How the hell am i meant to listen to jazz music?

how the hell am i meant to listen to jazz music?

my main 4 struggles of jazz music:

1. am i supposed to simply enjoy the objective qualities of it all?

2. there isn't any lyrics---so the instruments themselves have to set the mood (which in my experiences either doesn't happen, or its incredibly obvious and redundant)

3.also, there's just so many boring and overused cliches of the jazz genre, like the ever-so-common simple quarter-note walking basslines, the tss--tsstss-tss ride cymbals, the lame and underwhelming sprinklings of piano keys that are just there like accessories..seriously one of the most homogenized genres

4. i could care less about the 5 minute saxophone/trumpet solos and phrases that john coltrane and miles davis seem to be so ecstatic about in albums like "kind of blue", "giant steps"

how am i supposed to immerse myself into jazz music, especially when at the end of the day, i don't care about the whole objective side (the aspergers side) as much as i do the subjective side of feelings, emotion, passion with artists like nick drake, elliott smith, and the smiths for example.

help me Sup Forums, i'm not willing to completely give up on an entire genre.

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=8rpiG3D9QMQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Jk1JXc9ifRQ
youtube.com/watch?v=D9Cs_zb4q14
youtube.com/watch?v=bR6vHpZnYUY
youtube.com/watch?v=XZHF6SDWtU8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Sounds like you're just a baby lol

1) yeah
2) honestly if so, you probably won't like it much. do you like post-rock? electronic? idk there's a lot of largely instrumental genres
3) I'll agree w/you here that there are lots of boring overused things in jazz that people don't talk about because it's a lot harder to get into than most genres, but saying something is "one of the most homogenized genres" is going to be absolutely impossible to prove
4) cool, see 1 and 2

if it's not your thing, it's not your thing. your effort to not give up on a genre is appreciated, by me at least. I don't know a ton of jazz though. ask around and you should be able to find some really good, innovative, solo-light, lyrical jazz out there. maybe someone could be helpful??

personally I got into jazz through you're dead by flylo, there's some vocals and theme and stuff but it's probably not what you're looking for.

LOL SPONGEBOG EPIC

Probably trolling I hope but on the off chance that you're not...

>1. am i supposed to simply enjoy the objective qualities of it all?
I don't know, either you do or you don't. Hopefully you can at least appreciate them...

>2. there isn't any lyrics---so the instruments themselves have to set the mood (which in my experiences either doesn't happen, or its incredibly obvious and redundant)
I'd argue it's easier to express things like complex emotions and moods musically rather than lyrically. If you can't appreciate and derive feeling from music without lyrics telling you how to feel then jazz probably isn't for you.

>3.also, there's just so many boring and overused cliches of the jazz genre, like the ever-so-common simple quarter-note walking basslines, the tss--tsstss-tss ride cymbals, the lame and underwhelming sprinklings of piano keys that are just there like accessories..seriously one of the most homogenized genres
You could come up with a list of similar "cliches" for literally any genre. Furthermore, for every cliche you mentioned you can easily find ten jazz albums that don't contain that cliche at all.

>4. i could care less about the 5 minute saxophone/trumpet solos and phrases that john coltrane and miles davis seem to be so ecstatic about in albums like "kind of blue", "giant steps"
Typically the solos are the focal point of jazz so if you don't have the attention span to listen actively and follow the soloist then jazz probably isn't for you.

I want to believe this is bait but I know there are plenty of pretentious kids here who actually think like this. Just don't even bother. Until you change your very retarded mindset for what you look for in music you're just going to be wasting your time.

You are too ignorant.

>Step 1
Stop complaining

>Step 2
Try Harder or Give Up

>Step 3
???

>Step 4
Profit!

Give this a try

and this

and this.

I'll be honest I like jazz, but only when I'm doing sonething

I like jazz because of all the things you just listed aside from 3 because if you've listen to enough you don't hear them often at all

Damn!, do you have more like this?

>Jtg core

Sure famn.

thank you!, sorry to ask again but do you have more?, i have been trying to get into jazz but to be honest i find it really difficult, i don't even know what to listen!, i would really appreciate if you could share some knowledge

>posting the GOAT

m.youtube.com/watch?v=8rpiG3D9QMQ

Its kind of hard to just jump into this music if you're just looking for some easy listening. You have to turn your mind on, listen to the notes like a story is being told.

