So, does Sup Forums agree with this?

So, does Sup Forums agree with this?

Only Ulysses is right in this list

but...but... but... media is subjective!

>Pet Sounds
>Not TVU&N
>Sopranos
>not Seinfeld

i agree with the rest tho

Music should be Are you experienced, vidya should be Quake

absolutely not, i know entry level doesn't mean bad but this list is painfully generic

The only good choice is Ulysses and that's not even in the top 15 best of the 20th century

seriously this list is so 20th century biased

Fixed it for you

>Not Twin Peaks

>anime

lol

>implying

This is much better

No it's not

Kinda is

Ocarina would be right if it weren't for the Shadow Temple
Pet Sounds would be right if it weren't for the title track

but you faggots are wrong it's literally

Music
>Trout Mask Replica
I get it's a meme but it's literally the greatest thing ever recorded

>Literature
Probs Don Quixote

>Television
IDK why this is a place but maybe Twin Peaks... but parts of the second season do suck so maybe The Wire? Or Deadwood... or hell even Breaking Bad. Whatever it's all normie stuff anyway

>Film
Probs Persona

>Vidya
>anything but Tetris

>Anime
>anything but Angel's Egg

No
Euphoric No

correct on music and lit, vidya should be tetris

i can only imagine how boring a person would be to have these things as his favourites

>Music
The Doors, The Doors

>Literature
Ulysses

>Television
True Detective s01 or Mad Men

>Film
Stalker (1979)

>Video game
lmao

rock bottom and dwarf fortress

>>>/tumblr/

>Stalker (1979)

>ulysses
not even Joyce's best work. Im more of a Pynchon guy myself, but thats cuz im /lit/ pleb

fixed

>favorites
learn how to read
tetris is the magnum opus of vidya, it's not many peoples favorite though. ulysses is the logical conclusion to the novel, doesn't have to be your favorite
please don't say finnegans wake is his best. ulysses is his best work, portrait and dubliners are masterpieces as well

>Music
Bach - Toccata and Fugue in D minor
>Literature
Cervantes - Don Quixote (in native Spanish only, you fucking idiot)
>Television
Not art.
>Film
Sunset Boulevard
>Vidya
Not art.

Well I've never finished finnegans, but as far as pushin' forward the format of the novel it was revolutionary. Tell me any other modern era novel with readers who dedicate their lives trying to decipher it.

that doesn't make it the better novel necessarily, it's still a masterwork but ulysses just feels transcendental idk i haven't been able to go a day without thinking about it in my everyday life

pet sounds is pretty hard to argue with

lit is Paradise Lost

tv is correct

film is pulp fiction, citizen kane is overrated and boring

vidya is fine, never actually played that whole game

oh look at me im choosing older stuff to make me seem cultured!!

I don't consider television and vidya art. (to make me seem more elite)

>you need to read don quixote in its native language to get it

sorta agree

you're still probably like 19

>film is an alright movie that didn't do anything original and basically ripped off a bunch of older better movies.

nah

my favorite movie is taxi driver. thats a movie i like. tv is trash

Maybe he's picking older media because it has greater stature and makes for a more suitable choice in this shit thread.

nah it's more like
bach's oeuvre
the divine comedy or shakespeare's tragedies
lol @ tv as an artistic medium
tarkovsky or ozu or bresson
video games are not art, sorry tyke

>an outdated pop album is music's "magnum opus"
Fuck off.

lol arena fag
>new doom is gay
>why isn't it just like quake?
>muh unreal tournamen

well if we're talking about the more digestible experience ulysses is it. If you ever get the chance id recommend the film The Joycean Society by Dora Garcia. She sits in for a year with a group of uk expats who get together weekly to read finnegans wake and have been doing so for 30 years. It puts into perspective just how deep that rabbit hole goes.

