Noise

I...
just don't get noise "music".
Like, what do you hear in it that gives you enjoyment or satifaction?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=e_5Xmk5zBpk
youtube.com/watch?v=F-kIMhSD5r8
youtube.com/watch?v=ofIgDmr4sNI
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texture_(music)
youtube.com/watch?v=dYtzNl48F60
youtube.com/watch?v=ROiAMXjytm4
youtube.com/watch?v=iI8ii6CT_pU
youtube.com/watch?v=r64SLDTLbPo
uhfmafia.bandcamp.com/album/four-days-asleep
youtube.com/watch?v=tyxptMXt41M
youtu.be/B24mXfXHo5I
youtube.com/watch?v=sG4Z8yVEHZI).
youtube.com/watch?v=zt5ZWdWewNM
youtu.be/1nTxbRyRMnY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's not music. It's just noise.

Now, if you like noise, there's nothing wrong with that. I will admit that noise can be pretty fucking gud, but don't call it music.

Depends on how broad your definition of music is. I consider it music, but I understand why people wouldn't.

just start with something popy and go further
youtube.com/watch?v=e_5Xmk5zBpk
youtube.com/watch?v=F-kIMhSD5r8

That's not poppy, that's just shit.
youtube.com/watch?v=ofIgDmr4sNI
This is a better entry to the genre.

texture and sometimes patterns

Why wouldn't people consider it music?

>sound
>texture

What did he mean by this?

It's a visceral experience. Sometimes it tickles you, sometimes it feels like lighting coursing through your body, sometimes it puts you in a trance, sometimes it makes you recoil in horror/disgust. It does way more on a physical level than just giving you chills like most other music.
Listen to Pulse Demon with an open mind. Close your eyes, put it on a volume that is loud but not uncomfortable, and let the waves wash through your body. It's a long album so you can stop once you get bored or if it's completely abhorrent. That's all there is to it really.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texture_(music)
If I had to guess what he meant, I would guess this

Lack of melody, rhythm, ect.

I don't like it myself, but I can see why people can like it. There is melody there, though it's certainty hard to find it.

Short answer: I like abrassive sounds mostly, that's why I listen to noise.

Longer answer: music gets boring for me when I don't look for extremes, artists who cross borders and find new things. That's how I got into noise, it's just so out-there, new, interesting. I think like everyone I started out with noisey music, musicians that experiment with non-harmonic sounds. I became interested in those concepts and found myself enjoying several noise releases and projects. It goes from soothing drones and white noise that's just nice listens and helps me fall asleep to harsh noise that represents pure outbursts of emotions, energy, etc. If you don't have any interest in exploring those things, in being confronted with the ugly then noise won't "click" with you and there isn't really any point in trying.

Melody and rhythm can both exist in noise music, and I don't see why lack of melody and rhythm means something isn't music.

The noise

No more like the texture of the sounds. I guess timbre is a better word

youtube.com/watch?v=dYtzNl48F60
This was my entry into the genre.

I love the fact that noise is so umprevedible and that I'll never know what the next sound is going to be, then as people said already the textures are cool and you can let your mind flow following the music and shit

I agree with you, and I'm too tired to play devil's advocate lol. I would even go one step further and consider field recordings music.

Noise music is basically self-punishment for masochists. I get the wish to eschew the conventional aspects of music of tonal melody and rhythm, and explore pure texture, but plenty of music does this. Free improvisation, electroacoustic improvisation, free jazz and contemporary classical music all do this - noise music is just EAI but specifically designed to damage your hearing.

unpredictable*

Also my introduction to the genre was Tauromachine but probably at the time I liked it because I was searching for unique music.

Why?

You'll have to be more specific; I don't know which part of my post you're questioning.

youtube.com/watch?v=ROiAMXjytm4
Have some racist harsh noise, on the house

>Noise music is basically self-punishment for masochists
and/or
>noise music is just EAI but specifically designed to damage your hearing.

Basically why you seem to invalidate noise music.

rec me some EAI

Throbbing Gristle

Thanks babe

i like the experience, how the noise blocks out everything else and insulates you, it's also very absurd and fun

They're industrial tho

if noise isn't music, why is it discussed on Sup Forums?

I just love the way it sounds lol its just like any other genre to me. you dont have to be listening to it with some edgy pseudo-occultist kind of outlook to like it, it's just an acquired taste; you just gotta find what you like about it. any sound or set of sounds or lack there of you enjoy for its auditory features is music senpai there's nothing that anyone can say "isn't music" ya know? check out Kazumoto Endo's While You Were Out, it was my intro to noise and i still love the hell out of it, all the cool sounds and how they come together is really engaging. Or if the lack of musical elements is too much at first, check out Merzbow's Merzbeat, it has a good mix of noise with musical elements and it might help you ease into noise as a whole. good luck senpai from a huge noisehead that doesn't regret getting into an awesome art form.

