/grimes general/

Discuss the nicest Canuck in the music biz, Claire Boucher (aka Grimes).

READ FIRST
genius.com/Grimes-i-dont-want-to-have-to-compromise-my-morals-in-order-to-make-a-living-annotated

-Medieval Warfare debuts on Zane Lowe this week, confirmed via Zane Lowe himself. Hype?
-She's only playing at festivals for the rest of her tour. Anyone catching any of these?
-Who would you like to see her collab with?

Leave your opinion on her music
>best
>runner-up
>worst
>underrated
>overrated

Try to keep it music related, and be nice to Grimes! (and each other you sadistic fucks)

Other urls found in this thread:

grimes-claireboucher.tumblr.com/post/20918620365/grimestyle-be-a-body-video-previews-omfffffg
youtube.com/watch?v=n9_oK44mbY0
youtube.com/watch?v=Fb_0LzBv894
youtube.com/watch?v=-rVIx3VbJTM
youtube.com/watch?v=N9XKLqGqwLA
last.fm/user/chairmandore/library
youtube.com/watch?v=Vi76bxT7K6U
youtube.com/watch?v=jLi4VM7Wybo
youtube.com/watch?v=aHrzzdr0J_M
lupa-j.tumblr.com/post/131754642903/grimeshrine-actuallygrimes-be-a-body-video
electronicbeats.net/self-liberating-an-interview-with-grimes-part-2/
youtube.com/watch?v=lhNxvoXOKcI)
youtube.com/watch?v=MnW5yB5hqUI)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>the nicest Canuck in the music biz

Kid Koala > Grimes

WHy you cut out d'eon??

Just a reminder grimes fan on Sup Forums are just trolls wanting to seek attention by forcing a decent artist on Sup Forums and making everybody pissed.
Really pathetic desu.

>A good post in a grimes thread
Good on you user.

rare grimz

Looks like we struck a nerve.

>a decent artist
>Grimes

>posts Fantano
>thinks his argument holds any weight anyway

link me a video of Grimes playing the violin grimebrahs

he's d'eon and wants that pic forgotten forever

Grimes is the only one that matters, the sweet lovely world princess

these are some great grimes! where did you find them?

guys I'll not be able to study everything
please pray to grimes so I only get questions on stuff I studied

good luck user, and may grimes send her blessings to you!

Stumbled upon them after I searched "grimes picture plane" a while back

nice meme

hope the questions are easy as fuck my dude. what subject at what level of schooling?

So glad we live in an age with colour photography and where bath selfies are not frowned upon in the slightest, she really has got that sex factor.

Those tour diaries have grating as fuck audio what the hell is that

sociology, I'm studying anthropology to specialize in archaeology
in my country college is free but first year (where I am) is an admission year so you don't have "your career" subjects, I'm mainly interested in history
hope grimes smiles on me and it goes well, if it doesn't I can always try again in summer, it'd kind of suck for my gpa but i have 5 years to improve it
thx for the good wishes

shitposting in the grimes thread. wooo hey

Collab, when?

I though real artists never mimicked, are we post-art now?

how big are grimes areolas. has she got tiny little ones or big tea cup ones covering her whole little titty.

>real artists never mimicked
bad artists mimic
great artists steal

more like this

I think she definitely has small areolas, it must be the prettiest thing in the world

what is with this grimes nonsense?

anyone remember this?

Dammit, now I can't stop thinkin' about it

Sleigh Bells are pretty good, but too one-note. Grimes is on a whole new level. She's the best artist of this decade.

grimes-claireboucher.tumblr.com/post/20918620365/grimestyle-be-a-body-video-previews-omfffffg

at least sleigh bells had some musical merit, and did something a little out there. if only slightly.

Beautiful perky tits

I hate the fact that I want to see grime boob, but I want to see grime boob.

Excuse me, I think you didn't even listen to Grimes. Sleigh Bells are fun and that's all about them, Grimes is an experimental synthpop-dreampop artist that makes critically acclaimed emotional music:
youtube.com/watch?v=n9_oK44mbY0
youtube.com/watch?v=Fb_0LzBv894
youtube.com/watch?v=-rVIx3VbJTM
youtube.com/watch?v=N9XKLqGqwLA

Perky and beautiful, indeed.

what did you get

>best
Be a Body

>runner-up
Artangels

>worst
Hedra

>underrated
Angel

>overrated
Oblivion [still great]

AGHHHGH stop posting pics of my future wife!

cant tell if troll.

only given the terrible people that post here, and summer.

cant tell if troll.

only given the terrible people that seem to post in these threads every day, and summer.

I'm not trolling. Listen to her music.

here you go friend

tfw the Grimes haters don't realize that she's great for real...

I have.

it is all derivative dance music with psuedo-indie feels, which is just edgy enough to appeal to masses (but importantly not enough people to make it mainstream), which just sickens anyone who likes music. I mean look at the fanbase - young (female) people who kind of like music, but at the same time aren't that bothered, and want something to create an image off of.

similar memes were had with crystal castles.

she is certainly an image people like. i wouldn't go as far to say great. depends on what your classification of great is, and how easy impressed you are.

this is a good picture

>it is all derivative dance music with psuedo-indie feels
That's bullshit. You didn't listen to those songs I posted. You judged Grimes based on her poppiest album, Art Angels, which it's still amazing regardless of its genre. Also how it's her music derivative if there are no real similar artists to her?

