Why did no other YT music reviewer manage to take off?

Why did no other YT music reviewer manage to take off?

Because they are all terrible but Fantano embraced being a meme

Not enough memes

>implying this guy ever "took off"

no one knows him outside of Sup Forums

You may dislike fantano but you should not go around telling straight up lies

Dude he has 600K subs which is more than official Radiohead channel

Because they haven't consistently made videos since 2009.

Because death grips and swans user
>ywn get a strong 9 to 10 in your lifetime

You think Sup Forums has that many people? SOme of of his reviews have a lot of views.

TPAB has close to 2 million views I think, TLOP has a million too

Sup Forums made him popular then the normies continued

watched fantano years before browsing Sup Forums.
get ovah yerself

lmao he beefed with dj aaron ellis on twitter

I don't like him

He made a lot of content that people wanted to watch

dehh disagrees

I dont dislike him. I just never heard of him until I came to Sup Forums. And I'm heavily involved in a few different music scenes.

I guess I've never really payed much attention to reviewers though, prefer to make up my own mind if I like something or not, and discover new music by listening to albums in record stores or following the youtube rabbit hole.

Also fantano has never reviewed a classical album so he kind of exists outside my area of interest anyway

My normie friend "introduced" me to him because apparently I like all the same "weird" kind of music that Memetano likes.

I found out about mu from watching fantano

Fantano doesn't have that many subscribers though.

As YT goes, he's small fry.

thatistheplan >>>>>>>>>>>thememedrop

Wrong. I knew of him long before I came here.

Sup Forums is behind a lot of online personalities taking off

ie rlm, yms, jontron, etc

we gave fantano our backing and he created a monopoly

Same
I knew him for almost 3 years before coming to Sup Forums

Why would anyone have a beef with either of these guys, let alone the both of them? Seems like genuinely nice lads.

>album
>classical

Wrong entirely.

Lol at all the cucks acting like Sup Forums actually made fantano. This is great

if anything, Anthony probably did more for Sup Forums than anyone previously

his Hopelessness Blues featured on the front page of YouTube was definitely his big break

1. Spammed himself on Sup Forums in 2009/2010
2. Spammed for people to proxy vote for him in 2010 for YouTube spotlight
3. "Guise hes 1 ov us!!!!1!"
4. Used memes from the get go to keep up his Sup Forums userbase
5. Sup Forums userbase spammed him as an inside joke
6. Eventually broke the mainstream in 2011 by reviewing popular albums as a regular
7. People thought he was "ecletic" (funny as he only reviews p4kcore and TMT tier music)
8. Used even more memes to gain the "post-ironic" crowd
9. Engages in twitter battles and panders to both sides of the political spectrum for teenagers to gain more fans
10. Still spams himself online

Bonus: he has a hard neck and won't take no for an answer.

He was and always will be a vlogger / Sup Forumstant with a camera.

Also I'm waiting for many fantanodrones to angrily reply like they always do (some of which are probably Fartano samefagging).

love him or hate him, he used the tools we all have at our disposal and came through a winner.

My post wasn't discussing how it's not good (for him) that he made it, merely pointing out he's a scam artist. I'd trust that guy Mountie's opinion more than Fatano. Besides, unFitano has no formal education in music and it really shows when he tries to describe why he likes an album ("farty synths"), plus he can't take criticism back so he makes "ironic" music that's "intentionally" bad.

Whether you like him or not you cant really deny that he has helped "normies" expand their music taste and discover something that they might never find.

You do realize he had an audience even before making videos right?

I'm sure no reviewer will ever bat 100% as far as resonating opinions go, but he's trying at least.

Who knows, maybe down the road Anthony will have saved up enough to be able to afford to go to school for a musical education. If his heart is in the right place then it's only sure to help him become the full fledged critic his potential leads him to be

That's horseshite my dude, his only audience before hand were customers at the pizza store he worked in. College "newspapers" don't count as an audience. Before the YouTube spotlight he was getting 5k views at a max. thanks to Sup Forums / him spamming. Now he gets an average of 200k.

>but he's trying at least.

Yeah trying to appeal to the LCD i.e. those with latent interest in music.

>Who knows, maybe down the road Anthony will have saved up enough to be able to afford to go to school for a musical education. If his heart is in the right place then it's only sure to help him become the full fledged critic his potential leads him to be

He's too much of an egotist to do that. Fatano is a smart man from the way that he knows how to manipulate and he realises that the meme trend on the internet is dying so he bumped up the memes on his alt account to gain even more money so when the well dries up he won't have to go back to making pizzas like he should be.

Sup Forums probably makes up like 10-20% of that viewership and I think that's probably still too high. Trust me, majority of his viewers are normies

doseofbuckley has like 500 thousand subscribers and he does music reviews

>classical album
Oh boy

Yeah, he used to get like 3-5k views per video when he first started, which is a lot more than you make it sound. Coming from the right audience, it was enough to spread his channel around the web (Sup Forums, music blogs, etc.). Why do you think his popularity is some kind of a plot?...

