Soundtracks For The Blind

>The reason why this album isn't popular is so we can try to ignore the fact that it basically destroys every album its put up against in terms of songwriting, production, emotion, atmosphere, tone, creativity, originality, intrigue, and detail, rendering every other album pointless.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mslDc9aadHc#
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's the greatest album ever made user. Its the logical conclusion to the album and the format as a whole

it's true
there is no longer point in listening to music

It's become my favorite album of all time. When you listen to this then put on something like the fucking Beatles you just have to laugh.

cant get into it sorry lads 0/500

There's so much collective emotions with the Beatles though.....when I read comments like this I just have to laugh

Its too sparse overall, not conceptually expansive, also not as sonically vast as its length implies

The Beatles, as much as I enjoy their music are the most overrated thing on planet earth. They aren't just the most overrated band, they are the most overrated thing to grace our planet. I'm familiar with their work, I've heard it all, but the love for them is just ridiculous it makes me laugh. "Muh collective emotions", go back to your liberal arts hugbox.

You must have listened to a different album

Its pretty much impossible to deny that theres tons of emotion invested in the Beatles
Its also pretty laughable that you thinks the Swans are the end all be all of music. These bands weren't event trying to achieve the same aesthetic. The Beatles want to you hang on their every note to build an emotional, Swans use repetition and dissonance to build emotional response. I only mentioned the Beatles because you did, so you can go on to your own "muh dissonant ambiance" hugbox
And as far as mentioning emotion in the first place....thats whats music is for, so your "liberal arts hugbox" comment is completely farcical and unintentionally hypocritical.

Soundtracks For The Blind is more or less my all time favorite album, adding up to Swans already being my favorite band.

The album while being colossal and intimidating at first is eerie and entrancing when listening for the first or tenth time, the feeling always stays there.

It's an extremely important album which will never see the recognition it deserves, unfortunately, but just shows that it is indeed a true gem, worth more than what most can really see.

weird, im listening to it and then i see this thread.
this is literally over a decade of work and it shows.

I honestly hope it doesn't become popular because if it did it would kinda kill the authentic found footage vibe it has

These days I doubt it'll be found by a greater majority of people, but it still deserves some sort of recognition, in all honesty.

All I really need is for pitchfork to give it a ten and I'll be satisfied kek

They probably won't because rape allegations

When is it being reissued anyway?

It'll never be popular, even among most people who say they love music. It's hard to get into for a lot of people I think, look at the first two tracks. I even wondered "is this the whole album?" And a little part of wanted to stop listening, up until helpless child hit and I nearly cried. It's just to inaccessible for a larger audience

oh yeah i heard it was gonna have a vinyl reissue which sounds awesome, probably gonna be like a 5xLP

I don't know when though

Be honest how would you feel if they gave it a 7.2 or something?

I literally do not understand the appeal of this album. I guess I understand it more than the appeal of the newer Swans albums, but nothing on Soundtracks is particularly amazing. In fact, post-rock as a genre is mostly just not good.

I think they didn't even featured It on their best of 90's list, and they haven't been very generous to their reissues. P4k is just retarded when it comes to Swans

This album is great but Volcano fuckin sucks

eh I dont care I'm just saying that them giving it a ten would give a bit more recognition but not too much

Volcano is so left field that its the most terrifying song on the album for me

damn you fucked him up

this basically.
Swans' sound is so vast and this just takes it somewhere that completely steps it up

May not have the cohesive ambient / drone sections that allow some of the longer tracks to segway into each other so seamlessly, but this is still superior.

Soundtracks for the Blind is popularly recognized as the superior rock album and multi-faceted cinematic experience and I think that's a fair assessment, but if you're talking strictly music, the recordings and reprised versions on Swans Are Dead blow SFTB out of the fucking water.

Swans as a brand entered godly territory in their final shows they performed together.

They are both equally solid albums

Their mutual disparity in structure and emotional through line makes it hard for me to equate them that way.

They do feature a lot of the same peak moments characterized by different versions of the same pieces, but presented and contextualized in almost a completely opposite manner. Not to mention the lack of interview bits / found sounds missing on Swans Are Dead.

