What sets grimes apart from other pop artists?

What sets grimes apart from other pop artists?

Other urls found in this thread:

vulturehound.co.uk/2016/03/grimes-nottingham-rock-city-live-review/
youtube.com/watch?v=s7rM67NPhZ8
youtube.com/watch?v=5_9o5sYBuQk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>5th Grimes thread in an hour.

Fucking Kill yourselves. Worse than Kshitters.

she is much uglier than other mainstream pop artists, and her music isn't as good. Reeks of amateur hour

this. grimes is a fucking rat.

She can't perform her shit live?

was gonna say this FOR FUCKS SAKE MODS DELETE THESE PATHETIC THREADS

She needs to stop trying to be a pop star. It's seriously embarrassing.

I was just wondering why she gets so much hype, jeez guize

writes her own songs, creates all her own artwork and produces everything herself in her own house
only thing that she didn't do with Art Angels was that someone else mastered it

Shut the fuck up, you're still part of the problem

And you can fucking tell

Highly suggest asking this in Grimes general if you want some actual answers.

and grimesfags say bjorkfags are the worst, jesus fucking christ

She's a meth addict?

Enjoy worshipping your shit idol

I don't listen to grimes. I'm trying to wonder why the fuck she gets so much praise on here

musician

and that's a pretty good thing in today's world, I think

its always been an amateur project, even now its one

yeah this is largely why i love her to be honest not enough pop stars openly saying i got really fucking high and made this awesome music

plus she just has that look you can see the light in her

That's why: Impressive profile, isn't? Even Bjork would envy her.

her eyebrows

her beauty

(You)

Just because you don't like her it doesn't mean she's bad and ugly. It only means you're a pleb.

Don't you see this thread wasn't opened by a Grimes fan, you idiot? Eat shit.

t. Claire

She needs to stop trying to be a fucking pop star and just go full experimental.

yeah this is getting out of hand. She's fine, but she's not nearly good enough to warrant all this discussion from these waifu buttholes.

ITT: people being mad over a female artist

Anything new?

>Hate Grimes
>See Grimes thread
>Open it just to complain about Grimes threads instead of ignoring it

What did they mean by this?

They're whiny bitches or autists. Or both.

Talent - 'nuff said.

correct

she's kind of wasting her talent. i'm convinced she could be making many albums that Sup Forums fawns over if they're anything like a fusion of her pre-Art Angels work. even the Sup Forumstants who hate her personality would probably come to like her if she shifted/reverted her tastes a bit.

her personality and inventiveness

other pop stars all fit pretty neatly into a generic pop star archetype, but Grimes is a completely unrestrained Id

also her reference points usually are not seen in pop music... she's a goofy deviantart weeb girl and there's nothing else like that in pop... she's post-internet in a way that no other pop star is

and she's DIY

She should stay with indie, If she truly tries to go pure pop she'll be crushed by Taylor, Selena, Ariana, Rihanna, and Adele. The mainstream will not embrace her quirky voice and if she alienates her indie base too much she'll become a mere foot note.

>it's not actually the music
>it's the facts about it that I've read on wikipedia
okay, now I get it! the music is as shit as usual, but she created shit without the help of others and that makes her shit more enjoyable to smell. good job!

There's place for her in the pop scene. Grimes doesn't need to compete with Taylor, Selena, Ariana, Rihanna, and Adele, she could have her own niche. I think that whatever she will do next musically, her future is pretty much guaranteed. She will have a fanbase for many years to come.

I just hope she will never give up synths and samplers and go for "real" instruments. Her unique style makes her special.

her eyeliner fucking sucks

What do you mean she doesn't need to compete. In the world of pop all that matters is social media followers and chart positions.

Juat ask yourself: what other artists are really similar to Grimes (including her skills)?

Personally I don't believe in taking "professional" critics' opinions any more seriously than others, but - with that said - here's an intriguing one I just came across:

>Highlights of the show came in the form of “Genesis”, set closer “Kill V. Maim”, and most of all “Oblivion” which proved to throw fans into a frenzy. The crowd remained enthused throughout the set, each song performed with a consistency and vigour that comes from years of performing and hours of hard work in becoming the type of performer that Grimes is.
>And that’s just it. Grimes is not just a singer. Or an artist. Or a dancer. Or a music producer. She is all of these things and more. Multimedia is her bread and butter. She takes ideas from music, and art, and dance, and creates something that translates so perfectly to her audience through both a recording on your computer and in front of you on a stage.
>Just like any genre or artist, Grimes does not make music that is bound to impress everyone. However I’d urge anyone I know to go to her next tour, sink a few pints (which this reviewer may or may not have done) and sit back, relax and enjoy the show. Because if you’re not astounded by the show in front of you, we’ll then you’re just wrong, I’m afraid.
vulturehound.co.uk/2016/03/grimes-nottingham-rock-city-live-review/

>In the world of pop all that matters is social media followers and chart positions.
Not really for her. Because she's in control of everything in her music, she gets much more money than your regular popstar. The ROI is much higher, so she doesn't really need big number of followers and stuff. Yes, she will not have a mansion or expensive cars, but she could live more than decent from her music. She's not the puppet of record labels, forced to make profits for them.

