/classical/

Post the most anxious common practice music you know.

/classical/ has a theme now: youtube.com/watch?v=D0RrT6hMOgI

>inb4 hey, connoisseurs, what games are these composers? xD
youtube.com/watch?v=C78HBp-Youk

>inb4 how do i into bach?
youtube.com/watch?v=jgR8yriJt7k

>inb4 rec complex bach works (srlsly)
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4991435DC2E3575C

>General folder. Renaissance up to 20th century/modern classical
mega.co.nz/#F!mMYGhBgY!Ee_a6DJvLJRGej-9GBqi0A
>General folder #2. Mostly Romantic up to 20th century/modern, but also includes Bach and Mozart subfolders
mega.co.nz/#F!lIh3GRpY!piUs-QdhZACFt2hGtX39Rw
>General folder #3. Mostly 20th century/modern with other assorted bits and pieces
mega.co.nz/#F!Y8pXlJ7L!RzSeyGemu6QdvYzlfKs67w
>Debussy Folder: Recordings of Debussy's most important/famous works
mega.co.nz/#F!DdJWUBBK!BeGdGaiAqdLy9SBZjCHjCw
>Opera folder: Construction in progress. Features recorded productions of various operas
mega.co.nz/#F!4EVlnJrB!PRjPFC0vB2UT1vrBHAlHlw
>Renaissance Folder
mega.co.nz/#F!ygImCRjS!1C9L77tCcZGQRF6UVXa-dA
>Crudblud stuff
crudblud.sjm.so/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=I6U_PVHmtgs
youtube.com/watch?v=dtAteboP-2w
youtube.com/watch?v=Q_O9YQUwz2o
youtube.com/watch?v=32_t6smyCNI
youtube.com/watch?v=4RQoJjhFv2s
youtube.com/watch?v=9Donaa0mawc
youtube.com/watch?v=kOLvk0T6y94
youtube.com/watch?v=a9dCW0dJrCo
youtube.com/watch?v=O2lr8X77-mw
youtube.com/watch?v=7e9VPsa7EKc
youtube.com/watch?v=GE8W9KbANeM
youtube.com/watch?v=j5M4h4CE97E
youtube.com/watch?v=SZazYFchLRI
youtube.com/watch?v=Eab_beh07HU
youtube.com/watch?v=-J4qbIKaF9w
youtube.com/watch?v=eTZ33EVK3Ug
youtube.com/watch?v=f4X9ciZfZQw
youtube.com/watch?v=H2hlsVYEXqc
youtube.com/watch?v=e3QV2ADmf1o
youtube.com/watch?v=wbLcI9-Js0U
youtube.com/watch?v=9L9IQL4unl8
youtube.com/watch?v=EZLjf_m6j0A
youtube.com/watch?v=yIfIUyj6eDc
strawpoll.me/10867477
youtube.com/watch?v=aUANffW3EkQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Have a spicy thread, everyone.

>these youtube links
Good job OP

>Post the most anxious common practice music you know.
youtube.com/watch?v=I6U_PVHmtgs

Well in pop the whole song is supposed to be interesting. There's usually at least two great ideas, a verse and chorus. Or on the experimental end you have many interesting sections. In classical and jazz they just wank over the one or two good ideas they had at the start. Jazz is the worst for it since the development isn't even supposed to be good in itself, it's them trying to make up something good on the spot which is incredibly stupid since good stuff takes time and effort and doesn't come spontaneously.

Poptism saved music.

shut the fuck up

>be me
>wonder what malinowski has been up to
>go to his channel
>see this

youtube.com/watch?v=dtAteboP-2w

Why?

>In classical and jazz they just wank over the one or two good ideas they had at the start
If you cant admire the ideas composers put down to develop these one or two good ideas then maybe classical isnt for you

youtube.com/watch?v=Q_O9YQUwz2o

>listens to beethoven once

i like it

That's the thing though, an idea that's good enough doesn't require development. There is only so much duration you can have of the highest quality within one single idea. Once that's done you should move to the next idea instead of developing it. Then maybe repeat both and end the song.

Forms like the rondo or even short preludes had it right. What they lacked was immersion, and pop gave it that with human voices, feelings and sounds.

would you take top 40 music any day over the the classical canon, if you had to pick one?