thanks
so the former because listening to noise music damages your hearing (I can't see why you'd want to damage your own hearing intentionally unless you have masochistic tendency, it's literally self harm)
I say the latter because, in my experience, the noise music I've listened to (Merzbow, Masonna, Aube, Incapacitants, Kazumoto endo, and probably a few others I can't remember right now) have all been atonal music with a lot of textural variation and development, that lacks tonal melody and has non-conventional rhythm, and generally (though not always) uses electronic means to produce sound. Basically it sounds like EAI does, I don't know if most noise music is improvised or through composed, but it sounds like EAI often does.
Compare this, for instance youtube.com/watch?v=iI8ii6CT_pU to an early Merzbow work youtube.com/watch?v=r64SLDTLbPo often the Merzbow sounds more akin to more through composed electronic music of the 1960s, but most often it sounds rather similar to the AMM. Merzbow's later work develops into a more consistent style, but in many respects is essentially the same as his earlier EAI and tape music, but is mixed in such a fashion that it often becomes extremely loud, extremely bass heavy and highly sibilant, which can of course cause cause hearing damage and pain to the listener. I suppose you could call that the influence of danger music, but it just irks me because the textural development can be quite interesting. I find the same is true with most of the other noise music I've heard, although "wall noise", ie. noise music without any development, is surely the epitome of aural masochism, as it has all the pain inducing sound of noise without any of the interesting development.

please stop. i listen to noise music at a comfortable volume like any other genre and so do most people you retard im enjoying it for its content not because im an edgy masochist or some shit what a dumb generalization

someone post the MERTSABAU on the island comic

And thank you, for all this illuminating information. But was your only point and argument that noise music is loud, harsh and distorted? Because that is pretty obvious, if you don't mind me saying. I think we can confidently say everyone here was aware of that, on some level.

uhfmafia.bandcamp.com/album/four-days-asleep
>shilling

>Implying a wall of noise can't exist in other music genres (shoegaze / Drone for example)

Also just listen to noise at a decent volume you idiot

where else is it gonna go.

>noise music damages your hearing
No more so than listening to any other genre at the same volume. You're awfully quick to draw a comparison to masochism, and I don't think the evidence is there.

/trash/

It's not the volume that matters, it's the dynamic range, if one section is so quiet you have to turn it up high to hear it, then the next section is at too high a volume to listen to then there's nothing you can do, asides from continually adjusting the volume to manually apply dynamic compression. Maybe it's just because I'm listening with headphones which tends to exacerbate the issue, but I've always come away from listening to noise with ringing in my ears, which is why I generally tend to avoid it.

>>/trash/

>quiet section in noise music

Wtf did you listen to?

>turning up the volume during a quiet section
found the problem

So basically you had a personal experience with noise music, found it painful, and then assumed all who listened to it found it similarly painful, and then that to listen to it frequently they must enjoy that pain?

Because that is, and I apologize for saying this, a retarded thing to think.

i listen with headphones all the time and no track ive ever heard fluctuates in volume THAT much. maybe itll fluctuate in pitch and itll go to a really high point and ill turn down the volume then but like that's really it. i listen to noise all the time and my hearing is fine because i like my hearing and take measures to keep it like listening at a comfortable volume, regardless of genre

I have literally never experienced this. What the fuck are you doing?

plenty of stuff does this, compare 5:05 to 5:30 here youtube.com/watch?v=tyxptMXt41M for instance
why? human physiology isn't that variable

"I'm afraid of spiders so everyone must be afraid of spiders"

well maybe not everyone listens to music like a retard like you do

problem with music is there´s oversaturation so privileged kids are not satisfied with anything anymore.
file sharing is gonna kill music it´s a real threat not a joke

rude
very different things, fear of spiders is irrational, hearing damage is real.

I have more problems listening to STGSTV than that honestly. That link isn't much more jarring than a sudden dissonant fortissimo in a symphony before a pianissimo section.

Human physiology is extremely varied, and it's not the only element at play here. Psychology is involved, and that is even more varied.

>hearing damage is real.
Something you've yet to provide any evidence of beyond a personal anecdote where you do something dumb.

yeah, my mate dan can listen to jet engines up close for hours without getting hearing damage
the problem is exacerbated by the fact that often the frequency spectrum peaks in the 3-5 kHz range in noise music, where the threshold of pain/hearing damage is much lower
what standard of evidence is required for an argument on Sup Forums?

What evidence do you have to hold to the standard?

>fear of things that can potentially kill you is irrational
I'm fine with spiders, but to say that a fear of them is irrational is pretty fucking stupid

Music is just presented noise you dickhead

>listen to jet engines up close
Just don't listen to them up close???¿¿

>literally 0 lethal spiders in the UK
>half of everyone here is terrified of spiders

CUTS is an amazing audio/visual group, I think it counts as noise not sure though

youtu.be/B24mXfXHo5I

The guys who did bunsen burner, the track that plays at the end of Ex Machina (although that song is more radio friendly than the rest of their stuff)

If you honestly have problems with that, it seems like your hearing is already completely fucked, or just very poor to begin with.
Really, a lot of classical music is way more dynamic than that. Compare the Merzbow album to a string quartet I've been into recently (youtube.com/watch?v=sG4Z8yVEHZI).