There aren't people similar to Grimes so

She should care about the fans

So, that sets her apart from other artists (not just pop*). There's only one Grimes.

*btw, she's more like an electronic artist, than pure pop

Ok...so here are 3 artists I listed with their highest video viewership on youtube. Guess which one is grimes

She cares about her fans. But what has to do with social media followers and chart positions?

The modern popstar doesn't make anything of lasting worth. They just keep themselves relevant by having temporary hits.

>"you're a pleb!"
>says someone using the windows operating system
>says someone who streams music in browser
>says someone who does not play a musical instrument
>says someone who has not had any formal music instruction
>says someone who does not know basic music theory
>says someone who does not wear designer shoes
>says someone who drives a car with an automatic transmission
the only pleb here is you

nor has grimes

>38,583,647 views
This must be Grimes. That's a lot for an indie artist, without the bugdet of someone like Katy Perry or Beyonce. Consider that she started from almost zero: youtube.com/watch?v=s7rM67NPhZ8

The big popstars aren't her competition.

Grimes is Alternative straight down to the person. What she does shouldn't exist at all, but for that reason it's a really big statement of an artist declaring themselves.

There's no comparison to be made with commercial-pop singers.
The whole point of her is representing an individualistic identity. It shouldn't be on such a level of popularity on any planet.

Literally nothing, she is bland trash

Such a try hard. You're still pleb.

Your posts are always bland trash. Give up, twat. You're making me ashamed of liking Slowdive, you fucking moron.

Time will tell. The pop music we have now will grow stagnant and ideas will slowly be pulled from creative pockets.

yes because in the eyes of lazy neckbearded NEETs, being anything other than a music listener with hot opinions is trying hard.

Montie why dont you like the Grimes? Did you try listening to her ironically?

Still pleb. Stil a try hard. Look into your mirror and say: PLEB.

The concern seems to be with numbers and not whomever the demographic is. Again it's not normal music.

We'll see. So far she proved to be relevant.

see
>Again it's not normal music
yeah normally music is good

If her music was annoying it would be more successful.

>all this bullshit and still not talking about her music

>normally music is good
You're new here.

>bait of this quality
do you faggots even try any more?

>taking pride in the amount of years you've wasted discussing memes on a chinese cartoon forum
wew lad

Maybe if you stopped forcing yourself to like pretentious hipster garbage so you can be accepted by strangers, you would stop listening to Grimes and start listening to good music.

Can you name some of this "good music", for someone who's tricking themselves into experiencing enjoyment of Grimes' music as a means of group security?

Not that user, but stop it with this stupid pretentious attitude. Grimes makes great music, like it or not. You know, you're not the supreme judge of music...

You're going to shit on anything I suggest but whatever

youtube.com/watch?v=5_9o5sYBuQk

>"stop with this pretentious attitude"
>shits on anybody who insults his waifu
check'd though

>le Grimes meme
>kek
this is textbook homosexuality

That's a really great album i never see posted, okay it's better than Grimes you can have that one.

You suffer of pretentiousness. You only listen to le arty artists. Btw, that song is mediocre.

It'll take me a while to listen to it. Not really into it so far, but can see the appeal.

No. It's not better than Grimes just because it was made by Brian Eno & John Cale. You're too easily impressionable.

Kpop is way more cancerous.

I particularly like the opener and Footsteps
how would you know what my music library is like based on one recommendation?
Definitely worth it
>dude you only like it because it was made by two talented artists; you're soooo impressionable
>coming from a grimesfag
log out

How to rustle Sup Forumstants: Be a grimefag
topkek bois

Grimes pleb here. What album should I start on?

Halfaxa or Geidi Primes.
Likely Halfaxa. Listen in serial order.

>serial order
dumbass

great, another grimes thread

at least you people don't post this shit in the /daily/ threads. it's the one place left on this board where people don't discuss that bitch

an image as low quality as your b8

Thanks mate. Appreciate it

Visions.

No. The difference is that Taylor is a major label artist with lots of people working for her, while Grimes is an indie artist, doing almost everything by herself.

If you like mainstream pop, start with Art Angels and work your way backward through her discography. Otherwise start with her earliest Geidi Primes and work your way forward. And don't forget to check out Darkbloom (technically not an album, but essential listening nonetheless.)

Yes, "order" was technically redundant. I'm used to working on software where I consider elements that will be prefetched or fed in on one cache line to be "serial", even if they're not actually next to each other, or are interleaved in a predictable pattern.

I'm sorry my oversight has caused you discomfort.

I think the phrase you were looking for was "chronological order"

it's summer, what did you expect?

I meant listen to the songs within the album in order. Some people don't like the sound of a song, at first, and skip it.

They should probably listen in chronological order too though.