>Post the most anxious common practice music you know.
Like this?
youtube.com/watch?v=32_t6smyCNI

Top 40 isn't the best of poptism so no. That's a false comparison.

>prlrm-pi-pi-pi
>prlrm-pi-pi-pi
>prlrm-pi-pi-pi

What did he mean by this?

I'm trying to get at the characteristics that attract you to pop. Since you don't consider top 40 the best, I rule out "the most superficially attractive as possible" criterion.

I was waiting for it then kek'd realizing it was *that* Vivaldi rhythm.

Does anyone know if Schubert was into Vivaldi? Compare the Maiden Quartet and the String Quintet.

Development is my favorite part about classical music. It creates tension on both a formal level, by liquidating and transforming the themes and on a harmonic level by constantly changing keys. IMO development is when composers show the true extent of their prowess. I don't like rondos that much and I think jumping from one theme to the next lacks cohesion (in general, there are exceptions obviously) which is very much unfavorable to me.
You can disagree and that's fine. The beauty of music is that there's enough variation to suit the needs/desires of everyone.

I don't think top 40 is the most attractive possible since it compromises a lot for commercial reasons. But I already described some superficial characteristics.

What you call tension is the fact that the theme has been taken to a lower level of quality, to take your example, the theme was perfect for only one key and then it is taken to keys that suit it less well. Development is when composers show their ability to keep small amount of life in a theme that is being dragged through hostile conditions. That takes craft of course but music has been moving away from that as time goes on. Immersion for the listener is much more important.

Rondos don't usually (from my experience) just jump from 1 theme to another, they usually play a theme, develop that theme in 1 direction and lead back into the main theme, and then develop the theme in a different direction. Or at least that's how I look at it.

Best piano concerto of 19th century and why is it Schumann Op.54?
youtube.com/watch?v=4RQoJjhFv2s

Could you give us a few recs of your favorite pop artists? I'd like to listen to more sophisticated pop.

I'm sorry but I'm not seeing how putting a theme in a different key lowers the quality of the music. If you mean that you feel uneasy hearing something in the "wrong" key and that unease lowers the quality of the music then yeah sure. You and I get immersed in different ways I guess. Because that unease is what immerses me (and doesn't lower the quality of the music).

I wasn't implying they did and if my post made it seem like I was then sorry.

Post sea storms
youtube.com/watch?v=9Donaa0mawc
youtube.com/watch?v=kOLvk0T6y94

Paul McCartney. I'm not telling you any others because you'll just shitpost.

youtube.com/watch?v=a9dCW0dJrCo

>not telling you any others because you'll just shitpost
>posts the one most receptive to shitposting
Just post the rest man

What a gay sissy "storm".

I'm not interested in shitposting. I want pop recs from people who are familiar with classical. If you have anything less mainstream than a Beatle, rec away.

Try Roy Orbison.

youtube.com/watch?v=O2lr8X77-mw
youtube.com/watch?v=7e9VPsa7EKc
youtube.com/watch?v=GE8W9KbANeM
youtube.com/watch?v=j5M4h4CE97E

>she doesn't skip the recitatives

>tried to kill myself on the railroad tracks but chickened out when I felt the vibrations of the approaching train

music for this feel?

youtube.com/watch?v=SZazYFchLRI

youtube.com/watch?v=Eab_beh07HU

youtube.com/watch?v=-J4qbIKaF9w

youtube.com/watch?v=eTZ33EVK3Ug

>Once that's done you should move to the next idea instead of developing it.
sounds boring
you should love chopin

If I go to a classical concert all alone might I find a friend or even a gf that's into classical music?

>tfw no gf

The only time I went to concerts was when I was a child with my entire class, I really enjoyed it but I never went alone.

How do you dress for a classical concert?

probably not

it's all old people

No lmao

Will I befriend old people? Seems actually fun and interesting.

I'm lonely

take lessons at a music school

I watched a movie with this piece and I got obssessed over it

youtube.com/watch?v=f4X9ciZfZQw

So now I want to listen to more Schubert but I don't know where to start, I might read the wikipedia but figured you guys could be a more valuable source

here's a meme
youtube.com/watch?v=H2hlsVYEXqc

Yes, I'm starting piano classes next week. Hope I find a friend or someone nice.

if you have the option to take lessons with a bunch of other students in the same room, even though it's less efficient, do it

I took the option for private piano classes :/, quite expensive ones at that by some 40 years old concert player. I hope I can make friends with him, I'll invite him over to my place after the second class.