...and citizen kane just ripped off older book. all art is borrowed.

pulp fiction:
>contained two hours of riveting and different story lines
>changed the idea that narration can't be subtle for popular movies
>redefined the gangster movie
>redefined the masculine ideal

I really hope this was a shitpost. And p.s. Vidya is the only true potential non-linear art. Music can never be.

i'll watch it right now. not much else going on atm. i've been wanting to dive in to finnegans but it's intimidating

Television is 100% controlled by corporations, and corporations are not sentient. Thus, television cannot be art.

As with video games, they have not existed long enough to be art. Maybe in twenty years we will have one game of artistic merit.

Bach and Cervantes are, without even a shadow of a doubt, the two very most important and influential people in their respective genres, and those are their greatest works. Every other work of literature and music cowers in their shadows.

Beach Boys cannot be music's magnum opus because it is a pop album that is already irrelevant beyond the nostalgia people have for it. Meanwhile, Bach is timeless.

Ulysses, while a great novel, is a culmination of the medium, not a wildly powerful work that changed everything. All Ulysses did was create a world where people wanted to "push the boundaries" in inauthentic and pointless ways - the only good writer to come out of this toxic mindset was Isidore Isou.

>Bach is timeless
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA *gaaaaasp* HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH *turns into old man wheezing laugh*

oot is shit

I bet you unironically listen to Cage

I don't think you know outdated mean.

Pet Sounds - sure
Ulysses - nah
Sopranos - nah
Citzen Kane - never seen it so not qualified
Ocarina of Time - absolutely

Cage?

>it's another "OP posts this b8 again so he can lowkey bring Sup Forums and Sup Forums here and spark discussion about the value of television shows and video games as art that isn't related to music at all except for anons saying that pet sounds is shit and asking it to be replaced with other albums in either scaruffi's top 100 or some shit obscure album they found in rym's esoteric chart" episode

>pet sounds
pleb

>ulysses
it's ok

>sopranos
don't give a shit about TV

>Citizen Kane
sure

>ocarina of time
not even top 3 in its own series

OOT is undoubtedly top 3

Majora's mask, wind waker, and Link to the past are all better

>It's another "Sup Forums, Sup Forums, Sup Forums, and /lit/ thinking they know about art better than anybody else" thread

Last of Us should be vidya.

>Gripping story
>Stellar visuals
>Great music (for a video game)
>Innovative gameplay
>Some of the greatest graphics and environments of all time
>Has inspired countless games and started the "gritty 'realistic' zombie apocalypse" trend in modern gaming

Basically everything it could possibly need to be considered the GOAT.

It's all wrong imo

That's an impressive combination of smug and boring you've got there

The thing is, people teeter with majoras a lot, and OOT is literally considered best game ever many times (don't know if I agree with that, but I think thats something important)

>vidya magnum opus

despite coming out before OoT, it's better and has aged better as well

doesn't mean jack shit. Many people like bioshock infinite despite it being shit

>Music's opus being anything but a classical piece, preferably by Mozart

This is true. Certain games have a lot of emotional output from the player. But of course if you don't vidya, you look at everything like it's mindless CoD shit, which isn't the case.

>Inherently incapable of producing high art

holy fucking shit taste, batman!

>Dead genre
>Music's opus
No

while i dont agree with some of the selections, i totally agree with the tv and vidya stuff

Okay whoa I don't really care that much. Calling oot shit is a stretch.

You know classical is still being made, right?

I didn't call it shit though

>he thinks classical is dead

hello ribbit

Probably not that good. Probably all sounds like 4:33.

This is the only correct opinion ITT. BTW OP never implied TV or vidya being art you stupid fucks.

I thought you were comparing it to bio shock there, whoops. Just gotta remember, MM took everything from OOT, so without OOT there would be no MM. I always thought it was a 50/50 thing with those two being the favorite.

prove me wrong

>Music
Personally I'd say Unknown Pleasures or maybe In Rainbows or Paranoid but that's just imho tbqh familam

>Literature
Moby Dick, fuck yeah

>Television
True Detective s01 +1

>Film
I don't even know where to begin with this. So many.

>Vidya
AoE2, obviously.

Quit generalizing both forms. Not too hard.

