What went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0n_gJ13JZ-4
youtu.be/_rsZdjGzOpA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Nothing. Best prog band of my lifetime.

djent

Opeth never made djent

Nothing. The only wrong thing about em is that people keep on praising the mediocre album that is Blackwater Park instead of a masterpiece such as Morningrise.

Fucking love Opeth. But let's be honest guys, last two albums have been lacking. I think the squad is getting old. Just that simple. The band is in their twilight years. I think their highest quality albums are behind them.

What's your favorite Opeth album boys?

Pic related

Damnation > Ghost Reveries > Morningrise > Heritage > Blackwater Park > Still Life > Pale Communion > Deliverance > Watershed > MAYH > Orchid

Prediction for Sorceress: It'll rank between BWP and SL.

That's the problem.

How does it feel being literally retarded?

Still Life = Morningrise > Orchid > Damnation > Heritage > BWP > Ghost Reveries > Watershed > Deliverance > MAYH >>> Pale Communion

The last two albums are just different. There are no more screams and growls sadly. Opeth is the only band that has perfected the use of growling and clean vocals. There are also great riffs, memorable acoustic and electric guitar solos, cleans vocals. There's definitely something for everyone. Are they releasing a new album soon? Would love to hear what they'll do next.

Mikael fucked up his voice so he turned Opeth into generic 70s prog worship to give him an excuse not to use harsh vocals anymore.

It's not that I don't like Opeth's clean vocal albums: damnation is my 2nd favorite album.

It' just that I felt like they stopped trying. None of the songs are remotely quotable. They didn't try anything new in 2 albums, they haven't innovated that distinct Opeth sound.

This band can be great if it takes some chances, but don't forget these guys have been touring and making music for years. Many, many years now. The glory days might just be behind them.

If so, I'm ok with that. They've had a hell of a career.

That's the problem. The vocals are too soft.

I don't see how either of their last 2 albums are "generic". I don't see many bands making rock music like that in the 2010s. Garage rock fans don't complain when a modern day band invokes The Stooges, but for some reason progfags start bleeding out their vaginas whenever a band like Opeth channels King Crimson.

Heritage is just a consistently great album from beginning to end. Pale Communion is a little bit spottier (Cusp of Eternity is kinda pointless tbqh famalam) but the high points on that album (Elysian Woes and River, specifically) would be highpoints on ANY album of theirs.

Katatnoia could still make good music after softening up

>Heritage is just a consistently great album from beginning to end.
This to be completely honest. Heritage made me realise just how shitty meal fans are. It was an amazing folky-jazzy fusion album and people still found a way to shit on it.

youtube.com/watch?v=0n_gJ13JZ-4

This is unironically one of their best songs

> BWP > Ghost Reveries

Not a fan of BWP either senpai. Should probably change that even though I cant

Also as good as Aakesson is I kinda think Opeth's "new sound" can be attributed to his arrival.

Peter knew his place better, did textures better and had more melodic solos. Aakesson just kinda wanks around. The solo on Wreath is better than everything Aakesson has done.

youtu.be/_rsZdjGzOpA
He's definitely still got his chops. I would really like to hear some 70s prog with screams and growls on the new album. I know they're capable of doing it and making it sound different and memorable.

Steven Wilson

They need to step up the vocals for their next album

this is so lame

Excessively poor use of repetition. 16 bars of the same meandering acoustic passage. Steven Wilson is on some of their records.