/daily/ - Lerche Edition

What do you do in /daily/?

Listen to your library, show off your backlog, babble about new music, tell us what you've been listening to today and what you will listen to in the following month, do tourneys (unless if you're Jangle, in which case they will crash and burn), post memes, talk about music, argue about opinions, fight with other generals, just let the good times flow.

neverendingchartrendering.org/
>topsters that actually works! GENIUS!

topsters.net/
>can we remove this from the OP until it actually fucking works?

plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel
>Shit gets hype but only when a lot of people participate

synctube.org/r/Some_dumb_synctube_channel
>plug for people who hate /daily/ but keep coming back for some reason

dailymu-sic.weebly.com/
>site with templates, OP covers, archive, & random stuff

Ask about our secret Skype group. Nobody will tell you anything, but it's fun to try.

Most importantly, be kind to each other

Previously, on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/ricardo_villalobos/alcachofa/
youtube.com/watch?v=bBe2vMx1Xjk&list=WL&index=1
discord.gg/qAExQGD
rateyourmusic.com/list/DiscordantJangle/albums_from_scotland_that_are_at_least_alright/
rateyourmusic.com/list/DiscordantJangle/artists_from_scotland_that_are_at_least_alright/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

daily sucks lol

Nice review.
About the album length, you probably picked the reissue, which features 4 tracks from the 5 EP (originally released between Souvlaki and Pygmalion). Souvlaki itself ends in Dagger and is 40 minutes long, which imo is nearly perfect. If anything I think it should've been longer, with some songs getting more room to breathe - those fadeouts on Alison, 40 Days and When the Sun Hits are horrid.

Sonic Youth and My Bloody Balentine mad overrated though. Also the fuck? Sup Forums is blocked on Greyhound buses. Why?

Oh well should i write a review of the Cohen album and Daikanjyo?

yes and yes

cause muh anonymous edgy OuTsIdEr sites

What are you listening to, /daily/?

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/ricardo_villalobos/alcachofa/

first track was the best thing ever but now it's going a bit downhill .

Thanks a lot man. Yeah i think it's the reissue and i agree the fadeouts were annoying
>Sonic Youth is mad overrated
You know, i should write the Daydream Nation review because of this. I don't know about MBV since i haven't given Loveless a proper listen but it's a fact they influenced an entire genre.
And i have to say there is something about Sonic Youth that manages to capture the whole "rebel teen" like no other band. It makes me feel like on ofthe Breakfast Club members.
So i don't know, there is a feel of, ironically, Youth that only them can recreate, at least IMO.

Deceit

reminder to put that link in the op, maybe that'd be a good idea, perhaps

Listening to pic. If Suicide's s/t was the hypothesis to the 80s, and the 80s were the test results, then it's the conclusion.

I won't deny the influence. That's one thing I wont. Just saying I agreed with a bit of that sentiment in the previous thread. Wrote a long explanation at the very tail end last thread and don't feel it now.

Still no Discord mention

Reeeee

you just threw that pic together in ms paint didn't you

Yeah. Sorry guys I was just trying to look patrician as fuck here being that I am new to /daily/, so I had to figure out an album that even the mighty PITCHFORK didn't review, but couldn't think of one. So I made one in paint.

haha oh wow

Wait that's spaghetti, not lasagna

Honestly I could appreciate the aesthetic if he did

>mfw no echo

youtube.com/watch?v=bBe2vMx1Xjk&list=WL&index=1

Anyone here like the music of Anton Webern.

Wait P4k has reviewed it

>Stick Men With Ray Guns - Some People Deserve to Suffer
This is crusty lo-fi noise punk - I can dig the general aesthetic, but these guys try way to hard to be shocking. I think it has the effect of just being stupid. The tempos are pretty slow and the songs all sound samey after a few mintues. It just sounds like "look mom I'm being a rebel by listening to lyrics about Satan and smoking cigarettes". 3/10

>Jim Hall - Concierto
This is a nice Cool Jazz release - pretty enjoyable 7/10

tuco ruggles

Oh no! My fake patricianship! Damn you pitchfork.