>MM took everything from OoT

on the contrary, while the basis of the game is founded on OoT, it's very different in design and structure. OoT was a focus on the dungeons while MM moved away from them in favor of world interaction.

Nintendo could have just made more of the same thing but they didn't

if anything, OoT took everything from LttP

Good music is music with good composition; lyrics, production, and all other aesthetic qualities are all window dressing. Thus, any popular music piece is disqualified from being the GOAT.

Literature's strengths are abstract and usage of rhetorical devices. Don Quixote is the clear winner in this situation.

Television cannot be art because it is too restricted. A man with a movie camera and some friends can make a movie; to make a TV show, you need to censor it to fit channel demands, intentionally fuck up your pacing in order to fit in commercials, keep everything to strict time budget of 50 minutes at most (and intentionally fuck up pacing moreso to keep more people coming), and it is impossible to get an airing slot without approval from multiple corporate entities who will change your work to their demands. Thus, it is impossible for anything of merit to ever air as a television show.

Film is a purely visual medium. Music and plot do not matter at all. While Citizen Kane is revolutionary in its filmmaking style, it is not the best. The best would be a purely visual affair, like Ballet Mecanique.

Video games are defined by how the audience interacts with the medium itself. As it stands, we've yet to really see anyone really experiment with that, so as it stands, we do not have a video game magnum opus. It's simply too hard for an amateur person to make anything groundbreaking due to how much time and money must be invested using current gamemaking resources.

>In Rainbows
>Not OK Computer
W u t

>lyrics

this is the correct version

all of these things are the highest selling in their field, thus the best

Correct. Lyrics do not matter. Vocal arrangements do. But what they are saying does not.

That's fair. It's just, I'm not too versed in opinions within the fan base, so I'd only assume OOT would have to be top 3.

>"I have to read lyrics to understand beauty!"

>Close to the Edge & Tubular Bells
sure
>Soundtracks for the Blind
you lost me

I guarantee you don't know about forms of storytelling within video games. I know you've never played heavy rain, last of us, or God of war.

man in rainbows is probably their most accomplished album.

i'd put kid A or amnesiac above OK Computer.

i love all of them, but In Rainbows just does something for me.

There's no real consensus on top 3, I was just giving my opinion Tbh

You could argue half of the series games to be the best

Yeah, CDi, amirite?

>heavy rain, last of us, or God of war.

kek is this bait?

of course :^)

Thoughts on AMSP?

The nature of both mediums prevents them from becoming high art.

Anything fully interactive in nature cannot be considered a true art form, most respectable critics agree.

As for television, it's episodic and revenue-driven nature prevent it from being a valid artistic medium.

I still enjoy both, I just don't consider them to be art.

please be b8ing

If you could tell me what these stories do specifically that is compelling or unique I could actually discuss with you. You're just slamming because you're too ignorant to not generalize something you know nothing about.

All the fags who would have been classical composers in the 1800s are now experimental electronic producers. So you only have traditionalists and boring people making classical music now because smart people know that electronic music has all of the benefits of the classical tradition (ability to meticulously construct long works, emphasis on abstraction) without the drawbacks (lack of timbral variety, slower to produce)

I'm confused, are you calling heavy rain, last of us, or God of war good examples of stories in games or not?

Video games have the most potential, but they've yet to do anything with it. We'll know they've made something good when they stop being called video games. I don't know what the pretentious word for video games will be in a few decades, but I know there will be one. "Interactive art" doesn't sound right.

>AMSP

I haven't listened to it a huge deal, but I thought it was miles better than King of Limbs.

mfw my housemate said it was their Coldplay album.

Lmaoing at you, pleb

Have to agree to an extent on the state of tv, really. But saying that interactive media isn't good BECAUSE MOST CRITICS SAY SO. That's the most autistic reasoning ever. "most critics agree". Yeah, the critic is the artist too, right?

Nah, video games are too expensive to make and commercialized for that to happen
Or you'll only have 8bit indie "interactive art"