I'm not gay.

>I'm not gay

lol ok

good luck with that
consider that alternative if you're still lonely after some time
there's another benefit to working with other people
when individual motivations are aligned with social motivations, we produce more

I want a friend in my life.

I think you'll enjoy this video: youtube.com/watch?v=e3QV2ADmf1o

>you will never play this with your gf

Listen to his String Quintet (not to be mistaken with the Trout puano quintet) first and fore most. It's the greatest piece of chamber music ever composed.

Then anything from D. 911 (Winterreise) onward. Listen to the rest of the trio you linked, the Fantasy in f minor, Drei klavierstucke, Impromptus, the last three piano sonatas, the e-flat mass, the C major symphony.

If you dig that stuff, listen to his b-flat piano trio, piano sonata d. 845, the unfinished symphony, arpeggione sonata.
That's just a start. His later output is really a goldmine.

Why? Most people are awful and 95% of the "friends" you make don't give two shits about you.

>Not wanting a good friend in your life.

My last best (and only) friend passed away in a car accident 3 months ago. I've been lonely ever since.

I don't understand this idea of "oh people are so awful", I mean yes many are but many aren't.

I, on the other hand, think user was generous with his 95%. I find a lot more than that are intolerable if you have any degree of intimacy.

A good friend is a rare gem.

good shit user, thanks

autism

I guess so, there's a lot of human filth out there. I know a lot of high class people so I don't get exposed a lot to the low class trash that some people are.

autism is a buzzword that has lost all its meaning.

t. autist

>underage

You can, you just need to be able to talk to people in a manner that makes them want to talk back. I talk to loads of old people at concerts I go to who then invite me for drinks and got a gf out of a piano trio concert I went to a couple of years ago.

But yeah, just strike up conversation about the music with someone who seems vaguely receptive and you're on your way :^)

Thank you very much for the answer.

I'll have to learn a bit more music theory first I guess, I don't want to seems pretentious but it'll be difficult to have a nice conversation with someone while being a know nothing on topic classical music.

you don't need music theory to share your enthusiam for certain composers

/classical/ gets away with shitposting, but you obviously shouldn't have us as a reference

learn how to be a positive person and the rest will come naturally

To be honest the majority of people there won't particularly want to talk theory. Talk about your favourite pieces by any of the composers featured in the concert, favourite performers/recordings, any other concerts you've been to recently or any you plan on going to and then you can start talking to the other person more individually i.e. do they come often, what do they do and build from there.

If you start talking about how interesting it is that the retrograde of the fugal subject is expounded in the subdominant as the second theme, you're probably going to be met with blank stares or confronted with somebody who knows a lot more than you do and so you won't have much of a conversation

You're right, tomorrow I'm going to a concert and I'll see how it goes. I really enjoy classical music, so even if I don't make any new connections I'll be fine.

youtube.com/watch?v=wbLcI9-Js0U

What're you listening to?
youtube.com/watch?v=9L9IQL4unl8

Byrd's mass for 3 voices

I went to a ballet today /classical/, and the programme had credits for "libretto". How can a ballet have a libretto? Isn't the libretto the words that are sung in an opera?

youtube.com/watch?v=EZLjf_m6j0A

Add a soundtrack to this image

scarlatti

see

Storyline of the ballet

see

see

see

The Miraculous Meme
With its GOAT recording, too

see

youtube.com/watch?v=yIfIUyj6eDc

i'm dying to hear something similar to this

can someone help

pls

Pick a meme

strawpoll.me/10867477

strawpoll.me/10867477

strawpoll.me/10867477

Does Ivan Moravec uncuck Chopin's shit up?

>no Mozart
>no Chopin

shit poll

I have a bach for beginners book.

Once I get my scanner working I can scan everything. Only like ~60 pages though

He's not a meme. He's Santa Claus.
And we all know Fernyhough is for Poly and Stockhausen is an avant-teen meme.
So that leaves the Xenakis.

video is not available

REEEEEEEE!!!!!1!!!

gonna win

youtube.com/watch?v=aUANffW3EkQ

try this

not music

Not an argument

correct, stating a fact is not an argument

Not an argument

i must die

correct, stating a fact is not an argument