal we've got "post-black metal" which is actually just very wimpy atmoblack.
well by this logic post-rock is just atmorock.

"no"
Tortoise, Disco Inferno,Bark Psychosis,Moonshake,Long Fin Killie, Aerial M are just a few who make music just as good as swans, godspeed and talktalk

lol never change Sup Forums

always had that thought at the back of my head honestly

although 10/10 would fall for it again...

a term referring to any style of music can be regarded as pretentious. this is because music is a form of art, and interpreted by those who enjoy it in different ways.
a loose term to classify any music is generally only useful for those who either pretend care about what types of music they listen to in order to sound cool to other people, or for people who use such categorisations for their own personal reference. additionally, personal reference can be a tool aiding exploration of similar artists and styles and expanding knowledge.

sigur ros is post rock? or girlcore? i checked last.fm but i couldn't work out what it is - help me am i pretentious?

ROCK
~METAL
~PUNK
~INDIE/ALT

If you use anything more than those you are a certified autistic asshat

>anyone in this thread suggesting any particular music isn't worthy of being called post-rock

if you only use these classifications, you just use the default classifications itunes adds for you, and you're on the wrong board

add shoegaze and progressive rock and you'd be fine tbf.

>using iTunes
>being so autistic you use a different label for each time the geetah is strummed at a different speed

This is the site for you

abrsm.org/forum/index.php?showforum=1

shoegaze is just shitty indie/alt

>prog
Yes

>shoegaze
LMAO

It's not a genre, it's just a term that retarded music journalist used and it stuck, unfortunately for everyone.

Post rock is simply experimental rock.

He's not wrong. Shoegaze is literally alt/indie-rock by Brits who stared at their shoes more to use pedals. It doesn't deserve a new fucking genre label.

Kek get a load of this guy

>post-rock is experimental rock
wew

see

Prog is an adjective, you have Prog Rock, Prog Punk, Prog Pop etc

If u use indie as a genre you are a complete faggot

Prog house, prog breaks, prog trance

>post rock is a dumb ass term
>advocates crescendocore
nigga

third wave post rock is crescendo core, pleb

Then what am I supposed to call it? Wimp rock? cause that's what it sounds like.

Be honest how many of the bands that that user listed have you listened to?

>not only having the dumb subgenre label
>thinks there are 3 waves of it

Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit I'm guessing.

>linguistic prescriptionism
go away

it's commonly understood, definitely does describe a well-defined sound, it's a valid genre even if it's derogatory (see also: brostep)

>i don't like thing therefore thing doesn't exist

Yup
Art is also an adjective
You have Art Rock, Art Punk, Art Pop
Experimental is also an adjective

just because listen to the same three meme artists of the genre it doesnt mean that im not right, you probably never even heard any of the bands ive posted

When you know the person who posted this lolol whats up my minneapolis buddy

>I hate this term
>Lets replace it with an even more stupid term
People who live in flyover states should not be allowed to have opinions.

(you)

hey everyone look how cool and nonchalant this guy is

(you)

Not him but feigning indifference is better than sincerely being butthurt over genre terms like post-rock

post rock with rapping. it will happen.

This has to be bait.
Explosion In The Sky.
Talk Talk.
Evpatoria Report.

It already exists
a p good Korean post rock band had a song with rapping on their latest album

That is already The World Is A Beautiful Place And We Don't Have Any Talent.

someone sounds triggered

Explosions In The Sky is garbage, OP added Talk Talk to the list and nobody's ever heard of Evpatoria Report

autism triplets

Casper - XOXO

@66622906
someone is mad

I still don't get why math rock bands like Foals and And So I watch you from afar are still considered post-rock. They're completely different from GYBE and EITS

i still have some (you) for you

Dear, 66622920

'no'

Sincerely

>math rock bands like Foals

>someone sounds triggered
Not really, I like making fun of this band, the jokes write themselves.

rough day on Sup Forums

they are math rock. Wikipedia told me that. Also I mention them once in a while because Yannis is my husbando.

>Explosions In The Sky is garbage
Completely irrelevant. The band still exists. OP is wrong.

Rock n Roll
Pop
Metal
Rap
Jazz

If you use anything more than those you are a certified autistic asshat

inb4
>muh folk
>muh classical
>muh post avant-garde concrete

Also it's Hip Hop, Rap is the vocals

>Also it's Hip Hop
Like I said
>If you use anything more than those you are a certified autistic asshat

well played

>Also it's Hip Hop, Rap is the vocals

you don't know shit about post-rock outside the 5 most popular bands/albums.

GY!BE (and its sideprojects) and Swans have one of the most obnoxious fanbases ever, they're the low-brow equivalent of their genre and Swans is arguably not post-rock.

Anyone that divide post-rock into waves or name GY!BE in any "best" list ever just doesn't know shit about the genre, it's like saying that you know about classical music because you like Bethoven and Mozart.

Kranky Records got a fuckton of influental and more experimental post-rock releases from the 90s (Labradford, Tarentel, Stars of the Lid, Magnog, etc).

Here's a list of less-popular patrician post-rock bands people should try, not just LE GY!BE MAY MAY.

>Rachel's (post-rock heavily influenced by chamber music, key band of the Louisiana scene)
youtube.com/watch?v=0FS-eN6xx44

>The Sonora Pine (post-rock with some chamber music and folk influences, very unique, part of the Lousiana scene and shares members with Rachel's, June of 44, Rodan and Shipping News).
youtube.com/watch?v=x9gur-GBNFE

>Labradford (post-rock heavily influenced by ambient and drone, they were the heart and soul of Kranky Records in the 90s)
youtube.com/watch?v=sAnc3g1D6dA

>Don Caballero (post-rock/math-rock)
youtube.com/watch?v=1S6E7XeZqaE

>C-Clamp (fuse of post-rock, math-rock and slowcore, like mixing Labradford, American Football and Red House Painters)
youtube.com/watch?v=36h4oQTRm1I

>Pele (post-rock heavily fused with jazz and math-rock)
youtube.com/watch?v=ZQjwBlNAUgg

This shit is so good thank you so much for this spoonfeed user.

>it's another "don caballero is post-rock" post

aka "i just learned about post-rock yesterday": the post