Can anyone tell me what this board is about? Is this really general discussion of music...

Can anyone tell me what this board is about? Is this really general discussion of music, or a nuclear fucking toxic circlejerk shithole like Sup Forums?

it's a shithole

both

The former.

Can you help guide me on the general consensus here, like what genres/bands are appreciated and which aren't?

This place is SHITPOSTING: Musical Edition.

Sup Forums - Sh*t Sup Forums Says

look at the sticky

readers digest version:

meme bands that are important to know about bc everyone either loves or hates them or pretends to love or hate them: Neutral Milk Hotel, Death Grips, Kanye, Animal Collective, Grimes, probably a couple others but itll be REALLY obvious what they are.

people hate most of the stuff that's labeled "alternative" but still makes it into the mainstream, like 21 pilots, mumford and sons, that kind of stuff. not saying they're right or wrong, but that's the general consensus.

there will always be someone who loves the band you're posting about, and there will always be someone who hates them. that's the best thing to really know

A bit of both

This

If you're coming to Sup Forums to "fit in" then you're doing it wrong, because this place is full of different cliques, you'll find all the spectrum from people that discuss mainstream pop like taylor swift and shit to people that only listen to stuff with >10 plays on bandcamp.
I'd recommend looking at a "Sup Forumscore chart" and checking out some essentials.
Sup Forums is good for discovering music and discussing music but in general it's bad for broad music discussion because people can't ever fucking get along.

>using the word 'toxic' unironically
pls go and stay go, we don't need more of (((You))) around here

This board is actually good in comparison to many others on this site when you stay away from obvious bait and shit threads.

this

It's barely above Sup Forums in quality.

it's basically a Kid A, Madvillainy and Exmilitary circlejerk

and some Kanye here and there

Na mate Sup Forums is never good because Sup Forums only discusses new shit that everyone's seen or old shit that everyone's seen that's why every thread is gonna be filled with faggots and quality discussion will never happen.
This place is full of awefull threads but if you get a thread with like 6 people discussion some band or genre in particular they all like it's really good.
You could say this board is not very user friendly because it's hard to find the good stuff and that's why every newfag that gets here ends up being just another memer that shits up threads.

Sup Forums died when the concept of Sup Forumscore became a thing

Now we just circlejerk

And don't listen to this guy he's been here a month and has seen these albums a bunch so he think he knows shit and is above everyone else

>This place is full of awefull threads but if you get a thread with like 6 people discussion some band or genre in particular they all like it's really good.

you are aware that it's like that on almost every board?

Only blue ones.

A full spectrum of people on the spectrum.

yeah but idk I've frequented a lot of boards preety much all the "big" ones and imo good threads are never as good as Sup Forums's but the bad's are equally bad everywhere.
Except on Sup Forums when you find someone that also read that 6 issue comic from the 70's you've never been able to speak to anyone about

Stick to generals, stay clear of the main board.

a shithole, mostly destroyed by the montieboys

like 60% music discussion 40% shitposts
but some of the music threads are shit like "if an album was a dog what dog would it be"
most music discussion is about the same 150 or so albums, listen to albums that you see posted often and you can participate in almost any discussion
don't listen to tripfags, stay away from /daily/
most generals are pretty good

>This board is actually good in comparison to many others

Sup Forums is legitimately one of the worst boards on this website. Sharethreads are pretty much its only saving grace.

massive circle jerk but it mostly allows for good discussion rather than constant Sup Forums and Sup Forums autism from flooding the board

okay thre are 4 kinds of Sup Forums posters

>new fags
like yourself

>people that want to check out new music

they pretty much only lurk

>meme posters
they post p4k flavor of the month memes and fantano memes

>scaruffi fans/avant teens

basically hipsters on steroids

there are also Montie boys...

all of Sup Forums is a toxic circlejerk shithole (and so is most of the internet)

once you learn this you will be free from the troubles of this place

Better than Sup Forums I'd say. Varies a lot from thread to thread, like any other board, but there's some decent discussion and it's much easier to avoid the cancer than Sup Forums in my experience

This board is about discovering deep house and techno music in /bleep/ and sharethreads. Everything else is layers of padding to keep the copyright lawyers distracted

Sup Forums is only good for sharethreads.

the rest is just shitposting and people tossing their opinions at each other as if either one was more superior.