>David Bowie
>The Clash
>Kate Bush
>The Smiths
>The Jam
>Led Zeppelin
>Pink Floyd
>The Kinks

Where did it all go so wrong after the 80s?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4AKMGlGuk_M
youtube.com/watch?v=GkP9psoUZ0w
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

We did electronic music better than anyone else that's what happened

It didn't.

Late 80s led into indie rock / dance crossover and Madchester acid house and the UK has rules electronic music since.

Britpop

It's funny because the only good artist there is Bowie. And maybe Pink Floyd f we're willing to ignore everything post-Animals

All these Are better than all these

(You)

Although Britpop definitely signalled the end of good British rock. We've had very few good rock bands in the last 20 years

Rock died, music changed, keep up with the times.

classic

kill yourself

bait

>muh twing twangs

Dad pls

Shoegaze was in its absolute A-game in the early 90s with Britain in peak.

>you're not allowed to like both

>Fat Boy Slim is better than The Beatles

>muh bloop bleeps

Kid, please

Did you go and see Chas & Dave on their tour last month?

I really wanted to catch Peter Sellers too.

Oh any old iron, any old iron..

Yes. Norm did more for modern music than 4 pop singers did.

If Floyd are dragged down by a couple bad post-prime records, why isn't Bowie who started off with an awful debut album in 67 and completely shat on his critical reputation throughout the 80s?

GOD BLESS HOOKY STREET
VIVA HOOKY STREET
LONG LIVE HOOKY STREET
C'EST MAGNIFIQUE, HOOKY STREET
MAGNIFIQUE, HOOKY STREET

>rock means pop rock

Because Floyd's post-prime records were musical holocausts. Bowie's bad records were terrible but not enough to bring down his overall quality

>implying shoegaze didnt happen

Not what I said at all.

I meant you must keep up with old 40s music too, see those tin alley singers too.

>pop singers
>implying they didn't play heavy metal, raga rock, doom metal, baroque, psychedelic rock, proto-drone, avant-garde soundwalls, blues, etc
>meanwhile fatboy slim plays bleeps and bloops

>let's dance
>never let me down
>reality
no, floyd overall had the best discography I'm afraid. even post-1979 they had moments

This bait is so weak dude.

post again when you're 18

I love Pink Floyd but Bowie had The Man Who Sold the World, Hunky Dory, Ziggy Stardust, Aladdin Sane, Diamond Dogs, Young Americans, Station to Station, Low, Heroes, Lodger and Scary Monsters in the space of a DECADE

>forgetting about the Zombies

I love Bowie but The Piper at the Gates of Dawn, A Saucerful of Secrets, Ummagumma, Atom Heart Mother, Meddle, The Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, and Animals all in the space of a decade is just as impressive to me

But Floyd never escaped their blandness, David Bowie never forgot to experiment.

I'll take Waters ego boosting and Gilmour guitar masturbation any day over shit like Laughing Gnome and Never Let Me Down.
Also, Bowie never really recovered from the 80s albums. People liked the post-Outside stuff, but no one really gave a shit. Not even after returning from his ten year hiatus were people that ecstatic. It was only after his death that people looked back on the late material more favorably.

>bland
this is by far the most overused and untrue criticism of Pink Floyd I see on a regular basis

>reality as an example of a bad album
Only the cover was shitty, m8.

>The
>The
>The
>The
>The

WHY

THIS IS THE DAY YOUR LIFE WILL SURELY CHANGE

no, reality (in reality) was real(ity) fucking bad

Truth hurts. They are very bland next to Bowie.

I don't deny that is an impressive feat but look at the range of styles and genres within Bowie's list. To go from hard rock/heavy metal, to glam/art rock, to soul, to krautrock, to disco, to electronic ambience, to rap, and other experimental styles, all in a space of time that short, and to have so much success each time, is pretty extraordinary

I think so too, and without question Bowie covered more ground, however, in response to I think I can kill two birds with one stone in saying that even though Bowie was more experimental and adventurous, I still feel Pink Floyd mastered a sound which hasn't been attained by anyone else in prog/psych (although they aren't REALLY prog), and I think their content is more well rounded in terms of songwriting, concept, production and musical arrangement etc.

although this is all subjective

>hard rock/heavy metal
The Man Who Sold the World wasn't fucking metal.
>krautrock
Only inspired by, the Berlin stuff is far from actually being kraut.
>disco
Didn't happen within your decade timespan.
>rap
Literally when the fuck did this happen?

But even though they mastered that sound with all those albums, Bowie mastered a number of different sounds with just a single album. Low for example is still held up as a gold standard for ambient rock. Ziggy is regarded as the pinnacle lf glam rock. Station to Station is arguably as good as funk rock can possibly get. He seemed to have this ability to drift between genres in brief stints but still master most of them. To me that is more impressive.

I'm not a guy who prides artists on how much ground they can cover in a short timespan. I could easily say that Pink Floyd perfected psychedelic rock, gave us the earliest forebear of post-rock we can find, or perfected progressive rock, but none of those statements necessarily mean anything when it's all subjective. In the end I feel that it's just a matter of how the projects they worked on came out as a whole and on that basis alone I feel that Floyd were more impressive, simply down to the fact that in the peak of their career, it's really hard to pick out a "dud" or "weak one" among their classics, apart from of course those who dismiss floyd altogether

>metal
That's why I said hard rock first, with some elements of heavy metal. The latter halves of The Width of a Circle or All the Madmen quite clearly incorporate metal. The album was largely inspired by Sabbath.
>krautrock
The first half of the song Station to Station
>disco
The second half of the song Station to Station
>rap
African Night Flight. It's practically Death Grips in 1979

Yeah I know what you mean, we'll have to agree to disagree. It's all just nitpicking anyway be ause it's entirely subjective as you say. I love both artists anyway.

>I love both artists anyway.
as do I

ITT: pardners

>heavy metal, raga rock, doom metal, baroque, psychedelic rock, proto-drone, avant-garde soundwalls, blues, etc

So just rock then.

>only knows Fatboy Slim
wew

>>The Beatles
Okay
>>The Rolling Stones
>>The Who
lol
>>David Bowie
Good
>>The Clash
lol
>>Kate Bush
Good
>>The Smiths
muh feels
>>The Jam
>>Led Zeppelin
lol
>>Pink Floyd
Okay
>>The Kinks
lol

Most of those are trash

How does it feel to be objectively incorrect while you try and force your shitty subjective opinion?

Close to half of the groups mentioned are some of the most important in music history, so your opinion is not only wrong, but stupid too.

your opinion is both wrong and retarded, congrats

Rock n roll will never die,faggot. Stop listening to nigger music and get your head out if your ass.

>it went wrong after the 80s

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Rock was just a shitty blip.

We did 'ardcore instead
youtube.com/watch?v=4AKMGlGuk_M

Sweet 'ardcore

youtube.com/watch?v=GkP9psoUZ0w

British electronic music >>>>>>>>>> American electronic music
easily

American electronic music is nothing but shitty stadium EDM

Who cares, rock > electronic

british music>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>american music

American music >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> British music

We have Silver Apples though, so Britain is pretty much just copying America since 1968.

Isn't Alix Perez Dutch? Pretty good list but it could be fleshed out more.