/prog/ general

haven't seen one of these in a while. you know the drill
>tip fedoras
>shit on modern prog you've never listened to
>masturbate over king crimson, vdgg and magma
>post obscure albums but make sure not to actually say anything about them
>get into dumb arguments about what qualifies as prog

pic related was pretty good for pure yes worship with microsoft paint dream theater tier artwork

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-miogNnC2NQ
youtube.com/watch?v=s1XeEx-Aruc
youtube.com/watch?v=ce-gWYI5NIQ
youtube.com/watch?v=w-LKWdSZNtA
youtube.com/watch?v=axUTMGej21s
youtube.com/watch?v=L3jVnnOB4yo
youtu.be/u8TWJadv65Y
youtube.com/watch?v=7-hyz1nTPpY
youtube.com/watch?v=1jsrDSGzp-g
youtube.com/watch?v=UjjYT90yFxE
youtube.com/watch?v=T_fBasRg4rw
youtu.be/Bx6BVoNV1_s
witness.org
petergabriel.com/focus/witness/
theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/aug/06/jeremy-corbyn-prime-minister-labour-leadership
thejethrotullboard.proboards.com/thread/2804
bigcatrescue.org/jethro-tulls-ian-anderson-advocates-for-small-wild-cats/
youtu.be/HLuv7lsvWco
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Gabriel
youtu.be/NIeO4IAhpGM?t=460
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

what about avant-prog

post whatever you want lil nigga

Still the best Swede prog and might be the best 21st century prog

thanks bruh

youtube.com/watch?v=-miogNnC2NQ

^ this shit lit

>post obscure albums but make sure not to actually say anything about them

accurate. people don't talk about albums in here cause they don't have a relationship to them.

I've ordered the novel snow goose, which the camel album is based on. anyone else do the same thing?

I've also read herman hesse - siddhartha which the close to the edge - yes album was inspired by.

Also, somebody recommended an arachnid album to me based on me liking amon duul. it's growing on me and it has potential as a regular listen. /fedora

you might like this
youtube.com/watch?v=s1XeEx-Aruc

down the rabbit hole, into the fair

It sounds like Reo Speedwagon and I like Reo Speedwagon

Yo yo my boys
Is it worth listening to The Great Deceiver? How are King Crimson live?

That's cringeworthy stuff

youtube.com/watch?v=ce-gWYI5NIQ

whats dank in 2016 besides this?

Well, what isn't "cringeworthy", really? What does "cringe" even mean now?

I've yet to find a better prog song than Love is a Fist

just gonna go ahead and post some of "my" classics..

youtube.com/watch?v=w-LKWdSZNtA

youtube.com/watch?v=axUTMGej21s

Italian prog isn't prog

i've read siddhartha but I don't particularly like the snow goose (album) anyway

i don't think supplementing your listening with further reading is a prerequisite for having a relationship with an album, but there's definitely a problem here with people posting shit just for the sake of some kind of cred despite this being an anonymous board

definitely. listen to as much live king crimson as you can, they're the kind of band that mixes things up a lot with old songs. I think I've got at least 6 or 7 live albums, and i'd say they're all worth listening to even if some of the 70s recordings (i.e. great deceiver) aren't the best audio quality. fripp has basically given up on releasing studio albums now, so you're missing out on the current incarnation of the band entirely if you don't listen to the live albums. seeing them next month.

whatever, I'm not posting for you

youtube.com/watch?v=L3jVnnOB4yo

Prog general is dead

>most of Sup Forums hates modern prog and doesn't know anyting apart from TMV, Steven Wilson and Tool
>same 70s Anglo prog bands posted over and over
>prog metal is uncool to like
>dmshareguy and gallifrey quit months ago
>avant math god keeps shitting threads up

Prog is my favourite genre, but discussing it on Sup Forums is pain

Cool, have you heard My Brother the Wind? More recent Swede prog.

youtu.be/u8TWJadv65Y

I'd rather have that than people jizzing over prog-by-number Italian bands
And thank god too
both retards that don't know shit
agreed that guy makes me want to kill myself

yeah, I don't actually do it to supplement the album, it's more of a "qualified recommendation". You know, "if they like the book that much they based their album on it, I'm probably gonna like it." and it works most of the time.

people tend to like the same stuff.

You can't really blame AMG for shitting up threads he's autistic and literally jacks off over arguing about stuff that he couldn't care less about
I worry for him.

