Why is this so highly revered?

Why is this so highly revered?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KGE7q0oDlEI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

context, and to a lesser extent, concept.

muh 9/11

It sounds like 9/11 desu

The symbolism is literally so good that it got perfect scores

It's one of the few albums that can genuinely be considered pretentious. The whole hype behind it is the context and concept, while the actual music is very mediocre

kek, I didn't even read up on the concept, is that why I didn't immediately see it as a masterpiece?

>Basinski has said that he finished the project the morning of the September 11 attacks on the World Trade Center in New York City, and sat on the roof of his apartment building in Brooklyn with friends listening to the project as the World Trade Center towers collapsed.

i never understood this. America is being attacked and the towers are right in front of you, everyone is scared and panicking, "Hey guys want 2 hear my new album?? i think it really goes well with what we're seeing!!!"

It DOES go well...

I agree. I'm talking about as it was happening. Making the connections in his head while watching it is one thing. Its another to stop, go downstairs, bring back up audio equipment, put on his new music, and continue watching. Its BS.

well, what's wrong with that?

Even if you don't read up on the concept, the symbolism is clear and beautiful. I mean... it can transmit a lot of meanings even if you don't know the 09/11 thing

>didn't live through 9/11 or doesn't remember it

He didn't even do the whole sound disintegration thing first, hell he didn't even do it the best, also the whole 9/11 thing is really cheap.

one of my favorites before I even knew bout the 9/11 shit. Someone linked it to me and found it pretty cozy. Listened to it alot while playing dark souls.

youtube.com/watch?v=KGE7q0oDlEI

>He didn't even do the whole sound disintegration thing first

[citation needed]

SHallow Rewards is always right

I think Stockhausen did something similar, not 100% sure though.

hold on, it's starting to click...

so fucking spot on

Or is it actually?

It sounds beautiful.

If you dislike this album you were literally born after 1995 and have 0 taste.

I'm born 1996 and have more taste than you ever will, faggot. And this album is pretentious shit for wannabe Avant-teens

I still like it, but yeah I'll agree the whole 9/11 thing is bollocks. I remember going to New York last year and they have an entire room dedicated to listening to it at the fucking 9/11 museum.

It's absolute trash, made by a pretentious avant-garde wannabee. The music itself is shit and is only held up through an old musique concrete gimmick and a horrible and probably fake backstory.

Kek. Check out this buttmad millenial faggot who doesn't know what life was like before high speed internet and social media. Dlp. Is a fucking masterpiece and you were too young to remember 9/11 properly. Fuck off back to plebbit.

"It's trash, it's pretentious"

Anybody who dislikes this piece is a tasteless faggot with no attention span who lacks the cognitive ability to recognize true beauty. Basinski is no genius, but this piece is a beautiful statement that was only contexulized after it was completed, what else was there to do on that day as a NY native but sit and watch the destruction unfold and part of your city disintegrate?

this.

also i really like it honestly

>compose a shitty piece
>loop it and make it sound worse every time
>get rich as avant teens jerk off over it

>this album is pretentious shit for wannabe Avant-teens

I know people over the age of 30 studying musicology who would disagree with that statement.

My dad works at Juliard and he can beat those people up

If you don't like dlp 1.1 you legit have autism and can't into emotion.

What do you listen to, then?

Oh wait... lemme guess... Sup Forums approved indie rock? lol

>implying Sup Forums approved """""'avant-garde""""" is better

Kek. Sure. Not that that place is impressive anymore anyway.

I fucking love this album. A 10? Fuck no, why does this deserve a ten over anything else. Shallow rewards is 100% right, the 9/11 stuff is really really douchey. But that isn't an argument against the music, that's an argument against basinski.

>formulaic, derivative and accessible garbage rock music for millennial nu-male faggots
>better than a beautiful, conceptual and minimalist piece

all of my keks. kys you fucking plebeian shitstain

dude 9/11 lmao

Why are people so ass blasted about the 10? It got a fucking 9.4 when it first dropped as a collection. It does deserve the high score. It simply sounds fantastic.

>beautiful, conceptual and minimalist piece
hahahahahahahahahahahaha
I bet you think the same thing about 4'33

This desu.

I like the music but Chris Ott gives the real story of how this album wasn't even made with 9/11 in mind.

...i just think it sounds nice desu

>44 / 0 / 24 / 2

w e w sure is samefag in here. this albums is shit and so is that hack

I totally agree, it sounds great. But it's not "perfect record!" Great. If someone had a fucking great melody idea, and then played it for an hour, and then put more and more effects on it as it went, does that deserve a ten, when such a massive album like Soundtracks for the blind is seen as a ten? No, man. It sounds great, I love the concept a lot, but it's just not ten out of ten material.

i literally just entered the thread
it's 5am where i am and i'm shitfaced, just let me enjoy repetitive music for an hour

Backpambient is shit and anyone who listens to it should be destroyed.

Brilliant argument

Brian Eno, William Basinski, Helios, the list goes on!

He didn't. Not 100% sure though.

I loved this album even before I knew about all the 9/11 shit. I just really love the concept and I think it was executed perfectly. Those four notes are just so haunting. I don't think any of the other Disintegration Loops are nearly as good as 1.1, although I still enjoy 3, 5, and 6 a fair bit. Basinski seems pretty pretentious though, the more I read about him the less I want to enjoy his music, but I don't let it affect my love for 1.1, Melancholia, and El Camino Real.

>Backpambient is shit and anyone who listens to it should be destroyed.

t. arrogant hipster pseud

do you not even hear how ridiculous the term "backpambient" is to use sincerely? you modish dunce

>listening to nu-ambient

you literally don't even need the context to sense the weight of 1.1
it adds to it though

You people are such gutter trash. One skim through this thread.

Just lol.

Alvin Lucier did it first

What else can you do? Spending time with your loved ones listening to music like that might provide a comforting solace for some. Doing stuff like that is all you can do in fucked up situations that, while they don't affect you specifically, involve the city where you live (i.e., terrorist attacks, robberies, school shootings)

Anyone who likes this album is literally a fucknigger.

it isn't

Everyone thinks he's a cringe-worthy sell out for doing it. Maybe if the music was half decent people would respect him.

Soundtracks for the Blind is a 10/10.

Just finish the first one. This is the greatest piece of music ever made.

The RYM reviews for this make me cringe so hard

agreed

but i just like it because it sounds good. incredibly simple and repetitive, but it works out for basinski

kill yourself embryo

I think it's a more rewarding experience if you approach it as you would a Brakhage film in that a lot of its value comes from its material aspects; just as Mothlight "only" is moth wings stuck on a film strip, The Disintegration Loops is "only" a tape loop disintegrating before your eyes. everybody's appreciation of modern art will vary, but for my money if the piece is aesthetically pleasing/interesting (as in the case of both Basinski & Brakhage) and innovative, I'd consider it successful.

lol