I propose a new rule where anytime you shit on an album you must include in the comment a similar album you think is...

I propose a new rule where anytime you shit on an album you must include in the comment a similar album you think is superior. That way if you're shitting on my favorite band or something I can know if you're just ignorant or if you might actually know more than me.
Using pic related as an example if someone were to shit on it and recommend say All of a sudden I miss everyone by Explosions in the sky I would know they probably just don't have the attention span for GY!BE vs if someone were to recommend like Soundtracks for the blind or The Ascension over it then I would know they might actually know what they're talking about to some degree. Just a thought

I dont have a similar album to recommen when shitting on GYBE cause i prefer entertaining music.

or, instead of that, what you could do is anytime you shit on an album you could offer legitimate thought-out criticisms rather than spouting buzzwords or resorting to hollow fanbase criticisms

but that's dangerously close to actual music discussion

well if you're just looking to be entertained then shitting on Godspeed is like shitting on french toast cause it doesn't drive you to work

yeah I think you're right but you know baby steps

>wants to be entertained

wow spotted the pleb

What does Godspeed do?

they made post-rock a lot more digestible to a lot more people for one. But for me personally they offered a certain degree of introspection as well as humbling me back when I was really into them

Yeah, but i meant the music. It just put me to sleep when i listened to it.
If it puts you in an introspective mood thats cool, but a lot of that is you - not just a subjective emotional response but actual action you take in introspecting in response to gybe.

replied to the wrong comment but fuck it

Do you approach music hoping to be bored? Is the world around you super neat and you just listen to music to get a break from the constant fascination? Maybe we just have opposite viewpoints.

Pic related over Art Angels

so... why don't you like goodspeed?

I'll post this whenever Joy Division gets mentioned as the pinnacle of Post-Punk.

I don't really know what you mean. Are you asking about what part of the music corresponds to my own introspection? because it's mostly in the dynamics and some of the ways they played with tonality
I don't dislike them I just think I've moved on from a point in my life where they could be the pinnacle of music for me. I really appreciate that they got me into a lot of interesting and challenging bands though
yeah exactly. Now I know you're not anti Joy Division because you think that like Interpol or The Smiths is better or something silly like that

good choice

Pic related over Hounds of Love

Pic related for The Stooges and any Proto-Punk.
>Now I know you're not anti Joy Division because you think that like Interpol or The Smiths is better or something silly like that
Exactly. I know Joy Division is great in some respects, but I feel This Heat upped the ante a few years later.

I've actually never heard of that. I'll have to check it out

Nah, like what's the point/intention/aesthetic behind this unentertaining music that I could potentially understand about it. You said I shouldn't be looking for entertainment from it but I don't know what it's for, or it's reason for existing.

okay so your question is basically what can art do other than entertain and of those things which does the GY!BE record in question do. Well there are lots of apocalyptic themes on the record. Themes of decay of the self of the society and of the world at large expressed overtly (in field recordings) and a little more subtly (in the instrumentation going through cycles of rise and fall). All of these themes are things I would argue to be very much worth thinking about and not particularly entertaining to do so either

>If you don't like my album then post your favourite album so I can shit on that as well

Holy fuck I like GY!BE but this literally can't be what you actually think?

I don't understand. Which part literally can't be what I actually think?

That sounds pretty interesting. Maybe I'll give it another listen. I didn't catch that when I listened to it years ago.