Spot on with Stick Men.

i like this strip

no patriciandom for you

Oh you were the guy saying the thing about Branca? Well i have to admit i prefer him too. But i think that is because there is a more juvenile sound to those 2 artists, specially compared to Branca. For instance, Branca focuses on perfectly calculated songs and very long Running pieces. He is the kind of guy who would play his rock music in an auditorium. SY and MBV who attempted very similar ideas of texture and guitar experimentation were just more teenager and were more about jams and fun. Maybe not so much MBV, as i haven't given it a proper listen, but SY were definitely into making thoughtful, yet amazingly fun jams. So yeah, i think they were different artists with different objectives

It's what I enjoy about that type of music, which is huge ass sounds with layers and layers and layers and layers of sounds. Branca and Chatham are beast at that. If I want something closer to popular "youthful" music, I still end up preferring Boris' Flood/Feedbacker or some Swans.

You haven't seen the last of me! I will find another way to attain it!

>I will find another way to attain it!
You could join our Discord for example

Can I join it from a phone? If so where dat link, bby?

>chart has 4 songs containing the word "nigger"

wow ok that was not very good

btw torts and bear i don't have/missed a rec from you, need an instrumental from bear and passionate from torts

Second disk of the Ancient Chinese Music compilation.

Gardfiel

Can you explain how your tourn worked again? I thought I understood it but I don't think I do.

I actually don't think those artists embody Youth in any way other than being newer (and Swans is mad Old) than Branca. I was talking more about the feeling of being a teen. I really think everybody Feels younger when listening to SY. Boris and Swans are still more about highly orchestrated songs and Yes with many layers. I also think that i've never seen anyone truly overrate them other than calling Daydream Nation his favorite album. I think the album has a special vibe. Like something only that album has. But well whatever, i kind of agree in that those artists are more often than not better

two people to a team

two tags each round, one person from each team picks an album for each tag, ie round 2's tags are instrumental and passionate, so one person recs me a passionate album and one person recs me an instrumental one.

team advancement is based on averaging both team member's score

so far I've only elimnated/advanced 4 teams,
team givingbear/fish and team thomas/torts being those who advanced, and terminus/misha and jangle/nyar being those elimnated

ask the op that forgot to add the link (again!!!) >:(

Link is discord.gg/qAExQGD

Ah right, I was confused by the fact you'd only put through two teams, didn't realise you were still eliminating teams.

>early no wave era Swans
>not a lot of angry young person frustration
I don't really care whether people like SY or not. I just think that they aren't the be all end all of noise rock with more sophisticated sections. Same with MBV. Doesn't help that i am now 23 and don't have fun, with that "teenager" feel you described, anymore :/

Word lemme see if this works.

yeah, first round is still going, I'm just accepting recs as I go so I don't get flooded with 16 people giving recs at one time

haha because prog is complicated did you get it wow haha

Don't you know that prog is the greatest genre ever made? With many different times signatures, polyrhythms, symphonic elements, and surrealism. No OTHER genre does that!

I did it on purpose, discord is superfluous

Wrong. Classical is the greatest genre ever made.
You avant-teens I swear.

>classy-cool
>not burgeoise trash

>>burgeoise
it's a difficult word m8s
if we were ironically Sup Forums calling things degenerate that'd be a lot easier

>burgeoise
>implying

Can someone post the latest, most updated /daily/-core chart?

I gotchu

>Don Cherry - "mu" First Part
What an interesting record! I love the way Ed Blackwell interprets the traditional African rhythms on the drum kit. It's like a master class in world percussion. Don Cherry's melodies are great too. This is a lot of fun. I ended up listening to the second part too.

Rolling

John Coltrane - Sun Ship
Or if heard Bernstein - Ives: Symphony No. 2

>Bernstein
whoops meant to say Rammstein

also bump

So if last thread was the quality reviews and music discussion thread, this one must be the memes thread?

It alternates every other thread, right?

Quality

Thanks

>Wake up at 3 AM
>Massive urge to listen to death metal

What does it all mean lads

maybe you're angry about something recently

Prior to waking I just dreamt that 'now would be a good time to listen to Hammer Smashed Face'

Bizarre really.

What is this wonderful world of tripnames and random music topics?

>tripfagging
>positive aspect of anything

Couldn't name two things unique about this topic at first glance.
Sue me.

