This thread is for question to all the musicians that browse Sup Forums

This thread is for question to all the musicians that browse Sup Forums.

How much does it it usually cost to get someone to produce a record?

And how easily can you get fucked over by a manager, and how can you avoid it?

Thanks in advance

Bump

It all depends on your genre and how big you are.

if your talking about a professional quality album by a producer with decent recognition, then 10,000 dollars over two weeks sounds about right. Mind you in this day and age you can always do it at home for practically free

But doesn't that take years of practice ? Or can it be learned quickly?

it takes practice...production requires experience, but it will also give you more understanding of your job as a musician..all in all, you should probably try to produce yourself (since it's cheaper), but your first material will probably sound like shit, just don't let that discourage you. also, even though it will sound crappy by professional standards, it will still be listenable if you have any knowledge about music and stuff like that, which will make it easier to promote your music.

the question is - would you rather pay big money to get the job done quickly (and right), or would you invest in learning a skill which could benefit you more in the long game?

Long game for sure

For me it's free bc I have thousands of dollars of equpment and years or experience and tutoring

It depends on what quality of music you want to make. For example, Rhythm guitar with singing over it is very easy to write and preform

then it all depends how much time you invest...i'm not sure about the money, but you can setup a decent starting home studio for basically nothing (depending on the genre you want to do). keep in mind that you can't produce high quality stuff, so don't get frustrated, and prioritize your expenses...for example, sound isolation can be quite expensive, but as a beginner you won't really need it, just find yourself a fairly quiet place where you can record.

good thing about home recording is that you can easily upgrade your studio, so get the basic stuff first, something that will help you learn recording, editing, mixing, so on, so on... learn from mistakes and be positive!

I will!

one last thing i would like to say, which i guess it's more of a personal preference...don't pay much attention to some magazine lists, articles and tutorials on how to do various stuff...i mean, it's a good read sometimes, just don't take it as absolute law or whatever. it will turn you into a drone who thinks he knows everything and his methods are perfect because he read it on some semi-pro site, meanwhile your sound will be bland. while some advice is useful, a lot of it is just opinions disguised as "the best way to make your vocals sound good", so basically, everything you read - take it with a grain of salt. the only way to get good and sound like yourself is by doing it, not reading what some dude who records local metal bands and never produced anything for himself thinks is the right way to go.

so, buy a mic or an external sound card, start recording and producing your songs, listen to it, try to hear what's wrong and what you would like to try to do with it, then scrap it if you're unhappy with it and start again. in time, you'll get the basics down, buy more equipment and with some luck you'll develop your "own" sound and methods.

how do i get my shit out there, i dont care about getting money for the time i put in or shit like that. i wanna see where stand

Honestly this is too broad of a question to get a solid answer. Are you one guy with a guitar trying to lay down some tracks you know solidly? Are you a 9 piece jazz group trying to capture some awesome improvisations? Studios are going to charge you by the hour, and price will vary wildly depending on the reputation of the studio. Mixing and mastering will be the same. As everyone else said, learning to do all this by yourself is well worth the effort, especially for someone who is trying to get their foot in the door. IMO best thing to do is learn to record yourself, and leave the mixing and mastering to a pro, which you can probably find a decent engineer to do for under $1000.

Managers I have absolutely zero experience with, but if you're at that point I would say getting a lawyer to look over any and all contracts is the only actual way to avoid getting fucked.

godin purple cow

too bad you dont have any talent

What this guy said 100%. Everything you read take as a recommendation, not a cold hard fact. There are way to many people out there who don't know shit, but will act like they do because they read something somewhere.

Depends on the artist. MBDTF cost millions to make.

>produced grimes, joanna newsom, anco, jason aldean
>no talent

wow someone's bar is ridiculously high

A good idea also would be to invest in some of those mixing and mastering books, ALSO learn midi. Those are really the only things you need if you want to get into things on a professional level

Read everything you possibly can, and don't forget there are textbooks written about this shit. I posted which comes off as anti-booklearning, but there is a huge difference between an actual published book (especially a textbook, not that I'm advocating piracy or anything wink wink) and internet articles about recording and mixing/mastering.

>How much does it it usually cost to get someone to produce a record?
Hundreds if not thousands of dollars for studio time.

>And how easily can you get fucked over by a manager, and how can you avoid it?
Very easily, picking a good manager is extremely important.

>How much does it it usually cost to get someone to produce a record?
It really depends. Could be anywhere between $1000 and several hundred thousand. You have to be more specific about what you want. These days though, anyone can produce their own music.
>And how easily can you get fucked over by a manager, and how can you avoid it?
Don't hire people you don't trust? Read before you sign? What the fuck do you need a manager for anyway? Are you flooded by business requests? Are you too busy with promotion, paperwork, legal issues to work? I don't think so.