I can't stand Hesse, I've read Steppenwolf (about twice for some reason) and a bit of Siddhartha (it's not as compelling as Steppenwolf imo).
The thing about Steppenwolf is that the main character is such a detailed persona that Hesse made to convey his own feelings of isolation with the world that it's fucking annoying.
He really poured everything into it, all of his thoughts and feelings into Harry and you can tell by just how desperate and pathetic he made him, it's a fucking car crash from the beginning to the end of shit that makes those manifestos by school shooters look silly.
I can't recommend that book enough, it is like reading a car crash and for some reason I keep going back and rereading excerpts of it.

I fucking hate that book.
They always sound like Beach Boys+Yes+ELO to me
I'll give Reo Speedwagon a go though.
I'll give it a swirl, thanks.

youtube.com/watch?v=7-hyz1nTPpY

anyone else heard the new opeth? I know Sup Forums doesn't like them particularly at the best of times but this trend of making generic prog and passing it of as some kind of evolution of the band is getting annoying. it's not bad, it's just bland.

i'm sure you already know this, but since i'm making this comment i'll just add that one of the guys from mbtw is in anekdoten which is the good version of what opeth is trying to do

I'm gonna try steppenwolf. I have a thing for outsider antagonists (taxi driver, natural born killers etc) and I would love a more detailed and contemplative description of the personality. sounds perfect, hope I hate it as much as you do.

I've also been thinking of reading albert camus and some book about a guy who can't make statements because he can't stand by anything 100% (excuse my shit synopsis). saw it mentioned in a documentary, maybe someone knows the title.

I'm listening to this as I read your comment

youtube.com/watch?v=1jsrDSGzp-g

my gf is watching the tudors and this has always been my favorite album

youtube.com/watch?v=UjjYT90yFxE

Were there any right-wing prog rock musicians?
I already have Zappa, Vander, and Peart. Anderson seems to be as well, and maybe Fripp too?

>most of Sup Forums hates modern prog and doesn't know anyting apart from TMV, Steven Wilson and Tool
Not me
Not me
Not me
Not really
Good

There is no reason to worry about me

Neal Morse since he is a Christian
Also most of Dream Theater probably

youtube.com/watch?v=T_fBasRg4rw
hello is fusion welcome

Sorry, meant to say
>Were there any GOOD right-wing prog rock musicians?
:P
Morse seemed to be nice to me, but I still wouldn't call him good. DT is semi-good though, and one of my favorite bands.

kate bush voted brexit

>DT is semi-good though,
>one of my favorite bands.

WHY ARE YOU ALWAYS FUCKING POSTING STUFF LIKE FUCK OFF

Not all brexit voters are right wing
And she's not prog btw

What's wrong?

More prog than fucking Cardiacs

>she's not prog btw

does this belong here?

You always post stuff like that it's hilarious

>I recognize that they're not good but they're my favorite :c C: im so quirky xD debate me faggit :3

DT is literally shit sans Awake and Images and Words

It's true though. There is a difference between music I enjoy and the music I consider to be good. The quirky thing has nothing to do with it.

It's funny how everybody says the same but always with a different album. Awake, Metropolis Part 2, Six Degrees, Octavarium, Count, etc.
Truth is, they were a consistent band regarding quality.

>DT is literally shit
Should have stopped there.

I listened to Images and Words once because people kept shilling DT and it sounded like a collaboration between Journey, Kenny G and the Return to Forever stuff. Some of the worst music I've ever heard.

You are autism incarnate and I don't think you're that bad tbqhwyf

Whats the most underatedd prog band and why is it Renaissance?

>Should have stopped there.
True. They are babbys first prog

inb4 avant-math gets mad at you for calling something underrated

I posted renaissance earlier in this thread

I don't get mad, but it's true they aren't underrated

Thanks bb

i am very good music listener and only listen to hard to listen and complicated heavy disonent jangles muisic so when i see is it is king crimson there is creepy smiles ear to ear because I KNOW that i am king of above the pop. time to escape the ground work people if you want real life music to be in your life

susumu hirasawa is one of my favorite artists, but his quality as a musician is not top tier, so I agree.

I don't really go after what I consider good though, only what I like.

>I don't get mad, but it's true they aren't underrated
You do it spikes your autism off especially when somebody mentions that medieval band

That Gryphon thing is because I think it's funny actually. I always see the same Gryphon being underrated post, it actually makes me think it's one of Sup Forums's most subtle memes ever.
I never get mad anyways.

I go after both (what is good and what I like), that's the best.

what did you think of the astonishing?

Why are you obsessed with the right wing?

Didn't listen to it.

I just think it's interesting to discover those bands, since it's usually assumed that musicians are left wing.

SPACE PROG INTENSIFIES
youtu.be/Bx6BVoNV1_s

no, the best is going after what you like.