>Unironically sharing 16/44 1khz rips of black metal albums from early Burzum

Honestly that means you feel badass as fuck. Metal is mainly empowerment. Not necessarily anger/frustration or muh darkness or muh uplifting which are all things certain metal genres do.

>mainly empowerment
u mean manly empowerment

Yeah that works, too. Though metal does have its fair share of vicious badass women, too (ex. the lead vocalists of Nuclear Death and Adorior.)

Have a look at my first attempt at a shitty list if you want, still a work in progress but I thought I'd publish it anyway before I go to bed.
rateyourmusic.com/list/DiscordantJangle/albums_from_scotland_that_are_at_least_alright/

rateyourmusic.com/list/DiscordantJangle/artists_from_scotland_that_are_at_least_alright/
Just realised I fucked up the title, going to bed now.

post pics of your music players

itunes need not apply

my tape collection of Arrayed and Logic Songs looks so tiny next to my record collection

much much higher density of quality stuff in my tape collection though

man scotland had/has a lot of good post-punk

sure why not

Sun Ra - Days of Happiness [El Saturn Records, 1979] (1st impressions)

A soulful and spiritual avant-garde jazz trio sees Sun Ra front stage and fuller than life. This full and engaging listen pushes the limits of the piano-centric trio while maintaining the rhythm and intimacy of less experimental endeavours. Sun Ra’s piano might as well be 2 or 3 musicians here, as the large space it fills and the intricacies within command your full attention. The drums are behind Ra 100%, perfectly complimenting and accentuating his style while also flourishing in it’s own right. The bass gets swallowed in Ra’s piano often but exists beautifully in the more subdued and intimate sections. Occasionally the bass player plays arco to create a drone-y backdrop for Ra’s cacophonous fury of keys, which is fitting and welcome. The band seems very aware of each other in terms of pacing and direction; seldom does a note seem out of place, and when it does it’s quickly tied in.
This album treads the line between dark complex free jazz and light spiritual celebration, pulling characteristics from both to conjure a unique formula. This trio piece is a unique statement in Sun Ra’s career and certainly not one to skip out on.

8.0 /10

WEENER GET THE FUCK IN HERE

That's what ja mum sed las night mate

Do Willisau. I want to know how Braxton played in the 90s

It's over 4 hours long so I'll have to set aside some real time for that one.
Though, I can tell you right now from other recordings I've heard, Braxton's 90's stuff is excellent.

oneothe

44'3 TACET FGT

I'm getting the fix now with some black metal too.

just going by what's left and what i know i'll probably like, this will most likely be my first chart without any 0.5s! waita have good taste losers

Ted Hearne - The Source (2015)
>art pop, electroacoustic

A total and complete clusterfuck that gets a bit painful at times, but has some ocassional moments of genius. Firstly, ever single time that voicebox was used was agony, it's irritating to listen to, added nothing to the music itself, and it just /sounds/ smug and self-satisfied. Parts where it becomes something of a musical pastiche ("Julian in a Nutshell", specifically) are also very irritating, there are too many things going on and nothing hits its mark. When the album gets into more controlled pop territory, it's actually pretty enjoyable, in a frenetic, Simon Bookish-esque manner. Mainly the drums, and the way that the rhythm section has complete control over the music. Possibly the spottiest album I've ever heard, but it definitely has some great high points.

2.0+

Nikos Veliotis & Klaus Filip - Slugabed (2010
>EAI

Pretty much an hour of cello/electronics drone, and even though it gets a bit old by the 40-minute mark it stays pretty damn interesting and enjoyable throughout its running time. It does what good drone should do, improvise and allow the droned note or tone to mutilate and change in a way that engages the listener rather than bores. The basic tone here is wonderful, the way the sparse cello and the buzzy electronics meld together is great, and the improvisational shifting of the tone is interesting to listen to. Loses me a fair bit by the end, but this is still a good listen.

