Now that the dust has finally settled, are we all in agreement that Skrillex is a genuinely good artist?

Now that the dust has finally settled, are we all in agreement that Skrillex is a genuinely good artist?
youtube.com/watch?v=-e_3Cg9GZFU
youtube.com/watch?v=WSeNSzJ2-Jw
These are classics

I've always thought the parts of his songs that aren't bass drops were pretty great.

He is a good artist. The hate boner this place has for him is dumb.

>mfw 7 years ago Skrillex was labeled fedora teen crap

>mfw now he's hailed as a paragon of the evolution of electronic music

wuaw

he's a good artist but if he really used his talent to go deep he could make something groundbreaking and different if he wanted.
but i guess he chose to just make people happy with kinda carefree modern dance music.

>that video

Top degeneracy mate

Yeah he is. The original material he made was so good he basically spawned his own mini genre.

Why is it supposed to be bad, because it's bright and flashy? Just because music is more conserved that doesn't mean it's more detailed or interesting. The people on this board that make snobby quips about artists like Skrillex can never seem to form a rebuttal and explain why the dry underground electronic music they listen to is supposed to be better.

And that's not even completely true. This is the board that loves Death Grips. They like Punk and Metal but apparently because it's dance music that makes it bad.

It's just neckbeard-ism from people that are too dumb to understand what that means. Skrillex is a great artist.

i like skrillex but original material so good it spawned a mini genre?

It basically is a twist on dubstep, which he brought to the american public.

He popularized it, not invent it in any way really. Sure when SMANS was out I was like 'woa' but as an album it doesnt really have much lasting appeal beyond the initial wow factor it had, imo.

still though, great artist. But you're not gonna find deep meaning or much food for thought in it. Which doesn't matter really, lots of music is simply about feeling good. But yeah it's just good poppy modern electronic music to make you feel good and make people dance and have a party. Not much more, imo.

>dry underground electronic

but the underground electronic music scene is intense and vivid as fuck

>When you blame the board for your pleb taste
>you got the microphone?
>yep
>k get the robot laxatives

>He popularized it, not invent it in any way really.
Sure, the fundamental technicalities are there but he was on the forefront of it and he brought a new genre to fruition.

>still though, great artist. But you're not gonna find deep meaning or much food for thought in it.
Sure. It's just textured, well produced music.

Underlying point I was trying to make is that it isn't better or worse than conserved electronic music just because it's bright and flashy. It's the same level of shallow, you just nullified the only good thing about it.

I like IDM but I don't give disproportionate credit to it like people tend to.

>but the underground electronic music scene is intense and vivid as fuck
It certainly can be but most of the time it's still just vapid music that's meant to sound cool. It might appeal to you more but it isn't better than a similar EDM song just because it's more conserved.

one of the few producers who has any notion of musicality

he's a good bloke and i look forward to hearing the rest of his career beyond dubstep

I've always thought that his non drop parts were decent, but that style of electronic music isn't for me so I just generally don't like it.

I guess if you like that stuff. I don't like dub step. Much more fatboy slim and artists like that

liked him better as vocalist for from first to last honestly, ya i was a 15 y/o emo kid at the time but that was a good band for real. their drummer was dope

>this is the state of Sup Forums in 2016

pure disgust fills my body

Notices unopposed.

+1

Literally the first like minute of Equinox is the best thing he's ever done. And then it drops and it turns trash like every other drop he's done.

Or maybe I'm just a sucker for that style of vocal chopping.

I completely agree, if there's one thing that irks me about dubstep it's drops.

What exactly would you recommend for vivid underground electronic music?

He's a great producer. Really love the way he handles his drums in his songs. I saw him live one week ago and it was better than expected.

>Pic related

Well if it doesn't have drops it's not considered dubstep so I guess you don't like dubstep then buddy.

My 13 year old self did, I'll still listen to some at times but I've kind of drifted away from it

Non-ironically think he's a great producer.

Prob one of the most influential of the last 10 years in electronic music too

Unironicaly yes

Skrillex is just bad at drops.

Arkasia would be my vote for someone who is good at drops. And just an overall better artist.

the kids have grown up m8

plen