They may go together because they were released at the same time, but they don't coexist.

Haven't listened to it yet, but I'm guessing it doesn't have the godly production that made sftb drony bits (my fav parts) so incredible, however it might be better for a different reason idk

the jarboe tracks in swans are dead are mostly garbage

You'd be correct in regards to the production, but it's about as good as it gets for an official live album.

I'm saying that it's superior in terms of content; production and mixing may have suffered as a consequence of nature of these recordings, but the performances themselves are so cathartic and intensely nuanced I doubt they could be repeated ever again.
The reprise of I Crawled is garbage? Lavender is garbage? Hot onion, man.

Fair enough desu

why are you guys always so angry

>well written response
>angry

Why are you guys always so retarded

I'm willing to say that it's the logical conclusion to NY Downtown music and "art rock".

Yeah except music doesn't work like that at all.

Is there any other music that sounds like the post rock songs from SFTB and Swans Are Dead? I've listened to loads of post rock but nothing has quite hit that spot yet.

Listen to the Gira side project body lovers/body haters if you havent already.
its pretty fucking good.

I agree op, it's like my favourite album ever after in a silent way

dont touch my kentridge faggot

>what's your favourite album user?
>A 2 hours and 20 minutes drone,ambient,spoken word, musique concrete, noise rock, postrock, punk and edm album
>ewww don't talk to me again

forgot pic

The reason it's not so popular is that it was released in 1996, before Danktony Memetano existed.
However, it is probably the most critically acclaimed Swans album.

I'm more of a fan of these Swans. This, White Light, and The Great Annihilator. Are there any other bands with a similar sound to these albums?

Listen to Angels of Light.

youtube.com/watch?v=mslDc9aadHc#

Sounds good man, thanks.

Soundtracks For The Blind evokes emotions that the Beatles have not even come close to. Just because every 5 year old to 100 year old with no musical exposure can enjoy the beatles it does not mean that the emotional response is somehow superior. Think of any other art form and imagine a piece of art that can be grasped completely by a third grader, do you think that anyone could consider it the greatest piece of all time?

if its that easy to do a the beatles' song, why aren't you rich?

holy shit this is some high-effort, well-executed bait. you deserve this reply, you earned it. im serious

>do you think that anyone could consider it the greatest piece of all time?

google top 10 albums or top 10 artworks and see for yrself

i dont like it =/= nobody likes it

I didn't say it was easy to make, just easy to grasp. In the sense that they are enjoyable across the board for people, they could be considered the greatest band I think. They had to be very talented to achieve what they did, I am not arguing that, just that nothing they made came close to stftb.

the beatles basically invented a lot of what pop-rock sounds like. their songs are also not very simple, just accessible, which is one of the most difficult things to pull off. This is like arguing that Banksy is infinitely better than Vermeer.

you can't judge the production of a hammer if you don't regularly produce hammers with your company

so is yr point that Swans are going for a different emotional pallet than the Beatles, cuz yr really sayin' nuthin' thats not blatently obvious there

i would completely disregard p4k

Yeah you are right. The emotions the beatles evoke are really nothing new is the main thing.

maybe because the beatles aren't new and their music was written 50 years ago?

>This is like arguing that Banksy is infinitely better than Vermeer.

so did you not see

>Think of any other art form and imagine a piece of art that can be grasped completely by a third grader, do you think that anyone could consider it the greatest piece of all time?

Their sound is better than other artists from that time, but it doesn't sound that different to me.

fav bands: Swans, Death Grips, Neutral Milk Hotel, sufjan stevens, The microphones, the list goes on!

It was like, half-bait half-truth

Scruffi no.

You're right about most of that stuff. But songwriting? No one should ever think that Swans were impressive for SONGWRITING

are you really suggesting that a third grader could COMPLETELY grasp most beatles songs? most adults can't completely grasp most beatles songs, part of what makes their songwriting so impressive is only revealed if you have some knowledge of theory and songwriting yourself, which most people don't.

no one asked to hear a list of fantano's classic reviews bud

hoping for a 20 year anniversary reissue