>which just sickens anyone who likes music
Gross generalisation made someone unsure of his taste in music. Your opinion is not the voice of the people who like music. Discarded.

>I mean look at the fanbase - young (female) people who kind of like music, but at the same time aren't that bothered, and want something to create an image off of.
>not separating the artist from his/her fanbase
"gg". Her fanbase is way more diverse than your stupid assumption based on Grimes' look and voice. For instance, there are lots of old synthpop fans (Depeche Mode, OMD, Pet Shop Boys, The Human League, Yazoo, Japan, Tears For Fears) that love her melodic music.

>similar memes were had with crystal castles.
Crystal Castles were great too. I think you have a problem with the electronic music. You don't get it, so you're mad at those who enjoy it.

Don't risk it

>Anonymous
Laid the smack down on that candy ass

Suck a pen15.

I understand your passion, really I do.

I have listened to most of her discog, and opened the links you provided, out of respect, but that doesn't matter huh.
anyway, the songs you posted kind of affirm my point. blandish dance music with a sprinkling of edge, trying to touch on the likes of portishead and massive attack. but I get your angst i really do. grimes is original and has never listened to any breakcore or the likes of labradford, so she wouldn't know where she gathers her references from.
you're correct however, I don't like dance music very much, but I believe my understanding of electronic music is fair.

but like i said, if someone attacked my favourite artist, I'd argue back too.

Apparently, Art Angels' rating on RYM is on ascending trend. Mark my words: in 10 years it will be regarded as a classic.

These actually aren't grimes, at least the nipple

>I have listened to most of her discog, and opened the links you provided, out of respect, but that doesn't matter huh.
Then why did you say it's "all derivative dance music with psuedo-indie feels"? Derivative of what? How it's a song like Grisgris or Sagrad dance? Just because it has beats? Do you even know what synthpop means?

>trying to touch on the likes of portishead and massive attack
What has to do her music with trip hop? How do you know she tried that?

>blandish dance music with a sprinkling of edge
(You)
Dance music, my ass.

>grimes is original and has never listened to any breakcore or the likes of labradford, so she wouldn't know where she gathers her references from.
She listened to a lot of stuff you have no idea, from Russian classical to the weirdest IDM. Take a look here (her old Last.fm profile): last.fm/user/chairmandore/library

>you're correct however, I don't like dance music very much, but I believe my understanding of electronic music is fair.
I doubt it. If your understanding of electronic music would be fair, you would know that a very large part of it is based on.. you guessed it, beats. The fact you put synthpop under the dance umbrella makes me think you have a bias against catchy music. It's your problem, dude.

And speaking of Massive Attack, explain why do you consider this beat heavy song to be non-dance:
youtube.com/watch?v=Vi76bxT7K6U

and this Grimes song to be dance
youtube.com/watch?v=jLi4VM7Wybo
?

youtube.com/watch?v=aHrzzdr0J_M

True. It's not hers. Anyway it's not confirmed, so we can only make assumptions.

This is pretty inconsequential if you have a big enough mouth.

We need one of her exes to release their hidden sex tape to really know but then she might become too famous too quickly and ruin her underrated ""image"" that she has worked so hard for.

all artists maintain the allure of ambiguity, however she is the first to do it with her sexuality.

I would be made the happiest man alive if grimes were ever to outright ignore me in person... let alone if she rejected me.

My dream is for more Grimes music. She's taking a break on touring this autumn... Do you think we can expect her b-sides album next year?

I hope so.

I hereby claim this Medieval Waifu

How many albums can any old artist shit out in any given time frame, isn't usually 8 weeks stints? I think waiting years is a farce that proves they are reliant on anticipation and afraid of upsetting their existing fan base too much.

she's never had 8 weeks off before.

She hasn't had a day off since 2012. Be nice to Grimes.

Imho she needs to chill the fuck out. If she keeps working herself to death like she is, she's going to die like Alexander the Great. And that's far more offensive to me as a fan than it is if she released a bad album.

You don't know Grimes. She needs a lot of time to make her albums, to create and edit all those little details. She did her album Visions fast and she wasn't 100% content with it. But for Art Angels she took her time (around a year) to make it as great as it could be possibly be. Not counting that she discaded another album between Visions & AA because she thought it wasn't good enough.

>grimes will die after drinking chugging an exorbitant amount of unmixed wine in the near future
say it isn't so, user

I'm deadly serious on this anticipation farce that every one in the "music" industry does instead of producing music. She could make more stuff and have a chance at it being more passable then her current pop excretions but obviously she would rather ride the wave of light appreciation for ever.

>have a chance at it being more passable then her current pop excretions
Rdiculous opinion. Art Angels > your favorite album.