Don't force yourself to listen to it if you don't like it. It's completely fine. There are some albums on Sup Forums I'll never like, I give it a try but I'm not going to hardwire my brain to accept it.

Use your brain for better activities.

Sure. First tell me what you liked about Mirror and Shadowless so I can get a better idea of what to recommend next.

Of shadowless i liked how lively sound the song "Twenty One" how the instruments melt to create this colorful piece, i'm sorry if i'm being to shallow with what i'm trying to say but i'm not an expert, i just like jazz that makes me feel good, alive, happy.

Another example of jazz that i like is this song named "Early summer by Ryo Fukui.

listen to the bad plus

also other modern artists

and if you like experimentation, this album is the shit and so is Sun Ra's Atlantis. Maybe Colin Stetson but some say he isnt really jazz related, but i believe is ep is a form of avant garde jazz. Dont know much else, you explore other things on your own

Thank you very much for all the recommendation i defenitively will give it a try, and thanks for all the time you took to reply my comments.

took like 30 secs minus shitty capcha mang

>calls jazz boring, talks about cliche genre conventions
>likes the fucking SMITHS

Some African jazz has vocals.

youtube.com/watch?v=Jk1JXc9ifRQ

You're supposed to listen to the improvised solos of each member of the band.

Stop forcing yourself.

Fucking this. There's more creativity happening here in 2 minutes on a single instrument than what that hack Morrissey has done his entire career.
youtube.com/watch?v=D9Cs_zb4q14
There's reason why most universities offer a jazz appreciation elective at this point, and have for decades.

Have you heard of this thing before? Everybody seems to loves it and it's pretty happy and funky sounding in parts and very cold and melancholy in others.

Check out Kreisberg's other shit, and that Miles Okazaki album is part 1 of a 3 part dealy and ther all amazing. Other than that all I can say is keep listening and exploring if youre intent on developing your taste for jazz. As well as not to write off the old shit just yet cus like anything it has a tendency to grow on you. Peace out famn and next time dont make such a disgusting OP.

that isn't jazz

not a whole lot of improvising but ya it is desu

>Jazz lacks emotion
Watch this guy pour his heart out and tell me that again OP
youtube.com/watch?v=bR6vHpZnYUY

>2. there isn't any lyrics---so the instruments themselves have to set the mood (which in my experiences either doesn't happen, or its incredibly obvious and redundant)

just threw up a bit in my mouth

please kill yourself

listen to latin instead
youtube.com/watch?v=XZHF6SDWtU8

>objectivity

LMAO
M
A
O

If you don't like it then don't do it you fucking mongrel.

My nigga, good taste user

who /picrelated/ here

Because jazz is wanky shit for wanky shits who think they're smarter than they are?

>how the hell am i meant to listen to [ANY TYPE OF] music?

if you're honestly asking this question you need to reconsider if you're trying to listen to this particular type of music for a reason. if you're trying too hard then it isn't for you. move on user.

If you can't feel emotion from music without lyrics than honestly I'm not sure music in general is for you.

If you can't get into jazz, then don't fucking listen to it, it's just not for you.
When I listened to my first jazz albums I immediately liked them. Bop, cool jazz, avantgarde, free jazz, etc etc. everything works fine for me. You either like or dislike jazz. I don't think there's a middle position for this.
I think that to like jazz you have to like music itself to begin with. If you only like music for good/philosophical/meaningful/whatever lyrics, then instrumental music, including jazz, is not for you.

Jazz is the musical equivalent of Poe's law

Why is afrobeat the only type of jazz that actually has some blood and passion about it

listen to grindcore or at least death metal if you want blood

>it's a "jazz has no emotions" episode
when will plebs learn

If your biggest problem is feeling the emotion of the music don't listen for objective qualities. Emotions are in the tones and semitones of the music. Emotions portrayed by jazz are more abstract than happy/sad. Listen to like idk Wayne shorter, his stuff seems to catch a more sentimental tone

>forcing yourself to like a genre

Have you ever listened to spiritual jazz

Fuck you

>having to force yourself to like jazz