Who?

what kind of fucking cat is that?

c'mon, I'm serious ;(

that's a weird looking deer

It drowned

Why?

answer me, stupid dolphins

What even is seapunk?

didn't he write that album with the potato head lady on the cover?

Isnt this the dolphin that killed 2 persons?

It was more of a subculture than a music genre.
After the seapunk kinds ran out of 90s animated gifs to reblog they moved on with their lives. The net art aesthetic was picked up by the vaporwave community.
With the genre itself never being well defined and the core members of the subculture moving on it just faded away.

If my understanding is correct, you are stating that there is not an actual representative album for the genre/subculture. In this regard, what can we say about this work:
ultrademon.bandcamp.com/album/seapunk
Is it just good electronics? Is it aesthetically seapunk but not musically?
Are there any actual seapunk records that are not garbage?

That's a spooky doggo

yeah you are right. I was one of those net artists lol.
not involved in the sea punk thing though, but followed and was followed by people who were.

even though I might have had a more successful career had I continued being active on tumblr, I couldn't be a part of the crowd and moved on.

continued creating art outside of it, diverging more stylistically, as I simultaneously changed a lot intellectually, politically and so on.

what happened to you sucking my dick

eh, you cummed on my feet

It's aestheticaly seapunk.
However, it was released in 2013, way after seapunk's peak.
In my eyes the only authorities on seapunk are coral records internazionale and the clique that started the whole scene (lil internet, ultrademon/fireforeffect, zombelle). It was more of scene where one could self-label as seapunk and get away with it --- not that that's bad, but if you produce electroniuc music with zany aqua samples you can call yourself seapunk, and if you subscribe to a certain aesthetic others might call you seapunk as well.

To me this is the prototypical seapunk song: youtube.com/watch?v=Z0AWgOnk67A electronics with videogame-like samples and sea sounds (water, dolphins, and c.); moreover the music video was created by Kevin Heckart, one of the most notable producers of OC net art during the post-seapunk net art boom (e.g. v a p o r w a v e)

*most notable producers of OC net art BEFORE the post-seapunk net art boom

>cameras being around in 901
this pic is soooo fake. cameras only started in 1890.

but Dad, Nick Cannon's hilarious

yeah when I was active and stuff it was around '10/'11 and I guess that was around when seapunk was ""relevant""?

>diverging more stylistically, as I simultaneously changed a lot intellectually, politically and so on
Can you tell me more about this change? What exactly caused it?

deathsdynamicshroud.bandcamp.com/album/seawrld
Two years ago this vaporwave duo tried to go deeper into the subject and accomplished a concept album (more like an excursus, an investigation) about seapunk, re-calling it "seawrld". It's not exactly vaporwave but it's also far removed from we used to call seapunk. What can we say about it? What's your thoughts?

*from WHAT we used to call

Based on my cursory study of the genre, it seems to have died off as a result of Grimes no longer dyeing her hair sea-friendly shades of blue - I'm not even kidding.

I'd say it was a combination of growing up, psychedelics and the influence of an intelligent friend haha

and not sure I have the energy to go too far into the change itself.

but I became more nihilistic, less leftist and the way I viewed the world just changed fundamentally.
I'd say it was for the better.

>more nihilistic
>less leftist
That seems interesting, but how are the two things correlated? And what is the direct link between that change and seapunk? Did you reject its aesthetic and meaning?

totally bump

yeah, I rejected the whole scene it was related to more than just seapunk itself.
I was on the visual side of things, so post ironic "net art" stuff, more related perhaps to PC Music than seapunk

first off it just became too one note and it felt lazy, shallow and pandering.

I wanted to develop more technically, while perhaps maintaining the tendency to some form of subversion in terms of motif and so on.

but yes, in that process I disavowed a lot of hipsterism and fashion obsession.
if you saw me you'd probably still call me a fucking hipster though, and I can still appreciate that type of aesthetic a lot.

but I'd say me quitting tumblr was tightly connected to the intellectual shift I went through,
but it was a parenthesis in a much larger change.

sea punk? more like sunk.
haha haha.... am i right fellas?

Yes hahahahaha, right on my man, hahaha

Real talk that picture is horrifying.

no more opinions?

seapunk

If there was no albums that came from the movement itself other than that 2013 one, I'd say the movement was literally nothing

Now guys, let's discuss this. Do you think it's seapunk or not?

That's the point, I'd like to hear more real seapunk albums. Shit tagged with seapunk on bandcamp is for the most not worth listening to. But I'm sure there must be something.

Is vaporwave still cool or is it too popular now?

It's too popular somehow. Also, there are more re-releases on cassettes than brand new albums. Many vaporwave artists don't produce anymore or produce under unknown aliases. Telepath, who is the alien-god of vaporwave, stopped making vaporwave and now is trying to sell electronic sample-free pop in the EP format, with very poor results. Vektroid has just dropped three albums that are just travesties of herself and her glorious past. Dream Catalogue is no longer vaporwave and, though it still spreads good tunes, is not fascinating and epic as before. The rest is shit. The last album that can be considered 10/10 is Post-Internet by Golden Living Room, released on October 26th, 2015 on Phinery.

shitty, dead scene!!!
you guys disgust me

oceangrunge>seapunk tho

Shut up you angry dolphin, it's your problem if you're an extinct species

hello

>tfw witchhouse is still going strong
Take that seapunk

but seapunk is better