Fripp and Jon Anderson are apol itical. Ian Anderson, Peter Gabriel and Brian Eno I know are left leaning to various degrees

>Ian Anderson, Peter Gabriel and Brian Eno I know are left leaning to various degrees
Any evidence of this? Particularly Ian Anderson (since I heard he was right wing).
>Fripp and Jon Anderson are apol itical
Were they really? Or did they just choose not to say? Because judging from Fripp's quotes, he seems to be right wing. No idea about Jon though, doesn't seem like one to me at least.

No, because by listening to music that is good you expand your musical taste and knowledge.

Gabriel and Eno are pretty easy to see.

>Gabriel's work with WITNESS/various human rights group are quite well known.
witness.org
petergabriel.com/focus/witness/

>Eno's opposition to Brexit/Support of Jeremy Corbyn
theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/aug/06/jeremy-corbyn-prime-minister-labour-leadership

Fripp only just cares about his music and it all belonging to him. He doesn't want anyone using it without his permission.

Jon Anderson doesn't give a flying fuck about politics.

As for Ian Anderson, he has said that he likes to keep politics out of his work, although he does apparently support several conservation groups.

>because by listening to music that is good you expand your musical taste and knowledge.
so thats why you listen to uptown funk pc music and the spice girls?

Uhm, supporting human rights groups doesn't make you left-wing. Neither does being against brexit.
The Corbyn thing makes sense though.

>he does apparently support several conservation groups
Which ones for example?

Nah, that's because I like them. PC music is good though.

listening to good music follows naturally if you seek music you like. it's a means to and end.

very rarely do I listen to music exclusively because I want to understand it. there's always some preliminary hint that tells me I might like it if I understand it.

>supporting human rights groups doesn't make you left-wing
LOL

Only recently have I realized how amazing Hybris is, probably my favourite prog album. King bore Vandringar i floobbity flibbity flop

I don't really agree, since it could cause taste stagnation, and I think we can both agree that's a bad thing.

>very rarely do I listen to music exclusively because I want to understand it. there's always some preliminary hint that tells me I might like it if I understand it.
Whoa, what a pleb!

What's wrong with you!?

my god you talk like a fucking robot

>needing proof of Peter Gabriel being a liberal
He wrote fricken BIKO.
THE Anti-apartheid song.

As for Ian Anderson
Political Views
thejethrotullboard.proboards.com/thread/2804

Conservation
bigcatrescue.org/jethro-tulls-ian-anderson-advocates-for-small-wild-cats/

it doesn't cause taste stagnation, cause I like new things and expanding horizons.

>what a pleb
You might have misunderstood me if you thought I meant a hint within the music itself. generally there is a recommendation, review, or other cultural link that serve as a hint.

Yes, and that's cool.

>needing proof of Peter Gabriel being a liberal
I'm not really into him, that's why.
>THE Anti-apartheid song.
Doesn't mean you are right wing because of that though.

Thanks for the links btw

>I like new things and expanding horizons.
How can you really be sure? 14 year old 9gag users believe the same, and we both know they don't do neither.

The pleb thing was a joke anyways

>he still thinks Corbyn was opposed to Brexit
I've got some news for you user...

Okay that makes a bit more sense

Gabriel has had a long and famous career being a human rights advocate besides being an experimental musician.

He has headlined several human rights benefit concerts and has worked with Nelson Mandela on "The Elders" project, which has tried to end conflicts and take action to address Human Rights violations.

His work with WITNESS I have already linked to you
youtu.be/HLuv7lsvWco

He opposed the Iraq War, the Bush administration and Tony Blair's involvement.

He also condemned Rush Limbaugh (US conservative radio host) using his music without his approval

And that's all from his Wikipedia page.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Gabriel

>what i'm interesting in? glad you ask! i'm in the process of compiling a number of my favorite non musical related aspects of human existence

Holy shit

But none of those things would make him left wing (although it is indeed very likely from that alone). Except for the radio host, that makes more sense, yet at the same time the reason seems to be "using his music without his approval" instead of "US conservative radio host".

You know, such a list would actually be very interesting.

autism

/prog/, give me something weird and aggressive like King Crimson. I just listened to Moon Safari and they filled my Yes quota, but now I want something on the other side of the genre.

The Flying Luttenbachers

wtf, everything qualifies as prog, thats the point of the genre. I takes together all other things into one creation, it is the ultimate genre.

Post dope prog basslines

youtu.be/NIeO4IAhpGM?t=460

>but still no loli megane gf
Iiktfb, too well

Later Ruins albums

They suck cock

>They suck cock
Whoa? No!
I don't really like Ruins anyways. I love the bands who were inspired by them though.

what bands are inspired by them

Naked City, Yowie, Ahleuchatistas, Upsilon Arcrux, Sajjanu

all those bands suck compared to ruins :/