Non english speakers, how hard would you say english is to learn?

non english speakers, how hard would you say english is to learn?

I speak german and japanese and japanese is by far the hardest language I have ever come across, german is piss easy as its basically english with swapped words and you stick the verb at the end

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tfRSvTSY0d4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>how hard would you say english is to learn?
3-4/10, relatively easy even for a Russian speaker, but I guess it's mostly because of English is modern lingua franca so you hear English words here and there from the very childhood.

I would like to learn conversational russian, but the sheer amount of word endings scare me

It's pretty understandable even with wrong endings, learn basic forms, you'll be able to communicate.

1/10
Languages that would be hard to learn from here is baltic/slavic, semitic and almost all asian languages.

Do you like Putin?

Not the question I would expect in a language thread, kek.
He's not the worst. He's doing good in foreign policy, but not doing enough for our economy, the country has been stagnating over the recent years. He was the leader we need in 00's, but I'm not sure his third term is necessary now. It's time for him to give up the presidency to someone more innovative and less conservative.

You only put the verb at the end in subclauses.

Main clauses follow the Subject Predicate Object structure.
Sub clauses follow the Subject Object Predicate structure.
>OP ist eine Schwuchtel, die Schwänze lutscht

It's way easier than Russian, i guess 4-5\10. I know many people could say it's easy but i think it's because of a) long time with the language b) same or close family language (swedish\german\spanish etc).

t. Linguist 5 Slavic, German, Swedish into Chinese atm languages.

English is probably the easiest language I know of, its only problem is thay you can never know how a word is pronounced until you hear a native say it, and even that may be regional.

You're kinda lucky if you're into languages.
How i see a typical Estonian.
>Estonian native
>Russian fluent
>English up.inter\fluent

>Russian fluent
I doubt Estonian youth speaks perfect Russian.

I'm Esto-Russian myself.
You're a little wrong in that though, younger Estonians actually know very little Russian, unless they have Russians in the family, or live in a region with a lot of Russians (around Narva for example), or they just paid attention in school.
My rule of thumb for the Baltic countries, if you ever travel here, is to use English to communicate with younger people, use Russian to communicate with older people.

It's relatively easy even for Asians and piss easy for Europeans. Why? Because of media exposure. You can learn the hardest two things just by living now: understanding of base concepts of the language like word order and your first 2000 words. Literally have to live in a locked basement to not get there by the time you're 17-18.

I'd say, objectively, Persian is English that is not lingua franca: its largely analytic, it has a lot of periphrastic patterns, has a lexicon of mixed origins etc. Yet its too different from English so you can try it out and judge your performance. Unlike Scandinavian languages, Dutch, Frisian etc. They are too close to English which makes the experiment biased.

English is easier for me compared with college level math.
I'm struggling with Mandarin and that strikes me as excruciating.

>german is piss easy
I'm teetering between German and French to learn.

English is babbys first foreign language

>its only problem is thay you can never know how a word is pronounced until you hear a native say it, and even that may be regional.
i recently figured out that the second b in "bomb" is silent

Can you say squirrel?

2 / 10 if you play vidya listen music and watch movie in english
5 / 10 if you don't

As a frenchman, I've learned English and Italian, and tried Icelandic and Chinese (Mandarin). English was by far the easiest, even though Italian is closer to French, there are tons of special rules and weird conjugations (just like French) that makes it difficult.

Also, the dominating US culture may help.

Grammar wise rather easy, but I'm getting tired of the ridiculous amount of vocabulary that one should know merely to appear literate or formal when discussing advanced topics.

While I never studied German the traditional way, I believe it doesn't have the same problem and that it would be a significantly less tiresome job to write a news article on politics or economics for example

Probably one of -if not the easiest language to learn

Just watching movies and playing videogames gets you all the way after having the basics explained in like one class

This

I'd say 0/10 if you start young

or at least get the basics at a young age

It's extremely easy, coming from a person whose native language isn't even Indo-European.
I don't think I've had a single issue with studying the language ever since I started learning it in 8th grade, and the same goes for most of my friends.

But I guess it has to do with the fact that basically all movies and TV series here are being broadcast in English.

Incredibly easy to learn, but speaking it fluently can be a bitch if you aren't used to certain pronounciations

Extremely easy. I learned without any paid tutoring and I'm sure I have a very high proficiency.