>Sup Forums probably makes up like 10-20% of that viewership and I think that's probably still too high. Trust me, majority of his viewers are normies

Horseshite again my dude, it's even at this point (though only people on this board since 2013 still watch him). Up until the YouTube spotlight his viewship from Sup Forums was 95%+, up until 2014 it was around 60-70% and now it's about 40-50%.

He shuns Sup Forums as much as possible now as he no longer needs Sup Forums for views as even if he made a video of him fellating himself for ten minutes (not possible from the fat) it would still get 200k and people from outside of Sup Forums would still follow him. He's a vlogger with zero substance.

Big Quint

Hes just brainwashing us, open your eyes!!

I'm reminded of the Pauline epistle where the apostle addresses a Christian who was spreading the gospel to somehow spite Paul while he was in prison. That, even though this dude meant him ill, Paul was actually thankful the gospel was getting out there regardless of the motive.

Ultimately I don't know what's lying in his heart. The contents could very well be what you've been pointing out and I could possibly only be seeing his actions through rose tinted glasses after having been a fan for so many years. What I do know though is that people can have a change of heart and that greater miracles have happened so I'll continue to encourage his work with the hope that he'll only get better with time.

4k+ of which were from Sup Forums back when Sup Forums was worth a damn. His popularly is part of him spamming himself not through him having talent, fair play he's like any other PUA/ scammer, doesn't mean he's good though. Also don't use ellipses in a post in such a way as you're essentially saying "I'm taking the moral high ground even though I can't refute the other person" by doing so.

Does this board have enough people to make up 50% of his views?

>What I do know though is that people can have a change of heart and that greater miracles have happened so I'll continue to encourage his work with the hope that he'll only get better with time

And maybe he'll tell more people to kill themselves when they insult his High School prose/ editing skills on the internet like he's been doing since he came to Sup Forums first.

If you like him, you like him, I can't fault you on that, I'm stating why I don't like him of which there are many reasons.

because none of them have any clue what they're talking about and doesn't review as many genres as fantano.

loads of people i know who dont browse mu know about the melon

>le cuck meme xd

fuck me that's a great channel

There are about 10k people on this board at a minimum and another 40k latent users (once every few days). Sup Forums is on of the most popular boards on Sup Forums now the most popular being Sup Forums, Sup Forums, Sup Forums, Sup Forums and /r9k/. All of these boards share a significant proportion of users as well who either are latently interested in each other or more seriously interested so it can't be determined fully how many in total there are from here but there are definitely enough to generate 100k.

>10k active users and 40k lurkers

no way

if there's more than 3k regular posters on Sup Forums i'll eat a shoe

Hes the best we have got and do you really think his videos had so little substance that the only reason he is the most popular music critic on youtube is because he memed himself there. Sure he used Sup Forums as a starting off point but I doubt he could do as well as he has by just making videos about bands most people have never heard of.

Surely he'd only count as a scam artist if he either didn't review music (which he does) or wasn't a meme (which he certainly is now)?
He found a viewerbase to appeal to, and he does it pretty well it seems.

Because they're lazy as fuck

He calls himself the "busiest" music nerd for a reason its because he's constantly making and putting out reviews with the same kind of consistency as any of the large music reviewing websites.

Just replying to say that I knew about Sup Forums before I knew about Fuccthony Boitano, but I watched his reviews long before I browsed Sup Forums

Thats right. He has never reviewed an album of classical music.
Doesn't surprise me, you need to actually know about music history and theory (ideally orchestration) in order to review art music coherently

Today we are reviewing Beethoven's Für Elise

This board gets ~15-30k+ posts a days depending, even if someone was to make ten posts a day there are regulars who seldom post. This board is one of the most known on Sup Forums, a site with nearly 200k posters. Face it, Sup Forums has a lot of posters.

>best we got

We need him, why? He's just a vlogger with an opinion, not a reviewer.

He doesn't review albums critically, he gives an opinion. There is a difference between reviewing and giving opinions.

I think his channel grew when no one else was doing music vlogs very seriously, by putting out compact and articulate reviews that captivated a growing youtube audience without much or any competition from other channels (not that there wasn't other music-oriented content being thrown on youtube but I think TND was the first channel to put out reviews and ratings in a consistent way for an extended period of time). Also the guy learned how to make his videos look good and most importantly the format of his content is fairly efficient and he got pretty good at doing what he does, at this point the guy gained a lot of internet charisma so to speak.

Interesting point

Has Anthony pigeon holed himself to an area where he can't review something like this? I think that the next artist to make a culturally relevant (at least in the indie universe) modern classical album will make critics review it regardless.

I think it's much more to do with whatever is trending and has an even better point of reminding me Anthony states it's more so an opinion on a camera than a review.

I'd say he does both actually, since he will point out when there are things like strange mixing problems with solos/vocals, and compares the style of tracks to similar works or previous work by the same artist.
Opinions are going to appear a lot in this sort of medium, and he at least makes sure to remind people to check things out for themselves.