>putting stickers on your laptop

you can't consider those two projects noise music, really..

>60 replies and 2 images omitted. Click here to view.

Every fucking day someone makes this exact thread that goes along the lines of:

>LOL guise noise music amirite??
>what do u see in it? ur just pretending to like it lel

And EVERY DAY you fuckers fall for it!! Im so tired of these wet pussyrashes coming on here and trolling the fuck out of this board, but even worse is that Sup Forums has ZERO fucking awareness about how easy they are to play. Like fuck, every day there are countless "rec me musicc thx" threads when we have a perfectly good sticky with great info on how to find stuff, and STILL people reply to those. Like i dont know what to do. I wish this board the best but it's killing itself.

it's like, noise man.

you don't get it.

As far as music is concerned, noise is ultimate freedom. It makes free jazz look tame by comparison.

What is enjoyable about noise is that it creates a sonic landscape that is more interesting and diverse than the simple patterns that make up music.

>Throbbing Gristle
>EAI

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHHHHAHAHAAHAHAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAH

HAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAHAHAHAHA

what a fucking SJW, fighting against us because you want people to live like you want. Fuck you

Music is any sound that you like to listen. It could be either something that satisfies you emotionally or aesthetically. I like noise for the aesthetic and sometimes for the grand aura it creates when listened to on nice speakers for a long time.

>calls prurient & pharmakon shit
>posts fucking IAALOBO
Lmao

same 4 me desu senpai

Tim Hecker is the only worthwhile noise musician.

youtube.com/watch?v=zt5ZWdWewNM

What's a Merzbow album that's easier to start with? I tried Pulse Demon and it was insanity. Is Merzbeat good?

You can't consider Prurient noise music?

its the only thing that is still edgy so people worship it to be contrarians

Is this a stealth /noise/ thread back from the dead?

Fuck no

>Merzbow
What a hack. Do we not have standards of quality anymore? Why must music be reduced to literal noises? Your genre tag is a pure INSULT to the great genre of Electronic Dance Music, which is a genre of HAPPINESS! It brings people together!! All this does is tear the fundamental idea of music apart. I cannot sit and watch any longer as music is dismantled and destroyed by low standards. Merzbow, if you're hearing this, I ask you to STOP! please, for the love of music just STOP making this DRECK! My ears have simply had enough!

This whole thing you've just written than that legendary youtube comment stating that the music started in 1900. Music can be related to masochism but only on a certain level you shitlord. Reasons why'd anyone listen to it vary in many ways, one of them being a stress relief, one of the reasons why people enjoy drone metal and similar.

Noise listeners shouldn't be judged on this stupid basis and it necessarilly doesn't damage your hearing because everything else does if you listen to the max volume.

tl;dr you're an idiot

You are wrong

it makes me trip out and get lost in the sound

>all music is noise

He is right you know. Music is just noise that humans find pleasant for some reason.

*popular music. Fixed it for you. You have 0 knowledge about music theory or classical of course.

point me in the direction of this youtube comment

thanks

The vast majority of classical music is literally constructed by simple patterns that get transformed through simple rules

relevant

György Ligeti

Proof or GTFO.

>Listen to Pulse Demon with an open mind. Close your eyes, put it on a volume that is loud but not uncomfortable
>not uncomfortable

why would you do that

it just adds to the experience

Look up rhythmic modes, fugal subjects, (leit)motifs, musical cells, sonata form, theme and variations, cyclical structure, 12 tone composition, serialism, sequences, and the patterns found in early 18th century composition composers in Naples did that I'm ashamed to say I can't remember the name of.
Classical music can be very complex but that doesn't mean it isn't completely grounded in patterns.

What are you even talking about?

If you listen exclusively to noise and you want to get into poppier music,
peep this shit mane.
youtu.be/1nTxbRyRMnY

Dodecaphony is not particularly simple, and its application in composition results in music that avoids simple patterns, not in results in. Serialism is even more general, and again results in music that eschews simple patterns in melody and harmony, and when applied more generally even in rhythm and/or timbre. Neither is counterpoint particularly simple, but regardless your analysis mistakes the rules for the game. Yes, there are some simple principles that underlie 12-tone serialism, but the application of them does not result in simplicity, just as the simple rules in a games like Chess and Go result in complexity and an intrinsic lack of simplicity in the game itself. Incredibly complex macroscopic patterns emerge from the rules of Go, just as incredibly complex patterns arise from serialist technique, but all this is irrelevant when you consider that classical music *as a genre* since the 1960s has been a genre where "anything goes", 12 tone technique may be employed out of choice, or rejected at the composer's whim, atonality and tonality are available to the composer, there are no rules and no restrictions, but rules may be applied by the composer if they so choose.

I hate every word of this post. you basically just rephrased
>Classical music can be very complex but that doesn't mean it isn't completely grounded in patterns
in a much more dense fashion.
I hate you and everything you stand for.

Brevity is the last refuge of the scoundrel.

Believe it or not, being concise without losing detail takes more skill than being verbose.