The spelling of Nietzsche is unmistakably wasting some letters

>its only problem is thay you can never know how a word is pronounce

True.

youtube.com/watch?v=tfRSvTSY0d4

>It's time for him to give up the presidency
haha good one

he will be president for life even when he's not the president every third term

That's why you should never learn from books

>mfw I discovered Leicester is pronounced "Lester"

the "leice" part seems to be of French origin, which would make sense.

日本語は慣れたら全然難しくないよ

knowing the characters you're a lot further than english people learning either chinese or japanese. what do you have the most trouble? Tones?

my chinese teacher says that japanese people have trouble pronoucing ri

N is a normal n
ie is a long i (as opposed to a short i)
tz is like ts, you can't really remove either of those letters or the pronounciation changes
sch is like sh, but in German we don't write sh, we write sch
e is a normal e

There are no wasted letters in this spelling

> tz is like ts, you can't really remove either of those letters or the pronounciation changes
you already use z for ts
> sch is like sh, but in German we don't write sh, we write sch
not an argument

It's awkward to be unable to pronounce ri because Japan is called "Riben" in Mandarin.
I can't even say where I'm from...

2/10
simple language for simple slaves of the Eternal Jew

Aushalten - to withstand
Ausschalten - to turn off

Using sch instead of sh helps avoid mispronunciations. If we were to change sch to sh we'd need to find a new way to write what we pronounce s-h.

Can't really argue against the z thing, though reading the same word with tz and z in my head sounds different in a way i can't quite describe. Probably just me not being used to reading the words that way.

No cases, the personal pronouns are most of the time the same, are you kidding me? 1/10, no banter. It IS among the Top 5 easiest languages in the world to learn.

Also because I spoke German, it was even easier. Ich esse Brot. I eat bread.

>pronounciations
I learnt that's not the proper way to spell it a few months ago

>german is piss easy

C'est littéralement la langue la plus dure a apprendre pour n'importe quel Européen...Espagnole, Portugais et Italiens sont tous bien plus facile...pour mon gros cul de Frenchie dans tous les cas...

Easy as fuck.

Barely any conjugation, no genders, no grammatical cases, you barely have to worry about making mistakes because native speakers say shit like "he don't" or "I'm doing good" on a daily basis, there's more resource & reasons to learn it than any other language on the planet, and the language is generally very forgiving.

Pronouncing it properly is definitely a pretty difficult task, however, made all the more confusing by the fact that if you don't focus on learning one specific accent, yours will always be all over the place. But being good enough to basically communicate - but still obviously be a foreigner - is fucking easy

Les Québecois sont le plus terrible hommes du monde.

Ah cmon Klaus...arrte de faire ton fake anglo...j'adore l'Allemagne, je dis juste que votre langue est de la merde incompréhensible de sauvages Germaniques...

Oauis, d'accord avec toi.

>Pronouncing it properly is definitely a pretty difficult task

Pour un Frenchie lel...ca me fait toujours rire les negres de France incapable de prononcer, The...

I can't understand how English tenses work

Literally 0,2/10. I was able to hold a conversation with people in England as a seven year old.

Learning english is piss easy. Just watch cartoons.
Try to learn chinese. That's the hardest. Fuck that.

fluen in inglese, but my lithuanian staggers to due to circumstances. I'd love to know Russian, but only for the sake of usefulness, don't want to use it to be conversing often, slavshits need to fuck off hard.

1. fucking articles the/a
2. fucking do\does am\is\are have\has when you can easy to use only "did" in past time, similarly it would be easier to use only "do" in present, eg
3. fucking several forms for times

5/10

C'est bien, bon chienchien qui parle bien la lanlangue à son maîmaître

>C'est bien, bon chienchien qui parle bien la lanlangue à son maîmaître

Si la France ne nous avait pas abandonné comme des chiens de fond de baril, on ne serait pas obliger d'apprendre cette langue de merde, Adrien le petit cocu...

It very hard to understand what are you saying. Also, do you realise that your orthography ia fucked out? Russian is a pretty wierd too (it's a meme that we have a phonetical letter), but you have a fucking hieroglyphs, except a normal rules.

the problem is the volume. not the difficulty. you literally have to memorize everything. the same goes for any other language, especially when the language you learn comes from a different language family

are you kidding, japanese vocabulary is like 80% english

if you can sound out katakana you can literally read a good amount of japanese

English is so easy that even Americans can learn it.

2/10