I just hope he does my favorite Beethoven album next classics week.
He's my favorite Classical producer (don't worry I went to music school I know my do-re-mi)

>I'd say he does both actually, since he will point out when there are things like strange mixing problems with solos/vocals, and compares the style of tracks to similar works or previous work by the same artist.
Opinions are going to appear a lot in this sort of medium, and he at least makes sure to remind people to check things out for themselves.

To be able to review any medium you need to have knowledge of the technical side of the medium. Pointing out "weird sounds" in the album is an observation and requires no critical analysis unless he can say something along the lines of "the use of x to create y is something that adds to the texture of the album by doing z" whereas he says "sound is cool, I like the cool sound, it sounds good". Reference is the lowest form of appraisal seeking, it's good in small doses to show your influences but to constantly refer back to something when it's not relevant to the current topic unless it contains thematics/ structures/ forms that overlap is banal as wikipedia would be a reviewer of albums if that were the case. A review should be detatched from opinions, it should be as factually as possible so no the medium SHOULD NOT overlap with opinions unless you're a High School reviewer.

This is the kind of retard fartman appeals to.

pls b b8

>hurr durr now here cum the haters

I really hate this pre emptive "you mad bro" comment people like to add to their shitposts

Hello greenmemer, right on time. Little do you know, back in ye olde 4chane days people used to inb4 continuously but since this phrase has been appropriated I decided to add that stipulation instead, right enough you dismissed in the most contrived way without being able to refute or argue against it simply based on the fact I criticised your favourite YouTube "star".

>beehthoven
>favorite classical producer
lol you new or something.?? lopatin is my favorite and best. you must be a t. embryo going through the music chronologically if beethoven is your favorite

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

Most other youtube music reviewers aren't alt right neckbeards.

He has the Sargon crowd, which make up like half of youtube.

This, except one thing. Fantano has pretty much guaranteed he'll never get any bigger than mildly popular youtube vlogger when he started buddying up with Sargon and co. Telling feminists to drink bleach and all the other edgy shit he does guarantees he'll never be anything but a youtube vlogger for edgy teenagers.

>alt right neckbeards.
>He has the Sargon crowd, which make up like half of youtube

pls be bait

new classical albums are being released all the time, its just that you need to know about classical music in order to appreciate them.

>yms
>jontron
No. They got popular because they tailored to the 8th grade kid in the back of class demographic.

>sargon/amazing atheist/thunderf00t aren't alt right neckbeards
please consider suicide

That's the whole point of his channel. He's stated multiple times that he wanted to introduce people to music they wouldn't otherwise find out about. He's a good guy and if I were gay I would suck his dick or let him suck mine probably idk maybe butt stuff.

>le meme review

>I would suck his dick or let him suck mine probably idk maybe butt stuff.
Your average memethany fatano fanboy.

Can someone explain Thatistheplan to me? I don't really get it.

It feels like he's mocking alt-right youtubers and Sup Forums posters, but it also kind of feels like Fantano's soapbox where he says things he couldn't say on theneedledrop.

I don't know. To me it seems like a mix of his honest opinions and taking the piss out of Sargon fans.

You mean Sup Forums?

You're aware that Fantano featured Sargon on his channel, was on Sargons channel, did an anti-"SJW" video with TheAmazingAtheist and has endorsed GamerGate, right?

They're not parodies of the alt-right. He is the alt-right. It's Anthony's attempt at playing some character making fun of le "SJWs"

I know it's confusing because he has the world's shittiest sense of humour.

>considers Daniel Lopatin as "classical" music

He has an inconsistent sense of humor (I love Cal, and his strange edits/glitches), but that makes sense. It sucks that he'll probably never gain widespread appeal because of his alt-right beliefs though.

If it's supposedly only one as OP says, why couldn't the one actually be insightful instead of nitpicky.

>more people subscribe to someone telling you what they think about something than actual content creators
what's wrong with the internet?

m'lady

all oneohtrix fans r sweaty obese white males

He's not really alt-right, since he has also actively stands against police violence against black people.

He's anti-sjw, which to be honst is way more embarassing than just being alt-right. I mean, he did call Steven Crowder a douchebag. But yeah, being anti-social justice is just as retarded.

i mean who else could have that much banked theoretical language and such shit taste in music
fantano of course, who else
here is your answer

>being anti-social justice is just as retarded.

Explain.

Now that's a channel for edgy 14 year olds

Yeah, the guy who made a video telling "SJWs" to drink bleach isn't for edgy 14 year olds though.

He is friends with Sam Hyde, that is the only reason I watch him.

i like fantano so much more after he started coming out with the meme review and his latest thatistheplan videos. he's actually really funny, and is a pretty legit editor.

Youtube is a shitty format for music reviews

Relatively high effort to make, a pain in the ass to watch. I have no idea how people get through his videos when the review would be much faster to read.

no, i started disliking him ever since he started this obnoxious meme character.

youtube is irrelevant ... to respect

>friends

what the fuck gives you that impression