3.0-

glad you liked Slugabed. was expecting a bigger pan on the source. hated that shit.

the new ghostbusters movie is really good if you hate yourself

you have logic songs on tape? :O

also yay it arrived safely! :^)

Mal Waldron - The Quest [New Jazz, 1961] (1st impressions)

This album is fucking fire! It’s 1961, and the ghost of Charlie Parker enters the recording studio along with Eric Dolphy (alto sax & clarinet), Mal Waldron (piano), Ron Carter (cello), Joe Benjamin (bass) and Charlie Persip (drums) to further push the exploding jazz scene.
This is a bop album by definition but it stretches into avantgarde territory quite consistently. Dolphy’s contributions are above average even for him, featuring a rooted bop style with frequent hints of the more eclectic style he was developing around this time. The cello is a very welcome addition to the set as well, giving the songs a unique feel and change in pace. The bass playing sounds tin-like and thin at times, which adds a unique characteristic to the overall sound. The drums are almost always on point (frequently ‘battling’ with the bass), and the solo on We Diddit is lightning. The piano really sets the mood of the pieces and it’s clear to the listener that they were composed upon the piano by Waldron. However, every piece seems to have a little more flavour from one of the artists (like the cello-lead Duquility, or drum-led We Diddit) leading to high replayability potential, and a unique overall product.
The compositions are fantastic here too - fun, engaging, a tad experimental, and enough room for the musicians to express themselves individually and unrestrainedly.
An under appreciated gem in Dolphy’s career, and highly recommended to those who enjoy modal jazz and bop with an edge of the avantgarde.

8.5 /10

so was i honestly, and i did definitely hate parts of it, but some parts i definitely did enjoy.

yep! he put out like 5 or so last year, i think he does that intermittently.

and damn, kudos on shipping the tapes so fast.

*****fuck bumping down to 8.0
Forgot to include that Waldron's piano seemed a little lost in it's own composition and did a poor job tying the pieces together.
The show belongs to Dolphy and Ervin, though, so it's not a huge problem. Still, it needs a deduction.

Means you're
T R V E
K V L T

>death metal
>kvlt
>not >>BRV00TAL

don't thank me, thank the good people at USPS!

It's weird, /daily/ is super slow at some points then you blink and 2 threads have been archives. Keep it cool boys, good night

>Dinosaur Jr. - You're Living All Over Me
I love this album. It strikes a great balance between distorted guitar lines and clean solo guitar stuff. Really nice grooves throughout the whole thing and the bass and drums mesh so well. The lead singer's voice is also very pleasant to listen to on top of the walls of sound. I also liked the weird experimental stuff throughout and on the song Poledo. green diamond/10

too bad that it is the only very good thing they have ever done

someone want in my tourney now that Julia is RIP?

guess not then

my BOY

Also, I just woke up from a nap at midnight and I can't go back to sleep. Should be an interesting day. I've been living on

Post your RYM chart thing, famu

heredy doode
non

wrong one sorry ffs Jangle go home

Good morning /daily/! How are you? What's your plans for today?

Posting yesterday's chart.

Omar Souleyman - Wenu Wenu - nice arabic pop/dabke with a modern touch. It’s good and interesting but it get’s a bit boring in the end. My favourite track is Warni Warni, you can find it on youtube, I remember that the video to it was pretty cool too. Still recommended, especially if you’re interested in arabic music, or just want to listen to something different. His previous albums are good too, if they aren’t even better, but I don’t really remember them. 3.0

John Fahey - Fare Forward Voyagers (Soldier's Choice) (1973) - That’s Fahey, what else need I say about it? If you haven’t got that album yet, do it now. 4.0

V.A - Radio Morocco - Nice album, some may say that the changes are too quick, but I didn’t find a fault. It reminds me a bit of my childhood, because when we had satelitary television, and there was nothing interesting to watch, we would just go through all of the channels, watching firstly all the European one, and then there were a lot of Arabic channels, and the music on them was interesting to me, but we usually quickly changed to another one. Good music for hot days, with a glass of Maghrebi mint tea or a cup of coffee. 3.0

Czesław Niemen - Enigmatic - Polish prog rock, like I stated before, I’m not a big fan of prog, though I still try it. and after hearing this I can honestly say that this is my favourite prog album. 4.0

Maurizio Pollini - Piano Sonatas Nos. 2 & 3 (1985) - Chopin’s Piano Sonata no. 2 in B Flat Minor is great, Sonata no.3 may be also very good, but after Sonata no.2 it’s hard to put something that’ll sound equally good. 4.0

Listening to Miles & Monk at Newport and drinking coffee. Maybe I'll go for a bike ride today.