>Imho she needs to chill the fuck out.
For better or worse she is clearly a perfectionist where her art is concerned, and that's just how those types roll.

an 8!! I was expecting a 6 or a 5 really, maybe my dream of having an avg grade higher than 9 in my career is possible, I can get a scolarship by getting an avg grade higher than 8
there were 4 questions and one of them was about the only two authors I didn't study (foucault and weber) and I didn't answer it
so I didn't get lucky with the questions but I did good, our prayers to grimes worked
I also was the one who shared her livejournal here, but I begged for forgiveness and she seems to have conceded
grimes is a powerful. kind and forgiving goddess

that's an interesting thing that I've never thinked about, I kind of agree with you

no, now that I think about it I don't agree with you in regards to grimes, she tours a lot and if she didn't want to "upset her fanbase" she would have released visions 2
art angels is a big big fuck you to all of her elitist fans

I do agree with your point of view in regard of other artists though

>foucault and weber
Why didn't you study them, they are the most interesting apart from MacIntyre. What were the questions?

>Those eyebrows
>That whole face
>Grimes in general
For someone who has such a skill as a producer, such a natural talent as a musician to also be so attractive...

How is anyone supposed to compete? How is it even possible that such a being could exist without violating the laws of the universe?

For those still wondering why the Be a Body music video never saw the light of day:

>this might never see the light of day cuz it’s a pre-4ad video (budget of $136!) ;)
am thinking of using the footage for an elite gymnastics video? have to work it out with everyone else involved
lupa-j.tumblr.com/post/131754642903/grimeshrine-actuallygrimes-be-a-body-video

It's weird how Grimes not only have talent to make great music, but also quirky personality and appearance. Could you imagine anyone else making her music? I can't.

What is Grimes' most emotional song?

Sometimes I almost miss the trolls in these threads... ALMOST.

Even if she released the blueprints on how to be and act all grimes-like and get attention I wouldn't do it, I respect her too much and just want to follow her off a cliff.

I did study a weber text (social actions), but foucault and weber were kind of last in my list because they were the longest texts that I hadn't read (well in theory I guess I had but procastination), and I also didn't go to the classes where they were explained (I didn't went to like 80% of my classes though I need to get my shit together in regards to that)
the texts were: foucault - security territory population, the weber one I can't find in english

Secretely or sincerely we all love Grimes.

nahh last thread we didn't have any haters I think and it was the comfiest thread ever

Maybe even some haters. But they will never admit it.

Not in that pussy stank stance.

Yes, the last thread was surprisingly good.

The secret to making great music is to make it all about being yourself. That way you never have to truly worry about competition, because you are the only you there is.

hey boys
what's the most patrician grimz song?

>no, now that I think about it I don't agree with you in regards to grimes, she tours a lot and if she didn't want to "upset her fanbase" she would have released visions 2
That's right. A logical thing would be to release another Visions-like album, if Visions proved to be her breakthrough. She risked alienating her fanbase by making a poppier album, Art Angels. But she won the bet. True artists are taking risks.

Oh i see. So just say things that can't repeated to the same effect like "accept all your flaws, focus on them and become nostalgic about them" that way my followers would become too busy being depressed to compete. Good thinking.

fuck

Omega / Favriel / Hedra / Shadout Mapes / Hallaways / Colour of Moonlight / Fifteen Minutes To / Scream / that Improvisational Jam (CKUT.ca Radio 2010).

DIsclaimer:

>...for me it’s not a contradiction to consume both high culture and Harry Potter or some Japanese mangas. Pop art still appeals to me the most. I guess it has to do with the way I grew up in the 2000s. I like to see a film like Kill Bill as much as I do like watching Solaris. Both experiences are potentially inspiring. Or take dancing: lots of people say that dancing is just a waste of time, but to me it marks a key difference between animals and human beings. It takes a high level of intelligence to interpret music, especially as something you can dance to. It’s spiritual. It’s liberating. If someone can make you dance to their music, it’s a pretty amazing skill. Same goes for all the pop art that touches you emotionally in a split second. I can’t see anything negative in that. I sometimes get the impression that people mistrust their feelings. I try not to do that, just like I try and trust simple ideas and things that are stripped down to the bare essentials. I think it’s a sign of having mastered something.
>Are you referring to your own music?
>Actually, I would say it’s true of the last Katy Perry record. There are so many people who call her songs easy and so cheap, but to use elements of pop that so many people have used before and still make such an amazing record—that’s awesome. I mean, her songwriting is really on parade, as is the production. A million people are trying to make pop songs all the time, and you’ll listen to all sorts of failed attempts on the radio every day. To succeed in a medium that everyone is working in is a huge achievement, if you ask me. It takes a lot of intelligence and talent for sure.
electronicbeats.net/self-liberating-an-interview-with-grimes-part-2/

With that said I'd also say that CKUT improv (youtube.com/watch?v=lhNxvoXOKcI) although imo pretty much any time she improvs fits the bill (eg. youtube.com/watch?v=MnW5yB5hqUI)

Grimes does not make music. She channels spirits orgasming from another dimension.