Did they ever experiment with noise

Did they ever experiment with noise

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DKo73roXiec
youtube.com/watch?v=p8cUIDXlS6s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

MARY MARY MARY MARY MARY MARAYYYYY

Aumgn and Perking O are pretty dissonant and atonal. Maybe not pure noise, but as close as they got.

Semi-related.

Do people like the 2004 remasters of these albums? I hear they removed the audible hiss you would hear on the originals. Should I get them?

CAN I bump this thread?

Did you ever bump the thread

am i the only one who didn't like any of these at all?

Yes.

Only versions I've really hard.

I have Tago Mago on vinyl(the remaster) and there's no hiss

yes even normie people can find a Can song they like

No, I'm sure there's plenty of people here with poor taste.

one thing that sucks about the remaster is that the tracks fade out instead of flowing into one another like they're meant to. Not sure why they made it that way.

Super jarring on tracks like Paperhouse > Mushroom and Vitamin C > Soup

I didn't like Can when I first started browsing Sup Forums. Now that I've heard more experimental music in general I find them to be great. You could probably get in to their singles though - I'm So Green, Vitamin C, She Brings The Rain and Father Cannot Yell are all quite normal songs.

They're also a bad entry point to krautrock IMO. For me modern krautrock bands made the most sense, and helped me get in to the genre.

I've only heard the remasters, but I'm very interested in the original versions with connected songs and audible hiss. Where Can I hear them?

Pic related is also a master piece 2bh.

Why is it so satisfying to listen to this band? I can't really put into words what I like about it, but it just scratches some kind of itch where it just feels immensely rewarding to listen to.

I CAN

Monster Movie is one of the most prophetic albums of all time. It really doesn't get the status it deserves.

I'm also interested in original versions of Can albums.

So what happened after Future Days? I never really see any albums after that being talked about.

Damo left after Future Days

The album right after, Soon Over Babaluma, is great.

From there it got real spotty

If Aumgn and Pecking O don't strike you as being noise tracks, then no but I'd say you're making your definition of what constitutes "noise" too strict in that case.

no, most people have shit taste

It's trancy, it rocks, it swings, and it's funky all at the same time. And it works.

Aumgm and Pecking O are more psychedelic freak-outs than they are noise, but there is only a slight aesthetic difference between a freak-out and a noise session.

CAN you kys

Everyone's saying Aumgn and Peking O, but really they aren't that noise based though. They are about as noise based as the actual influence for those tracks (free jazz), so maybe a little bit but not really, though probably to some extent an influence on later noise guys just like free jazz is.

Is he singing about seeing a cut cock on Mushroom?

>Modern krautrock bands

Such as?

I'm pretty sure it's about a mushroom cloud
>Well, I saw skies are red
>I was born and I was dead

the first song of this live has to be one of the weirdest and greatest performance I've ever heard.

youtube.com/watch?v=DKo73roXiec

Pretty sure the skies were red the day jews killed Jesus, makes sense with the born and death too.

So, definitely about cut dicks, I think.

You sure do like to think about dicks

I saw the keyboardist Irmin Schmidt talk once, and he talked about noise theory actually, about how he had learned about how open things could be from Stockhausen and Cage.

Their whole approach was noisey in a way. He said they really tried to play completely open and freeform, without forcing a structure.

But yeah, their sound was often pretty dissonant and jarring, and the singers were always a bit off and bordering on atonal or off-key at times

I love Can but I can't really get into other Krautrock. I can appreciate Neu on an artistic level but just as a listening experience it doesn't stick with me, and it's the same with a lot of Kraut jams. What's some more Krautrock like Can that is more song based?

youtube.com/watch?v=p8cUIDXlS6s

faust iv, not the meme album with the hand

I mean bands with significant krautrock influence like Stereolab, new Flaming Lips, and Tortoise.
tago mago is the hardest one to get into IMO. future days is a really easy listen and ege is in between. tago is much more patrician than future days. the true contrarian can album is monster movie for that matter.

I thought Future Days was the pleb one but that's just because it's my favourite I guess

This is right. People often think Tago's the best because of how abrasive it initially sounds and think that there's far more going on in than there is. The first half is mostly kinda weak psych jams over kinda cool drum parts, while the second half is shitty drum machines attempting to play free jazz but not being that good at it.

Ege is contrarian because while it's cool that they experiment with some sounds, they still haven't figured out how to put all the sounds together in a cohesive whole.

Future Days is the true patrician album because while it's easy to listen to, it's by far Can's most experimental work. The combination of the great percussion, additional percussive sounds, a melodic part, and a droney sounding chill part, is great and the foundation for a lot of music that went the route of using electronic sounds.

But they use tape manipulation, feedback and other electronic effects. Is it because there are live instruments? Bands like White Suns use live instruments too and they get referred to as noise.

>weak psych jam
What makes them weak?

Am I the only one that kind of hates the 2nd half of Tago Mago? I just can't get into the final 3 tracks.

lel

Yeah it's pretty bad.
I can't say I care all that much for Hallehluhwah, either.
If it was only side A and Halleluhwah was made twice as short - it'd be a fantastic album.

You can argue Aumgn and Peking O are ahead of their time or whatever, but even if so - over 25 minutes of such music does not go well with psychedelic rock. Also, innovative or not - it sounds boring and bad for the most part.

On one hand I can understand the appeal cause in terms of being experimental and unconventional these tracks do a lot for the album. But, it's jarring and the album feels too long. This is why I greatly prefer Ege Bamyasi and Future Days. They're more concise, especially Ege Bamyasi, that album is full of fairly short songs but there's a lot to them and they feel really organic and sound amazing. I'm probably missing the point.

First half of Tago Mago is pretty good though, but still wouldn't say that material outdoes the other two.

halleluwah is objectively one of the greatest songs ever made

>everyone complaining about songs being too long for their attention span

You guys really miss the point of the genre. These were jam bands of their time, there's plenty of psych pop music with 3 minute tracks out there you can listen to instead that's more mainstream appeal.

I do love long songs, multiple kinds, 7-10 minutes, 10-20 .But some do test my patience, and sometimes I just cannot find the interest necessary.

It's also a big discredit to say there's plenty of other psych that does 3 minutes track, I mean yes. But the free "jam" nature of Can certainly comes through in their shorter songs as well. That's something I love about them.

>new flaming lips

oh yes i also heard the krautrock influence on heady fwends and that miley shit

Heady Fwends is actually great and has the same krautrock influence that Embryonic and The Terror do

the terror is definitely their most krautrock-influenced album, but I really enjoy how much they've been experimenting in the last ten years

Lack of movement, variety, technique, etc. It's everything around them that's good (vocals, drums)

It's the truth senpai.

Listen to Manfred Schoof's European Echoes or any Cecil Taylor track with crazy drums. Free jazz did that idea first and better imo.

first track of that one is pretty Noise Rock tobehonestfamily

>those mixed reactions at the beginning
Sides begone!